the queen is dead

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

iambiguous

the queen is dead

Post by iambiguous »

The Queen of England is dead.

Now, philosophically or otherwise, is there a way to pin down how all rational men and women are obligated to react to it?

Or, instead, will our individual reactions to it be predicated more on the existential trajectory of our lives? Some being indoctrinated as children and then accumulating personal experiences and relationships as adults that predispose them to be gladdened by it, or saddened by it, or to be completely indifferent to it.

You tell us what we should all be thinking and feeling now.

Providing of course that you know.
phyllo

Re: the queen is dead

Post by phyllo »

The queen is dead.
Long live the king.

Chuck has been waiting long enough. Enjoy.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

I can't say I feel the slightest grief.

But it's an odd feeling. It's like Mt Everest is gone. Some part of the furniture of the world is gone. Not a piece I liked, but the future slides toward us.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Seems sudden. Yes. I know she was 96, but she was meeting the PM only a few days ago. It's not as if she was bed-ridden or non compos mentis.
I think Charles will be a much more interesting monarch. He can't help saying what he thinks :)
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Oh well...

So much for the point of the OP.
Mine for example.

:wink:
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

If I thought there was some reaction all rational people should have, I would have posted it. I'd be so proud if I could even come up with what should be the universal reaction, let alone some reaction one can deduce. I think even of people believing she was objectively good or evil, few would think 'reactions' can or should be deduced rationally.

Next that subgroup will be teliing me I should love butterscotch ice cream or hate my wife.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

There can be only one ... reaction.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

i stand with the british woman i noted in the CNN post. what is sad is that anyone died, and while it may be perfectly innocuous to attitude some special rank to the sadness of the queen's death, it's in reality nothing special of the sort. u know how many 96 year old little old ladies die every day? y r u making a big deal outta this little old lady?

what's unfortunate is that there is still a functioning monarchy in the western world at all.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

phyllo wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:11 pm There can be only one ... reaction.
for each of us?`LIke I can only have one reaction and you can only have one, but they don't need to be the same?
I think I actually had a couple of reactions, sort of mixed, but if you meant that each of us would have our reaction, though these reactions will be diverse, then...yeah.
Last edited by Iwannaplato on Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Thanks.

Just when I thought I was back at ILP, you've managed come through for me.

Sure, let's go there...

What one and only one reaction can there be?

And, just to assure a more precarious exchange, let's assume that we both possess at least some measure of free will.

You more than me of course.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

iambiguous wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:19 pm
Thanks.

Just when I thought I was back at ILP, you've managed come through for me.

Sure, let's go there...

What one and only one reaction can there be?

And, just to assure a more precarious exchange, let's assume that we both possess at least some measure of free will.

You more than me of course.
Again you misunderstand.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

iambiguous wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:53 pm You tell us what we should all be thinking and feeling now.
She was grand and regal. Hers was a hard job to do well, and she held up her end, I would estimate.

Whether others should feel the same, I'm not able to say.

What I'm thinking is, "Is there any chance she settled the succession by skipping at least one generation?"

I don't suppose such a thing is ever done, though...and she was one for duty.
Maia

Post by Maia »

I admit that I cried a bit when I heard.

Monarchy, when it works best, has a kind of sacred aura about it, setting its members off apart from the rest of us. Elected politicians come and go, but the monarchy remains. It doesn't bother me that the royal family have so much wealth, who on earth would want their lives?

Occasionally, of course, the hereditary principle throws up some really unsuitable characters. The last time this happened was in 1936, but the monarch in question, the Nazi-sympathising Edward VIII, was forced out of office in less than a year, so the system still works well. It remains to be seen whether Charles III will lose his head, like Charles I, or sell his country out to the French, like Charles II.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Maia wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:13 pm I admit that I cried a bit when I heard.

Monarchy, when it works best, has a kind of sacred aura about it, setting its members off apart from the rest of us. Elected politicians come and go, but the monarchy remains. It doesn't bother me that the royal family have so much wealth, who on earth would want their lives?

Occasionally, of course, the hereditary principle throws up some really unsuitable characters. The last time this happened was in 1936, but the monarch in question, the Nazi-sympathising Edward VIII, was forced out of office in less than a year, so the system still works well. It remains to be seen whether Charles III will lose his head, like Charles I, or sell his country out to the French, like Charles II.
Groan
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:42 pm
iambiguous wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:53 pm You tell us what we should all be thinking and feeling now.
She was grand and regal. Hers was a hard job to do well, and she held up her end, I would estimate.

Whether others should feel the same, I'm not able to say.

What I'm thinking is, "Is there any chance she settled the succession by skipping at least one generation?"

I don't suppose such a thing is ever done, though...and she was one for duty.
Why on earth would she do that? Because people think that soppy woke twat William is 'better looking'? :lol: