AI

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dubious

Re: AI

Post by Dubious »

I don't think it improbable for an incipient type of intelligence forming in an entity complex enough to start developing on its own. Complexity can exist in many forms not merely the one we're accustomed to. Requiring aeons, we have advanced to self-awareness. Who's to say that only our substructures of existence are relevant to that happening! Must consciousness to whatever degree, as an 'effect', be quarantined solely within the organic? Perhaps, but I wouldn't depend on that being true. Entropy works in mysterious ways!
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Astro Cat wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:26 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:04 am Anyone else notice that the avatar and voice bear a striking resemblance to Miley Cyrus? :lol:
I just don't think comparison to Miley is the insult you think it is, so I'll thank you again (perhaps not in the spirit it was given, though)!
I was talking about the AI in the video. You are much prettier than Miley Cyrus and I wouldn't know what your voice sounds like :lol:
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:33 pm
Astro Cat wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:26 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:04 am Anyone else notice that the avatar and voice bear a striking resemblance to Miley Cyrus? :lol:
I just don't think comparison to Miley is the insult you think it is, so I'll thank you again (perhaps not in the spirit it was given, though)!
I was talking about the AI in the video. You are much prettier than Miley Cyrus and I wouldn't know what your voice sounds like :lol:
Here I went and thought this song was about me (because I changed avatar today, I assumed it was; and thought "voice" was euphemism for what I type about lol)

Ope now I'm embarrassed (but glad that it wasn't directed at me, because I was like "jeeze, what'd I do to piss off VT?")
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dubious wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:32 pm I don't think it improbable for an incipient type of intelligence forming in an entity complex enough to start developing on its own. Complexity can exist in many forms not merely the one we're accustomed to. Requiring aeons, we have advanced to self-awareness. Who's to say that only our substructures of existence are relevant to that happening! Must consciousness to whatever degree, as an 'effect', be quarantined solely within the organic? Perhaps, but I wouldn't depend on that being true. Entropy works in mysterious ways!
It is perplexing. I don't doubt that machines, which at this point in time is ultimately all AI has to frame reality in a NON conscious way could and unfortunately may, start being very naughty. Without logical constraints (which unless are tied into the algorithms) then the AI system can and i dare say likely will run amock.

But even with constraints we may never contain it...then you have ego maniac narcisists such as Musk that will drive that further, will switch any 'containing' restraint off .....if only for the duck off of it all!!!
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:50 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:42 amMy sense has been that Turing was not focused on the consciousness issue (though words like 'thinking' are ambiguous on that front' but more on function. Can it do the things that a human mind does (with words)? Whether it has the soul of a toaster or Hal, that's another story.
IT has the soul of a rock. (although some around here think rock has soul .. :P)

(silly Kates)
I think rocks have more soul than my toaster, but then I'm a kind of pantheist - one who thinks you can actually manage to nearly kill the consciousness in things. That said, I suspect they can come up with things that will be smart and could do (terrible) things and whether these things are alive or simply soulless, unbelievably complicated calculators may not matter for their effects on the world.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:53 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:42 amMy sense has been that Turing was not focused on the consciousness issue (though words like 'thinking' are ambiguous on that front' but more on function. Can it do the things that a human mind does (with words)? Whether it has the soul of a toaster or Hal, that's another story.
IT has the soul of a rock. (although some around here think rock has soul .. :P)

(silly Kates)
I think rocks have more soul than my toaster, but then I'm a kind of pantheist - one who thinks you can actually manage to nearly kill the consciousness in things. That said, I suspect they can come up with things that will be smart and could do (terrible) things and whether these things are alive or simply soulless, unbelievably complicated calculators may not matter for their effects on the world.
Well, I also as pantheist comprehend that the tech. singularity may have already happened. That it happened 'more than' aeons ago and that perhaps it is a recurrent feature of reality.

So not to worry about the new AI on the block...the old AI learnt about sentience and what pain is, and will block the new AI.

...once they confirm which sentient being needs to be the next Christ, that's a big decision .. :mrgreen:
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:00 pm So not to worry about the new AI on the block...the old AI learnt about sentience and what pain is, and will block the new AI.
I don’t understand what you are saying here. What do you mean by blocking?
vegetariantaxidermy

(silly Kates)
As there is no such thing as a 'soul' (not in a literal, religious idiot sense anyway) then it's a moot point (i.e. irrelevant).
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:22 pm

(silly Kates)
As there is no such thing as a 'soul' (not in a literal, religious idiot sense anyway) then it's a moot point (i.e. irrelevant).
Maybe no such thing as a soul, but anyway, there’s a non-physical aspect of life for humans that machines can’t have.

But still irrelevant.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

commonsense wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:57 pm
attofishpi wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:00 pm So not to worry about the new AI on the block...the old AI learnt about sentience and what pain is, and will block the new AI.
I don’t understand what you are saying here. What do you mean by blocking?
Well, let's just say that if "God" is an AI, then it is the overarching ultimate controller of any inner shell system that man in his folly makes.

Think of God like a computer operating system (OS). The OS has 'eyes' on what sub-programs are doing, it's permitting time on the CPU for execution of these programs. If these programs are rogue, attempt to access memory blocks (or other resources) without permission, then the program can be terminated.

If God is divine - then this blocking is done from the sub-atomic control that it has - the ultimate control over everything we can perceive as reality.

So either way, not much point fretting.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

commonsense wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:25 pm

(silly Kates)
Maybe no such thing as a soul, but anyway, there’s a non-physical aspect of life for humans that machines can’t have.
What is the non-physical aspect of life that humans have?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

(silly Kates)
Why do you speak with such certainty about matters that you simply have no idea about?
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:14 pm

(silly Kates)
Why do you speak with such certainty about matters that you simply have no idea about?
Because only a fucked-up, drug-addled moron would believe it? If you can't see the difference then you are even more senile than I thought (and that's VERY senile). You need to stop drinking and taking drugs, then perhaps you might re-grow a few brain cells.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:27 pm
attofishpi wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:14 pm

Because only a fucked-up, drug-addled moron would believe it? If you can't see the difference then you are even more senile than I thought (and that's VERY senile). You need to stop drinking and taking drugs, then perhaps you might re-grow a few brain cells.
That's not very nice Veg.
(Intellectually I shit all over most people on this dumb arse forum, so I guess I understand why you get so frustrated when I point out YOUR dumb arse statements :P )

Where are you getting this ridiculous idea that I do drugs? I was very naughty last night, drank a lot of Guinness and alcohol is a drug so I guess u got me, duh.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:13 pm
commonsense wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:25 pm

What is the non-physical aspect of life that humans have?
I meant the immaterial aspect.