For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Re: Philosophy

Post by henry quirk »

B,
I chose a very femimine name 'Belinda'.
Becuz you're a woman, yes?
I claim the right to be treated as an honorary man in situations where the male sex has the power.
If indeed you are a woman then you have no right to be treated as anything else.
If you had opted to be called Henriette I'd support your efforts to be treated as an honorary man.
I'm a guy. I was born a guy; I'll die a guy. If girls rise to power, I won't demand honorary woman (cuz I'm a guy).
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"I claim the right to be treated as an honorary man in situations where the male sex has the power."

henry and i will do no such thing, young lady. you will not destroy western civilization with this fake post-structural identity crisis you and the goddamn communists made up.

you have to be a woman and you have to be called a woman, belinda.

but while this is a man's world, henry and i want you to remember that it wouldn't be nothing... NOOOTHING!!...without a woman or a girl
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

you have to be a woman
She really doesn't have a choice about it.
and you have to be called a woman, belinda.
Since that's what she is, it makes sense that's what she's called.
unless, of course, she's been lyin' all this time and actually is a guy...if so: shame on him
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

promethean75 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:22 pm "I claim the right to be treated as an honorary man in situations where the male sex has the power."

henry and i will do no such thing, young lady. you will not destroy western civilization with this fake post-structural identity crisis you and the goddamn communists made up.

you have to be a woman and you have to be called a woman, belinda.

but while this is a man's world, henry and i want you to remember that it wouldn't be nothing... NOOOTHING!!...without a woman or a girl
Thanks for the irony Promethean.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:44 pm BTW: biggy wants to interrogate you about all the times I've been wrong, in-forum, on BIG STUFF, and have admitted to bein' wrong. Just a heads up.
Whenever that happened, I did it by understanding what your argument was, and comparing it to other beliefs you do have. I mention this today because you are currently wandering around insisting that everyone who disagrees with you is an amoralist, and you aren't making a high quality persuasive argument by that method because you are not taking any trouble to understand anyone's arguments but your own.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Whenever that happened, I did it by understanding what your argument was, and comparing it to other beliefs you do have.
And I'm in your debt for it.

I mention this today because you are currently wandering around insisting that everyone who disagrees with you is an amoralist
Amoralist is my word for folks who reject the possibility of moral fact, or who say -- flat out -- there is no moral fact. As I asked Pete: would you prefer moral opinionist?

you are not taking any trouble to understand anyone's arguments but your own.
Oh, I get yours: there's no evidence of moral fact: there is no moral fact.

you aren't making a high quality persuasive argument
I'm not tryin' too. As I say...
henry quirk wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:42 pm there's a gulf between you and me as amoralist and moralist I don't know how to bridge. Neither of us moves the other.
I do, however, know how to hold the amoralist to his own standard. Pete, for example...
Peter Holmes wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:37 pm...the slur that we who deny the existence of moral facts are amoralists is a vicious libel. Prove that it's true, or withdraw it. Do the right thing.
I laughed at him. I mean, really, an amoralist, a guy who's the forum champion of there is no moral fact, there's only moral opinion wants me to do the right thing. How is that not high-larious?

And you with the whole...
FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:36 pmYou hae the right to be treated in accord with the gender that you know yourself to be
You have a right comin' from a guy who cannot, will not, agree a person has natural rights.

You guys want to deny the cake exists, but you still want your slice.
FlashDangerpants

henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:15 pm
Whenever that happened, I did it by understanding what your argument was, and comparing it to other beliefs you do have.
And I'm in your debt for it.

I mention this today because you are currently wandering around insisting that everyone who disagrees with you is an amoralist
Amoralist is my word for folks who reject the possibility of moral fact, or who say -- flat out -- there is no moral fact. As I asked Pete: would you prefer moral opinionist?

you are not taking any trouble to understand anyone's arguments but your own.
Oh, I get yours: there's no evidence of moral fact: there is no moral fact.

you aren't making a high quality persuasive argument
I'm not tryin' too. As I say...
henry quirk wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:42 pm there's a gulf between you and me as amoralist and moralist I don't know how to bridge. Neither of us moves the other.
I do, however, know how to hold the amoralist to his own standard. Pete, for example...
Peter Holmes wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:37 pm...the slur that we who deny the existence of moral facts are amoralists is a vicious libel. Prove that it's true, or withdraw it. Do the right thing.
I laughed at him. I mean, really, an amoralist, a guy who's the forum champion of there is no moral fact, there's only moral opinion wants me to do the right thing. How is that not high-larious?

And you with the whole...
FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:36 pmYou hae the right to be treated in accord with the gender that you know yourself to be
You have a right comin' from a guy who cannot, will not, agree a person has natural rights.

You guys want to deny the cake exists, but you still want your slice.
At any point, have you stopped to wonder if you might have overintepreted what it means to say that morals have more in common with customs, fashions and beliefs than they do with objectively demonstrable fact?

You are misrepresenting your oponent and if you get a sense that they disrespect you in turn, you might have earned it.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

At any point, have you stopped to wonder if you might have overintepreted what it means to say that morals have more in common with customs, fashions and beliefs than they do with objectively demonstrable fact?
What's to misinterpret? Fact or opinion: it's one or the other.
You are misrepresenting your oponent
I don't think so.
and if you get a sense that they disrespect you in turn, you might have earned it.
Least of my worries...hell, not a worry at all.
FlashDangerpants

henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:59 pm
Well that's sad Henry.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:27 pm
henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:59 pm
Well that's sad Henry.
I agree, though not for your reason.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Henry Quirk wrote:
From which culture of belief did you learn your morality from , Henry?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:23 am Henry Quirk wrote:
I learned the conventions & customs of the rough & ready people of south central Louisiana. The morality is a factory feature.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:53 am
I learned the conventions & customs of the rough & ready people of south central Louisiana. The morality is a factory feature.
Well, there you are . You are a child of your particular culture like everyone else is a child of their particular culture.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:07 pm

Well, there you are . You are a child of your particular culture like everyone else is a child of their particular culture.
Yes, B, highlight the first, ignore the second.
FlashDangerpants

henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:28 pm
Belinda wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:07 pm

Yes, B, highlight the first, ignore the second.
Do you have any explanation for why hypocrisy is wrong in your moral fact thing there Henry?
You should consult it about now.