What is the love?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RuthScott

What is the love?

Post by RuthScott »

Hello there, I'm a philosophy enthusiast, and love has always piqued my interest. In your opinion, what is love, and why should we love?I look forward to hearing from you!
Harbal

Re: What is the love?

Post by Harbal »

RuthScott wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:32 pm Hello there, I'm a philosophy enthusiast, and love has always piqued my interest. In your opinion, what is love, and why should we love?I look forward to hearing from you!
Love is like oxygen
You get too much you get too high
Not enough and you're gonna die
Love gets you high

William Shakespeare
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Love without sex is the equalization between greater and lesser; God supposedly loves us because we're only human, in which case, compassion is in order.

Love with sex is a defense against parasites...biologically speaking.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

A wise person once told me something about love - what exactly is in the realm of forgotten things. All I remember was the look of concern in his eyes.

A dog 100 feet away on Thursday, in the afternoon ... can't find my shoes ... where's the door?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Love is that beautiful, warm, fuzzy, amazing, wonderful, exciting, delicious, ecstatic butterfly feeling in your tummy when you sense something very good is about to happen.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

RuthScott wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:32 pm Hello there, I'm a philosophy enthusiast, and love has always piqued my interest. In your opinion, what is love, and why should we love?I look forward to hearing from you!
1. All living things are programmed via evolution to survive as long as possible till the inevitable of mortality; this is linked to the preservation of the species.

2. Where living things has a short-life, nature relied on the probability of large numbers to facilitate the preservation of the species.

3. As living things [in animals] get more complex along with evolution, there is a need of 'bonding' between the parent[s] and to ensure the infants are nurtured efficiently to enable the reproduction of the next generation.
Also there is also a need for bonding between the opposite sex to facilitate sexual reproduction of the next generation.

4. Note the ferocious mother crocodile and the like are programmed with ocytocin [the bonding or love chemical] at least for a few months till the youngs are able to fend for themselves. Once this ocytocin is absent, the mother crocodile will not hesitate to eat his own youngs.
5. While oxytocin is based on secretions from the hypothalamus into the bloodstream, this is temporary as such a more permanent [longer term] basis of bonding is programed via evolution in terms of the love-emotions via the limbic system in the more complex animals.

6. In the case of the love-emotions this is extended beyond, parent-child, couples, friends, tribe, etc. which are elements that facilitate 1, i.e. preservation of the species.

7. Because animals are complex organisms, the oxytocin and love-emotions can be messed up by other contrary variables, thus there is no consistency in the acts of love within all humans.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:23 am
1. All living things are programmed via evolution to survive as long as possible till the inevitable of mortality; this is linked to the preservation of the species.
Orgasm was programmed to ensure the bonding process would be reciprocated. Hence why offspring often appear to be the effect of that cause.

In other words, we have kids because we like orgasms. For one moment of pleasure, you get a lifetime of pain.
Veritas Aequitas

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:37 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:23 am
Orgasm was programmed to ensure the bonding process would be reciprocated. Hence why offspring often appear to be the effect of that cause.

In other owrds, we have kids because we like orgasms. For one moment of pleasure, you get a lifetime of pain.
Nah, orgasm is secondary, what is primary is the sexual lust.
The drive to fulfil the sexual lust need not end up with an orgasm; as reported, most females do not end up with an orgasm when driven acted upon by a rush of sexual lust.
Orgasm is more effective for the males to maintain the preservation of the species but 'love' in this case is not the major concern.

What is more primary here is the maternal-paternal instinct that is driven by the love emotion and ocytocin; therefrom the sexual lust drives take over and orgasm follow or do not follow.
The love functions are extended to the offspring and further to near kins, relative and tribes.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:55 am Nah, orgasm is secondary, what is primary is the sexual lust.
Nah, sexual lust is a primary and fundamental orgasmic experience, often more intense than the actual release of any sexual tension that has built up as and through the mechanics of sexual lust. I should know.

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:55 amThe drive to fulfil the sexual lust need not end up with an orgasm; as reported, most females do not end up with an orgasm when driven acted upon by a rush of sexual lust.
Orgasm is more effective for the males to maintain the preservation of the species but 'love' in this case is not the major concern.

What is more primary here is the maternal-paternal instinct that is driven by the love emotion and ocytocin; therefrom the sexual lust drives take over and orgasm follow or do not follow.
The love functions are extended to the offspring and further to near kins, relative and tribes.
Just because a woman does not orgasm during sex, doesn't mean the orgasm is absent in that woman. The orgasm was programmed to make the couples bond, to make them want each other, ensuring offspring as an effect of that bonding.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:55 am Nah, orgasm is secondary, what is primary is the sexual lust.
Orgasm frequently occurs from sexual and/or genital stimulation but has been documented outside these contexts and may be better conceptualized as a set of neuropsychological processes. Objective: To document a range of orgasm experiences. Methods: A content analysis of 687 anonymously posted online comments related to nonsexual orgasms. Results: Orgasm types include those related to exercise, sleep, drug use, riding in vehicles, breastfeeding, eating, auditory stimulation, and childbirth, among others. Conclusions: Orgasm is experienced in association with varied forms of sensory stimulation. This study provides information about the diversity of human orgasm, informing sex education, therapy, and practice.

Sexual lust is an orgasmic experience. It's neither prior or after the sensation. The Orgasmic experience, therefore, is an abstract concept. It's purely a subjective experience.

And love is anything that causes one pleasure and pain respectively, because too much of anything is not always a good thing.

Too much of a good thing can cause an equal and opposite repulsive feeling.

I've had an orgasm in my sleep while I was alone, I never even touched myself, and the sensation was more intense than any orgasm I've experienced awake. So just being an alive conscious sentient being can be an orgasmic experience. It's not primary, the awareness is primary to any sensation. The orgasmic experience is produced by brain chemicals..the brain is primary, not the sexual lust.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:44 am
Orgasm frequently occurs from sexual and/or genital stimulation but has been documented outside these contexts and may be better conceptualized as a set of neuropsychological processes. Objective: To document a range of orgasm experiences. Methods: A content analysis of 687 anonymously posted online comments related to nonsexual orgasms. Results: Orgasm types include those related to exercise, sleep, drug use, riding in vehicles, breastfeeding, eating, auditory stimulation, and childbirth, among others. Conclusions: Orgasm is experienced in association with varied forms of sensory stimulation. This study provides information about the diversity of human orgasm, informing sex education, therapy, and practice.
I heard of a man who orgasmed every time he sneezed. He also had quite severe hayfever, but, unlike most sufferers of the condition, he very much looked forward to the summer.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:56 am
I heard of a man who orgasmed every time he sneezed. He also had quite severe hayfever, but, unlike most sufferers of the condition, he very much looked forward to the summer.
:lol:
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Harbal wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:56 am
Ah yes, That was Peter Pepperbuyer wasn't it?
From a long line of Pepperbuyers.
Walker

Post by Walker »

In my opinion, an opinion that Sri Nisagadatta Maharaj distills to the essence, Love is the meaning and purpose of duality.

Since anyone's sense of self hinges on the self-concept which is formed in varying degrees by subject/object relationship, the variance of degree determined by individual capacities, the purpose of duality is the purpose of being and the purpose of existence since purpose itself is a dualistic concept that never-the-less, exists even in animals that are unaware of the big picture.

Looking forward to your response!
Veritas Aequitas

Sexual lust is an orgasmic experience. It's neither prior or after the sensation. The Orgasmic experience, therefore, is an abstract concept. It's purely a subjective experience.

And love is anything that causes one pleasure and pain respectively, because too much of anything is not always a good thing.

Too much of a good thing can cause an equal and opposite repulsive feeling.

I've had an orgasm in my sleep while I was alone, I never even touched myself, and the sensation was more intense than any orgasm I've experienced awake. So just being an alive conscious sentient being can be an orgasmic experience. It's not primary, the awareness is primary to any sensation. The orgasmic experience is produced by brain chemicals..the brain is primary, not the sexual lust.
You are veering off topic from the OP which focus on 'love':

Note again with the sexual drive in perspective within the evolutionary time line;
  • 1. All living things are programmed via evolution to survive as long as possible till the inevitable of mortality; this is linked to the preservation of the species.

2. Where living things has a short-life, nature relied on the probability of large numbers to facilitate the preservation of the species.

2a. As living things evolve to be more complex, certain animals are programmed with the sexual drive [lust] to facilitate sexual reproduction between opposite sexes.
    Animals of the opposite sexes are driven by the sexual drive [lust] to copulate with the opposite sex, there is no elements of orgasm in all animals, except humans or maybe higher primates.
    Biologically the males are programmed with 'thrusting' instincts while the females are programmed with lordosis [in humans - the open legs or doggy impulse :D -seriously it's biological]

• Lordosis behavior (/lɔːrˈdoʊsɪs/[1]), also known as mammalian lordosis (Greek lordōsis, from lordos "bent backward"[1]) or presenting, is the naturally occurring body posture for sexual receptivity to copulation present in females of most mammals including rodents, elephants, and cats.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lordosis_behavior
    3. As living things [in animals] get more complex along with evolution, there is a need of 'bonding' [love] between the parent[s] and to ensure the infants are nurtured efficiently to enable the reproduction of the next generation.
    To avoid 'force' there is also a need for bonding [love] between the opposite sex to facilitate [mutually] sexual reproduction of the next generation.

4. Note the ferocious mother crocodile and the like are programmed with ocytocin [the bonding or love chemical] at least for a few months till the youngs are able to fend for themselves. Once this ocytocin is absent, the mother crocodile will not hesitate to eat his own youngs.
    Oxytocin: The love hormone
    Oxytocin can help us bond with loved ones and can be released through touch, music and exercise.
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and ... ve-hormone
    5. While oxytocin is based on secretions from the hypothalamus into the bloodstream, this is temporary as such a more permanent [longer term] basis of bonding is programed via evolution in terms of the love-emotions via the limbic system in the more complex animals.

5a. Human beings in its later stages of evolution are programmed with free will for good reasons but it could also mean they are free not to have sex, thus a risk to the preservation of the species. As such human beings are programmed with the orgasm algorithm [neural] to motivate them to copulate with the opposite sex.
    This orgasm algorithm can be triggered other than sex acts, e.g. dreams, just happened, etc.

6. In the case of the love-emotions this is extended beyond, parent-child, couples, friends, tribe, etc. which are elements that facilitate 1, i.e. preservation of the species.

7. Because animals are complex organisms, the oxytocin and love-emotions can be messed up by other contrary variables, thus there is no consistency in the acts of love within all humans.
You will note 2a preceded 5a, thus the sexual drive inherent in humans is primary while the orgasm algorithm is secondary.