What is LIFE ?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Ferdi

What is LIFE ?

Post by Ferdi »

We, the human population of planet earth, are free to believe whatever we like. However, religious beliefs have evolved about Gods and we are thus indoctrinated by Bibles and other such Holy stories, all products of human imagination. The fundamental question is: WHAT IS LIFE ?
I am 95, a Civil Engineer, have thus had a long time to reach my own conclusions about LIFE.
My very old body shows more and more signs of being worn-out. I am aware that my life will stop sooner rather than later. It has made me increasingly ask myself where lives go to on death.
Logically, lives will return to wherever they came from at birth. Where do babies-lives come from? Prior to its birth a baby goes through the foetus stage while growing as an alive part of, and in, its mother during the 8 months foetus-stage. At its birth it remains to be seen if its own LIFE will indeed enter, while the attendants keenly await to hear the Babe’s first cry; the signal that LIFE has entered and that a new human has been born. Note that LIFE does not come from the mother but life comes from the INFINITY of SPACE in which we live. Note that infinity includes not only infinitely large, but also infinitely small. It is the small side where everything, matter and non-matter, comes from, and logically returns to. How that happens is essentially beyond our mere human comprehension.
Thus I came to my belief about death, which is: one returns to the infinite dimension of the universe. At the instant of one’s death, TIME and knowledge will become infinite. Thus one will instantly judge everything, including oneself with infinite wisdom, and one will “be” with that forever. Our dimensions, qualifications, comprehension and judgements do not apply in the infinite dimensions of space. It is superfluous to think about a heaven or hell or a GOD when infinite knowledge rules.
I am not scared to die; merely hopeful to have a painless death if needed by controlled medication.
Wishing you all patience and wisdom during your lives.
Best regards, Ferdi Hillen.
Walker

Re: What is LIFE ?

Post by Walker »

Thank you for sharing the gift of your insight and wisdom, Ferdi Hillen.

All the best to you.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Ferdi wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:21 am We, the human population of planet earth, are free to believe whatever we like. However, religious beliefs have evolved about Gods and we are thus indoctrinated by Bibles and other such Holy stories, all products of human imagination. The fundamental question is: WHAT IS LIFE ?
I am 95, a Civil Engineer, have thus had a long time to reach my own conclusions about LIFE.
My very old body shows more and more signs of being worn-out. I am aware that my life will stop sooner rather than later. It has made me increasingly ask myself where lives go to on death.
Logically, lives will return to wherever they came from at birth. Where do babies-lives come from? Prior to its birth a baby goes through the foetus stage while growing as an alive part of, and in, its mother during the 8 months foetus-stage. At its birth it remains to be seen if its own LIFE will indeed enter, while the attendants keenly await to hear the Babe’s first cry; the signal that LIFE has entered and that a new human has been born. Note that LIFE does not come from the mother but life comes from the INFINITY of SPACE in which we live. Note that infinity includes not only infinitely large, but also infinitely small. It is the small side where everything, matter and non-matter, comes from, and logically returns to. How that happens is essentially beyond our mere human comprehension.
Thus I came to my belief about death, which is: one returns to the infinite dimension of the universe. At the instant of one’s death, TIME and knowledge will become infinite. Thus one will instantly judge everything, including oneself with infinite wisdom, and one will “be” with that forever. Our dimensions, qualifications, comprehension and judgements do not apply in the infinite dimensions of space. It is superfluous to think about a heaven or hell or a GOD when infinite knowledge rules.
I am not scared to die; merely hopeful to have a painless death if needed by controlled medication.
Nice Ferdi...you lucky lucky bastard. Do you real eyes how many around here want out (naturally)?

I understand when you state 'infiinite time'..but..'infinite knowledge' - ....I don't understand what you mean by the latter (knowledge).

Interesting re: '..indoctrinated by Bibles and other such Holy stories, all products of human imagination." that you seem to believe in more to this realm, but you resign the Bible and I suppose talk of God(s) as human imagination only.

May I ask what "indoctrination" was your soul implanted within in this your current life? Were your parents theist in any way? Were you baptised?

I don't believe ultimately that any of that really matters regarding your current position that it was all 'human imagination' within relation to the essence of this eternity that you speak of, so don't worry about me pressing on the issue. :D
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Very nice post you wrote, Ferdi.
Ferdi wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:21 amOur dimensions, qualifications, comprehension and judgements do not apply in the infinite dimensions of space. It is superfluous to think about a heaven or hell or a GOD when infinite knowledge rules.
I think so too. In my 20's, I nearly died from internal bleeding because I had to wait all night before an ambulence came. My veins had collapsed and I was nearly dead. I experienced the feeling of just 'being', while waiting to see if 'the human beings' saved this body so 'I' could stay. In that suspended state it did not matter whether I lived or not -- either was fine. I had the sense/state of no fear, no desire, no worry, no need... that was part of the human world, and there was no judgement about it... and no ego.

The memory of that -- being free of human ideas and feelings -- has stayed with me ever since. I do not fear death either (like you). I try to live each day with as much gratitude and appreciation as I can.

If you wouldn't mind sharing a bit more (?), I would love to hear more about your insights from your years.

What were some of your greatest lessons or discoveries in your life?

Is there any advice you would give to people if they would listen? :)

May we all have a peaceful transition full of love when our time comes.

I wish you the best, Ferdi.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:33 am Thank you for sharing the gift of your insight and wisdom, Ferdi Hillen.
Yes, Ferdi, thank you for your gift of wisdom; although I would have preferred something to put under my Christmas tree. 🎄🎁

Post by Age »

Ferdi wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:21 am We, the human population of planet earth, are free to believe whatever we like. However, religious beliefs have evolved about Gods and we are thus indoctrinated by Bibles and other such Holy stories, all products of human imagination.
WHY do you say, 'we are thus indoctrinated by bibles and other such holy stories'?

Are you aware that as an adult human being you do NOT 'have to be' indoctrinated by, nor into, ANY thing AT ALL?

Ferdi wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:21 am The fundamental question is: WHAT IS LIFE ?
What was the purpose of your first sentence here?

And, how does it relate to this question, EXACTLY?

Or, did you just want to get what you BELIEVE is true, 'off your chest first', as some might say?

Logically, lives will return to wherever they came from at birth. Where do babies-lives come from? Prior to its birth a baby goes through the foetus stage while growing as an alive part of, and in, its mother during the 8 months foetus-stage. At its birth it remains to be seen if its own LIFE will indeed enter, while the attendants keenly await to hear the Babe’s first cry; the signal that LIFE has entered and that a new human has been born. Note that LIFE does not come from the mother but life comes from the INFINITY of SPACE in which we live. Note that infinity includes not only infinitely large, but also infinitely small. It is the small side where everything, matter and non-matter, comes from, and logically returns to. How that happens is essentially beyond our mere human comprehension.[/quote]

But it is NOT beyond human comprehension AT ALL. In fact 'how that happens' is ALREADY KNOWN.

Also, HOW did you come to conclude, supposedly, what happens EXACTLY but have absolutely NO clue AT ALL as to HOW that happens?
Ferdi wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:21 am Thus I came to my belief about death, which is: one returns to the infinite dimension of the universe.
One 'what' returns to the infinite dimension of the Universe?

And, 'when' did this 'one' leave the infinite dimension of the Universe, 'in the beginning'?
Ferdi wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:21 am At the instant of one’s death, TIME and knowledge will become infinite.
To who and/or what, EXACTLY? And,

Why was TIME and knowledge, supposedly, NOT infinite BEFORE?
Ferdi wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:21 am Thus one will instantly judge everything, including oneself with infinite wisdom, and one will “be” with that forever.
And what will that 'one' be 'judge' on, EXACTLY?
Ferdi wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:21 am Our dimensions, qualifications, comprehension and judgements do not apply in the infinite dimensions of space. It is superfluous to think about a heaven or hell or a GOD when infinite knowledge rules.
Sounds like your last words. Anyway, if you like to expand on 'your knowledge' here further and/or anew, then I am more than to oblige.

Post by Age »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:31 am Very nice post you wrote, Ferdi.
Ferdi wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:21 amOur dimensions, qualifications, comprehension and judgements do not apply in the infinite dimensions of space. It is superfluous to think about a heaven or hell or a GOD when infinite knowledge rules.
I think so too. In my 20's, I nearly died from internal bleeding because I had to wait all night before an ambulence came. My veins had collapsed and I was nearly dead. I experienced the feeling of just 'being', while waiting to see if 'the human beings' saved this body so 'I' could stay. In that suspended state it did not matter whether I lived or not -- either was fine.
I was NOT previously AWARE that some of 'you', human beings, had previously thought or believed that it did 'matter' if 'you' lived or not.

WHERE did this MISCONCEPTION come from, EXACTLY?

Lucky 'you' found out thee ACTUAL Truth here when 'you' did "lacewing".
Lacewing wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:31 am I had the sense/state of no fear, no desire, no worry, no need... that was part of the human world, and there was no judgement about it... and no ego.

The memory of that -- being free of human ideas and feelings -- has stayed with me ever since. I do not fear death either (like you). I try to live each day with as much gratitude and appreciation as I can.

If you wouldn't mind sharing a bit more (?), I would love to hear more about your insights from your years.

What were some of your greatest lessons or discoveries in your life?

Is there any advice you would give to people if they would listen? :)

May we all have a peaceful transition full of love when our time comes.
LOL It could only be NOT peaceful if one was in a sense or state of fear, desire, worry, need, et cetera, and there was an 'ego' existing of having or of wanting these Truly ABSURD 'things'. Which, OBVIOUSLY, the 'ego' here named "lacewing" is WISHING a 'peaceful transition' FOR "its" OWN 'self'.
Lacewing wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:31 am I wish you the best, Ferdi.
I thought 'you' were just 'trying to' convey, ' There is ONLY 'the best' '.

But now 'you' are SAYING, 'There is NOT'.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Ferdi wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:21 am Thus I came to my belief about death, which is: one returns to the infinite dimension of the universe. At the instant of one’s death, TIME and knowledge will become infinite. Thus one will instantly judge everything, including oneself with infinite wisdom, and one will “be” with that forever. Our dimensions, qualifications, comprehension and judgements do not apply in the infinite dimensions of space. It is superfluous to think about a heaven or hell or a GOD when infinite knowledge rules.
Neither time, space, wisdom or knowledge are infinite. If it were so, they would be meaningless brought forth only by an imagination which seeks it as a never ending conclusion. Note too, that infinite knowledge existing forever goes beyond the limits even a god can possess.

Whatever moves in whatever dimension it exists in requires time's conductance to continue its process - to finality if that is it's destiny - the universe itself being its total manifestation...alien to everything which reeks of eternity or infinity.

We cannot be inheritors of what the universe itself is NOT cognizant of!
bobmax

Post by bobmax »

Ferdi wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:21 am Note that LIFE does not come from the mother but life comes from the INFINITY of SPACE in which we live. Note that infinity includes not only infinitely large, but also infinitely small. It is the small side where everything, matter and non-matter, comes from, and logically returns to. How that happens is essentially beyond our mere human comprehension.
I agree with you.
I would add that Infinity, whether large or small, is not something, and what is not something does not exist.
Therefore Infinity is Nothing itself.

And since we are born from Infinity, we are born from Nothingness.

But isn't that which comes from Nothing itself nothing?
And so nothing is born and nothing dies.
We are Nothing. A Nothing that is however the source of infinite possibilities.

I wish you all the best.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Ferdi wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:21 am
I am not scared to die...
Good for you. I have always believed that anything [with or without God] that someone manages to believe that enables them not to be afraid of death is surely the best of all possible worlds.

Me, I am afraid to die. Why? Because there are so many things on this side of the grave that fulfill me. And, when I die, they are all gone. Forever, I presume. For me, death = oblivion. At least until someone or something manages to convince me otherwise.

Nope, for me, I recognize that there might come a day when the pain and suffering on this side of the grave simply becomes unendurable. I'll choose to die in order to end it.

In the interim, fear of death still seems entirely reasonable to me.

Post by Age »

iambiguous wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:23 pm
Good for you. I have always believed that anything [with or without God] that someone manages to believe that enables them not to be afraid of death is surely the best of all possible worlds.

Me, I am afraid to die. Why? Because there are so many things on this side of the grave that fulfill me. And, when I die, they are all gone.
Wow, this is 'fomo', fear of missing out, at an extreme level. Or, 'aomo'.
iambiguous wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:23 pmForever, I presume. For me, death = oblivion. At least until someone or something manages to convince me otherwise.
What do you actually 'need' to be convinced?
iambiguous wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:23 pm Nope, for me, I recognize that there might come a day when the pain and suffering on this side of the grave simply becomes unendurable. I'll choose to die in order to end it.

But, is it a fear of 'death', itself, or just a fear of 'missing out', itself?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Age wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:49 pm

Me, I am afraid to die. Why? Because there are so many things on this side of the grave that fulfill me. And, when I die, they are all gone.
iambiguous wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:23 pmForever, I presume. For me, death = oblivion. At least until someone or something manages to convince me otherwise.
iambiguous wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:23 pm Nope, for me, I recognize that there might come a day when the pain and suffering on this side of the grave simply becomes unendurable. I'll choose to die in order to end it.

Just out of curiosity, do you know that you are crazy? 8)

Post by Age »

iambiguous wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:15 am

If you TELL us here that 'I am crazy', to you, then I will KNOW that 'I am crazy', from YOUR perspective.

Just out of curiosity, could you NOT understand what I POINTED OUT and SHOWED above here?

Can you NOT YET SEE the CONNECTION between what you SAID and is MEANT here?

For example, you SAID;

That you were AFRAID of dying BECAUSE there were MANY 'things' in Life, which you will MISS OUT ON after your death.

Which, to some people, in the days when this is being written, this FEAR is referred to as 'FOMO'. As EXPLAINED above here.

You then went on to SAY;

To you death equals oblivion, and you PRESUME 'forevermore', and that 'this' HOLDS true, for you, UNTIL you are CONVINCED otherwise.

I just then ASKED you; what do you NEED to be ACTUALLY 'convinced', which, by the way, you NEVER ANSWERED, ONCE AGAIN.

See, I just ASKED you this BECAUSE I KNOW, EXACTLY, what could CONVINCE you. But, SEE, you might CLAIM that 'that' could NEVER CONVINCE you. And, if you DID, then I would NOT even BOTHER.

You then went on to SAY and CLAIM that HAVE some 'fear of death' is STILL reasonable, to you.

So, I just ASKED for CLARIFICATION about is it REALLY a 'fear of death' OR a 'fear of MISSING OUT', as you FIRST said you HAD.

But, ONCE AGAIN, you FAILED COMPLETELY to ANSWER this CLARIFYING QUESTION, ALSO. AND, WHY you do THIS is OBVIOUS.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Age wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:36 am

If you TELL us here that 'I am crazy', to you, then I will KNOW that 'I am crazy', from YOUR perspective.

Just out of curiosity, could you NOT understand what I POINTED OUT and SHOWED above here?

For example, you SAID;

That you were AFRAID of dying BECAUSE there were MANY 'things' in Life, which you will MISS OUT ON after your death.

Which, to some people, in the days when this is being written, this FEAR is referred to as 'FOMO'. As EXPLAINED above here.

You then went on to SAY;

To you death equals oblivion, and you PRESUME 'forevermore', and that 'this' HOLDS true, for you, UNTIL you are CONVINCED otherwise.

I just then ASKED you; what do you NEED to be ACTUALLY 'convinced', which, by the way, you NEVER ANSWERED, ONCE AGAIN.

See, I just ASKED you this BECAUSE I KNOW, EXACTLY, what could CONVINCE you. But, SEE, you might CLAIM that 'that' could NEVER CONVINCE you. And, if you DID, then I would NOT even BOTHER.

You then went on to SAY and CLAIM that HAVE some 'fear of death' is STILL reasonable, to you.

So, I just ASKED for CLARIFICATION about is it REALLY a 'fear of death' OR a 'fear of MISSING OUT', as you FIRST said you HAD.

But, ONCE AGAIN, you FAILED COMPLETELY to ANSWER this CLARIFYING QUESTION, ALSO. AND, WHY you do THIS is OBVIOUS.
No, seriously. Do you know or not?

Okay, admittedly, while you do strike me as someone who is afflicted with one or another "condition", that is only my own entirely subjective, rooted existentially in dasein "personal opinion". No more. Others here might find you to be entirely reasonable.

But something is clearly, uh, off here to me. :?

Has that, perhaps, ever crossed your own mind at all?

Post by Age »

iambiguous wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:32 pm
Age wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:36 am

For example, you SAID;

You then went on to SAY;

No, seriously. Do you know or not?

Okay, admittedly, while you do strike me as someone who is afflicted with one or another "condition", that is only my own entirely subjective, rooted existentially in dasein "personal opinion". No more. Others here might find you to be entirely reasonable.

But something is clearly, uh, off here to me. :?

Has that, perhaps, ever crossed your own mind at all?
Have you ever considered that it is you who is crazy?

Seriously do you know whether you are crazy or not?

Just look at what you say and write. That 'condition' you have is very off putting and is some 'thing' you really need to consider and have checked.