philosophy of work

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

philosophy of work

Post by Advocate »

That most jobs require you to be bubbly, energetic, and hustle is a tragedy. Let's try to build a world where people can relax at work, take time off as needed, and do the best job possible, not the most productive one.
FlashDangerpants

Re: philosophy of work

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Have you tried working outside the USA? None of that stuff really applies here.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Advocate wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:18 am That most jobs require you to be bubbly, energetic, and hustle is a tragedy. Let's try to build a world where people can relax at work, take time off as needed, and do the best job possible, not the most productive one.
Spotting Talent

https://www.city-journal.org/spotting-talent
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:35 am Have you tried working outside the USA? None of that stuff really applies here.
I'm an american over in Europe, and while the problem is vastly smaller here as far as bubbly, I was told to smile regularly in one job, and one does have to be relatively emotion-free as far as expression. It depends on the field of course. The service industy is the worst, I would guess. And there is an americanization of corporate culture underway, at least since I've been here.

And I do understand the business owners' perspective. I get it. But it's a bit like steroids. If all businesses allowed people to be themselves, then the unfair advantage of demanding phoniness would disappear.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

We need to talk about your flair, plato.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

promethean75 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:36 pm We need to talk about your flair, plato.
Exactly.