For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: IS and OUGHT

Post by Sculptor »

Belinda wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:17 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:50 pm
Belinda wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:18 pm
Probably the opinion of a man who has been bitten.
Don't get me wrong but I'd prefer a tickle to a fickle.
It's the shock of the new that stimulates us to learn than we did before fortune tickled our inventiveness.
Yes, and what I have learned is that all this is completely backwards. Shit happens first then afterwards we ascribe the shit to bad luck or bad fortune. Fortune and luck are not drivers, they are afterthoughts.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Age wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:22 amDo you have a 'moral obligation' to do anything?
Seems to me I have a moral obligation to recognize other folks have the same natural right to their individual lives, liberties, and properties as I have to mine, and, it seems to me I ought not monkey around with the lives, liberties, and properties of other folks when I have no just cause to.

age, if you respond with a lengthy, aneurysm-causin', basilisk hack, post: I won't respond ('cept to say bye)...keep it short & sane
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:55 am
henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:28 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:24 pmin general it's very good that we tend to cooperate and share.
As I say: Compassion, or strategy, might lead you to share (to choose to share), but you have no (moral) obligation to.
Yeah, yeah. I don't really think in terms of moral obligations. Compassion, sure, empathy, sure, well wishing sure, urges to protect some people, sure, etc.
So?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:05 pm So?
So, I don't think anyone has a moral obligation to share or collaborate.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:52 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:55 am
henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:28 am

As I say: Compassion, or strategy, might lead you to share (to choose to share), but you have no (moral) obligation to.
Yeah, yeah. I don't really think in terms of moral obligations. Compassion, sure, empathy, sure, well wishing sure, urges to protect some people, sure, etc.
In your own interest you have a practical obligation to share. If nobody shared anything everybody would suffer.
No, you don't. As I say: compassion (oh them poor sufferin' people!) can lead you to share, and, strategy (if I feed 'em today they'll be less likely to steal from me tomorrow [this is bad strategy, by the way]) can lead you to share, but there's no obligation to share.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:10 pm
So we agree?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

And that is why America shall eventually fall.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:19 pm
It fell already, and it wasn't becuz folks wouldn't share.

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:03 pm
Age wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:22 amDo you have a 'moral obligation' to do anything?
Seems to me I have a moral obligation to recognize other folks have the same natural right to their individual lives, liberties, and properties as I have to mine, and, it seems to me I ought not monkey around with the lives, liberties, and properties of other folks when I have no just cause to.

age, if you respond with a lengthy, aneurysm-causin', basilisk hack, post: I won't respond ('cept to say bye)...keep it short & sane
Yet you have taken and are still taking other people's property, other people's lives, and other people's liberties from them, while all the time remaining in complete denial of this Fact.

Just 'recognizing' that other people have the exact same natural right as you do, is not really a 'moral obligation' at all. And, considering that you are doing the exact opposite of that natural right, just 'recognizing' them is falling very short of any real 'moral obligation'. In fact it could be argued that after 'recognizing' what is 'morally right', and then doing the exact opposite, is far worse than not even recognizing and being aware of of what is 'morally right' to begin with.

Also, any so-called 'moral obligation' is certainly NOT limited to just 'you', human beings, either.

"henry quirk", if you respond in anyway other than a Truly OPEN and Honest way, then this will just show who 'you' really are. Keep your answers short, and to the point.

If I say absolutely ANY thing that appears not 'sane' or 'aneurysm causing', to you, then this might just be a reflection of 'you', "yourself". If some thing is not 'sane' to you, have you ever considered just asking for clarification, next?

Why do you not write all words with all of the letters used for them, and finish with an apostrophe instead? It is not like it is easier, simpler, nor quicker.

What does 'basilick hack' mean, or refer to, to you, exactly?

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:22 pm
Why did "america" already so-call fall then?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:15 pm
So we agree?
I'm not a moral realist, so yeah. It's not the specific case.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Yet you have taken and are still taking other people's property, other people's lives, and other people's liberties from them, while all the time remaining in complete denial of this Fact.
Can you back that up, age? Please, if you can provide evidence that I've taken another's life, liberty, or property unjustly then put it on the table for everyone to see.

A basilisk hack is a science fiction concept. It refers to particular combinations of images (and/or sounds) that can hack a man's brain and have deleterious effects.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Age wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:29 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:22 pm

Why did "america" already so-call fall then?
It fell, or began to fall, when the Articles of confederation were abandoned and the Constitution was adopted.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Duh. Predictable idiocy. If you read other posts of mine you'd know that I think it's a bad strategy and compared people who don't collaborate and share with komodo dragons (on that issue) and pointed out that we are far more dangerous to komodo dragons that they are to us. I also pointed out in another post that I have motivations, other than some rule from above, to collaborate and share (and these traits are in the majority). So, your curmudgeon sniping and hysteria is misplaced.

And it seems you're one of those people who needs some authority and some contractual obligation to collaborate and share. Perhaps you lack compassion and social mammal urges to get along with people and work together and care about each other so you think, for some reason, a whole country will fall (despite it being filled with moral realists like you).

I'm not a moral realist but I collaborate and share all the time, because it's part of my nature. Have the people in your country lost those tendencies?

I wonder which country it is. England? Yeah, there's a country that's doing well, no fundamental splits nor a damaged economy. Not mimicking it's cousin across the pond like it's little brother, while still trying to act superior. Canada, Australia, New Zealand? Yeah, they're doing real well. And if this makes you think a good response would be: the US is really fucked up right now because X; Y and Z. That would be missing the point. I agree, the US is a mess right now. And the exact same psychopaths are running your country, whichever one it is. And those psychopaths are pitting moral realists against each other, and very effectively.

10 years of your sour little mind taking pot shots. And we're supposed to believe you're out there collaborating and sharing. There's no sign of it here.
Last edited by Iwannaplato on Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:40 pm
Can you back that up, age?
Yes.
henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:40 pm Please, if you can provide evidence that I've taken another's life, liberty, or property unjustly then put it on the table for everyone to see.

The land you put that house on, which you claim is 'yours', is NOT 'yours', although you BELIEVE with absolutely EVERY thing you have, that it is 'yours', right?

That parcel of land was TAKEN from "others", and you will NOT give it back, right?

That parcel of land is for EVERY one, and NOT for just some of 'you', who just happen to be existing some human bodies at a particular moment.

What you claim is 'your' child, does not have liberty because you BELIEVE it is 'yours', it HAS TO DO what you tell it to do, and it can NOT do what you tell it it can NOT do, correct?

If ANY you do NOT want ANY one trespassing on what you call and CLAIM is 'your' land, then you WILL hold them captive, until they are dealt with, or just SHOOT them DEAD, right?

If yes, then this means that you will take their liberty and/or their life.

You have ALREADY taken the 'liberties' of those, like that one, which you call and claim is 'your' child.

And, you have ALREADY taken the 'lives' of "others" who you do NOT share with, who have ended up DYING and DEAD, from starvation, because of 'you', "henry quirk".

Also, there is NO 'unjustly' way of doing things to "others", if you have NO 'moral obligation' to do, or not do, any thing to, nor with, "others".

If you have NO 'moral obligation' to share what you call and CLAIM is 'yours', then there is NO 'unjust' way of sharing, what has ALREADY been TAKEN.

henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:40 pm
A basilisk hack is a science fiction concept. It refers to particular combinations of images (and/or sounds) that can hack a man's brain and have deleterious effects.
Do I really have this much power over 'you', adult human beings, just from putting a few simple words in front of you?

Also, why will you just not answer all of the questions I pose to you for clarification?

Why do you only pick some of them to answer, and do not answer all of them?