Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: What is LIFE ?

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:48 pm
Age wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:45 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:31 pm

No place at all.
Which does NOT even exist, right?

If yes, then what is being talked ABOUT is, literally, just NONSENSE, and NONSENSICAL, right?
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:31 pm Before we were born we didn't exist and that is "where" I believe we go after death, oblivion.
Here we can SEE the 'ego' at 'its' so-called BEST, or WORST. Depending on how wants to LOOK AT and SEE 'things' here.

This is just ANOTHER human created 'ego', which just LOOKS AT and SEE 'things' in regards to "itself' ONLY.

Also, after the 'death' of 'what', EXACTLY?
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:31 pm And yes, I know the word "where" is a loaded term. So don't dwell on the use of the word "where".
I am NOT so-called 'dwelling' ON ANY thing here.

I just ask these type of questions to PROVE that the 'posters' REALLY did NOT have A CLUE as to what they talked ABOUT, back in the days when these were being written.
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:31 pm Just dwell on use of the word "oblivion."
WHY would I do such a STUPID or ABSURD thing as 'this' here?
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:31 pm And if you need further explanation of that, then I can't help you.
ONCE MORE, IRREFUTABLE PROOF that these 'posters' here REALLY did have absolutely NO CLUE NOR IDEA AT ALL in regards to what they would talk ABOUT and come across as KNOWING their CHOSEN subject.
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:31 pm You'll need to figure some things out regarding what I say on your own based on the limitations of human language and our limited ability to conceptualize things.
LOL I have ALREADY WORKED OUT ALL-OF-THIS.

And, coming here and CLAIMING that 'you' KNOW some 'things', but then TELLING the "other", ' to figure some things out for "themselves" ', BECAUSE 'you' do NOT KNOW what 'you' are talking ABOUT, BECAUSE 'you' can NOT back up and support YOUR CLAIMS, or BECAUSE 'you' are just INCAPABLE of EXPLAINING seems like a Truly IMMATURE thing to do.
Ok. I was responding to your rather unintelligent post out of generosity. I see that was a mistake. Have a good day.
ONCE AGAIN, 'they' resort to attempts at ridicule and humiliation after the faults or flaws in what they wrote are pointed out and can NOT be countered.

I will suggest this once more, be able to back up and support your claims BEFORE you make those claims public, that way you can NOT faulter like you obviously have here.
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

Several of you have asked how I managed to get to this very old age of 95.
I am the middle one of 5 children and, may be the foundation to my good health was laid in 1938 when, at my age 11, our father purchased a single rowing Scull. He did not row but we lived along one of those canals in the Industrial area of Amsterdam North. Sometimes we played in the water. We could not swim but used a piece of wood to keep our head above water. A scull is better and safer. One of the neighbour’s kids was found drowned, but not while playing with us. May be that made father get that Scull. It was an unusual craft, had a rudder and a fixed seat wide enough for a passenger, and ropes to the rudder for steering. It had also a holder for a short mast and a small sail, for sailing in light winds. I rowed it a lot. By 1947 I had rowed through all the canals of Amsterdam. That rowing may well have laid a good foundation for my health. I am of average height and over more recent decades I have maintained my weight at 68 Kg by weighing myself regularly and by adjusting my daily food-intake accordingly.
Relevant also may be that I spent the whole of 1948 in the Dutch Army for Compulsory Military Training to be shipped to the then Dutch Colony of Indonesia which had declared to want its Independence. That created much street fighting in Indonesia. During the most recent ages many Dutch people had gone to live and work there. The Dutch Government decided to send some of its Soldiers to assist keeping order. However, Indonesia being many times larger than Holland, it required a very large number of troops, which had to be recruited, were trained, given an Tropical Anti Viral injection and then shipped to the other side of the globe for PEACE keeping there. I did successively 6 months of brutal Infantry training, followed by 3 months training to become a Sergeant, and was then ordered to go to the Officers training Camp for another 3 months of training and brainwashing about leading troops. At the end of those 12 months only my name only was called out to stand aside. I was then instructed to present myself at the Camp Commander’s Office. He told me that the Ministry of War had decided that I would serve the Nation even better by becoming a Civil Engineer. The Commander handed me a written Honourable Discharge and he said that the Ministry of War would call me if my service would be required in the future. I am pleased to have missed out on Indonesia because I heard much later that my best-friend at High-schoool had lost his life there in some event.
My longevity may well be due to the very intense Infantry training in 1948.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Ferdi wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:24 am Several of you have asked how I managed to get to this very old age of 95.
That sounds like an excellent opportunity for you to tell your life story, Ferdi.
I am the middle one of 5 children and, may be the foundation to my good health was laid in 1938 when, at my age 11, our father purchased a single rowing Scull. He did not row but we lived along one of those canals in the Industrial area of Amsterdam North. Sometimes we played in the water. We could not swim but used a piece of wood to keep our head above water. A scull is better and safer. One of the neighbour’s kids was found drowned, but not while playing with us. May be that made father get that Scull. It was an unusual craft, had a rudder and a fixed seat wide enough for a passenger, and ropes to the rudder for steering. It had also a holder for a short mast and a small sail, for sailing in light winds. I rowed it a lot. By 1947 I had rowed through all the canals of Amsterdam. That rowing may well have laid a good foundation for my health. I am of average height and over more recent decades I have maintained my weight at 68 Kg by weighing myself regularly and by adjusting my daily food-intake accordingly.
Relevant also may be that I spent the whole of 1948 in the Dutch Army for Compulsory Military Training to be shipped to the then Dutch Colony of Indonesia which had declared to want its Independence. That created much street fighting in Indonesia. During the most recent ages many Dutch people had gone to live and work there. The Dutch Government decided to send some of its Soldiers to assist keeping order. However, Indonesia being many times larger than Holland, it required a very large number of troops, which had to be recruited, were trained, given an Tropical Anti Viral injection and then shipped to the other side of the globe for PEACE keeping there. I did successively 6 months of brutal Infantry training, followed by 3 months training to become a Sergeant, and was then ordered to go to the Officers training Camp for another 3 months of training and brainwashing about leading troops. At the end of those 12 months only my name only was called out to stand aside. I was then instructed to present myself at the Camp Commander’s Office. He told me that the Ministry of War had decided that I would serve the Nation even better by becoming a Civil Engineer. The Commander handed me a written Honourable Discharge and he said that the Ministry of War would call me if my service would be required in the future. I am pleased to have missed out on Indonesia because I heard much later that my best-friend at High-schoool had lost his life there in some event.
8)
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Ferdi wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:24 am Several of you have asked how I managed to get to this very old age of 95.
Longevity is something I doubt I will have. Already at the age of 55 my brain is deteriorating, possibly with early onset Alzheimer's or dementia. I kind of wonder if I'll make it past my 60s. But that's just as well. Mental illness, sleep apnea, and other conditions have destroyed any love I might have had for life. If anyone needs to perish young, then I suppose it best be me.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:13 am
Longevity is something I doubt I will have. Already at the age of 55 my brain is deteriorating, possibly with early onset Alzheimer's or dementia. I kind of wonder if I'll make it past my 60s. But that's just as well. Mental illness, sleep apnea, and other conditions have destroyed any love I might have had for life. If anyone needs to perish young, then I suppose it best be me.
But to some of us 'you' are ALREADY well past old age "gary childress".
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:00 pm
And to others of us, at 55 he is but a mere lad. :(

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:23 pm
Age wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:00 pm
And to others of us, at 55 he is but a mere lad. :(
EXACTLY.

As I have been continually INFORMING 'you', adult human beings, ABSOLUTELY EVERY 'thing' is RELATIVE to 'the observer'.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:27 pm As I have been continually INFORMING 'you', adult human beings, ABSOLUTELY EVERY 'thing' is RELATIVE to 'the observer'.
I think that most of us adult human beings were already aware of that, Age. 8)

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:32 pm
Age wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:27 pm As I have been continually INFORMING 'you', adult human beings, ABSOLUTELY EVERY 'thing' is RELATIVE to 'the observer'.
I think that most of us adult human beings were already aware of that, Age. 8)
Yes, but the way 'you' speak to each other this is NOT very obvious. As exampled above.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:03 pm
Yes, but the way 'you' speak to each other this is NOT very obvious. As exampled above.
Well, I suppose some are more aware than others, and that also includes being aware that people don't always mean what an entirely literal interpretation of their words would suggest.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:13 pm
Well, I suppose some are more aware than others, and that also includes being aware that people don't always mean what an entirely literal interpretation of their words would suggest.
Which EXPLAINS WHY SO MUCH CONFUSION and MISUNDERSTANDING EXISTED in the 'world', in the days when this was being written.

Also, there is NO wonder WHY human beings TOOK SO LONG to COME-TO-SEE thee ACTUAL and IRREFUTABLE Truth of 'things' when, not even within a philosophical discussion, within a philosophy forum, in regards to a topic titled, 'What is LIFE?', did these people think it was appropriate to JUST say what they, actually, mean, and, to JUST means what they, actually, say.

These people literally actually thought that it was appropriate to give MISLEADING statements, claims, accusations, judgments, opinions, views, et cetera, and in of all places here in a philosophy forum.

Post by Age »

By the way, are these ones also aware that the ones who like to critique the bible and/or to criticize those who believe (in), or rely on, the bible also like to continually talk about the 'literal interpretation of the words within the bible'?

These people back then would, literally, PICK and CHOOSE WHEN and IF to take a literal interpretation or not, whenever they just FELT like it.

There was very rarely any CONSISTENCY, which AGAIN led to the utter CONFUSION and MISUNDERSTANDINGS that EXISTED, back in those days.

Post by Age »

Are you ABLE TO INFORM us of WHEN, EXACTLY, do we KNOW, for sure, WHEN one IS LITERALLY MEANING what they SAY from WHEN they are NOT LITERALLY MEANING what they are SAYING?

If you could, then this would help us, TREMENDOUSLY.

For SURELY, the most SIMPLEST of question, 'What is LIFE?', should NOT take thousands upon thousands of years to come to be ANSWERED, or DISCOVERED, right?

And SURELY NOT by a species who call "themselves" an intelligent species, and even the MOST intelligent species.

And what could make this all the MORE BEWILDERING the ANSWER, definition AND meaning, of 'life' is WRITTEN, plain AND simple, for ALL to SEE IN DICTIONARIES.

Literally, the MEANING of absolutely EVERY 'thing' is IN A DICTIONARY.

In ONE dictionary, THE MEANING OF 'Life' IS, living; being alive.

Therefore, 'What is LIFE?' IS living and being alive.

And, by the way, and CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF in the days when this is being written, ABSOLUTELY EVERY 'thing' IS ALIVE. 'you', adult human beings, WERE LOOKING FOR 'life' OUT THERE, without EVER REALIZING it is ALL ACTUALLY LIVING, CONSTANTLY CHANGING in shape and form.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

The real question is how does a collection of chemical processes and molecular structures give rise to ideas, mind, and the yearning after meaning.
Essentially we are just complicated amoeba, worked up into specialised collection of interdependent cells, and as we all know in our hearts, when the body breaks down we fade away into the nothingness from which we came.
There is no such thing as life except for that simple fact of the organisation of specialised matter. Where we might find it easy to describe a jellyfish in such a way- or a lichen, moss, or algae; as the complexity of animals increase we find it more difficult.
Only a fool would try to pretend that in this massive hierarchy of complexity there is some distinct point at which matter has a special quality we call "life". So I really do not think, however much we want to believe, that there is a force of nature which may be called "life". A thing which is either present or not present.
When a person expires in that long sleep, most of the body remains "living". Each of our cells stay potentially active, needing only an injection of fuel or oxygen to be cultured in a dish. Sleep is the little death that we succumb to each night; or on the surgeons table with anesthetic. After we are dead there would be nothing to stop the DNA code from being cloned to make another "you", with the same potentialities of your childhood. Nothing more but that doce needs be added. THere is no life, only activity.

But is there something special about us as individuals which other creatures such as Whales, dogs, or mice do not have. I think not. It is more likely that a Whales has far more awareness, consciousness, beingness than any human. Just compare the differences.
As we live, we learn to live with loss. Loss of parents loss of loved pets.
But the constancy of our own biography seems to make it hard to accept the oblivion of ourselves.

Yet that is the truth. We come from nothing, we go back to nothing. What have we lost; nothing.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »