For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: What is LIFE ?

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:45 am
Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:41 am
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:13 am

Longevity is something I doubt I will have. Already at the age of 55 my brain is deteriorating, possibly with early onset Alzheimer's or dementia. I kind of wonder if I'll make it past my 60s. But that's just as well. Mental illness, sleep apnea, and other conditions have destroyed any love I might have had for life. If anyone needs to perish young, then I suppose it best be me.
Have you considered the KETO diet? The brain and heart work much better on ketones than they do on glucose.
At age 62 I have found this year my mental acuity has increased by banning carbohydrates and processed foods from my diet. This has also allowed me to control hunger to such a degree that I have managed to reduce the number of meals to one or two a day, and I have lost 45 lbs in the process.
I have been a serial dieter all my life and followed the guidelines dutifully avoiding fat. But all that happened was that each time I got hungry and tired; tired of counting calories too. And as time passed my "normal" weight increased, despite annual lost of up to 20lbs.

With intermittent fasting and carb avoidance I no longer have trouble sleeping; I think more clearly; I have reversed my pre-diabetes; reversed my fatty liver; reduced my asthma and sinusitis.

I now enjoy fish, meat, eggs, butter without guilt; but I eat more brassicas, and salad foods than before, and do not miss the bread, pasta, rice, chips, and sweet things to which I was previously addicted.

There are really good metabolic reasons why this has all worked and I am now healthier than I have been for 30 years.

I only wish someone had told me about all this 10 or more years ago. And that is why I wanted to share my experience with you.
I tried the Keto diet for a while about a year ago. I actually stayed on it for about 5 or 6 months and lost about 30 lbs. Gained it all back when I gave up the diet. Just couldn't stay away from bread and pasta. Maybe I'll give it another try. I don't remember feeling any sharper on the diet, however, I wasn't really paying much attention to that aspect. I was more interested at the time in losing weight. Thanks for the tip.
30lbs is a lot.
It's a shame you went back to pasta. Ask yourself - was it really worth it. Pasta is pretty bland.
Some find it works to have a cheat day once a week to satisfy any odd cravings. As a rule of thumb if they are under their weekly target they can relax.

The mental sharpness is probably more to do with the intermittent fasting than the keto. The keto contributes the satiation which makes the fasting possible. When your body has adapted to burning body fat then hunger is pure psychology and not driven by hormones.
The carbs instruct the body to store fat, by suppressing the Leptin receptors. When you are burning your own fat the only feelings of hunger are through mental expectation by habituation and the physical empty stomach. Drinking some water can steady the stomach, so you just have to habituation yourself to expect fewer meals. This only takes 3 days or so.

For the most part I lived on one meal per day. I waited till about 3pm, and cooked from scratch non processed food. Despite being on keto I've probably had more veg than any year so far. Just no rice, grains, potatoes or other root veg. Maybe a carrot in my homemade coleslaw was the only major exception.
The only time I broke this pattern for variety was to eat some dense grain bread, but nothing with flour. And xmas I was back on the sugary crap for 3 days.

I've followed this regime for 370 days and have no intention of going back to the old bad ways.
The only blood marker that worries the doctors, but not me, is LDL. All other blood markers are in the right direction.
It turns out that high LDL is not a problem because it is only a specific type of LDL damaged by glycation that is problematic to atherosclerosis, and they do not usually measure that. It also turns out that older people with high LDL live longer because LDL is part of the immune system.
I 've lower my BP meds and stopped 3 other medications.

I'm the weight I was 35 years ago, and healthier than I have been in 20 years.

It's become a bit of a hobby horse, as I've read several books on metabolism this year and as work is quiet post-lock down, I've made this my main interest.
bobmax

Post by bobmax »

Ferdi wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:58 pm
Humans have each their own free will, thus can act good or badly. Animals also have a free will and a memory, but I am not aware of animals having a conscience. Plain logic tells me that there will be a reason for all such aspects and that we, humans with our human intellect, conscience and free will, must carry a responsibility for our actions and that we, at the instant of our death, will be held accountable for our free-willed actions. I dare say so, because to me “making of decisions” leads to results, “good, bad or in between”. Life would make no sense if we were not “called to account”.
On death, our life in our body departs from our body, departs from our earth. It is logical that our life then returns to wherever all lives come from at Birth, which is the infinite space of the Universe in which we are born and live and die. On death our earthly knowledge and intellect are instantly replaced by INFINITE knowledge and wisdom. The quality of our earthly behaviour will then be instantly clear to, and judged by, ourselves. That judgement will be with us for eternity beyond our earthly comprehension. All the other humans, good and bad, starting with the so called Adam & Eve, will be there, all with infinite wisdom, beyond our mere earthly concepts of Time, Space, Good and Bad.
My conclusion: Life is whatever makes you tick. Life will give you your “free-will” which imposes a responsibility for your actions. You will ultimately be judged by yourself with infinite wisdom and “be” with that forever.
In my opinion, you attach too much importance to your logic without considering the weakness of its assumptions.

All of your reasoning is based on the existence of free will.
A faculty that is in no way proven by how the world works.
Because everything that happens follows the law of necessity or of randomness (provided that randomness really exists).

Therefore nothing to do with individual free will.

You also assume that the individual self endures eternally after death.
Another arbitrary "truth".

In my opinion, you should instead consider what is really important in this life.
And then the responsibility will expand dramatically!
But without there being any individual free will.
You will realize this if you let yourself be taken by compassion for this painful world.
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

For: BOBMAX.
I‘ve had 95 years on planet earth of which 25 in NL, 18 in NZ and 52 in Australia, i.e. on both sides of the world. Thus I have fair idea about how our painful world works and what is important in life.
We act on assumptions non-stop, with every movement you make.
Are you not aware that you have a free will? It is a fair, logical assumption that there will be a reason for us having a "free will".
“Self” endures after death, because self is then in INFINITY beyond our concept of time.
bobmax

Post by bobmax »

Ferdi wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:26 am For: BOBMAX.
I‘ve had 95 years on planet earth of which 25 in NL, 18 in NZ and 52 in Australia, i.e. on both sides of the world. Thus I have fair idea about how our painful world works and what is important in life.
Are you not aware that you have a free will? It is a fair, logical assumption that there will be a reason for us having a "free will".
“Self” endures after death, because self is then in INFINITY beyond our concept of time.
I'm 2/3 your age.
And I wrote to you because I sense sadness in your words.

I certainly feel that I have free will, but this feeling is wrong.
This awareness is really hard to achieve. Because it means realizing that one's individual self is an illusion.

I think you are a righteous man. In fact, the just man can only get to the point of judging and condemning himself. Forever.

The game of life would seem to end like this. But is not so.

That's why I asked you what's really important.
Because what is important above all is the true meaning of life.
It moves the world, because it is the very search for yourself.

What matters is love.
It is always love that decides everything.
It is therefore the only freedom.

It begins as selfish love for one's self.
But It cannot thus satisfy itself, and so he extends its interest to the other.
Until you condemn yourself for the love denied to the other.

But in the end, just as you have condemned yourself, you will end up acquitting yourself.
When your individual self fades away, because it was never real.

And you will recognize who you really are.

Compassion for this aching world is the key to returning to yourself.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

bobmax wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:15 am
Ferdi wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:26 am For: BOBMAX.
I'm 2/3 your age.
Bobmax, Y don't U leave Ferdi alone on account that you sound like a git.
bobmax

Post by bobmax »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:53 am Bobmax, Y don't U leave Ferdi alone on account that you sound like a git.

I wouldn't want Ferdi to go away sad, because there's no reason to.
He has come a long way, one more step would be enough for him.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

bobmax wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:39 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:53 am Bobmax, Y don't U leave Ferdi alone on account that you sound like a git.

He aint sad git.

..and pray tell...wot would this last step be?
bobmax

Post by bobmax »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:44 am
bobmax wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:39 am
He aint sad git.

..and pray tell...wot would this last step be?
The last step is to let yourself be taken by compassion.

Until you become compassion yourself. Then you will find yourself at the origin of all things...

And you will begin to understand who you really are.
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

Thank you sincerely Seeds. As you may see it has been deleted.
I would also like to know how to enter my comments on any entries by others. I have done it many years ago but have forgotten the correct procedure
Now referring to your extensive Referal site. Thank you for that, you must have spent a considerable part of your LIFE on that. You made it very easy for me to glance through it beause it revealed that you believe in God. I grew-up with that, got indoctrinated by it and used that belief for some 70 years of my life.
I had landed myself into a very difficult and secret public task, that took all my concentration during the "working hours." I used some of my free time to relax, such as by "Flying Gliders which is indeed Heavenly "up in the clouds" requiring 100% concentration.
After I retired from being a "Professional Slave" I bought a Business with I ran with our oldest unmarried son for a couple of decades, bought a piece of land in the dunes, had a house built to our design with the help of an Architect, sold our business, moved into that house and now the 3 of us live here, with our oldest son looking after us oldies.
It is only since retiring that I have had time to think about Life on Planet Earth. I had stopped going to Church and come to my own conclusions about LIFE such as that "Gods" and "Holy Books" are products of human imagination.
God did not place us on Earth. We arived on planet earth as a consequence of the natural "in-born" SEX-DRIVE". With the "benefit of hindsight", I feel guilty indeed of having placed 4 children in this crazy world. They are 4 old people by now and I have told them that while I am proud of their achievements, I regret having placed them in this Human-run environment.
Thet great benefit of hindsight made me come to that conclusion.
If God existed all human actions would be due to his creations and we could blame God, who is beyond our reach. Nature can be cruel and humans make life difficult. Greed is the problem.
Last edited by Ferdi on Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Ferdi wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:33 am Why has no one answered that very simple question of “What is Life”?
DNA consuming DNA in a twisted bid to replicate its own DNA.
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

Deleted by Ferdi.
Last edited by Ferdi on Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Ferdi wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:07 am I apologise for my Entry of 13-1 somewhere here above which was what my very old brain dished out. I followed it up some days later with an emailed request to the Moderators to delete that Entry but for some reason that has not been done. I would welcome anyone’s advice about how to delete that entry. If any Moderator read this , please delete my 13-1 entry
Herewith hopefully a better version.
Ferdi, here's how to self-delete something you're not pleased with:

First, make sure you are signed in.

Next, click on the "edit post" button at the upper right-hand side of the post you want to address (it's the square button that has what looks like a little pencil in it).

That will then give you the window that will let you either make changes to your original post, or, if you simply want to make it all vanish, then delete all of the text in the window and hit the submit button.
Ferdi wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:07 am What is LIFE?
I suggest that the answer to that question is intimately tied in with the question of...

..."why is there somethingness rather than pure and utter nothingness?"

In other words, from where did anything whatsoever (life, matter, energy, time, space, etc.) come from?

And I'm afraid that that's a question that is so perplexing that I have often wondered if even God knows the answer.
Ferdi wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:07 am Have you thought about where the ”YOU” in you will go to, on your death? When YOU depart from planet earth while your body stays behind. YOUR body still looks like you for a while but it will start to disintegrate and offend. It has to be disposed of as waste, to be burned or buried. But where will YOU have gone?
Those who know me will probably suggest that I have thought about it a little too much. Indeed, so much so, that I have written and self-published a couple of books on the subject.

And for a quick glimpse of where I think we go (or what happens to us) after death, click on the following link to view a short column of fanciful illustrations on my website...

http://www.theultimateseeds.com/murmurings.htm

What I propose happens to us after death is wonderful beyond our wildest dreams.
_______
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

Thank you Seeds. As you my or may not have noticed: I have managed to delete that useless entry of mine of 13-1-'23 as per your helpful notes, but as to be expected from my old brain it then erroneously entered there my reply to you, making that lot out of the date-ordered sequence. We live and learn !
Toppsy Kretts

Post by Toppsy Kretts »

I ask numerous people i meet to think about this answer, the meaning of it all. would someone who lived there life so efficiently to combat and to love flowers, maybe save lifes by curing some type of disease render life as a system to benefit others?

i personally think that lifes system if any would be to LEAVE SOMETHING BEHIND?̶̡̧͍͕̺̔̇̐̆̀̇͗̿̚̚?̶̩̘͚̱͔͇̻͔̰̃͆̔̿͛͒͑?̵͔̈̀̕?̶̨̺͇̱͔͆̓̆̓̽͋͐̚͝?̷̜͂̃̒́͆͆̍ Would that not be a plausible outlook upon the conditions in which we live in? There is a saying that we all die twice, once when we take our last breath and another when someone says our name for the last time. What if life is like a game??? The highest score stays on the leader board? the ones who accomplished more that someone else. not that anyone at the smaller end of the leader board is any more less than the ones at the peak, though if you present yourself more often and complete more task your remembrance is more likely to be registered in peoples minds as someone who "lived"

homeless poeple dont have funerals.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Toppsy Kretts wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:48 pm

?̶̡̧͍͕̺̔̇̐̆̀̇͗̿̚̚?̶̩̘͚̱͔͇̻͔̰̃͆̔̿͛͒͑?̵͔̈̀̕?̶̨̺͇̱͔͆̓̆̓̽͋͐̚͝?̷̜͂̃̒́͆͆̍

:?