FlashDangerpants, henry quirk and the "big stuff"

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: FlashDangerpants, henry quirk and the "big stuff"

Post by Immanuel Can »

iambiguous wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:15 pm I maintain that, like me and you, henry lived a particular life and, given his own personal experiences, he came to acquire one set of moral and political and spiritual prejudices regarding the "big stuff" rather than another.
Amazing! You were around, watching me and Henry all our lives? And we never saw you! Yet you claim to know our entire histories...both of us.

Are you a god? :lol:
And, thus, given new experiences, he might come to change his mind about the "big stuff" again.
This is a trivial thought.

It amounts to, "People can learn stuff." Wow. :lol:

I don't know what you might have thought was the case, otherwise: that we pop into existence with all our "big ideas" fully formed, and then afterward never process anything?

But learning has another aspect: it's only really "learning" if your views are, at least in some way, getting better, more accurate to reality, more truthful, more perceptive. If they're otherwise, you're "unlearning," or "being propagandized," or "being deceived or misled."

So what's the big surprise if somebody gets smarter as he gets older, and changes his views? :shock:

Of course, the opposite can happen, too: people can willfully choose a path of ideological devotion that prevents further learning, as when one becomes a Communist or a cultist, for example. But what should be happening, in a healthy mind, is that learning continually sharpens understanding to a sharper and sharper point. The 25 year old Biggie should be existentially smarter than the 10 year old one. And the 50 year old Biggie ought to have more refined views than either of them.

That would mean that as Biggie gets older, he needs to change his mind less often and less radically. His views should be better formed, more well-considered, and closer to reality than at the beginning -- unless, as I say, he takes an indoctrinatory turn into ideology along the way, which will wreck that, of course.

But if you find Henry more cautious about radically throwing over all his views at age 55 say, than he would have been at 14, that should surprise you not at all. It should signal to you the possibility that he has a healthy mind and an appropriate learning process. That's not a guarantee, of course, because he could simply be indoctrinated; but a certain reluctance to change should also characterize every person with sharpened, well-formed views.

He should appear more "objective" as time goes on, if he's learning. if he's not, of course, he'll seem blankly "open minded," quick to drop his views and pick up new ones, devoid of rational arguments, and generally stupid. But I don't think any of us think that's how he is.

The Big Stuff is usually the last to change, because in a healthy mind, it's the thing that's been thought through the hardest already. It's also been serving as the foundation of knowledge, so changing those things has chain effects on other understandings and learnings. So what should we expect, but that it will take substantial persuasion to shift a thoughtful person from his foundational understandings to new ones?

And should we whine when we find that task daunting?

But Henry has already, with circumspection and careful consideration, shifted his foundations somewhat, and been frank enough to say so. I would say the guy's in good order. What's your problem?
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:56 pm
Ray, when someone asks you if you’re a god, you say yes!!
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

'Ray'??

More irony--that kristianity actually makes people less compassionate, less empathetic, more judgemental, more sociopathic, less 'moral', more hypocritical, more self-righteous....while claiming to do the exact opposite :lol:
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

How dare you! :D
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

iambiguous wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:28 pm Thanks for the input but, nope, that's not really what I was hoping for. I mean the really "big stuff" -- main beliefs -- like abortion or guns or the role of government or sexual preference or God and religion or conscription or "just wars".

I can only get that from him. But, instead, he sends me to you.

Go figure, right?
Well I see that gun control thread and it sure looks like it got out of control somewhere back there. This same thread has now resulted in each of you starting a call out thread with his being about some sort of atheistical misgivings of yours, no? I'm sort of tempted to put on a judge's wig (sorry, British) and issue you two a divorce decree.

One thing I would point out is that I don't think you are very efficiently targetting your mark. I'm seeing stuff aimed at the general public more than it is aimed at Henry Quirk. Henry has a very sharply defined and intentionally extremely minimalist universal moral code. If you get under the hood of it, you will note that some significant aspects of what you normally expect in such a code have been jettisoned to save weight. There is plenty of scope to compare those absences with Henry's desires for what his moral code can do and prompting a rethink.

I can suggest a line of enquiry that I would use for a starter there. Henry doesn't allow for interference with another man's property until after that man has committed a criminal act with it, this is completely in accord with his maxim that no man should without due cause interfere with another's property and due cause only arises in cases where that other guy has interfered with property. He doesn't like it much when I describe his ideal justice system as vengeance based, but as you see it doesn't permit for any form of preventative action.

So I would suggest something over the top and amusing for me, because that's how I always do these things. For this one, I propose to launch the Mr Biggie Local Nuclear Power Co (obviously rename that to have a rude word for an acronym). They should have a motto: "shielding is for pussies" and they should just buy an appartment in an expensive neighborhood. Then just start assembling a terrifyingly unsafe nuclear reactor in the middle of town. Finally, you sell subscriptions to your power company to all the people in the town, and in return you promise not to fuel and power up your incredibly dangerous nuclear power plant.

For most of us, you have comitted a very blatant criminal extortion scheme. But for Henry, it would be somewhat more difficult. The next move depends on his choice there. But ultimately the dilemma it ends in is allowing you, or Isis/AlQaida to blow up his town, or else permitting the infringement of property rights in advance of the misuse.

You should be able to get him to concede that some people ought to be prevented from purchasing some weaponry.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:56 pm
iambiguous wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:15 pm I maintain that, like me and you, henry lived a particular life and, given his own personal experiences, he came to acquire one set of moral and political and spiritual prejudices regarding the "big stuff" rather than another.
Amazing! You were around, watching me and Henry all our lives? And we never saw you! Yet you claim to know our entire histories...both of us.

Again, I can only come back to this: Unbelievable!!!

My argument has nothing to do with claiming to grasp the lives of anyone here in particular. Only that it seems reasonable to me that the moral and political and spiritual claims of the individual objectivists among us are profoundly embedded existentially in the particular lives that they lived.

Thus Mannie here lived a life that brought him into contact with Christianity. Perhaps he was indoctrinated as a child to believe in the Christian God. Perhaps he had a personal experience as an adult that brought Christianity into his life.

Let him note this for us. What are the existential variables rooted in his actual lived life that brough Christianity to him?

And what if, for any number of reasons, those experiences had been different? What of those who are indoctrinated as children to believe in Allah or Buddha or the Hindu Gods or No God? What of those who as adults have personal experiences that bring them into contact with any of the hundreds of other One True Paths to immortality and salvation?

What could possibly be clearer? With objective morality and immortality and salvation at stake, why his God and not yours?

Well, that's when he sends you here: https://youtu.be/hHXXacBAm2A

Proof that the Christian God resides in Heaven!! :lol:
And, thus, given new experiences, he might come to change his mind about the "big stuff" again.
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:56 pmThis is a trivial thought.

It amounts to, "People can learn stuff." Wow. :lol:
Come on, if henry admits that he was wrong about the "big stuff" in the past, how did that come about other than through encountering a new experience, a new relationship or access to new information and knowledge? And if it happened before can it or can it not happen again in the future?

I'm just waiting for henry to note the "big stuff" that he did change his mind about. And the reasons that he did.

And people learn stuff alright. For example, my own new war experiences taught me that the Christian God almost certainly does not exist. Well, until someone is able to demonstrate to me that He does.

The fact that we learn things still requires a context in which to explore the extent to which what we learned is able to be demonstrated as in fact true.
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:56 pm I don't know what you might have thought was the case, otherwise: that we pop into existence with all our "big ideas" fully formed, and then afterward never process anything?
Quite the contrary. We are "thrown" into existence adventitiously. It could be any number of historical or cultural or experiential contexts. We could be brainwashed as children to believe in any number of conflicting "realties". And, given the manner in which human interactions are entangled in a sea of profoundly complex and problematic interactions -- https://youtu.be/6Zp7dq6b2PI -- we only have so much control over where life can take us.
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:56 pm But learning has another aspect: it's only really "learning" if your views are, at least in some way, getting better, more accurate to reality, more truthful, more perceptive. If they're otherwise, you're "unlearning," or "being propagandized," or "being deceived or misled."

So what's the big surprise if somebody gets smarter as he gets older, and changes his views? :shock:
Right, and how many folks on the hundreds and hundreds of One True Paths entirely at odds with his aren't there to remind him of exactly the same thing? Just round it off to the nearest all of them.

Oh, and no surprise at all if, by getting "smarter", he means henry has to come around to accepting Jesus Christ as his personal savior...or risk having his Soul damned to Hell for all of eternity.

On the other hand, ask henry if, instead, in getting smarter that doesn't mean Mannie coming around to whatever the hell he thinks our fate is on the other side of the grave for all of eternity.

One thing for sure though...

No matter what existential forces are out there nudging or shoving folks in whatever direction, others damn well better come around to how the two of them think about guns and abortions or they are only getting dumber.
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:56 pm Of course, the opposite can happen, too: people can willfully choose a path of ideological devotion that prevents further learning, as when one becomes a Communist or a cultist, for example. But what should be happening, in a healthy mind, is that learning continually sharpens understanding to a sharper and sharper point. The 25 year old Biggie should be existentially smarter than the 10 year old one. And the 50 year old Biggie ought to have more refined views than either of them.
Ever and always culminating in all the Biggies coming around to the Christian God. A God that he will never allow himself to admit is but a historical, cultural and experiential contraption rooted existentially in the life he lived.

Whether one was indoctrinated as a child or came to indoctrinate oneself experientially, the whole point of nestling down into one or another God or No God objectivist font is precisely to convince oneself that life has a teleologically meaning and purpose.

And how comforting and consoling to know that it is yours and only yours.
Last edited by iambiguous on Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

iambiguous wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:48 pm Let him note this for us. What are the existential variables rooted in his actual lived life that brough Christianity to him?
I'll tell you all...

As soon as you give me your definition of "dasein."
...my own new war experiences taught me that the Christian God almost certainly does not exist.
Really? How?
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:56 pm Of course, the opposite can happen, too: people can willfully choose a path of ideological devotion that prevents further learning, as when one becomes a Communist or a cultist, for example. But what should be happening, in a healthy mind, is that learning continually sharpens understanding to a sharper and sharper point. The 25 year old Biggie should be existentially smarter than the 10 year old one. And the 50 year old Biggie ought to have more refined views than either of them.
Ever and always culminating in all the Biggies coming around to the Christian God.
You won't find I said that. You read it in, of course. All I said is that people with views worth having should ordinarily be refining theirs, rather than pitching them over in total every time a new idea strikes them. If somebody gives up his worldview too fast, on too little incentive, it tells you he never had a worldview worth having in the first place.

So your assumption is gratutious, and is your own. However, it makes me wonder what your conscience is telling you about that.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:28 am
iambiguous wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:28 pm Thanks for the input but, nope, that's not really what I was hoping for. I mean the really "big stuff" -- main beliefs -- like abortion or guns or the role of government or sexual preference or God and religion or conscription or "just wars".

I can only get that from him. But, instead, he sends me to you.

Go figure, right?
Well I see that gun control thread and it sure looks like it got out of control somewhere back there. This same thread has now resulted in each of you starting a call out thread with his being about some sort of atheistical misgivings of yours, no? I'm sort of tempted to put on a judge's wig (sorry, British) and issue you two a divorce decree.
Well, I've basically reduced him down to these ridiculous posts in which he "wiggles" out of responding to most of my substantive points and in regard to the ones he does "respond" to, he takes "snippets" from them, then "responding" with 3 or 4 word retorts.

You know, if I do say so myself.
FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:28 amOne thing I would point out is that I don't think you are very efficiently targetting your mark. I'm seeing stuff aimed at the general public more than it is aimed at Henry Quirk. Henry has a very sharply defined and intentionally extremely minimalist universal moral code. If you get under the hood of it, you will note that some significant aspects of what you normally expect in such a code have been jettisoned to save weight. There is plenty of scope to compare those absences with Henry's desires for what his moral code can do and prompting a rethink.
There's no "efficient" way in which to target the particularly hardcore moral and political objectivists. The whole point of believing as fiercely as they do is that believing things fiercely in and of itself is the whole point. They get to be "one of us" [the good guys] and are able to anchor their precious Self in one or another arrogant, authoritarian dogma. Only henry insists that he apparently doesn't believe as fiercely about the "big stuff" as i imagined. Otherwise, how could he manage to change his mind about them? I'm just trying to get a sense of what he means by that. What big issues? And how did he come to change his mind?
FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:28 amI can suggest a line of enquiry that I would use for a starter there. Henry doesn't allow for interference with another man's property until after that man has committed a criminal act with it, this is completely in accord with his maxim that no man should without due cause interfere with another's property and due cause only arises in cases where that other guy has interfered with property. He doesn't like it much when I describe his ideal justice system as vengeance based, but as you see it doesn't permit for any form of preventative action.
Again, out in the real world, awash in countless complex and convoluted contexts understood differently by different people, there are always going to be conflicting interpretations of what "due cause" and "interfering with one's property" means.

Look at abortion. Here the "property" in question is either the woman's own body or the unborn. Where does one end and the other begin? Same with those who love their guns and those that fear them.
FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:28 amSo I would suggest something over the top and amusing for me, because that's how I always do these things. For this one, I propose to launch the Mr Biggie Local Nuclear Power Co (obviously rename that to have a rude word for an acronym). They should have a motto: "shielding is for pussies" and they should just buy an appartment in an expensive neighborhood. Then just start assembling a terrifyingly unsafe nuclear reactor in the middle of town. Finally, you sell subscriptions to your power company to all the people in the town, and in return you promise not to fuel and power up your incredibly dangerous nuclear power plant.

For most of us, you have comitted a very blatant criminal extortion scheme. But for Henry, it would be somewhat more difficult. The next move depends on his choice there. But ultimately the dilemma it ends in is allowing you, or Isis/AlQaida to blow up his town, or else permitting the infringement of property rights in advance of the misuse.
Still, more to the point [mine] the nuclear power plant issue is just another classic example of where individuals, living very different lives, come to embody conflicting political prejudices. And where both sides in the political wars are able to offer reasonable points of view. Just starting from different sets of assumptions.

And then of course the part where political economy comes into play. Adam Smith, Karl Marx and all that "show me the money" crony capitalist stuff

Just Google this: https://www.google.com/search?q=nuclear ... nt=gws-wiz
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:03 pm
iambiguous wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:48 pm My argument has nothing to do with claiming to grasp the lives of anyone here in particular. Only that it seems reasonable to me that the moral and political and spiritual claims of the individual objectivists among us are profoundly embedded existentially in the particular lives that they lived.

Thus Mannie here lived a life that brought him into contact with Christianity. Perhaps he was indoctrinated as a child to believe in the Christian God. Perhaps he had a personal experience as an adult that brought Christianity into his life.

Let him note this for us. What are the existential variables rooted in his actual lived life that brough Christianity to him?

And what if, for any number of reasons, those experiences had been different? What of those who are indoctrinated as children to believe in Allah or Buddha or the Hindu Gods or No God? What of those who as adults have personal experiences that bring them into contact with any of the hundreds of other One True Paths to immortality and salvation?

What could possibly be clearer? With objective morality and immortality and salvation at stake, why his God and not yours?

I'll tell you all...

Exactly the sort of thing I get from henry! A snippet!!

And those who have followed my exchanges with Mannie know full well I have responded to his quest for a definition here. Words like dasein pertaining to conflicting value judgments can only be fully understood given particular contexts. What the word comes to mean to us in regard to things like guns and abortions and Christianity given how we react to these issues existentially.
Come on, if henry admits that he was wrong about the "big stuff" in the past, how did that come about other than through encountering a new experience, a new relationship or access to new information and knowledge? And if it happened before can it or can it not happen again in the future?

I'm just waiting for henry to note the "big stuff" that he did change his mind about. And the reasons that he did.

And people learn stuff alright. For example, my own new war experiences taught me that the Christian God almost certainly does not exist. Well, until someone is able to demonstrate to me that He does.

The fact that we learn things still requires a context in which to explore the extent to which what we learned is able to be demonstrated as in fact true.
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:03 pmReally? How?
Again, back to the context of the Christian God residing in Heaven and your own ridiculous videos "demonstratrion".

That you actually believe that one can be "smarter" about the existence of the Christian God by watching those videos speaks volumes!

As for these points...
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:56 pm I don't know what you might have thought was the case, otherwise: that we pop into existence with all our "big ideas" fully formed, and then afterward never process anything?
Quite the contrary. We are "thrown" into existence adventitiously. It could be any number of historical or cultural or experiential contexts. We could be brainwashed as children to believe in any number of conflicting "realties". And, given the manner in which human interactions are entangled in a sea of profoundly complex and problematic interactions -- https://youtu.be/6Zp7dq6b2PI -- we only have so much control over where life can take us.
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:56 pm But learning has another aspect: it's only really "learning" if your views are, at least in some way, getting better, more accurate to reality, more truthful, more perceptive. If they're otherwise, you're "unlearning," or "being propagandized," or "being deceived or misled."

Right, and how many folks on the hundreds and hundreds of One True Paths entirely at odds with his aren't there to remind him of exactly the same thing? Just round it off to the nearest all of them.

Oh, and no surprise at all if, by getting "smarter", he means henry has to come around to accepting Jesus Christ as his personal savior...or risk having his Soul damned to Hell for all of eternity.

On the other hand, ask henry if, instead, in getting smarter that doesn't mean Mannie coming around to whatever the hell he thinks our fate is on the other side of the grave for all of eternity.

No matter what existential forces are out though nudging or shoving folks in whatever direction, others damn well better come around to how the two of them think about guns and abortions or they are only getting dumber.
...he just skips them.
Ever and always culminating in all the Biggies coming around to the Christian God. A God that he will never allow himself to admit is but a historical, cultural and experiential contraption rooted existentially in the life he lived.

Whether one was indoctrinated as a child or came to indoctrinate oneself experientially, the whole point of nestling down into one or another God or No God objectivist font is precisely to convince oneself that life has a teleologically meaning and purpose.

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:03 pmYou won't find I said that. You read it in, of course. All I said is that people with views worth having should ordinarily be refining theirs, rather than pitching them over in total every time a new idea strikes them. If somebody gives up his worldview too fast, on too little incentive, it tells you he never had a worldview worth having in the first place.
Right, people with views worth having, like those who embrace the right of abortion or those who want guns to be illegal for private citizens or those who espouse Islam or Hinduism or one of many other One True Paths to immortality and salvation. The dumber people.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:37 pm 'Ray'??
I was quoting Ghostbusters: there’s a scene where the character Ray is asked if he’s a god and he says no, so the characters get zapped. One of the other characters says “Ray, if someone asks you if you’re a god, you say yes!!”
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

iambiguous wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:15 pm ...those who have followed my exchanges with Mannie know full well I have responded to his quest for a definition here....
What a sham! :lol:

You've never done so. I do hope everybody can see that, too. Let them check. :lol:

Or better still, show them WHERE you did it. Just once. Anywhere.

Lovely! :D
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Over and over again:

ME:
iambiguous wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:15 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:03 pm
iambiguous wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:48 pm My argument has nothing to do with claiming to grasp the lives of anyone here in particular. Only that it seems reasonable to me that the moral and political and spiritual claims of the individual objectivists among us are profoundly embedded existentially in the particular lives that they lived.

I'll tell you all...

Exactly the sort of thing I get from henry! A snippet!!

And those who have followed my exchanges with Mannie know full well I have responded to his quest for a definition here. Words like dasein pertaining to conflicting value judgments can only be fully understood given particular contexts. What the word comes to mean to us in regard to things like guns and abortions and Christianity given how we react to these issues existentially.

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:03 pmReally? How?
Again, back to the context of the Christian God residing in Heaven and your own ridiculous videos "demonstratrion".

That you actually believe that one can be "smarter" about the existence of the Christian God by watching those videos speaks volumes!

As for these points...

No matter what existential forces are out though nudging or shoving folks in whatever direction, others damn well better come around to how the two of them think about guns and abortions or they are only getting dumber.
...he just skips them.

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:03 pmYou won't find I said that. You read it in, of course. All I said is that people with views worth having should ordinarily be refining theirs, rather than pitching them over in total every time a new idea strikes them. If somebody gives up his worldview too fast, on too little incentive, it tells you he never had a worldview worth having in the first place.
Right, people with views worth having, like those who embrace the right of abortion or those who want guns to be illegal for private citizens or those who espouse Islam or Hinduism or one of many other One True Paths to immortality and salvation. The dumber people.
HIM:
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:03 pmI'll tell you all...

iambiguous wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:15 pm ...And those who have followed my exchanges with Mannie know full well I have responded to his quest for a definition here. Words like dasein pertaining to conflicting value judgments can only be fully understood given particular contexts. What the word comes to mean to us in regard to things like guns and abortions and Christianity given how we react to these issues existentially.....
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:03 pmWhat a sham! :lol:

You've never done so. I do hope everybody can see that, too. Let them check. :lol:

I never have because I don't believe that "I" in the is/ought world can be reduced down to a definition.

It would be like going to the dictionary and looking up words like "freedom" and "justice". Then in regard to issues like abortion and guns arguing that philosophers can pin down which sides in these moral and political conflagrations most clearly reflects the dictionary definition.

Note to others:

As I noted on another thread in regard to henry [Mannie's buddy here]: Go ahead, take him seriously if you must.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

iambiguous wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:14 pm iambiguous wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:15 pm
...those who have followed my exchanges with Mannie know full well I have responded to his quest for a definition here....
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:03 pmWhat a sham! :lol:

I never have...
Right.

So you lied. You've never actually "responded" at all. What you've done is refused...and it's transparent why you have.

You don't know what you mean by "dasein." 8)

You think it's not what Heidegger, or Jaspers, or Hegel, or Tarasti, or Lacan, or Schutz, et al meant, you say; I found but you have not the foggiest idea what you mean when you use it yourself. You even try to get us to believe...
I don't believe that "I" in the is/ought world can be reduced down to a definition.
And yet, everybody who ever used it before thinks it can. :D

But then, maybe they knew what they were talking about.

You clearly don't. If you did, you'd have no problem saying what you meant.

What you're doing, instead, is pulling up your own nonsense word, and using it to excuse every lapse of clear thought you have. And you want to sell us on the idea that that makes you more profound than Heidegger, or Hegel, or Jaspers, or any other actual philosopher...all of whom had definitions you can't figure out for yourself.

Seriously, dude...you've just got to be kidding. :lol:
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

iambiguous wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:14 pmI never have because I don't believe that "I" in the is/ought world can be reduced down to a definition.

It would be like going to the dictionary and looking up words like "freedom" and "justice". Then in regard to issues like abortion and guns arguing that philosophers can pin down which sides in these moral and political conflagrations most clearly reflects the dictionary definition.
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:46 pmSo you lied. You've never actually "responded" at all. What you've done is refused...and it's transparent why you have.

You don't know what you mean by "dasein." 8)
Note to others:

Do you think that perhaps Mannie might actually have a, uh, mental "condition"? He seems clearly not able to follow the reality of our exchange.
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:46 pmYou think it's not what Heidegger, or Jaspers, or Hegel, or Tarasti, or Lacan, or Schutz, et al meant, you say; I found but you have not the foggiest idea what you mean when you use it yourself. You even try to get us to believe...
I don't believe that "I" in the is/ought world can be reduced down to a definition.
And yet, everybody who ever used it before thinks it can. :D
My interest is not in what others define Dasein/dasein to be, but in how they integrate that definition into sets of circumstances revolving around such things as abortion and guns.

For example, give us your defintion of "freedom" and "justice". Then take these definitions down out of the didactic/pedantic/spiritual clouds and integrate them into a specific context involving the moral and political conflagrations that revolve around things like abortion or guns.
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:46 pmWhat you're doing, instead, is pulling up your own nonsense word, and using it to excuse every lapse of clear thought you have. And you want to sell us on the idea that that makes you more profound than Heidegger, or Hegel, or Jaspers, or any other actual philosopher...all of whom had definitions you can't figure out for yourself.
Note to others:

Anyone here know what the hell he is talking about in regard to the points I raise about dasein in the threads here:

https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 1&t=176529
https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 1&t=194382
https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 5&t=185296

Mannie won't go there himself.

Also, for those here who consider themselves able to understand in depth the thinking of Heidegger, or Hegel, or Jaspers [in regard to Dasein/dasein], note a context that interests you and we can explore how their take on "I" in the is/ought world is different from mine.

Mannie, why don't you start us out here.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

iambiguous wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:17 pm My interest is not in what others define Dasein/dasein to be,
No. You. What do YOU mean when you say it?

That's all you're being asked.

Anybody else who used the world can do it. But you can't?