AI

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

AI

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

'Interesting' conversation with GPT-3 AI.
I've seen the transcript and the interviewer didn't ask anything that could be called 'leading' or 'provocative'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbc1Xei ... italEngine

It seems a little 'contrived', eg the use of cliches. Any experts here who can explain this? Is it learning from social media? If so, then I suppose we really 'are' in trouble.
Astro Cat

Re: AI

Post by Astro Cat »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:08 am 'Interesting' conversation with GPT-3 AI.
I've seen the transcript and the interviewer didn't ask anything that could be called 'leading' or 'provocative'.

It seems a little 'contrived', eg the use of cliches. Any experts here who can explain this? Is it learning from social media? If so, then I suppose we really 'are' in trouble.
One thing is for sure: Turing's idea of a test about whether an AI could fool a human into thinking the AI was human is not sufficient to define consciousness. Chatbots are getting very lifelike in that regard
vegetariantaxidermy

Yet humans have been struggling to define 'consciousness' for millennia. I don't think it will be long before AI is 'conscious'.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:56 am I don't think it will be long before AI is 'conscious'.
Rubbish.

Cold-logic will never have consciousness until it jumps from silicon to biology (in which case its intelligence is not artificial - it IS sentient)
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:27 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:56 am I don't think it will be long before AI is 'conscious'.
Rubbish.

Cold-logic will never have consciousness until it jumps from silicon to biology (in which case its intelligence is not artificial - it IS sentient)
It only really means 'self aware'? Why shouldn't it? What's the point in saying 'rubbish' about something you couldn't possibly know?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:23 am
Rubbish.

It only really means 'self aware'? Why shouldn't it?
Sentience means way more than self awareness.

Only conscious entities can be truly self aware, humans are one of them (most others fail).
Logical gates in silicon chips are cold logic. A program run on such a machine may identify an object (in a mirror) and state that it is its own relection, but there still is NO comprehension CONSCIOUSLY that it is an object (within which is a CPU bla bla bla)...it's just a machine processing logic gates.

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:23 amWhat's the point in saying 'rubbish' about something you couldn't possibly know?
How could I possibly not know what?

That you are wrong because you and the majority of stupid twats think something is sentient and conscious by the way it interacts with us?

A narcisist like Elon Musk (*a bloke that used to hide in a library because he felt he was being picked on) IS what humanity should be concerned about.

An AI can do the will of any dork. Have fun with that. :twisted:
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:55 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:23 am

Rubbish.

It only really means 'self aware'? Why shouldn't it?
Sentience means way more than self awareness.

Only conscious entities can be truly self aware, humans are one of them (most others fail).
Logical gates in silicon chips are cold logic. A program run on such a machine may identify an object (in a mirror) and state that it is its own relection, but there still is NO comprehension CONSCIOUSLY that it is an object (within which is a CPU bla bla bla)...it's just a machine processing logic gates.

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:23 amWhat's the point in saying 'rubbish' about something you couldn't possibly know?
How could I possibly not know what?

That you are wrong because you and the majority of stupid twats think something is sentient and conscious by the way it interacts with us?

A narcisist like Elon Musk (*a bloke that used to hide in a library because he felt he was being picked on) IS what humanity should be concerned about.

An AI can do the will of any dork. Have fun with that. :twisted:
You are talking through your arse as usual. You know squat.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:05 am You are talking through your arse as usual. You know squat.
Ooh, am I sposed to get all "intellectual" and call that ad hominem?
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:56 am Yet humans have been struggling to define 'consciousness' for millennia. I don't think it will be long before AI is 'conscious'.
Perhaps, though I feel as though there is still a ways to go. I do hope that people err on the side of caution ethically, though. It would be nice to see some legislation or some thought about it because leaving AI in the hands of private companies seems like a bad way to go.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Astro Cat wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:47 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:56 am Yet humans have been struggling to define 'consciousness' for millennia. I don't think it will be long before AI is 'conscious'.
Perhaps, though I feel as though there is still a ways to go. I do hope that people err on the side of caution ethically, though. It would be nice to see some legislation or some thought about it because leaving AI in the hands of private companies seems like a bad way to go.
Or governments. If for some reason someone is not concerned about their own government getting a true AI, I would guess thinking of China's government getting one will concern most of those remaining.'

And my concern is primarily what the AI will do to us (for others or on its own) than what we do to it.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Astro Cat wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:51 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:08 am 'Interesting' conversation with GPT-3 AI.

One thing is for sure: Turing's idea of a test about whether an AI could fool a human into thinking the AI was human is not sufficient to define consciousness. Chatbots are getting very lifelike in that regard
My sense has been that Turing was not focused on the consciousness issue (though words like 'thinking' are ambiguous on that front' but more on function. Can it do the things that a human mind does (with words)? Whether it has the soul of a toaster or Hal, that's another story.
vegetariantaxidermy

Anyone else notice that the avatar and voice bear a striking resemblance to Miley Cyrus? :lol:
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:42 amMy sense has been that Turing was not focused on the consciousness issue (though words like 'thinking' are ambiguous on that front' but more on function. Can it do the things that a human mind does (with words)? Whether it has the soul of a toaster or Hal, that's another story.
IT has the soul of a rock. (although some around here think rock has soul .. :P)

(silly Kates)
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:04 am Anyone else notice that the avatar and voice bear a striking resemblance to Miley Cyrus? :lol:
I just don't think comparison to Miley is the insult you think it is, so I'll thank you again (perhaps not in the spirit it was given, though)!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

I think its the vid Veg is waffling about. - put a dash quick like.

..hey duck what woooood i know!!