Representing oneself through someone else

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Representing oneself through someone else

Post by Walker »

Poor Harbal. In trying to represent yourself through the intelligent observations of others by asserting a destructive intent, you reveal the real cause behind your declared, ostensible annoyance at dattaswami.

You too Lacewing. Take a knee and listen up.

In regards to me, the real cause of your actions is an attempt of Shiva to destroy Brahma, for I provide the grist for your mill, the blood of my postings for you to suck at.

As the data of dattaswami teaches us, look to the role and not the name. That's role, Shirley, not roll as in, "He got rolled by PN thugs."

If you dare to disturb Brahma again, make your wit worthy of us. That is a high bar you have yet to clear.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:51 am Poor Harbal.
:cry:
Walker

Post by Walker »

The good news is, Harbal, you're never too old to improve, although ossification can bring a high cost to improvement, and time must be factored into the alchemy. Why make gold if the cost is more than the cost of gold, such as the cost of losing comfort of the known?

Well, one rationale in favour of that is soon, too soon, all of us face the big change, so it behooves to grow accustomed to the terrority ... and begin thinking like a human beast.

The question is, can the unknown cause thought? Well, like dark matter, and even like dark energy, :shock: , for philosophers the unknown is the virtual cause of thought. (Why do folks always throw virtual into the mix? I dunno.)

Isn't that cool how it all relates, and I can show you that? It makes me feel good about me.

:lol:
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Walker wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:05 am Isn't that cool how it all relates, and I can show you that? It makes me feel good about me.
:lol:

(Actually, I stopped reading partway through.)
Last edited by Lacewing on Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Walker wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:34 am
Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:29 pm Can we think, speak, question, and interact for ourselves: what matters to us individually, what we've learned individually, what we think and do (based on what inspires us)... in our own words?
By the evidence you present, only when you gossip ... maliciously.
Strange that you frame that as gossip. When you describe what you see other people doing, you frame it as valuable insight.
bobmax

Post by bobmax »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:29 pm Must we prop ourselves up such that we can only repeat the inspirations or claims of others, and if so, then what are we?

We are fanatics.

This happens when we can no longer bear the uncertainty of life.
We want to escape from existential angst. And instead of delving into ourselves, which involves more suffering... let's take a shortcut.

So we grab some "truth" that is presented to us and pretend that it is absolute Truth!
Here is fanaticism.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

bobmax wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:05 pm
Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:29 pm Must we prop ourselves up such that we can only repeat the inspirations or claims of others, and if so, then what are we?
We are fanatics.

This happens when we can no longer bear the uncertainty of life.
We want to escape from existential angst. And instead of delving into ourselves, which involves more suffering... let's take a shortcut.

So we grab some "truth" that is presented to us and pretend that it is absolute Truth!
Here is fanaticism.
Interesting/good description!

When we are little kids, every day is a new adventure to be explored. Every moment is full of potential. We are much more adaptive at that stage, it seems. The older we get, the more we want to be in control and be 'right' -- and yes, we can become fanatics as a result of that. We might expect that we're supposed to know all the answers when we get older, rather than relaxing in the acceptance that we don't and it's not even necessary. We're actually stunted when we defend our rigidity.
bobmax

Post by bobmax »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:39 pm When we are little kids, every day is a new adventure to be explored. Every moment is full of potential. We are much more adaptive at that stage, it seems. The older we get, the more we want to be in control and be 'right' -- and yes, we can become fanatics as a result of that. We might expect that we're supposed to know all the answers when we get older, rather than relaxing in the acceptance that we don't and it's not even necessary. We're actually stunted when we defend our rigidity.
Yes, but I think the fact that as you get older you take stock of the right is a necessary process.

The young person opens up to the world and experiences life.
It is the prodigal son who leaves his father and ventures out into the world.

As you get older you make your way back home.

The return is difficult, because it implies suffering.
This is the crucial moment of all life!

Because it's the moment of truth. And Truth implies pain.

If you can't face the pain of the Truth, you force the game by lying, that's fanaticism.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:29 pm If the poster really wanted to present and discuss a topic with others, they would do so.
And if he wanted to expose us to extensive writings he could give a link and then a reason why he thinks the link is valuable. Or, yes, even better, present one of two ideas and discuss them.

If anyone here is interested in a batch of mediocre interpretations of Hinduism, we all know where libraries and bookstores are.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Walker wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:37 pm He is surrounding you in an ocean of goodness. Gyatso!
It's a pretty mediocre pond.
Surrender, it causes no harm....
I wouldn't have guessed you'd be someone who accepts surrender as a guiding metaphor for your spirituality. Is it one you use for the secular aspects of your life?
Be grateful for his effort; dance with the now rather than long for the not.
It seems, here, you are longing for the not in relation, in your case, with Lacewing.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:15 pm
Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:29 pm If the poster really wanted to present and discuss a topic with others, they would do so.
And if he wanted to expose us to extensive writings he could give a link and then a reason why he thinks the link is valuable. Or, yes, even better, present one of two ideas and discuss them.
Yes. It is this demonstration of continually typing it all in (at length) -- instead of simply pointing to it and discussing it in his own words -- which caught my attention and inspired the title for this thread. Hundreds of posts -- seemingly without much care for responses or discussion.

(Yet) Another person who excessively blankets the forum with their brand of ultimate truth is an action that speaks more to personal payoff than sharing/exploring wisdom. Excessive actions are telling.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:05 pm spews his insane crap into the ocean of goodness. :lol:
I think I can count the number of active posters that don't have noticeable tics or mental illness on one hand. This is not a dig at mental illness.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

There's a difference between being mentally ill and being licensed to ill, tho.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:23 pm :lol:

(Actually, I stopped reading partway through.)
A new, unknown world lies beyond your front step that you sweep so clean of clutter.

Did you observe the beauty of that sentence?

(obligatory lol)
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Astro Cat wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:33 pm
Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:05 pm spews his insane crap into the ocean of goodness. :lol:
I think I can count the number of active posters that don't have noticeable tics or mental illness on one hand. This is not a dig at mental illness.
Yes, it's a bit perplexing.

It seems that this unmoderated forum attracts a surprising percentage of people who want to present themselves as divine or uniquely-gifted know-it-alls (of one sort or another). With all of the consistent feedback they receive (in response to that), I wonder if it is having any useful impact on them? I hope people can use this experience for lightening up rather than further entrenchment.