IS and OUGHT

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

FlashDangerpants

Re: IS and OUGHT

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Astro Cat wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:23 am You will get the best results if you assume that this is my position.
Hello Cat lady, it seems I need your assistance. Mr IC is quite insistent that he has supplied an argument to explain why it must be the case that if morality is not fixed, universal, eternal and objective, then the only alternative is randomly segmented meaninglessness. Apparently he he has hidden this argument somewhere in his correspondence with your good self.

I would be intrigued to know what this argument is, but I only see him using the word abitrary for (ironically) no good reason, and generally assuming stuff not actually arguing for it.

Given that the argument he promises would be the most important to be levelled in the present century if valid and sound, I would like to read it. Are you able to point me at the actual words? Mannie seems unwilling to do so.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"it must be the case that if morality is not fixed, universal, eternal and objective, then the only alternative is randomly segmented meaninglessness."

couple things if i may. even if morality was all these things, that wouldn't make it more 'meaningful'.

suppose a 'god' did exist and wuz the grounding and foundation for the rules of proper conduct, goodness and objective morality. what makes this any more meaningful than the contrary? or better yet i should put it this way; what makes the contrary any less meaningful?

well it depends on what you mean by 'meaningful'. if IC means something like 'doing what 'god' wants' (via biblical instruction), then there's a big problem. the ten commandments are woefully inadequate to effectively address all the problems and conflicts that exist in the world. This a no-brainer. Consider how useless anything in the bible has been for finding guidance or advice for all the economic, military and disease epidemic conflicts/situations we've experienced for the last three or so years.

Good luck guessing what 'god' would want you yo do in any number of situations.

also as a side consider; how many atrocities might have been commited because some criminal believed that since such behavior wasn't condemned in the bible, it wasn't against 'god's' law, and therefore he could do it. your boy david Koresh and his enclave of minor female sex partners, for example. This is what happens when you ground morality in some ancient creation myth.

anyway so not only is it no more 'meaningful' if 'god' exists, has set the moral truths, and you follow those rules than it is if none of this is true... but also despite what any christian believes, the stone-age moral instructions provided in the bible aren't only as primitive as any other general set of moral codes of behavior practiced by any other religion, but they are also nearly worthless for any complex problem solving in (especially) the modern world.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:29 pm
Loved this post, just letting you know I have plans all weekend, so I’ll get back to you in a few days.

You too @FlashDangerPants
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:56 pm And what, exactly, are the views of the other 96% regarding the role God plays in the world that they have everyday experience of?
All of them say they believe in some conception of a God or gods.
What are their views on what informs their morality?

That would depend on what they believe about the above.

Here's how I think it works: people carry around in their heads some conception of what is real or true that usually, they sort of take for granted. A few of the more cerebral types, perhaps like you, spend time actually thinking about what this "worldview" consists of, and why they have it in the particular assemblage they happen to have it. Most don't. Like a pair of eyeglasses, they "see the world through it," rather than "looking at it."

But this basic worldview, this way of imaginging things, makes them attentive to certain things and makes them likely to be more oblivious toward others. At the same time, they tend to think that the way they see things is "reality"; and they tend to marvel at anyone who claims not to see things the same way they do. Such people look to them to be "fighting reality," the "reality" that looks obvious to them. And who would do that except somebody who is a bit of a loon?
How many physics text books, biology text books, any scientific text books, explain, or even allow for, God's role in the world?
Is that a reasonable expectation?

Would you expect God to make Himself subject to our poking and prodding, and become a lab rat on demand, a mere subject for idle human speculation or casual investigation by anybody who wants to, using nothing more than the tools of physical science?

And if He did, would you think He was God? Or would you expect Him to be bigger than that? Would you expect Him, in fact, to be transcendent of all that?
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:06 pm It's different for different people, I suppose. But we should ask why, no matter the audience, we even DO feel this thing called "shame." After all, if the empirical facts are that no moral standards are objective, are we just responding to our mal-conditioning inherited from our society? Should we just "get over" our feelings of shame, since they are mere social constructs, and now seem to plague us and make us unhappier than we would like?
Moral imperatives are subjective, but they can feel very objective. I firmly believe that they are subjective, yet my response to them is as if they were objective.
That's interesting, isn't it?
If it were not so, it probably wouldn't work, would it?
I suppose not.

You raise a good point: a moral indictment that we know to be subjective would hardly p**** our consciences at all, I should think. You're right: we have to believe they are objective, in order for them to have any particular weight with us at all.

But doesn't that make you wonder why that should be so? I mean, if morality really IS just subjective, then why is it that we should have to imagine it being objective for it to work as morality? That paradox certainly could stand some unpacking.
The fact that morals are social constructs does not, as it turns out, make them any less compelling.
Oh, for me, it would.

If you told me, for example, that not doing something I wanted to do, and that I personally did not find any reason to believe was objectively immoral, and all prohibitions were merely products of my present society's social constructing, I would be inclined to do one of two things: one would be to do it anyway, but keep it "off the radar" of my society, and the other would be to move to a locale where the behaviour was more approved.

And why shouldn't I do one or the other? For nothing says I owe my society to follow it's peculiar tastes in constructions of morality...they're no stronger than my next door neighbour's opinion. They're certainly considerably less than objective...and as you say, we seem to need to feel the objectivity of morality for it to produce its effects on us.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:06 pm What I am, is a sinner whom God has saved. That doesn't mean I'm perfect. It just means I've realized that fact, and made the first steps to trying to do something about it. That doesn't make me better than anyone...arguably, worse, maybe. But it means that, by God's grace, I am heading in the right direction, no matter how far from the finishing point I started.
I am also a sinner, but I don't have a God to save me.
Then how can you be a sinner?

For absent any objective moral prohibition or prescription, one cannot really sin. There is no party that has any right to be offended, and your own conscience has no warrant in being twinged.
I don't even know what you mean by "saved".

I mean that sin separates us from God. We lose our ability to relate to Him properly, and to be fit for His company, because God does not tolerate sin. So something must be done about my guilt before I can be hopeful of any prospect of relationship to God.

And since, as it seems, I am a victim of my own nature, and far too prone to sin, I need to be forgiven for what I have done. But more than that, I also need to be enabled to change, and to start being a better person. But even so, I'm never going to be quite good enough to merit God's forgiveness, so I'm going to need more; I'm going to need a permanent solution to my guilt, but I'm incapable of producing it myself.

That's why I need help. And that's what "saved" means. It means I gave up on myself and my own efforts, and asked for the help only God could give me, to forgive me first and wipe my account; and then to start working with me to change me, and gradually to make me what I could never be on my own.

It means that what I could not do, God did. And I accepted that for myself, because He offered it in Jesus Christ. And so, I was saved from what I was by HIm, not by myself.
How can you be saved from something that has already happened?
I would think that it would be rather obvious to a guilty-feeling person. The past is a torment to us when we've mishandled it. It's a ball-and-chain we drag through life. It's from what has happened that we need to be saved most.
I have to live with the knowledge of the things I have done wrong for the rest of my life, there is no getting out of it. I could try to rationalise them in such a way as to enable me to convince myself of some sort of justification for my actions, but that wouldn't work for me, although many people do seem to successfully do that.

That's a courageous admission. I think you're right. And I feel the same.

The other solution is this: to admit that the things we've done wrong are just as bad as we feel them to be...and usually, that they are worse than that even, worse than we can feel. And feeling the truth of that, to plead with God for His remedy, since honesty forces us to despair of our own power to fix things.
Anyway, the sheer unpleasantness of the feelings brought about by my past wrongs is a very strong motivation in deterring me from repeating them.
That's probably a great side-effect, and a good thing. But it seems to me you're also saying that's not enough. You still feel the pangs of the past, and know that you have to do something not just about the future, but about what's already been done.

But that's what makes us so helpless in the face of our own sin: who can pick up water, once the water has been spilled on the ground? Who can find a way to wind back the tape and erase the cruel words we said, or the vile actions in which we once participated -- things of which we are now rightly ashamed? And who can "make it up" to the victims of our callousness and selfishness, when time keeps marching on?

We just don't have the power to fix those things. But neither can we live with them. What can we do, then, but turn to God and say, "God, be merciful to me, the sinner," just as the man Christ spoke about in the Temple did? (Luke 18:13-14)
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:06 pm And yes, you can come up with moral directives. Anybody can. But ours are arbitrary, except to the extent they conform to the facts of God's character. God's moral directives are never arbitrary. They're always grounded in who He is.
I don't see any principal difference between my moral directives and those of God...
You don't?

I do. I'd find his binding. I don't think you'd find mine binding.
You say that God's moral directives are not arbitrary, but that is merely an assumption on your part.
Not an assumption, so much as a believing of what the Bible says about it.
You see, this is where you have the advantage. Whereas I have to justify and explain how I arrive at my conclusions, you are simply able to say, "well, God makes it so".
I don't think I've said that to you, have I?
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:06 pm But "feel" is a tricky thing. We sometimes all "feel" things that are not true. So, I'm not saying that your assessment of guilt is not true; I'm saying we won't know whether or not it's true by referring to nothing more than "feeling."

Feelings need to be justified, in order for us to know what they mean. We need to know why we feel what we feel, and if that's related to reality.

I don't doubt your feeling. I don't even question your guilt, as you say it is there. I just ask, "What do you want to do about that?"
Yes, we do feel things that are not true, and I would venture that you feel that God exists more than you arrive at the conclusion via reason.
I don't think so, but please continue...
In the case of morality, feelings do not need to be justified, they just need to be compelling enough to make us act on them. It is merely biology, but we need to feel that it is a great deal more than that, otherwise it would not be effective. I can't do anything about my guilt other than live with it. I won't construct a fantasy in order to relieve myself of the burden.
No, you're right: a fantasy would be no good. Besides, on some level, you'd always know you made it up, even if you could convince yourself otherwise. And you're right again when you say that you can't "relieve yourself of the burden," by that means or any other. "I forgave myself" has no meaning to the victims or to God, even if it serves as a kind of consolation to some people.

But we're not talking about a fantasy here. We're talking about a real person, a person named Jesus Christ. And we're deciding either to take what He said seriously, or to dismiss Him. And if we're honest men, and don't lie to ourselves, we're deciding whether we are going to a) live miserable and guilty, knowing we've done evils we cannot reverse or atone for, b) try to justify and excuse ourselves, which isn't honest, c) put ourselves into a kind of permanent slavery of trying to "make up for" what we've done by our own efforts, hoping that will turn out to be good enough, or d) call upon God to save us, because we're really lost here.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:06 pm Atheism gives me the premises; I just point to the necessary conclusion from there.
No, you are constructing your own premises relating to atheism.
I'm not, actually. I take Atheism to entail only one premise: that there are no gods, no God. And that's just definitional. However, it of course also entails some kind of Physicalism or Materialism, since it's manifest that we are here and the world is here, so some God-free explanation has to fill that space.

If we take Atheism to entail only those two things, then morality is dead. We need no more to do the job.
And you are treating atheism like a belief system, when, in fact, it is quite the opposite of a belief system.
It's a "disbelief system," you mean? Well, it is that.

But we have a right to ask the Atheist this: "Is your Atheism premised on evidence, or on your wishes?" If he says it's premised on evidence, then we have a right to ask him what evidence that is. If it's not premised on evidence, then we have a right to ask him why he is simply believing his wishes can come true.

So Atheism ends up either being evidentary or speculative. And since I have yet to encounter an evidentiary Atheist (what could ever disprove the existence of the Supreme Being, after all?), I think we have to conclude it's speculative, and wish-based.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:06 pm There are Atheists who follow through the logic of Atheism to its own conclusions.
Atheism is simply an absence of belief in God,
Not quite. That could describe mere agnosticism. In fact, it does.

Rather, Atheism a positive disbelief in God. It's the claim, "There IS no God."
The only brush you can collectively tar atheists with is that of not believing in the existence of God.
Well, the brush is in their hands, and the tar is their own. It's they who make that declaration: I don't invent it for them. But if one is going to disbelieve in God, then one owes us reasons...assuming one is also saying it's irrational for us to believe in God, not merely that it's only wrong for the speaker.

And that is, in fact, what most Atheists seem to want to say. They seem to want to assert, "I don't believe in God, and you shouldn't either." That second part is yet another reason why they owe us sufficient evidence to warrant disbelief in God.

Which, again, they simply don't have.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:39 pm
In this, it's like reality. Because reality does not change, no matter what people believe. When every person on the Earth thought there was no such thing as bacteria, that did not mean bacteria did not exist. All it meant was that a lot of people were wrong.
What is reality is independent of individual[s] beliefs and opinion. Reality which is 'all there is' including humans therein is entangled with humans and humanity.
No knowing what you mean to convey by "entangled," I can say nothing about that.
'Entangled' means all humans are intricately part and parcel of reality [all there is].
If you at time t1 of reality [all there is including you therein] cough openly you would have changed reality [all there is] at t2. Your bacteria and viruses would have spread to spaces they were never at t1.
Those specific CO2 molecules would have travelled throughout the world within say a few days and re Chaos Theory may have contributed to a Typhoon in China.

As such reality will change at the Will of a person who deliberately set out to change it. As such reality cannot exists independent of human conditions for humans are entangled with reality they are part and parcel of.
So if the entire planet decided that murdering children was acceptable, they would still all be wrong about that, because the objective truth of morality would remain that murdering children is evil. And God would still know what the moral truth was, even if every person on the planet lost the idea.
It is not that they are wrong with the above, but rather they have the intuition murdering children is evil which is driven by an inherent moral potential and drive within all humans.
That won't work, as an explanation.
I have an intuition that there's an axe-murderer in my closet. It doesn't make it true. It also doesn't make it a moral issue. And if I have a "drive" to run screaming from my house, then no matter how strong it is, that "drive" doesn't make my action justified.
When someone intuit 'some thing' it does not mean that intuition must be true. By default a intuition can be true or false and proven true only when verified and justified within a specific and credible Framework and System of Knowledge [FSK] or Reality [FSR].

From a general moral FSK [supported by the inherent moral drive], murdering children is evil. Surely you are not denying this?
Thus when someone intuit murdering children is evil, their intuition in this case is driven by his inherent moral drive which he is not aware of.

In your case, intuiting "there's an axe-murderer in my closet" is an empirical issue not a moral issue which can be confirm by any subsequent empirical evidence.
However if you judge 'murder by axe' or any murder of humans is evil, that is your intuition of a moral issue.
Your " "drive" to run screaming from my house" is more a psychological and emotional issue related to an intuition.

Whatever is only 'moral' when verified and justified within a specific and credible Moral Framework and System of Knowledge [FSK] or Reality [FSR].
As for politics, political systems immediately involve morality. Because political systems involve the way we treat other people. So we can't even design a political system without already having in mind some view of what is right or wrong treatment of others. And we can be right or wrong about what we think.

I would suggest that to accord others dignity, rights and respect is right, and to tyrannize or propagandize them is immoral. And that would mean, all the time, and regardless of what society we were in, or what the people there thought. But even if I were wrong about that, God would know the truth. And He would be right, even when I was wrong.
Since morality is about absolutely good and absolutely no evil, politics cannot be conflated nor be associated with morality.
That's not at all true, and nobody thinks it's true, either. Politicians themselves routinely accuse their opposition of behaving immorally or unethically. Politicians are removed from office for corruption or dereliction of duty. Laws are moral edicts framed by the legislature in the presumed interest of justice. Dispensing of funds is a moral concern -- who "deserves" what portion of the public purse is the central question.

You'll never be able to separate the two. Nobody sensible thinks you can. And in practice, you never can.
As stated above;
whatever is only 'moral' [morality proper] when verified and justified within a specific and credible Moral Framework and System of Knowledge [FSK] or Reality [FSR].

Nope, all actions by politicians related to supposedly moral issue are merely based on intuitions and consequences.
That the general political system permit 'evil' [wars, capital punishments, etc.] which are inherent immoral, cannot qualify politics as anything moral, i.e. within the sphere of morality proper.

In contrast, the specific religion of Christianity supposedly Moral Model would be more qualified to be termed 'moral' because it absolutely deter evil [the significant factor of morality] with its pacifist maxim, "love all -even enemies" 'give the other cheek' and the likes.
But because Christianity entailed 'threats of doom & hellfire and invoking terrible fears' to enforce compliance, its so-called morality is at best pseudo-morality.

Morality-proper is driven spontaneously by the inherent moral potential [developing progressively] to avoid evil within each individual without any enforcements nor threat from external factors.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:08 am Whatever is only 'moral' when verified and justified within a specific and credible Moral Framework and System of Knowledge [FSK] or Reality [FSR].

:D Sorry...this is just...goofy. There's no other word for it. There's so much obviously silly about it, I don't even want to get started. Go talk to Hume. Or find out what "legitimation" means.

Meanwhile, nobody's going to believe you. You can be sure of that. However, I'm sure that won't stop you, because from where I sit, you seem totally oblivious to how incoherent all that is. If you had any clue, you'd never have tried to float it by us in the first place.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:15 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:08 am Whatever is only 'moral' when verified and justified within a specific and credible Moral Framework and System of Knowledge [FSK] or Reality [FSR].

:D Sorry...this is just...goofy. There's no other word for it. There's so much obviously silly about it, I don't even want to get started. Go talk to Hume. Or find out what "legitimation" means.

Meanwhile, nobody's going to believe you. You can be sure of that. However, I'm sure that won't stop you, because from where I sit, you seem totally oblivious to how incoherent all that is. If you had any clue, you'd never have tried to float it by us in the first place.
What??

Note,
David Hume ( 26 April 1711 – 25 August 1776) and on this particular issue you want me to reference to outdated knowledge when so much advances of neuroscience, evolutionary biology, genetics, molecular biology, etc. had been made since the 1700s?

Note this thread,
The Limit of Hume's Knowledge
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34693
where Hume admitted his lack of knowledge of 'empathy' and sentiments which is the fundamental basis of morality.

Given the majority is always many many steps away from the truths of reality [flat earth, geocentricity, theism, etc.], I am aware many will not agree with me. So what? What count are sound rational arguments backed with philosophical reasonings.

My basis of morality is highly dependent on the input of scientific facts into the moral FSK that enable moral facts to emerge.
Your so-called "morality" [albeit sufficiently good] is merely pseudo-morality grounded upon an illusory God.
As evident there is no imperative to depend on a God [illusory] to avoid doing evil and promoting good, Buddhism is a good example and most ordinary folks.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote:
Would you expect God to make Himself subject to our poking and prodding, and become a lab rat on demand, a mere subject for idle human speculation or casual investigation by anybody who wants to, using nothing more than the tools of physical science?
IC's language lets his cat out of his bag. "Poking and prodding" do not describe honest, sincere, and wise human inquiry into the nature of existence or ethics.

I am not an unquestioning believer and am what may be called atheist but I get an uncomfortable feeling when people are "casual " about God, and theories about God. I have yet to see any post here that is "casual" about God and theories of God.

It's impossible for God to become a "lab rat" as even the most determined atheist would agree.
Likewise it's impossible for God to become "a mere subject". (My black)True, God can become a subject for discussion. However He is never "mere" as that would be contrary to all definitions of God except possibly by someone who is not fluent in modern English.
FlashDangerpants

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:59 am
The fact that morals are social constructs does not, as it turns out, make them any less compelling.
Oh, for me, it would.

If you told me, for example, that not doing something I wanted to do, and that I personally did not find any reason to believe was objectively immoral, and all prohibitions were merely products of my present society's social constructing, I would be inclined to do one of two things: one would be to do it anyway, but keep it "off the radar" of my society, and the other would be to move to a locale where the behaviour was more approved.

And why shouldn't I do one or the other? For nothing says I owe my society to follow it's peculiar tastes in constructions of morality...they're no stronger than my next door neighbour's opinion. They're certainly considerably less than objective...and as you say, we seem to need to feel the objectivity of morality for it to produce its effects on us.
Did you passively grow up within one specific church and with no questions, or did you seek out that congregation that worshipped a God who gave them the specific moral guidance you would choose?

All these moral realists with their universal moral facts always get to negotiate what those universal moral facts should be. and every single one of them, especially you Mannie, always gets told by the universe or the bible or the quran or in the case of Vaginal Aqueduct by dna/rna.. that they have been right all along.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:47 am
Oh, for me, it would.

Did you passively grow up within one specific church and with no questions, or did you seek out that congregation that worshipped a God who gave them the specific moral guidance you would choose?

All these moral realists with their universal moral facts always get to negotiate what those universal moral facts should be. and every single one of them, especially you Mannie, always gets told by the universe or the bible or the quran or in the case of Vaginal Aqueduct by dna/rna.. that they have been right all along.
Yes it is amazing how they are all 100% correct; from Thomas Aquinus to Huldrych Zwingli, and from Ibn Rushd Averroes to Abdul Majeed al-Zindani,
But though Mannie would not agree with everything they would say, he too is always 100% right and knows the mind of god on all the most important issues.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Harbal wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:56 pm
How many physics text books, biology text books, any scientific text books, explain, or even allow for, God's role in the world?

And if He did, would you think He was God? Or would you expect Him to be bigger than that? Would you expect Him, in fact, to be transcendent of all that?
You are missing the point. If the physical world could not be explained by science without it having to concede that the hand of God was essential to its existance and its functioning, there would be some significant gaps in the text books. Science does not need to include God in order to make sense of what it discovers. That suggests that there is either no God, or that God is constrained by the laws of physics in the same way as everything else in the universe. A third option would be that God didn't actually create anything. Nature complies to a consistent set of rules, and that is why I consider the idea of anything supernatural unviable. It simply does not fit into the system.

You seem to be saying that God's involvement in "creation" is obvious, yet, at the same time, also saying that God deliberately hides the evidence of his involvement. It seems to me that if God wanted us to know about him, he would reveal himself plainly, and if he didn't want us to know, we would not have the slightest inkling of his existence. You make it sound like God is playing a cat and mouse game with us. Even were I to concede the possibility of God existing, I would still be unable to accept that he would conduct himself in that ridiculous fashion.
You raise a good point: a moral indictment that we know to be subjective would hardly p**** our consciences at all, I should think. You're right: we have to believe they are objective, in order for them to have any particular weight with us at all.
No. I didn't say we have to believe they are objective, I said it has to feel as though they are. I know that a medium to large house spider cannot hurt me; it is something that I believe, yet I can't bring myself to handle one. My aversion to picking one up is just too strong for me to overcome, even though I know it is irrational. My point being that we are driven far more by emotion and less by rationality than we are aware of, or care to acknowledge.

It is also the case that some people who do not believe in God still believe that morality is objective, and I have seen threads on this forum that make that argument, so I think that the inclusion of God at all in this discussion might be an unnecessary complication.

I don't mind picking up smaller spiders, btw.
if morality really IS just subjective, then why is it that we should have to imagine it being objective for it to work as morality? That paradox certainly could stand some unpacking.
I keep explaining this, and you keep bringing it up as though I have failed to address it. If you don't accept my explanation as satisfactory, that is okay, and you can either say why you don't accept it, or not say why you don't, but please at least acknowledge that I have offered it to you (several times).
Harbal wrote:The fact that morals are social constructs does not, as it turns out, make them any less compelling.
IC wrote: Oh, for me, it would.
Well this is not just about you.

For absent any objective moral prohibition or prescription, one cannot really sin. There is no party that has any right to be offended, and your own conscience has no warrant in being twinged.
I am going to define "sin" as any act that is considered to be morally wrong. One can commit an act that violates a subjective rule just as easily as with an objective rule. Your assertion that no party has any right to be offended does not make sense. If I commit a "sin" against my own moral code, there is likely to be a victim of it who is entitled to be offended, as a defining characteristic of sin is that it causes harm. My own self esteem will also be offended. The matter, to my way of thinking, is solely between the sinner and the sinned against, and is none of God's business.

In your scheme, the injured party seems to be of less concern that the sensibilities of God. I find that morally shabby, actually.
I mean that sin separates us from God. We lose our ability to relate to Him properly, and to be fit for His company, because God does not tolerate sin. So something must be done about my guilt before I can be hopeful of any prospect of relationship to God.

And since, as it seems, I am a victim of my own nature, and far too prone to sin, I need to be forgiven for what I have done. But more than that, I also need to be enabled to change, and to start being a better person. But even so, I'm never going to be quite good enough to merit God's forgiveness, so I'm going to need more; I'm going to need a permanent solution to my guilt, but I'm incapable of producing it myself.

That's why I need help. And that's what "saved" means. It means I gave up on myself and my own efforts, and asked for the help only God could give me, to forgive me first and wipe my account; and then to start working with me to change me, and gradually to make me what I could never be on my own.

It means that what I could not do, God did. And I accepted that for myself, because He offered it in Jesus Christ. And so, I was saved from what I was by HIm, not by myself.
That is your story, not mine. If you believe in the story, that is the framework within which you should operate, but, as I say, it is not my story.
The other solution is this: to admit that the things we've done wrong are just as bad as we feel them to be...and usually, that they are worse than that even, worse than we can feel. And feeling the truth of that, to plead with God for His remedy, since honesty forces us to despair of our own power to fix things.
But you know that I don't have the option of pleading to God. Please don't tell me that that option is always open to me, because it isn't. If someone I have hurt forgives me, that might lessen how bad I feel about hurting him, and if I can also forgive myself, I might end up hardly feeling bad at all. If there isn't any forgiveness, then I am kind of stuck with it, especially if the original wrong cannot be put right or compensated for. To convince yourself that God can make it all okay is nothing short of a cop out.
We just don't have the power to fix those things. But neither can we live with them. What can we do, then, but turn to God and say, "God, be merciful to me, the sinner," just as the man Christ spoke about in the Temple did? (Luke 18:13-14)
Not having the power to fix things that are hard to live with is one of the hard facts of life. I suppose you can accept that in an adult manner, or you can run to your symbolic parent -God- and ask him to rub it better for you, and make it all just go away, like a child tends to do.
But we're not talking about a fantasy here. We're talking about a real person, a person named Jesus Christ. And we're deciding either to take what He said seriously, or to dismiss Him. And if we're honest men, and don't lie to ourselves, we're deciding whether we are going to a) live miserable and guilty, knowing we've done evils we cannot reverse or atone for, b) try to justify and excuse ourselves, which isn't honest, c) put ourselves into a kind of permanent slavery of trying to "make up for" what we've done by our own efforts, hoping that will turn out to be good enough, or d) call upon God to save us, because we're really lost here.
Again, your story, but not mine.
I'm not, actually. I take Atheism to entail only one premise: that there are no gods, no God. And that's just definitional. However, it of course also entails some kind of Physicalism or Materialism, since it's manifest that we are here and the world is here, so some God-free explanation has to fill that space.

If we take Atheism to entail only those two things, then morality is dead. We need no more to do the job.
Yes, atheism just entails an absence of belief in God. Some people don't need to fill the space where you say God should be, it is of no interest to them. Some people would say that God fills the space by displacing rationality and common sense. When people do need to have an explanation, and are struggling to find one, that is probably when fiction fills the role and religion makes an appearance.

Atheism does not preclude morality. Forgive me, but it is quite ridiculous of you to keep presenting arguments that say it does when evidence to the contrary is constantly in plain sight. Atheists are moral agents just as much as Christians or anyone else. I am evidence of that; lots of people are evidence of it. If you were skilful enough, you could no doubt make a compelling argument that water isn't wet, but it would be rather silly to expect it to convince a man who was standing in a swimming pool at the time.
No, I don't mean that. Atheism is not a system of any kind, that is what I mean.
But we have a right to ask the Atheist this: "Is your Atheism premised on evidence, or on your wishes?" If he says it's premised on evidence, then we have a right to ask him what evidence that is. If it's not premised on evidence, then we have a right to ask him why he is simply believing his wishes can come true.

So Atheism ends up either being evidentary or speculative. And since I have yet to encounter an evidentiary Atheist (what could ever disprove the existence of the Supreme Being, after all?), I think we have to conclude it's speculative, and wish-based.
You've got this completely the wrong way round. Absence of belief is the default position. When we first become aware of the world, we do not start out by saying, "God has put a tree there, and I can be sure of that because I don't see any evidence to the contrary". We first see the tree, and, if we are curious, we might start to wonder how it came to be there. God might be one of many explanations that we come up with. We might eventually come up with an explanation that seems most likely, and then go on to believe that to be the correct explanation. At that point we do not expect someone to demand that we provide evidence to justify our decision not to believe one of the options that seemed to us less likely to be satisfactory.
Atheism a positive disbelief in God. It's the claim, "There IS no God."
That is a designation you are imposing on it yourself. If you were holding up Richard Dawkins as your archetypal atheist you might get away with saying that, but if I was your example you wouldn't. I don't say there is no God, I only say that I have no reason to think there is one, therefore I don't think it. I have no reason to think there is a monster living in Loch Ness, either, so I simply don't take the possibility into account while going about my daily life, just as I don't take the possibility of God's existence into account as I go about it.

And even if I did think that God was the most likely explanation for the existence of everything, so what? It would not necessarily follow that what you say about morality is the case. I would have to believe in the truth of the Bible to accept that, and I make absolutely no concession whatsoever towards that being remotely plausible.
Well, the brush is in their hands, and the tar is their own. It's they who make that declaration: I don't invent it for them. But if one is going to disbelieve in God, then one owes us reasons...assuming one is also saying it's irrational for us to believe in God, not merely that it's only wrong for the speaker.

And that is, in fact, what most Atheists seem to want to say. They seem to want to assert, "I don't believe in God, and you shouldn't either." That second part is yet another reason why they owe us sufficient evidence to warrant disbelief in God.
Yes, many atheists will tell you it's foolish to believe in God, and a good few of them will go out of their way to do it. When that is the case, you will tend to find that they shower you with reasons for their disbelief. You might consider the reasons illegitimate, but you will be given them none the less.

Some atheists might tell you you shouldn't believe in God if they get the opportunity, but they are far less likely to create the opportunity themselves. There aren't many organisations that hold regular meetings in specifically designated buildings for the purpose of asserting the none existence of God. You don't tend to see atheists wondering around in pairs, knocking on doors trying to convince those foolish enough to open them of something they are not interested in knowing about. How many dedicated atheist TV channels do you know of?

I don't feel any desire to talk anyone out of their belief in God, unless their belief is causing harm of some kind. Their belief, or "faith", is very important to some people, it would be mean, even cruel, to attempt to deprive them of of it.

Much of our current conversation has consisted of your telling me why I should believe in God, and my trying to explain why I don't need to believe. I don't think you will find even one instance of my trying to convince you not to believe in God.
FlashDangerpants

Harbal wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:53 pm
Harbal wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:56 pm

You are missing the point. If the physical world could not be explained by science without it having to concede that the hand of God was essential to its existance and its functioning, there would be some significant gaps in the text books. Science does not need to include God in order to make sense of what it discovers. That suggests that there is either no God, or that God is constrained by the laws of physics in the same way as everything else in the universe. A third option would be that God didn't actually create anything. Nature complies to a consistent set of rules, and that is why I consider the idea of anything supernatural unviable. It simply does not fit into the system.
A competing explanation might be that God is indeed infintely powerful and knowing, but he has no intention of being proven to exist. Perhaps if Mannie ever did come up with an argument that proved there was a God, the big G man would get upset, roll back time and smite Mannie like he's just some disrespectful motherfucker who keeps trying to impose his own will above Bog's.

If Mannie suddenly gets struck by a shark falling from the sky, could we determine that be a miraculous act of God caused by his own divine overeach, or would we just think it freak accident?
Harbal wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:53 pm Atheism does not preclude morality.
You're not allowed to ask about that, he's only willing to discuss that with the apostate lesbian he thinks he's going to bring back into the fold and then pack off to a pray-away-the-gay camp.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:24 pm A competing explanation might be that God is indeed infintely powerful and knowing, but he has no intention of being proven to exist.
Well this is the wonderful thing: How can you lose an argument concerning the doings of God? Whatever is thrown at you is easilly dealt with by putting it down to God's infinite power, God's infinate knowledge, or God's infinite wisdom.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:07 am What??
I went to your "well of wisdom," and have found it dry.

I shall move on to where waters may still flow, thank you.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:53 pm If the physical world could not be explained by science without it having to concede that the hand of God was essential to its existance and its functioning, there would be some significant gaps in the text books. Science does not need to include God in order to make sense of what it discovers.
This is actually a recent conceit on the part of modern, secularists. It has not generally been so.

An investigation will reveal that not only were the majority of scientists clergymen and religious folks, but that the scientific method itself was produced by one. And that is not accidental. For, it is because thinking people could expect regularities in nature that they first began expecting to find scientific laws, and to look for them. But to expect them, they had also to expect the existence of a rational, consistent Creator, who would produce a law-governed universe. Thus, monotheism, Jewish and Christian particularly, formed the suppositional basis on which modern science was itself launched. And this also accounts for why it did not launch much earlier, in other places where there are lots of smart folks (indeed, far more than in the West, numerically), like China and India. The religious suppositions for such a thing were simply not in place there.

So the idea that science can be severed off from God awaited the appearance of a rival, secular "genesis" theory -- which was to appear in the speculations of one Charles Darwin...though the search for the same had been on literally for millenia leading up to that, without success. Those who believed Darwin became convinced they'd found a plausible alternative to belief in God; and thus, for the first time in history, natural science and natural theology went through a partial divorce. Still, many of even today's scientists remain Christians and Jews, among others.

So the nice myth of the tight opposition between faith and reason, or between science and "religion" is just that: a secular myth that is neither historically nor presently true.

But that's a big subject, and requires much more than this rapid treatment in these small spaces can afford, admittedly. The point, though, is simple: you don't have to be a secularist to be a scientist. That much is abundantly obvious.
You seem to be saying that God's involvement in "creation" is obvious,

Romans chapter 1 says that. I'm merely agreeing.
yet, at the same time, also saying that God deliberately hides the evidence of his involvement.
Yes. That is interesting, isn't it?

Did you ever ask why He would do that, or did it automatically seem to you to be ground for dismissal of such questions?
It seems to me that if God wanted us to know about him, he would reveal himself plainly, and if he didn't want us to know, we would not have the slightest inkling of his existence.
Hmmm...

I don't know why those are the only two alternatives. What if He revealed Himself plainly, but left open to people the option of remaining unbelieving? Like, what if He...say, incarnated? But say He did so not by exploding with glory into the face of all mankind, so that nobody could possibly doubt His existence and nobody could help but bow to Him, but instead appeared uninvasively -- say, among us, as a human being -- and walked with us, and showed His authenticity, and demonstrated the kindness of His intentions toward us, and told us all we needed to know, but even so, left us the possibility of acceptance or rejection so that our free will and individual choosing would remain intact?

Why couldn't that be the case?
No. I didn't say we have to believe they are objective, I said it has to feel as though they are. [/quote]
I accept that caveat.
It is also the case that some people who do not believe in God still believe that morality is objective,
Yes. But are they justified in that confidence? I think you'll find they're not.

Given Atheism, or Materialism, or Physicalism, or whatever, when people say "morality is objective," all they can mean is "morality is something human beings do socially." It's a "social phenomenon," a "strange habit people have." What they can't say is that the moral precepts themselves are objectively true or right; only that it is true that some people practice them or believe in them.

In other words, they have to hold that morality is merely a psychological delusion...one that many have, perhaps, and maybe even one that has some limited social usefulness; but no more substantial in the final weighing than belief in Aristotle's four bodily humours or in alchemical transformations of lead into gold. It's just another kind of supersitition, really, an oddity of human misbelieving.

I am going to define "sin" as any act that is considered to be morally wrong.[/quote]
Okay...but who is doing the "considering" in that sentence? Who is the person who has so much authority that they can determine what you should and should not believe is wrong?
One can commit an act that violates a subjective rule just as easily as with an objective rule.

Yes, but not at all with the same reasons for guilt.

If my rule is only subjective, it's like my diet...I can cheat on it, and I may feel "guilty" if I do. But really, since only I care whether or not I stick to my diet, and since only I made the "imperative" for it in the first place, it's pretty easy for me to forgive myself and move on. Really easy, in fact.

Contrast that to something really objectively wrong, or that I firmly believe to be so. If I have, say, beaten my wife, I not only feel subjectively guilty -- I know I AM guilty...and not in such a way that I can simply forgive myself, but in such a way that I know I am answerable for it to justice -- not just the human kind, but the ultimate, divine kind.
If I commit a "sin" against my own moral code, there is likely to be a victim of it who is entitled to be offended,
That doesn't look obvious.

If you make a subjective rule that you will not fly in airplanes, say, who does that "victimize"? And what gives anybody a right to be "offended" if you don't feel safe in airplanes?
...a defining characteristic of sin is that it causes harm.
That depends. One has to understand "harm" in a very clear sense, and certainly in more than ways that are merely obvious.
My own self esteem will also be offended.
That happens when I break my diet.

But I can get over that.
The matter, to my way of thinking, is solely between the sinner and the sinned against, and is none of God's business.
What if that's not so?

What if one part of the offense we commit against another person is that it violates a creature given life, liberty and other rights by God Himself, so that our affront to that person, His creation, is also an affront to the Creator?

And what of the justice of God, if He will let such things happen and go forever unredressed? What if He is what He says: the Just one, and the ultimate and final defender of those harmed by what I have chosen to do?

That is your story, not mine. [/quote]
Of course. I did not say it was any other.

But it is a story open to anybody who wishes to have it.
But you know that I don't have the option of pleading to God.

Everybody has the option. Some people choose not to take it.
Please don't tell me that that option is always open to me, because it isn't.

And yet, God says it is.
Not having the power to fix things that are hard to live with is one of the hard facts of life.[/quote]
Indeed it is. And one can decide to stop there, and think no further about it.

But what if that were not the end of the line, and one just refused to go further? How would that be wisdom?

Yes, atheism just entails an absence of belief in God. Some people don't need to fill the space where you say God should be, it is of no interest to them. [/quote]
I didn't say they needed to fill some emotional or existential "space."

What they need is to fill some scientific, explanatory space. For we can all see that the Creation is here, and every one of us has to have some theory about how it came to be. Either it was a deliberate creation of some kind, or it was an accidental one. There aren't any other options, and everybody assumes one or the other.

But the consequences of whichever one assumes are profound, of course.
Atheism does not preclude morality.

Yes, it does.

It can never suppose that morality is more than a sociological phenomenon of some sort of situational origin. It can never suppose that the claims of morality are objective and morally-binding in any way.
Atheists are moral agents just as much as Christians or anyone else.
Nobody says otherwise: certainly not me.

Atheists are moral agents who don't really know what morality really means (other than it's a subjective state) or what can ground or justify its claims as objective truth. Christians are moral agents that do. In some cases, you may not even be able to tell the difference, based merely on behaviour. Both may be very nice, well-behaved, decent folks. So both are moral agents.

Still neither is anything but a sinner, ultimately, since, as the Bible says, "All have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God." (Rm. 3:10)

Another difference is this: a morally-minded Atheist is a man who feels guilt, but can do nothing about it. A Christian is a person who knows he's guilty, but has done something to deal with it.

Again, the difference makes all the difference.
No, I don't mean that. Atheism is not a system of any kind, that is what I mean.
It's a single disbelief claim. But it does have cascade effects. Most Atheists don't want to think about that, but it's true.

One is that it requires them to have an alternate theory of creation. Another is that it requires them to presuppose some sort of Physicalism or Materialism; and another, that it rules out any possibility of transcendent realities. But an additional one is that it leaves morality as a mere social phenomenon, with no legitimacy beyond that.

So it very quickly turns into a package deal, and dominates other areas of thinking and living.

You've got this completely the wrong way round. Absence of belief is the default position.

I don't think it is. We would have to wonder, for example, why all ancient cultures, without exception, were religious.

But let's say it is, just for argument's sake. Let's say we all come into this world as at least latent Atheists.

Does that give us reason to think Atheism is true? No. It gives us no more reason to think it's true than if we came into the world believing it was flat, which plausibly, we might.

But that's not the point, really. The point is that the Atheist wants us to believe something: namely, that there is no God. And since he wants us to believe that, he owes us evidence to justify that conclusion. He can't just say, "The world is flat because I was born thinking that."
Atheism a positive disbelief in God. It's the claim, "There IS no God."
That is a designation you are imposing on it yourself.

No, actually. It's analytic in the word itself, both etymologically and conceptually.
If you were holding up Richard Dawkins as your archetypal atheist you might get away with saying that,

Well, Dawkins, like so many Atheists, is very inconsistent. One the one hand, he publishes a book calling God a "delusion," and then, on the other, he denies that he is an Atheist at all, and prefers to position himself as what he calls, "a firm agnostic" instead. But he does this latter as a way of escaping the trap of the inherent vulnerabilty of Atheism itself -- for he knows that the claim of actual Atheism would cause the burden of proof to fall on him, and he knows it cannot be borne.
I don't say there is no God, I only say that I have no reason to think there is one, therefore I don't think it.
That would make you an agnostic.
And even if I did think that God was the most likely explanation for the existence of everything, so what? It would not necessarily follow that what you say about morality is the case. I would have to believe in the truth of the Bible to accept that, and I make absolutely no concession whatsoever towards that being remotely plausible.
Yes, you would. And yes, that's your choice.

Yes, many atheists will tell you it's foolish to believe in God, and a good few of them will go out of their way to do it. When that is the case, you will tend to find that they shower you with reasons for their disbelief.
I find the opposite, actually.

I find that in the face of supplying reasons, they wilt. They say feeble things like, "Well, I've never seen God, so you can't believe in Him either." Or "I just don't like the evil in the world, and since I don't know what it means, I believe there's no God," or even "I don't like your morality, like your prohibition on abortion, so I reject God."

These are poor evasions of the problem, of course, hardly a "shower of reasons."
Some atheists might tell you you shouldn't believe in God if they get the opportunity, but they are far less likely to create the opportunity themselves.
Like Dawkins? Or Hitchens? Or Harris? These are men who have to be dragged from the spotlight screaming and kicking. They publish books and go on tour to proclaim their anti-gospel of faithlessness to the masses.

But the average Atheists is, indeed, usually more quiet. And with good reason. Most become Atheists by way of knee-jerk reaction, out of a desire to escape the very question of God, it seems. So understandably, having shut the door on the question, they are reluctant to open it again.
I don't feel any desire to talk anyone out of their belief in God, unless their belief is causing harm of some kind. Their belief, or "faith", is very important to some people, it would be mean, even cruel, to attempt to deprive them of of it.

That would depend, of course, on what you thought was entailed.

You might not feel any desire to disturb your neighbour unless you realized his house was on fire. Then, maybe, you'd feel more inclined.
Much of our current conversation has consisted of your telling me why I should believe in God, and my trying to explain why I don't need to believe. I don't think you will find even one instance of my trying to convince you not to believe in God.
Maybe I'm concerned that your house may be on fire.

You spoke of guilt. I've been thinking about that. It seems to me that guilt is like a fire-alarm...it often alerts us to the fact that something is really wrong. So if you have been feeling guilt, then maybe the good news is this: you're morally functioning properly. Your radar's tuned right. And maybe you know something about yourself or your life that quite rightly troubles you, and your natural faculties of conscience are inviting you to do something about it. All of that would actually be very healthy, I think.

So I've been talking to you about what can be done about guilt. I'm not so despairing of the case as you seem to be. I know that there is really nothing that God cannot forgive, and nothing that is actually hopeless. Because whatever you think of yourself, God sent His Son to save you. That puts a price on your self beyond measure. And if God thinks something's worth saving in Harbal, how can I possibly think otherwise?

When you look at that, you can realize that there is a difference between what you (may) have done, and what you are worth. Your self is something different from how you've felt, or what you've done. And even if you're despairing of an answer to guilt, God is not despairing of you.

That's all I'm really saying.