"Know Thyself" What does that Entail?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skip

Re: "Know Thyself" What does that Entail?

Post by Skip »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:19 am SKIP: "Many a factory worker has a better understanding of himself and fewer illusions than many a professor"
You are making a lot of noises with that which is too general.

Surely it has to depend on what are the issues involved.
There is no "issue" involved. You understand yourself or you don't. Evidently, you don't.
In terms of nutrition & health, a professor on such a subject will have a better understanding than the factory worker and the potential to maintain better health with the knowledge he has.
Sometimes. And it's irrelevant.
Would you trust the village shaman surgeon or the modern day qualified surgeon to operate on you?
I'd prefer the surgeon, and I wouldn't care about his level of self-knowledge, only his professional skill.
You really haven't got a clue what self-knowledge is, have you?
Hermit Philosopher

Post by Hermit Philosopher »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:15 am…/On the last point I would add, there is no way to claim there is absolute objective reality or truth.
However there are objective-reality which are conditional upon a specific framework and system of knowledge [FSK] or reality, thus relative, not absolute.
For example scientific truths are objective but they are objective in the relative sense since they are conditioned upon the scientific FSK which is managed and sustained by humans, thus ultimately it is intersubjective.
You and I appear to speak the same language, Veritas Aequitas. And yes, I completely agree with you on this.

Humbly
Hermit
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Skip wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:38 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:19 am SKIP: "Many a factory worker has a better understanding of himself and fewer illusions than many a professor"
You are making a lot of noises with that which is too general.

Surely it has to depend on what are the issues involved.
There is no "issue" involved. You understand yourself or you don't. Evidently, you don't.
In terms of nutrition & health, a professor on such a subject will have a better understanding than the factory worker and the potential to maintain better health with the knowledge he has.
Sometimes. And it's irrelevant.
Would you trust the village shaman surgeon or the modern day qualified surgeon to operate on you?
I'd prefer the surgeon, and I wouldn't care about his level of self-knowledge, only his professional skill.
You really haven't got a clue what self-knowledge is, have you?
I believe you are referring to presumably the ontological aspect of self?

I have already stated in the above I am not interested in that, I mentioned,

In the later usage [2.4] the common theme is related to 'God' e.g. "Who knows himself, knows his Lord."
Most of the other interpretations of 'know thyself' do not appear to be effective for the progress of humanity.

For a surgeon [in contrast to a mechanic], he has to understand the related human nature. and since he is human, he should know that aspect of his self physically in this case. As such he know himself in relation to his skills and at the same has competences in his skill he is qualified for.

As for the majority, they should at least strive to 'know thyself' i.e. understand their basic human nature and preferably the more about their human nature [physically and mentally] the better for them to optimize their well being.