What is LIFE ?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: What is LIFE ?

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:02 am
Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:58 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:53 am Yes, I feel that too...but unfortunately I think this God c**t is going to make me exist again!!
Keep on dreaming.

I have no interest in this idea of yours, as nothing in your experience could have led you to this delusion except fear of death or a bang on the head, maybe.
Oh...if you had experienced what this God entity put me through last night (dream wise) after I called Christ a few nasty expletives.

Nevermind. :roll:
yeah, nevermind
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Ferdi wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:52 am LIFE is not a tangible thing, it makes us "tick". We cannot hold LIFE, cannot preserve it in a bottle. LIFE is our label for an abstract concept.
We can not see LIFE, can only sense its presence. We cannot “see” life entering or departing. We can only, “sense“ when LIFE is present or absent. We cannot “see” a heartbeat, but can only sense its presence or absence. At a birth LIFE may or may not enter. If LIFE has entered the foetus had a successful birth. Not until then does the foetus become a baby, which is: a new unique human being with its own unique LIFE and DNA. Prior to that, it was a part of its mother, growing in its mother, connected to and using its mother’s LIFE, NOT its own LIFE. It cannot not have its own LIFE because it still remains to be seen if it will or may not receive its own LIFE at its birth.
On death, LIFE departs. Again, we can not ”see” LIFE departing, we can only use one of our senses to confirm its departure. Being ALIVE and HAVING LIFE are 2 distinct different phases of LIFE.
Thus to make it quite clear: LIFE is whatever it is that has obviously departed on death. We cannot see it because LIFE is NOT of our dimensions. LIVES come from and logically return to the all penetration Universe right here wherein we live.
LIfe and death are not things, they are just descriptions of states.
Life does not enter, neither does death.
This best explains your reflections here.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Age wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:23 am
Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:28 am The real question is how does a collection of chemical processes and molecular structures give rise to ideas, mind, and the yearning after meaning.
What does 'real question' mean or refer to, EXACTLY?
from time to time I check up on those I have placed on "ignore".
For this contribution I looked no further to see exactly why I'm ignoring Age.
It's not just the obsessive meaningless capitalisation, but most posts seem to try to unpick but say nothing.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:24 pm
Age wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:54 pm But people who are Truly HELPFUL do NOT just CLAIM 'things', and then just IGNORE the 'student'.

Truly HELPFUL people KEEP GOING UNTIL they reach A POINT when they know NO MORE.

See, as long as the 'student' wants to KEEP LEARNING, then Truly HELPFUL people KEEP 'teaching'.

Also, and by the way, 'you' have been Truly HELPFUL, to what 'I' AM TEACHING here, "harbal".
I'm more than happy to be of help, Age, but every time I think I understand what you mean or what you want I seem to get it wrong.
REALLY, EVERY time?
Harbal wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:24 pm I sometimes read your interactions with other posters, and I can see (what I perceive to be) the misunderstandings between you just spreading out like a ripple in a pond.
Which may be the case SOME times.

But, also what might be the case is that I have FULLY, or at least PARTLY, completely UNDERSTAND what was being SAID and MEANT and had just MOVED ON, although the way I write here may just give an APPEARANCE that I do not. ONLY through CLARIFICATION does thee ACTUAL Truth become KNOWN.

I suggest if ANY one thinks or sees absolutely ANY 'misunderstanding' in my part, from the VERY FIRST OUTSET of 'it', then they just CHECK to SEE whether I have ACTUALLY have ANY 'misunderstanding' or NOT, instead of just letting 'it' spread out like to said, and see here.

If you would like to bring ANY examples from previous times when you have seen A 'misunderstanding' spreading out like a ripple in, or on, a pond, then I, for one, would LOVE to have a LOOK AT 'it' also and SEE if 'it' was ACTUALLY A 'misunderstanding' or mine or NOT.
Harbal wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:24 pm Most people simply don't apply a mathematical type precision to their language.
And I NEVER used to also. I, however, found that the biggest cause of most of the CONFUSION and MISUNDERSTANDING, in the 'world', was because of SUCCINCT USE of words and/or a LACK OF Truth telling/speaking/writing.

I also VERY RARELY apply a so-called 'mathematical type precision to my language' outside of a philosophy forum or philosophical discussion either.

But, considering what 'philosophical discussions' were ONCE MEANT TO BE ABOUT, applying 'this precision' here, in this forum, I do NOT seeing as being inappropriate AT ALL.
Harbal wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:24 pm As much as that frustrates you,
NOTHING 'frustrates' 'me'. There are, however, feelings/emotions of 'frustration', which arise now and then. But, I am NOT sure that "others" NOT applying a 'mathematical type precision to their language', itself, brings about those 'frustrating' 'internal feelings'. As I ALREADY KNOW FULLY WHY that type of language had NOT YET evolved into BEING, in the days when this is being written.

I would say that ALL of the 'frustrating' 'feelings' arise because of my complete lack of ability to communicate and be heard, YET.
Harbal wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:24 pm you will have to accomodate it if communication with others is important to you, and it is obviously very important to you.
Oh I have been accommodating 'it' for a long while now, and as I say I am in NO rush as I am still just in the process of learning HOW to communicate BETTER (with 'you', human beings).

By the way, the last part bracketed becomes CRYSTAL CLEAR when 'I' have been FULLY UNDERSTOOD here.

Also, through and from 'your' completely Honest views, like above, 'you' do NOT YET REALIZE just how Truly HELPFUL 'you' REALLY ARE BEING here.

The MORE OPEN and Honest with 'your' views here, the MORE "others" can ASCERTAIN, EXACTLY, how those people REALLY did 'think' and 'view' 'things', back in the days when this was being written.

IMAGINE, if the people's, back in the days WHEN they BELIEVED that the sun revolved around the earth, BELIEVED that the earth was flat, or BELIEVED a myriad of OTHER 'things' that ended up being NOT true AT ALL, and they had WRITTEN DOWN their ACTUAL 'thoughts' and 'views', future generations would have first hand EXAMPLES of WHAT TO 'think' and what to NOT 'think', and, in what way HOW TO 'view' and 'look at' 'things' and what way HOW to NOT 'view' and NOT 'look at' 'things'. This is VERY CLUMSILY WORDED but, hopefully, some of it 'got through' and is understood.

Post by Age »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:58 pm
Age wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:23 am
Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:28 am The real question is how does a collection of chemical processes and molecular structures give rise to ideas, mind, and the yearning after meaning.
What does 'real question' mean or refer to, EXACTLY?
from time to time I check up on those I have placed on "ignore".
Which seems rather CONTRADICTORY, and HYPOCRITICAL. But each to their own.
Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:58 pm For this contribution I looked no further to see exactly why I'm ignoring Age.
It's not just the obsessive meaningless capitalisation, but most posts seem to try to unpick but say nothing.
Well OBVIOUSLY, if 'you', or "others", IGNORE and/or just DO NOT SAY ANY 'thing', in regards to what I am TRYING TO so-call 'unpick', for CLARITY SAKE, then there, literally, REALLY IS NOTHING SAID.

And, if absolutely ANY one ACTUALLY LOOKED AT what I ACTUALLY WROTE and SAID, then they can CLEARLY SEEN that I had ACTUALLY ANSWERED 'your' so-called 'real question' here, FOR 'you', "sculptor".

BUT, 'you' can NOT YET SEE 'this' BECAUSE ALL 'you' can REALLY SEE is an 'OBSESSIVE AMOUNT of MEANINGLESS capitalization'.

But this one here is just ANOTHER EXAMPLE of one who can NOT SEE 'the trees from the forest', as some might say. That is; I have ALREADY INFORMED the MEANING of WHY I capitalize SOME words. But this one has PROVEN, AGAIN, when people can ONLY REALLY SEE ONLY 'that' what they have ALREADY CHOSEN to BELIEVE is true.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:53 am
Yes, I feel that too...but unfortunately I think this God c**t is going to make me exist again!!
R I P assured, the you that you think you are will never happen or appear ever again. You are never the same entity from moment to moment. You do not even know what is going to happen until it has already happened, and what has already happened does not exist.

So, rest assured, you will never happen again. Nature never repeats exactly.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:30 am
Harbal wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:24 pm I'm more than happy to be of help, Age, but every time I think I understand what you mean or what you want I seem to get it wrong.
REALLY, EVERY time?
I can use this as an example of something you might want to consider. Had we been discussing a scientific experiment it would have been important to specify whether something happened every time, most of the time, or just sometimes, but, for the purpose of what we were talking about, the frequency of the referred to occurrance wasn't really important. It doesn't affect the principle that I was trying to explain. The point I am making here is that it is better not to waste time and effort on things that aren't necessary. A discussion can become tedious and people tend to lose interest quickly. Just stick to what is relevant.
I suggest if ANY one thinks or sees absolutely ANY 'misunderstanding' in my part, from the VERY FIRST OUTSET of 'it', then they just CHECK to SEE whether I have ACTUALLY have ANY 'misunderstanding' or NOT, instead of just letting 'it' spread out like to said, and see here.
Misunderstandings work both ways, and I agree that all involved should do as you suggest, but some people -quite a lot, actually- tend to jump to a conclusion without choosing a suitable landing place first. You can usually tell whether you have been understood by the response you get. If it doesn't seem quite appropriate, it's best to clarify things before carrying on. You might say that it is the responsibility of your interlocutor to make himself clear and unambiguous, but if he seems to be neglecting that responsibility, and you want to make progress, your only choice is to take on that responsibility yourself, which means that you are going to have to put more thought into what he is writing than he is. I know it's a pain in the arse, but that's just the way it is, I'm afraid. :(
If you would like to bring ANY examples from previous times when you have seen A 'misunderstanding' spreading out like a ripple in, or on, a pond, then I, for one, would LOVE to have a LOOK AT 'it' also and SEE if 'it' was ACTUALLY A 'misunderstanding' or mine or NOT.
No, I don't keep a record of such occurrences. If you would like me to bring it to your attention when I perceive it to be happening on some future occassion, I will do that, but only if you ask me to. This kind of situation, where misunderstandings go unnoticed by those involved, but seem obvious to anyone else following the conversation, are not unusual. I think we all suffer from it to some extent.
But, considering what 'philosophical discussions' were ONCE MEANT TO BE ABOUT, applying 'this precision' here, in this forum, I do NOT seeing as being inappropriate AT ALL.
I agree with you again. I often think that not enough attention is being paid to precision of language. You can only work with what you are presented with, though. If people won't play to your rules, but you want to participate in the game, you just have to put up with it, and make allowances for it.
Oh I have been accommodating 'it' for a long while now, and as I say I am in NO rush as I am still just in the process of learning HOW to communicate BETTER (with 'you', human beings).

By the way, the last part bracketed becomes CRYSTAL CLEAR when 'I' have been FULLY UNDERSTOOD here.
Until it does become crystal clear, would it be detrimental to your long term plan to dispense with the type of comment in the brackets? I feel it neither encourages a receptive, nor a cooperative attitude towards you.
Also, through and from 'your' completely Honest views, like above, 'you' do NOT YET REALIZE just how Truly HELPFUL 'you' REALLY ARE BEING here.
I'm delighted to think I'm being of help. :)

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:28 pm
Age wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:30 am
Harbal wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:24 pm I'm more than happy to be of help, Age, but every time I think I understand what you mean or what you want I seem to get it wrong.
REALLY, EVERY time?
I can use this as an example of something you might want to consider. Had we been discussing a scientific experiment it would have been important to specify whether something happened every time, most of the time, or just sometimes, but, for the purpose of what we were talking about, the frequency of the referred to occurrance wasn't really important.
But how do you KNOW that this is NOT a scientific experiment in and of itself?

Also, if it was NOT REALLY IMPORTANT, then it would NOT matter that I INFORM or SHOW what thee ACTUAL, IRREFUTABLE Truth IS, EXACTLY, instead, correct?

And, if it does NOT REALLY MATTER, then I can INFORM or SHOW in ways that I like to?
Harbal wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:28 pm It doesn't affect the principle that I was trying to explain.
If 'you' think or BELIEVE that Falsehood do NOT affect the principle that you were trying to explain HERE, then so be it.

But, to me, Truths AND Falsehoods REALLY ARE IMPORTANT and REALLY DO AFFECT 'things' HERE.
Harbal wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:28 pm The point I am making here is that it is better not to waste time and effort on things that aren't necessary.
Then that is ALL 'you' HAD TO SAY.
Harbal wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:28 pm A discussion can become tedious and people tend to lose interest quickly. Just stick to what is relevant.
The title of this thread is; 'What is LIFE?'

Now, let us take a LOOK BACK and SEE how many, and WHO, ACTUALLY STUCK to what is REALLY RELEVANT here. Which, to me, would be just ANSWERING the ACTUAL ONLY QUESTION posed and asked.

Also, all I did with your above quote is just ask 'you', 'REALLY, EVERY time?'

So, if 'you' REALLY WANTED to STICK with what is RELEVANT here, then just say either, Yes; or, No.
Misunderstandings work both ways, and I agree that all involved should do as you suggest, but some people -quite a lot, actually- tend to jump to a conclusion without choosing a suitable landing place first. You can usually tell whether you have been understood by the response you get. If it doesn't seem quite appropriate, it's best to clarify things before carrying on.
That is a GOOD suggestion.

What do you propose is the BEST WAY to CLARIFY 'things', before carrying on?
Harbal wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:28 pm You might say that it is the responsibility of your interlocutor to make himself clear and unambiguous, but if he seems to be neglecting that responsibility, and you want to make progress, your only choice is to take on that responsibility yourself, which means that you are going to have to put more thought into what he is writing than he is. I know it's a pain in the arse, but that's just the way it is, I'm afraid. :(
Okay, but I do get accused, and maybe quite often, of putting TOO MUCH 'thought' into what I WRITE and SAY here, and/or of wasting to much time and energy on things that are NOT necessary.

See, one person's 'more thought' is another 'person's' 'waste of time and energy on what is NOT important or NOT necessary'.
No, I don't keep a record of such occurrences.
Okay, so there is absolutely NOTHING for 'us' to LOOK AT now, but maybe in the future AS SOON as 'you' SEE a perceived MISUNDERSTANDING on my part, then 'you' WILL provide 'it', hopefully.
Harbal wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:28 pm If you would like me to bring it to your attention when I perceive it to be happening on some future occassion, I will do that, but only if you ask me to.
YES PLEASE. I would LOVE 'you' to do that "harbal". So, if 'you' EVER see or perceive absolutely ANY MISUNDERSTANDING from 'me' will 'you' PLEASE 'it' to 'our' attention here?

Harbal wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:28 pm This kind of situation, where misunderstandings go unnoticed by those involved, but seem obvious to anyone else following the conversation, are not unusual. I think we all suffer from it to some extent.
I would SAY that 'this' has HAPPENED to ALL of 'us' here, and FAR MORE OFTEN than 'we' would REALLY like to KNOW.

I KNOW things going UNNOTICED happen FAR MORE OFTEN that I EVER want 'it' to happen.
I agree with you again. I often think that not enough attention is being paid to precision of language. You can only work with what you are presented with, though. If people won't play to your rules, but you want to participate in the game, you just have to put up with it, and make allowances for it.
There is NOTHING that I just 'have to put up with', as I SAY, I am just here to LEARN HOW to communicate BETTER.

Until it does become crystal clear, would it be detrimental to your long term plan to dispense with the type of comment in the brackets?
It could be. But we would NEVER KNOW if 'it' was dispensed, completely.

The more I think about what you said and wrote here, the more I think it would be detrimental to my long term plan to dispense with the type of comment in the brackets.
Harbal wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:28 pm I feel it neither encourages a receptive, nor a cooperative attitude towards you.
But WHY in relation to 'me'? I thought 'philosophical discussions' were about LOOKING AT the WORDS, ALONE, and NOT LOOKING AT nor FOCUSING on the 'one' DELIVERING the WORDS.
I'm delighted to think I'm being of help. :)
That IS GREAT.

ALL completely Honest views are WELCOME, and REFRESHING.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:23 am But how do you KNOW that this is NOT a scientific experiment in and of itself?
I don't know that it is not, so if it is, disregard my comment.
Also, if it was NOT REALLY IMPORTANT, then it would NOT matter that I INFORM or SHOW what thee ACTUAL, IRREFUTABLE Truth IS, EXACTLY, instead, correct?
The extent to which it would matter would dependon on how important it was for you to keep your reader's attention.

Now, let us take a LOOK BACK and SEE how many, and WHO, ACTUALLY STUCK to what is REALLY RELEVANT here. Which, to me, would be just ANSWERING the ACTUAL ONLY QUESTION posed and asked.

So, if 'you' REALLY WANTED to STICK with what is RELEVANT here, then just say either, Yes; or, No.
In that case, my answer should have been, no.

It seems you are also able to teach me a thing or two, Age. :)
I only know of one way, which is to ask for clarification.
Okay, but I do get accused, and maybe quite often, of putting TOO MUCH 'thought' into what I WRITE and SAY here, and/or of wasting to much time and energy on things that are NOT necessary.

See, one person's 'more thought' is another 'person's' 'waste of time and energy on what is NOT important or NOT necessary'.
Just make an effort to keep things as clear and concise as possible, that's the most you can do.
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote: I feel it neither encourages a receptive, nor a cooperative attitude towards you.
But WHY in relation to 'me'? I thought 'philosophical discussions' were about LOOKING AT the WORDS, ALONE, and NOT LOOKING AT nor FOCUSING on the 'one' DELIVERING the WORDS.
The personal impression you make on someone, even a philosopher, will affect the way he relates to you. For reasons that remain a mystery to me, some people seem to find me irritating, and it certainly shows in the way they communicate with me. :|
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Life is uncertain, while death is certain.
The only certainty is uncertainty.
Death and Life are not two different states. They are different aspects of the same state.
That's what is Life. What Life IS. Life is death. And death is Life.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:58 pm
Age wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:23 am But how do you KNOW that this is NOT a scientific experiment in and of itself?
I don't know that it is not, so if it is, disregard my comment.
The extent to which it would matter would dependon on how important it was for you to keep your reader's attention.

In that case, my answer should have been, no.

It seems you are also able to teach me a thing or two, Age. :)
I only know of one way, which is to ask for clarification.
Sounds familiar.

Just make an effort to keep things as clear and concise as possible, that's the most you can do.
But that would defeat a purpose I have here.
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote: I feel it neither encourages a receptive, nor a cooperative attitude towards you.
The personal impression you make on someone, even a philosopher, will affect the way he relates to you.
That would only be to one who is 'judgmental' right?
Harbal wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:58 pm For reasons that remain a mystery to me, some people seem to find me irritating, and it certainly shows in the way they communicate with me. :|
If you are being serious here, then this just SHOWS and PROVES how each ACTUAL 'person' can be MISJUDGED, and solely, literally, because of just letters spelled out on a screen.
shelby

Post by shelby »

Life is the aspect of existence that processes, acts, reacts, evaluates, and evolves through growth (reproduction and metabolism). Life is composed of organisms that have the ability to take in energy from the environment, use it to sustain and grow, and release energy and waste products in the form of metabolic byproducts.
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

To DON’T ASK ME.
You did not ask me but I will try to tell you because you may need to know. This will be like: ”A Blind leading a Deaf”. I can only tell you what LIFE is, in my opinion.
The word “life” is our label for whatever it is that makes things alive and grow. LIFE is “that” which enables a “fertile” seed to grow, using the elements from the environment in which it has landed. “Fertile” means that it is fresh, not “dried out” and that it has been fertilised with sperm. If you have done any gardening you may have been caught by sowing some seeds that did not germinate. You will have concluded that the shop had sold you ”old” Seed. You may have gone back to the shop with your receipt to obtain “fresh” seed.
Such event could have made you realise that even a simple healthy seed is ALIVE before it comes to LIFE, before it grows into whatever, and it may produce seed, but it will eventually come to its end when it dies. Thus: LIFE comes invisibly from the space in which we live, i.e. the Universe, and logically, will return to the Universe in which we live and which surrounds our planet Earth.
Have you ever considered that e.g. your mobile phone works by being selectively tuned to its unique wavelength, that one specific wavelength amongst all the countless other wavelengths in our environment? Those are only the human-made waves; its total number will be infinitesimal compared with nature’s waves.
LIFE is driven by the infinite “waves” of SPACE in which we live, beyond our comprehension. All lives come at birth from that SPACE , and on death will logically return to there i.e. the infinity of the space in which we live on Planet Earth, a mere speck in the infinite Universe; one of countless such specks of various sizes, beyond our imagination.
We are born as the consequence of nature’s male and female sex-drive. We do not ask to be born and we are NOT all born equal. Some may have a bad start and others a good start; be it human, plant or animal.
Humans have each their own free will, thus can act good or badly. Animals also have a free will and a memory, but I am not aware of animals having a conscience. Plain logic tells me that there will be a reason for all such aspects and that we, humans with our human intellect, conscience and free will, must carry a responsibility for our actions and that we, at the instant of our death, will be held accountable for our free-willed actions. I dare say so, because to me “making of decisions” leads to results, “good, bad or in between”. Life would make no sense if we were not “called to account”.
On death, our life in our body departs from our body, departs from our earth. It is logical that our life then returns to wherever all lives come from at Birth, which is the infinite space of the Universe in which we are born and live and die. On death our earthly knowledge and intellect are instantly replaced by INFINITE knowledge and wisdom. The quality of our earthly behaviour will then be instantly clear to, and judged by, ourselves. That judgement will be with us for eternity beyond our earthly comprehension. All the other humans, good and bad, starting with the so called Adam & Eve, will be there, all with infinite wisdom, beyond our mere earthly concepts of Time, Space, Good and Bad.
My conclusion: Life is whatever makes you tick. Life will give you your “free-will” which imposes a responsibility for your actions. You will ultimately be judged by yourself with infinite wisdom and “be” with that forever.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Thank you Ferdi for your rather enjoyable description of this unknowing existence as it has been conceived to be in it's own conception of this unknowing known.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:41 am
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:13 am
Ferdi wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:24 am Several of you have asked how I managed to get to this very old age of 95.
I am the middle one of 5 children and, may be the foundation to my good health was laid in 1938 when, at my age 11, our father purchased a single rowing Scull. He did not row but we lived along one of those canals in the Industrial area of Amsterdam North. Sometimes we played in the water. We could not swim but used a piece of wood to keep our head above water. A scull is better and safer. One of the neighbour’s kids was found drowned, but not while playing with us. May be that made father get that Scull. It was an unusual craft, had a rudder and a fixed seat wide enough for a passenger, and ropes to the rudder for steering. It had also a holder for a short mast and a small sail, for sailing in light winds. I rowed it a lot. By 1947 I had rowed through all the canals of Amsterdam. That rowing may well have laid a good foundation for my health. I am of average height and over more recent decades I have maintained my weight at 68 Kg by weighing myself regularly and by adjusting my daily food-intake accordingly.
Relevant also may be that I spent the whole of 1948 in the Dutch Army for Compulsory Military Training to be shipped to the then Dutch Colony of Indonesia which had declared to want its Independence. That created much street fighting in Indonesia. During the most recent ages many Dutch people had gone to live and work there. The Dutch Government decided to send some of its Soldiers to assist keeping order. However, Indonesia being many times larger than Holland, it required a very large number of troops, which had to be recruited, were trained, given an Tropical Anti Viral injection and then shipped to the other side of the globe for PEACE keeping there. I did successively 6 months of brutal Infantry training, followed by 3 months training to become a Sergeant, and was then ordered to go to the Officers training Camp for another 3 months of training and brainwashing about leading troops. At the end of those 12 months only my name only was called out to stand aside. I was then instructed to present myself at the Camp Commander’s Office. He told me that the Ministry of War had decided that I would serve the Nation even better by becoming a Civil Engineer. The Commander handed me a written Honourable Discharge and he said that the Ministry of War would call me if my service would be required in the future. I am pleased to have missed out on Indonesia because I heard much later that my best-friend at High-schoool had lost his life there in some event.
My longevity may well be due to the very intense Infantry training in 1948.
Longevity is something I doubt I will have. Already at the age of 55 my brain is deteriorating, possibly with early onset Alzheimer's or dementia. I kind of wonder if I'll make it past my 60s. But that's just as well. Mental illness, sleep apnea, and other conditions have destroyed any love I might have had for life. If anyone needs to perish young, then I suppose it best be me.
Have you considered the KETO diet? The brain and heart work much better on ketones than they do on glucose.
At age 62 I have found this year my mental acuity has increased by banning carbohydrates and processed foods from my diet. This has also allowed me to control hunger to such a degree that I have managed to reduce the number of meals to one or two a day, and I have lost 45 lbs in the process.
I have been a serial dieter all my life and followed the guidelines dutifully avoiding fat. But all that happened was that each time I got hungry and tired; tired of counting calories too. And as time passed my "normal" weight increased, despite annual lost of up to 20lbs.

With intermittent fasting and carb avoidance I no longer have trouble sleeping; I think more clearly; I have reversed my pre-diabetes; reversed my fatty liver; reduced my asthma and sinusitis.

I now enjoy fish, meat, eggs, butter without guilt; but I eat more brassicas, and salad foods than before, and do not miss the bread, pasta, rice, chips, and sweet things to which I was previously addicted.

There are really good metabolic reasons why this has all worked and I am now healthier than I have been for 30 years.

I only wish someone had told me about all this 10 or more years ago. And that is why I wanted to share my experience with you.
I tried the Keto diet for a while about a year ago. I actually stayed on it for about 5 or 6 months and lost about 30 lbs. Gained it all back when I gave up the diet. Just couldn't stay away from bread and pasta. Maybe I'll give it another try. I don't remember feeling any sharper on the diet, however, I wasn't really paying much attention to that aspect. I was more interested at the time in losing weight. Thanks for the tip.