Representing oneself through someone else

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: Representing oneself through someone else

Post by Lacewing »

Walker wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:37 pm
Lacewing wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:23 pm :lol:

(Actually, I stopped reading partway through.)
A new, unknown world lies beyond your front step that you sweep so clean of clutter.

Did you observe the beauty of that sentence?
Yes, I did. And I will take my broom with me for all of my travels. :wink:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Astro Cat wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:33 pm I think I can count the number of active posters that don't have noticeable tics or mental illness on one hand. This is not a dig at mental illness.
I sometimes think I'm the only normal person here. :|
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Harbal wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:41 pm I sometimes think I'm the only normal person here. :|
We probably all think that about ourselves at times.

Your insightful wit and authenticity are beyond 'normal'... and that's your charm and your wonderful contribution to this forum.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:56 pm
Your insightful wit and authenticity are beyond 'normal'... and that's your charm and your wonderful contribution to this forum.
I'll settle for that. :)
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Harbal wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:01 pm
Lacewing wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:56 pm
I'll settle for that. :)
Well, that came easy to me!

I'm considering (for fun) that I could come up with something nice to say about everyone on this forum... even the ones I've often challenged and potentially insulted. 8)
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:11 pm I'm considering (for fun) that I could come up with something nice to say about everyone on this forum...
But if you said anything nice about Walker you would be lying. :wink:
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Harbal wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:16 pm
Lacewing wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:11 pm I'm considering (for fun) that I could come up with something nice to say about everyone on this forum...
:lol:
Walker

Post by Walker »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:27 pm
Walker wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:34 am
Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:29 pm Can we think, speak, question, and interact for ourselves: what matters to us individually, what we've learned individually, what we think and do (based on what inspires us)... in our own words?
By the evidence you present, only when you gossip ... maliciously.
Strange that you frame that as gossip. When you describe what you see other people doing, you frame it as valuable insight.
Gossip is to talk about people.
You and others of your ilk mostly talk about people. :wink:

Philosophy is to talk about principles.
Illustrating principles requires the observation of principles being illustrated.

Dattaswami talks about principles through the filters of Hindu iconography, or roles, that are given names for easy reference to research, if one cares to consider their relevance to principles being enacted through relationships, such as those both formal and informal and limited to manifestions such as dialogue, by the circumstance.

And as the data from Dattaswami tells us, Hindu iconography and the meaning behind it is about roles.

Not rolls. Not Rolls Royce autos, unless perhaps Ganesh is in the discussion.

This is meaning behind the expression, living life as a metaphor, aka, living one's philosophy.
Last edited by Walker on Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:36 pm
Harbal wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:16 pm
:lol:
Be nice. Don't be mean.

Post by Age »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:39 pm
bobmax wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:05 pm
Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:29 pm Must we prop ourselves up such that we can only repeat the inspirations or claims of others, and if so, then what are we?
We are fanatics.

This happens when we can no longer bear the uncertainty of life.
We want to escape from existential angst. And instead of delving into ourselves, which involves more suffering... let's take a shortcut.

So we grab some "truth" that is presented to us and pretend that it is absolute Truth!
Here is fanaticism.
Interesting/good description!

When we are little kids, every day is a new adventure to be explored. Every moment is full of potential. We are much more adaptive at that stage, it seems. The older we get, the more we want to be in control and be 'right' -- and yes, we can become fanatics as a result of that. We might expect that we're supposed to know all the answers when we get older, rather than relaxing in the acceptance that we don't and it's not even necessary. We're actually stunted when we defend our rigidity.
As I have been SAYING, the ASSUMPTIONS and BELIEFS that 'you', adult human beings, HAVE and HOLD IS what IS STOPPING and PREVENTING from LEARNING, and BECOMING WISER.

See, young children NEVER have NOR hold ASSUMPTIONS nor BELIEFS about what is true, right, and correct in Life, and this is WHY they ENJOY Life, LIVE Life, with EVERY moment being in FULL POTENTIAL to 'them'. It is also this NON ownership of BELIEF and ASSUMPTION WHY 'they' are SO QUICK and SO FAST to LEARN and become WISER than those of 'you', adult human beings, who are, literally, STUCK in 'your' OWN BELIEFS and ASSUMPTIONS.

BELIEF is just being stuck in some "truth".

'Grabbing onto' some 'truth' and PRETENDING that 'it' 'absolute Truth', which is what 'you' ALL do here, and which can be CLEARLY SEEN and PROVED True, is what is HOLDING 'you' ALL back, from what IS ACTUALLY IRREFUTABLY True.

The funniest AND saddest part here is while 'trying to' escape from some existential angst, which 'you' ALL have, 'you' are ALL MISSING OUT on the Fact that NO ACTUAL such 'thing' actually exists ANYWAY. 'you' have ALL 'grabbed hold' of 'some' 'truth', which is NOT even true to begin with, and are PRETENDING, to "yourselves" ONLY, that it is some 'absolute Truth'. That 'truth', laughably, is - 'we are going to die'.

Also, what is EVEN MORE funny and MORE sadder here is that DELVING INTO "your" 'selves' as DEEP as 'you' could get, then there is NO ACTUAL 'suffering' AT ALL. In fact there is ONLY PURE BLISS, CONTENTMENT, SATISFACTION, and REWARD. Although, there are, admittedly, some not so pleasant 'home truths' 'you' will be told or will learn along the way. But, REALLY, these are ALL just very superficial anyway, and are NEEDED to REACH the FINALITY.

Post by Age »

bobmax wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:50 am
Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:39 pm When we are little kids, every day is a new adventure to be explored. Every moment is full of potential. We are much more adaptive at that stage, it seems. The older we get, the more we want to be in control and be 'right' -- and yes, we can become fanatics as a result of that. We might expect that we're supposed to know all the answers when we get older, rather than relaxing in the acceptance that we don't and it's not even necessary. We're actually stunted when we defend our rigidity.
Yes, but I think the fact that as you get older you take stock of the right is a necessary process.

The young person opens up to the world and experiences life.
The 'young person' does NOT 'open up', to the 'world'.

The 'young person' IS OPEN to the 'world', and EXPERIENCES 'Life', Itself.

But, VERY SADLY, it is BECAUSE of this absolutely True and FULL OPENNESS 'they' LEARN ALL of the Wrong that 'you' 'older people' TEACH 'them' while ALSO learning HOW TO "justify" and/or "minimize" the Wrong that ALL of 'you', 'older people' DO.

But, because 'you', 'older people', will NOT DELVE INTO "yourselves" 'you' NEVER get to SEE and LEARN this 'HOME Truth'. 'you' ARE, literally, being STUNTED by 'your', VERY OWN, VERY RIGID BELIEFS and ASSUMPTIONS.
bobmax wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:50 am It is the prodigal son who leaves his father and ventures out into the world.
It is a GOOD 'father', and 'mother', who 'kicks' the 'son', and 'daughter', when 'old enough', out into the 'world' UNDER a WATCHFUL EYE, from AFAR.
bobmax wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:50 am As you get older you make your way back home.

The return is difficult, because it implies suffering.
This is the crucial moment of all life!
Where is this DISILLUSIONMENT of 'suffering' coming FROM, EXACTLY?

When one has been GUIDED to GROW UP and MATURE PROPERLY and CORRECTLY, then they can NEVER so-called 'suffer'. It is ONLY children, non human animals, and even 'the world', itself, that can SUFFER, if they ARE, then it is ALWAYS because of what 'you', adult human beings, HAVE DONE.
bobmax wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:50 am Because it's the moment of truth. And Truth implies pain.
LOL 'you' could NOT be MORE DISILLUSIONED here "bobmax".

ACTUAL 'Truth' ACTUALLY sets 'you' FREE.

It is that 'some' 'truth', which 'you', adult human beings, have a tendency to GRAB ONTO and HOLD ONTO and PRETEND is 'absolute Truth' WHERE 'pain', ACTUALLY, COMES FROM and EXISTS.
bobmax wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:50 am If you can't face the pain of the Truth, you force the game by lying, that's fanaticism.
And 'you' appear to NOT be able to face the so-called 'pain' of the IRREFUTABLE Truth that I have TELLING and EXPOSING to 'you' here.

Which, as 'you' may well be Correct in saying, is WHY 'you' are FORCING 'the game' here by LYING.

Post by Age »

Astro Cat wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:33 pm
Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:05 pm spews his insane crap into the ocean of goodness. :lol:
I think I can count the number of active posters that don't have noticeable tics or mental illness on one hand. This is not a dig at mental illness.
I can count the active posters here that have mental illness in under one number.

If one here thinks that they do NOT have some form of 'mental illness', then this SHOWS and PROVES just how much 'ego' was around, back in the days when this was being written.

This 'one' here, for example, ACTUALLY BELIEVES that what 'it' was 'TAUGHT' through the so-called 'education system' is ACTUAL true, right, and correct.

Which is absolutely LAUGHABLE considering some of 'things' that are and were being 'TAUGHT' 'here'. Which, by the way, is just ANOTHER FORM of 'representing "oneself" through "someone else".

Post by Age »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:31 pm
Astro Cat wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:33 pm
Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:05 pm spews his insane crap into the ocean of goodness. :lol:
I think I can count the number of active posters that don't have noticeable tics or mental illness on one hand. This is not a dig at mental illness.
Yes, it's a bit perplexing.

It seems that this unmoderated forum attracts a surprising percentage of people who want to present themselves as divine or uniquely-gifted know-it-alls (of one sort or another).
"lacewing" this is EXACTLY what 'you' DO here.

Can 'you' REALLY STILL NOT SEE and RECOGNIZE 'this'?

"OH there is MUCH MORE than what you can see. There is NOT one Truth. If only you LISTENED to me and FOLLOWED me and 'danced in the moment', like me, then all will be so MUCH BETTER for you all".

And as for the 'type of people' this forum 'attracts', SURELY 'you' are AWARE that 'you' are HERE, in THIS 'forum', right?
Lacewing wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:31 pm With all of the consistent feedback they receive (in response to that), I wonder if it is having any useful impact on them?
The consistent feedback, which has been and is continually being FED TO 'you', does NOT seem to be having ANY useful impact, on 'you', anyway.
Lacewing wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:31 pm I hope people can use this experience for lightening up rather than further entrenchment.
How about 'you', "lacewing", not just 'lighten up' but ALSO OPEN UP?

Or, is this just TOO MUCH to ask for, from 'you'?

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:41 pm
Astro Cat wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:33 pm I think I can count the number of active posters that don't have noticeable tics or mental illness on one hand. This is not a dig at mental illness.
I sometimes think I'm the only normal person here. :|
As long as 'you' keep that 'short and dry', quick witted humor, "harbal", then 'you' will still remain the most so-called 'normal' one here.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: ...
That's right, Age.

As a principle, Gossip distracts from philosophisizing, and small-talk witticisims are good for a chuckle.