The Tragedy of Life

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek

Re: The Tragedy of Life

Post by duszek »

Harbal wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:39 am
duszek wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:08 pm
Have you made any intersting discoveries in the area of personal excitement management ?
:|
Monks practice asceticism in order to enjoy simple things better.
Deprivation for a while makes excitement easy to achieve again.
Walker

Post by Walker »

The Tragedy of Life is that for some it can be both miserable, and pass by much too quickly.

That reminds me of one of VT's favourite songs.
duszek

Post by duszek »

And the suffering and the misery do not add up to anything.

This was mentioned at the end of the discussion.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

duszek wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:43 pm
Harbal wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:39 am
duszek wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:08 pm
Have you made any intersting discoveries in the area of personal excitement management ?
:|
Monks practice asceticism in order to enjoy simple things better.
Deprivation for a while makes excitement easy to achieve again.
I avoid excitement. I don't find it very rewarding. :|
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

duszek wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:08 pm Have you made any intersting discoveries in the area of personal excitement management
I went to a war, where I experienced the kind of excitement that accompanies danger. I got used to it. I managed to sleep at night even though I might be killed in my sleep. I just accepted that that was the case.

Post by Age »

commonsense wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:30 pm
duszek wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:08 pm Have you made any intersting discoveries in the area of personal excitement management
I went to a war, where I experienced the kind of excitement that accompanies danger. I got used to it. I managed to sleep at night even though I might be killed in my sleep. I just accepted that that was the case.
Well you did have absolutely NO choice but 'to sleep'.

Also, would it NOT be better to be killed while asleep than while awake anyway?
duszek

Post by duszek »

Many people need some level of excitement to feel alive.

Some people go to great lengths to provide this thrill.

James Cameron went down to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, suffered enormous hardships, risked his life, almost died, in order to get some pictures for a movie, so that millions sitting in a cinema or at home can say "Wow" when the authentic wreck of the ship comes to life in all its previous glory.

An incredible person, I have his picture placed on my wardrobe so I can look him in the eye every now and then.

My eagerness for hardships and risky adventures is minimal.

Environmentalists would argue that he wasted resources for futile purposes.
dattaswami

Post by dattaswami »

duszek wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:44 pm Dear Mr or Ms Dattaswami.

Perhaps you are a good person who wishes to make the world a better place.
But you would get more attention if you formulated your messages in short succinct sentences, if I may suggest with all due respect.

Peace.
If you can enjoy misery just like happiness then you will be always in blissful state.
duszek

Post by duszek »

dattaswami wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:09 am

But you would get more attention if you formulated your messages in short succinct sentences, if I may suggest with all due respect.

Peace.
If you can enjoy misery just like happiness then you will be always in blissful state.
Yes, you are right, but this applies only to masochists. Not everybody is a masochist.

I started reading a French novel about a man in France in the 19th century who did not have any pride and flattered those who hurt him.
("Le censeur" by Clélia Anfray)
He felt like a dog. He did not feel happy, rather cynical and embittered.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Whatever happens to us and whatever we do should add up to something meaningful.

If my suffering makes sense because I need to pay for crimes in my previous life (some religions see it that way) then the suffering is necessary and bearable.

Post by Age »

duszek wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:31 pm Many people need some level of excitement to feel alive.
Well these people obviously have distorted thinking.
duszek wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:31 pm Some people go to great lengths to provide this thrill.
Sure.
duszek wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:31 pm James Cameron went down to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, suffered enormous hardships, risked his life, almost died, in order to get some pictures for a movie, so that millions sitting in a cinema or at home can say "Wow" when the authentic wreck of the ship comes to life in all its previous glory.

An incredible person, I have his picture placed on my wardrobe so I can look him in the eye every now and then.

My eagerness for hardships and risky adventures is minimal.

Environmentalists would argue that he wasted resources for futile purposes.
What is 'the message' that you are trying to convey here exactly?

Post by Age »

dattaswami wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:09 am

Peace.
It seems like an oxymoron to be able to 'enjoy misery'. So, how, EXACTLY, does and could one 'enjoy' 'misery'?

Also, from what I have observed those who appear to be far more miserable, and thus could be considered to 'enjoy' being 'miserable' do NOT appear to be in a 'blissful' state AT ALL, let alone ALWAYS.

I FULLY UNDERSTAND HOW one can still be 'content' when there are feelings of 'misery' arising, but 'enjoying' 'misery' again seems VERY CONTRADICTORY.
dattaswami

Post by dattaswami »

Age wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:40 pm
It seems like an oxymoron to be able to 'enjoy misery'. So, how, EXACTLY, does and could one 'enjoy' 'misery'?

Also, from what I have observed those who appear to be far more miserable, and thus could be considered to 'enjoy' being 'miserable' do NOT appear to be in a 'blissful' state AT ALL, let alone ALWAYS.

I FULLY UNDERSTAND HOW one can still be 'content' when there are feelings of 'misery' arising, but 'enjoying' 'misery' again seems VERY CONTRADICTORY.
There are several illustrations to prove that the physical pain can be also enjoyed. In boxing, when the opponent embraces you strongly, you feel unhappy because such a situation leads to your defeat. But, when you are embraced by a beautiful girl, you feel more happiness and the degree of your happiness is proportional to the strength of the embracement!.

Therefore, the physical pain in one situation is unhappy, whereas the same physical pain in another situation leads to happiness. Even when you eat the hot dish, your tongue is burning due to the vigor of chillies and your eyes are showering the tears. All these symptoms are the indication of unhappiness only.

But still you enjoy the happiness in eating the hot dish. Therefore, you cannot link the enjoyment with mere external material. Ofcourse, the external material gives rise to the feeling and the feeling may be pleasant or unpleasant depending on one factor, which is that whether the external material is interacted continuously or not. If you are interacting with any item or situation of the creation continuously, you become unhappy. Even the embracement of the beautiful girl becomes unpleasant, if such embracement continues without gap.

If you are exposed to the heat for a long time you feel happiness in cold as in the case of the Indian. If you are exposed to cold for a long time you feel happiness in the warmness and heat as in the case of a foreigner. Hence the process of enjoyment depends on the alternating interaction with the external items or situations in this world. Hence, any continuous interaction with the same item or situation gives unhappiness, whereas the change in the interaction gives happiness. God is the Father of the souls and hence arranges the life cycles of the souls with alternating pleasant and unpleasant scenes.

Even though you have done sins continuously for some long span of time and good deeds continuously in another long span of time, God does not arrange the life cycles with the continuous misery and continuous happiness proportionally in corresponding long spans of time.

God neglects this continuous span of time and arranges the life cycle in such a way so that every life cycle is fixed with alternating fruits of sins and good deeds. The re-arrangement of the good and bad fruits in alternating fashion by drawing good and bad fruits from both these span is done by God, who is omnipotent.

You may expect God to cancel all the sins due to His omnipotent nature. If it is done like that, you will not enjoy since continuity of anything leads to misery. Hence even in such case, misery is inevitable. Therefore, if you do not pray God for removing the miseries, God has already arranged the life cycles in best way to give you continuous enjoyment. You are praying God to remove the difficulties, which are the fruits of your bad deeds. The law of justice does not accept the cancellation of the fruit of any deed. Hence, due to your prayers the difficulties are postponed to later births by God along with compounded interest. You also pray God to give continuous happiness. For this God, draws the good fruits from the future births with reduced interest to the present life cycle. Due to such continuous enjoyment of good fruits, you are again bored with misery.

Hence, you are totally foolish in disturbing the already designed life cycles of God. As a result of this foolishness your future births will be full of continuous miseries. The continuity of the misery gives you unhappiness just like the continuity of happiness. Therefore, pray God always attracted by your love to His divine personality and not for disturbing the already best designed life cycles by God due to His paternal affection. Therefore, you will be continuously happy by enjoying the alternating pleasant and unpleasant scenes of life and by not asking anything from God.

Post by Age »

dattaswami wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:51 am
Age wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:40 pm

There are several illustrations to prove that the physical pain can be also enjoyed. In boxing, when the opponent embraces you strongly, you feel unhappy because such a situation leads to your defeat.
That is ONLY if 'you' are a person who thinks or BELIEVES that there is a WIN or LOSE situation, and who does NOT like so-called 'defeat'.

Also, some people, some times, LIKE or ENJOY physical pain ANYWAY. But that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL to do with 'misery', itself. 'Misery' is AN 'emotion' OR 'internal feeling'. 'Misery' does NOT necessarily have ANY thing to do with physical pain. Even in your example here it is 'defeat' that is CAUSING the 'misery' and NOT the 'physical pain' AT ALL.

So, best you FIND some thing ELSE to USE here.
dattaswami wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:51 am But, when you are embraced by a beautiful girl, you feel more happiness and the degree of your happiness is proportional to the strength of the embracement!.
'you' will 'TRY TO' find ANY words that 'you' think, and HOPE, will back up your CLAIMS, right?

If one finds a "girl" so-called 'beautiful' and LIKES an embrace from that 'human being', then OBVIOUSLY that one might feel 'more happiness' WITHIN, but HOW EXACTLY is this related to 'physical pain' in ANY way?
dattaswami wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:51 am Therefore, the physical pain in one situation is unhappy, whereas the same physical pain in another situation leads to happiness.
Oh, are you saying if one is 'defeated' in a boxing match by what 'you' call a 'beautiful girl', then this so-called 'defeat' can bring about 'more happiness' than if one is 'defeated' let us say by an 'ugly man or boy', correct?

Also, and by the way, I think your use of the word 'embrace' here does NOT work, and this is because in 'english' and in 'boxing' there is NO 'embrace' when one is 'defeated'. There might be an 'embrace' in 'wrestling', when one is 'defeated', but I am NOT sure if the 'embrace' word is used in 'wrestling' either, with 'defeat'.

I think in 'boxing' if one is 'embracing' the "other" then this is not allowed, and they are told to 'release', and I am pretty sure that one could NEVER 'defeat' "another" from an 'embrace', in 'boxing'.

Or, 'you' might have just been 'trying to' be DECEPTIVE here by the use of the word 'embrace' in 'boxing', with 'defeat', while using the 'embrace' word in relation with a 'beautiful girl' concept, which would be an ATTEMPT at being VERY DECEPTIVE, to say the least.

But anyway we will just have to WAIT and SEE.
dattaswami wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:51 am Even when you eat the hot dish, your tongue is burning due to the vigor of chillies and your eyes are showering the tears. All these symptoms are the indication of unhappiness only.
'indications' are NOT necessarily what is ACTUALLY HAPPENING.
dattaswami wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:51 am But still you enjoy the happiness in eating the hot dish.
That is RIGHT, you 'enjoy' the 'happiness'. you are NOT 'enjoying' the 'misery'.
dattaswami wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:51 am Therefore, you cannot link the enjoyment with mere external material.
BUT it IS 'you', "dataswami", who INTRODUCED the idea of 'physical pain'.

I just asked 'you' the VERY SIMPLE question, How, EXACTLY, does and could one 'enjoy' 'misery'?
dattaswami wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:51 am Ofcourse, the external material gives rise to the feeling and the feeling may be pleasant or unpleasant depending on one factor, which is that whether the external material is interacted continuously or not. If you are interacting with any item or situation of the creation continuously, you become unhappy. Even the embracement of the beautiful girl becomes unpleasant, if such embracement continues without gap.
I have NO CLUE AT ALL what 'you' are on about here.

And, I am NOT sure HOW interacting with 'Life', Itself, continuously, somehow leads to becoming 'unhappy'.

Maybe you will like to EXPLAIN HOW, later on, but FIRST I would like you to EXPLAIN HOW one could 'enjoy' 'misery', itself.
dattaswami wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:51 am If you are exposed to the heat for a long time you feel happiness in cold as in the case of the Indian.
What are you ON ABOUT?

Here we have FURTHER PROOF of how these people, back in these days, would look for just absolutely ANY thing, in the hope that it would somehow back up and support some previously CLAIM they made, which I have just QUESTIONED them about.

The QUESTION WAS, and STILL IS, How, EXACTLY could and/or does 'enjoy' 'misery', itself?
dattaswami wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:51 am If you are exposed to cold for a long time you feel happiness in the warmness and heat as in the case of a foreigner. Hence the process of enjoyment depends on the alternating interaction with the external items or situations in this world. Hence, any continuous interaction with the same item or situation gives unhappiness, whereas the change in the interaction gives happiness.
So, 'you', "dattaswami", have become UNHAPPY in Life, and now does this MEAN that 'you' WILL become HAPPY in Death?
dattaswami wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:51 am God is the Father of the souls and hence arranges the life cycles of the souls with alternating pleasant and unpleasant scenes.
But, besides 'you', as an adult human being, ABUSING children and "others", being an OBVIOUSLY UNPLEASANT scene to OBSERVE and BEHOLD, there are NO other so-called 'alternating pleasant and unpleasant scenes'.

EVERY thing is relative to the observer so if 'you' feel some UNPLEASANT scenes just because 'you' do NOT like the temperature of Life or Creation on the skin of that body, then that is just because of 'your' VERY NARROWED and SHALLOW view of things.
dattaswami wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:51 am Even though you have done sins continuously for some long span of time and good deeds continuously in another long span of time, God does not arrange the life cycles with the continuous misery and continuous happiness proportionally in corresponding long spans of time.
'I' asked 'you', HOW could one 'enjoy' 'misery'?

Either EXPLAIN, or do NOT EXPLAIN.

INTRODUCING what you have been here is NOT EXPLAINING, AT ALL.
dattaswami wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:51 am God neglects this continuous span of time and arranges the life cycle in such a way so that every life cycle is fixed with alternating fruits of sins and good deeds. The re-arrangement of the good and bad fruits in alternating fashion by drawing good and bad fruits from both these span is done by God, who is omnipotent.
Besides what you SAY and CLAIM here just being Truly ABSURD, your ABSOLUTE INABILITY to EXPLAIN WHY God would, CONTINUALLY, make RE-OCCURING BAD 'things' PROVES that 'you' do NOT KNOW what 'you' are talking ABOUT here.
dattaswami wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:51 am You may expect God to cancel all the sins due to His omnipotent nature. If it is done like that, you will not enjoy since continuity of anything leads to misery.
LOL

Besides the ATTEMPT AT DEFLECTION here, it was 'YOU' who SAID some 'thing' about ENJOYING 'misery', PREVIOUSLY.
dattaswami wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:51 am Hence even in such case, misery is inevitable. Therefore, if you do not pray God for removing the miseries, God has already arranged the life cycles in best way to give you continuous enjoyment.
Do 'you' even REALIZE how MANY TIMES 'you' CONTRADICT "your" OWN words here "dattaswami"?
dattaswami wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:51 am You are praying God to remove the difficulties, which are the fruits of your bad deeds. The law of justice does not accept the cancellation of the fruit of any deed. Hence, due to your prayers the difficulties are postponed to later births by God along with compounded interest. You also pray God to give continuous happiness. For this God, draws the good fruits from the future births with reduced interest to the present life cycle. Due to such continuous enjoyment of good fruits, you are again bored with misery.
I think 'you' WILL FIND here "dattaswami" is that the ONLY 'one' 'you' are FOOLING here is, literally, "your" OWN 'self'.

'you' are speaking in such a CONVOLUTED WAY that even 'you' can NOT make sense of it ANYMORE.
dattaswami wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:51 am Hence, you are totally foolish in disturbing the already designed life cycles of God. As a result of this foolishness your future births will be full of continuous miseries. The continuity of the misery gives you unhappiness just like the continuity of happiness.
BUT 'what' 'misery'?

WHY do 'you' WONDER 'you' are LIVING IN 'misery' "dattaswami"?
dattaswami wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:51 am Therefore, pray God always attracted by your love to His divine personality and not for disturbing the already best designed life cycles by God due to His paternal affection. Therefore, you will be continuously happy by enjoying the alternating pleasant and unpleasant scenes of life and by not asking anything from God.
But you just got through TELLING us that you can NOT ALWAYS be happy.

'you' just TOLD us that 'you' LIVE IN 'misery' BECAUSE of the WAY God made 'life' FOR 'you', "dattaswami".
dattaswami

Post by dattaswami »

Age wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:40 am
What are you ON ABOUT?

Here we have FURTHER PROOF of how these people, back in these days, would look for just absolutely ANY thing, in the hope that it would somehow back up and support some previously CLAIM they made, which I have just QUESTIONED them about.
Thank you very much for your replies.

I will give an example to show that this is practically possible. A child enjoys the sweet, but dislikes the hot dish since it tasted the hot dish once and felt the pinch of it. This means that the child did not enjoy the hot dish even once and hence, does not like to taste the hot dish again.
But, you take the case of an adult. He enjoyed the hot dish and hence, he tries to taste the hot dish again and again. The difference between the child and adult establishes the fact that the enjoyment and non-enjoyment of the hot dish does not lie in the dish, but lies in the attitude of the enjoyer.

Similarly, misery also can be enjoyed as in the case of enjoyment of hot dish by the adult. All the souls in the creation, who do not like the enjoyment of misery, resemble those children. The human incarnation of God enjoys the misery and infact, God comes down to the earth in order to enjoy the misery, which is totally absent in His upper abode.

In His upper abode, only happiness and praise of God persists by which God gets bored like in the continuous enjoyment of sweets. God called His gate-watchmen called Jaya and Vijaya and requested them to take birth as villains to give Him troubles on the earth so that He can enjoy the hot dish for a change[2]. I will give an example to show that this is practically possible. A child enjoys the sweet, but dislikes the hot dish since it tasted the hot dish once and felt the pinch of it. This means that the child did not enjoy the hot dish even once and hence, does not like to taste the hot dish again.

But, you take the case of an adult. He enjoyed the hot dish and hence, he tries to taste the hot dish again and again. The difference between the child and adult establishes the fact that the enjoyment and non-enjoyment of the hot dish does not lie in the dish, but lies in the attitude of the enjoyer.

Similarly, misery also can be enjoyed as in the case of enjoyment of hot dish by the adult. All the souls in the creation, who do not like the enjoyment of misery, resemble those children. The human incarnation of God enjoys the misery and infact, God comes down to the earth in order to enjoy the misery, which is totally absent in His upper abode.

In His upper abode, only happiness and praise of God persists by which God gets bored like in the continuous enjoyment of sweets. God called His gate-watchmen called Jaya and Vijaya and requested them to take birth as villains to give Him troubles on the earth so that He can enjoy the hot dish for a change[2].

The hot dish not only gives a variety of enjoyment but also serves as a break between two sweet dishes. Infact, the sweet dish after hot dish gives reinforced enjoyment. Thus, the hot dish serves a double purpose and is very important.

You may argue that the tragedy in a cinema can be enjoyed since we know that the entire cinema is unreal. But, the tragedy in life cannot be enjoyed like that since we know that the entire life is a reality.

God may enjoy the tragedy in the life of a human incarnation, since, for God, everything is unreal expect Himself. But, for a human being, the situation is quite different.

Since the soul is a part of unreal creation, the unreal creation cannot be unreal for the unreal soul. Unreal for unreal is always real. This argument is ruled out because even the soul can feel the creation unreal.

The entire creation is a modification of the cosmic energy. Matter is a modification of energy. All the static items are different forms of the energy only.

All the actions are different forms of kinetic energy. Infact, the space, which we consider as vacuum is also subtle invisible cosmic energy only.
This point can be proven through science. The special theory of relativity says that space bends along the boundaries of an object. If space is nothing, nothing cannot bend. Only if it is something, it can bend.

Therefore, there is nothing like nothing. The vacuum acts as a source of generation of galaxies. Therefore, the entire creation is nothing but different modified forms of cosmic energy. Even the soul is a form of nervous energy, which is a specific type of kinetic energy only, since the soul or awareness is only transformation of information from the senses to brain.

Thus, the soul can realize that the entire creation is basically a continuous quantum of cosmic energy only. In that case, all the forms like objects and all the activities are unreal with respect to the basic cosmic energy. When this is realized, the entire creation becomes unreal since there is only one real cosmic energy.

On realizing the unreal creation, the soul can enjoy the tragedy of life also as a tragedy of the unreal cinema. This monism (Advaita) is preached by Shankara to all the human beings. In His preaching to the souls, the ultimate absolute reality is cosmic energy, which can be called as Brahman.
The word Brahman can be applied to the greatest item of any category. The Veda is called as Brahman in the Gita since the Veda is the greatest book among all the books.

Coming to cosmic energy, it is the greatest among all the items of the entire creation. The word Brahman perfectly suits the cosmic energy since it is the greatest among all the categories of the entire creation.

God is also called as Brahman because God is greater then cosmic energy. God is the ultimate absolute reality and with reference to Him, even the cosmic energy is unreal. As far as the forms and activities of the creation are concerned, they are unreal with respect to the immediate cosmic energy and they are also unreal with respect to the final God.

Cosmic energy is the ultimate absolute reality with respect to forms and activities of the creation. But, the same cosmic energy is a unreal relative reality with respect to God, Who is the ultimate absolute reality.

Therefore, both the God and the soul can realize the creation in the level of forms and activities as unreal. This point of unreality of forms and activities is common to both God and soul. The ultimate absolute reality may differ in the case of God and soul and that difference is unnecessary as far as the unreal relative reality of the forms and activities is concerned.

For God, the absolute reality is Himself and for the soul, the absolute reality is cosmic energy. The soul itself is a part of cosmic energy. It can never consider itself as unreal. Therefore, the soul can never transcend the cosmic energy.

Hence, the soul can enjoy the tragedy in the level of forms and activities like God in human incarnation. There is no difference between God and soul as far as the realization of unreality of creation in the level of forms and activities is concerned. The basis for comedy or tragedy in the life is only the level of forms and activities of the creation.

The soul can never transcend space and can never imagine the situation beyond space. Since space is energy, it means that the soul can never transcend space or energy. Therefore, God, existing beyond space becomes unimaginable to any soul.

The producer-cum-director is watching the entire drama from outside. The actor is a part of the drama.

The unreal drama, involving the created story of scenes, can be realized as unreal by the inside actor as well as the outside producer-cum-director. The unreality of drama is common to both and it does not distinguish the actor and producer-cum-director.

The monism preached by Shankara is one and the same from the point of the soul as well as from the point of God. The only difference is that the cosmic energy of which the soul is a part becomes the ultimate absolute reality for the soul, whereas for God the ultimate absolute reality is Himself since the cosmic energy is also an unreal relative reality in the view of God.

Therefore, the human incarnation of God and also the realized soul can enjoy the misery of the world since it is unreal to both.