Plato, the Father of Philosophy

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Phil8659

Plato, the Father of Philosophy

Post by Phil8659 »

Now, some call Plato the Father of Philosophy, actually that is not possible, however, some may say, in truth, Plato was the Father of Terms Common to a Philosopher, i.e. well defined terms.

The difference between the Philosopher and the Sophist, Plato denoted quite well and in truth. Sadly to say, not even those who made this web forum possible clearly do not even know the distinction.

The distinction is simple, denoted and followed by Plato, however, its literary source can be traced back to the Bible, and perhaps earlier works, but the earliest work it can factually be traced back to, is the evolution of life. In short, physical fact is pursued by true scientist and mythology by everyone else.
How So? you may ask.
Every life support system aids in the survival of its life by its ability to effect two types of behavior. Abstract material process that material for a product of its physical life. The other branch of life support systems, are those which sense limits, and apply limits, chewing, cutting with claws, etc. I.e. Every life support system is aimed at one or the other, even though they often employ both. In the short of it, Material and Form, relatives and correlatives. Plato called this fact, as applied to mental processing, Dialectic, reasoning in accordance with the two nameable elements of a thing.
What Plato did say, is that the Job of a Philosopher, from the simplest of it, to the most complex, is dialectic, and a Philosopher is a dialectician. Now, by biological fact, the job of a mind is to produce life supporting behavior, which means the ability to read, with all of our sense systems, process by dialectic, called today binary processing, and write back to the body its behavior based on that processing. This is a Philosopher. Binary, the definition of a thing, is also called a standard of behavior. Standard is to correlative as behavior is to the relative. Another way to express this, as Plato did, nouns and verbs, i.e. by definition and provable fact, there are two, and only two, parts of speech. Now, if you do not believe the Bible, or Plato, or your own biology, or the definition of a thing, argue with your computer and see if you can win that argument before you start imagining, in complete delusion, that you are a Philosopher, or even literate.

I believe in the name of this forum Philosophy Now, because surely Sophistry throughout history is leading this planet to hell held in awe by the simple minded common man. It is past time, the name of this forum matches the name of its content.

To put this into other terms, A lot of sensory input is in analog form, and a mind has to parse it, i.e. assert limits to it.

Now a Sophist does not recognize this process, and even when it is explained to them and you can get them to agree to every step in explaining it, they still cannot use it, still talk using words, but not in accordance with meaning, but in accordance with what pleases them, or what they think pleases them.

Today, Sophistry rules the world. And, everyone here can bitch all they want, this forum is not named Sophistry Now.
Veritas Aequitas

Re: Plato, the Father of Philosophy

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Plato is one of the great philosopher but he had his limitations.
To be fair to yourself you need to exhaust every criticism that is laid upon Plato's philosophy since his time to the present.
Just google "criticism of Plato's philosophy".
E.g. this,
https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-cri ... philosophy
and many more.

Btw, Greek philosophy was heavily influenced by Hindu Philosophy which dates back >5000 years before Plato's time.
See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXBygl-ox5Q
Thomas McEvilley speaks about Ancient Greek and Indian philosophy, and their co-mingling in his book: 'The Shape of Ancient Thought'.

The Bible is a good book for soothing psychological pains of salvation but nothing to brag about re 'good' refined and higher philosophy.
Phil8659

Re: Plato, the Father of Philosophy

Post by Phil8659 »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:12 am Plato is one of the great philosopher but he had his limitations.
To be fair to yourself you need to exhaust every criticism that is laid upon Plato's philosophy since his time to the present.
Just google "criticism of Plato's philosophy".
E.g. this,
https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-cri ... philosophy
and many more.

Btw, Greek philosophy was heavily influenced by Hindu Philosophy which dates back >5000 years before Plato's time.
See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXBygl-ox5Q
Thomas McEvilley speaks about Ancient Greek and Indian philosophy, and their co-mingling in his book: 'The Shape of Ancient Thought'.

The Bible is a good book for soothing psychological pains of salvation but nothing to brag about re 'good' refined and higher philosophy.
So you want me to study the fools, fragment my time, and pursue gibberish? Maybe you are not capable of comprehending truth when you read it.
Plato not only introduced the world to formal grammar, he introduced the topic of Psycho-linguistics, what philosophy is supposed to be about. The Expert example of Psych-Linguistics is exampled by what is called The Judeo-Christian Scripture, or Bible. What do you know about binary recursion, or how to parse information and how to teach it. You cite idiots and trash, because you cannot even fathom the topic. I proved what Plato and the Bible teaches by producing a whole and very powerful system of Grammar, what have you or your fluff puffs ever achieved in the way of the evolution of grammar?
You are a panty waste, not even able to find the right teachers. I give clear and ample evidence of what my teachers helped me learn, and links to what proves my words. You give links, to show that they only thing you have learn is the art sycophantery. I prove the work of my teaches with hard evidence, what the hell are you proving other than you cannot focus on anything?