What is the meaning of life?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

popeye1945

Re: What is the meaning of life?

Post by popeye1945 »

Just a thought, something I heard the late Joseph Campbell the mythologist state, " I don't think people are really looking for a meaning to their life, but to experience the rapture of being alive." quote This is something for most that rarely if ever is experienced. I am thinking too if one could induce it at will, it would be most addictive -- perhaps that is what a great deal of drug-taking is really about.
bahman

Post by bahman »

popeye1945 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:28 am
bahman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:58 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:19 am

bahman,

Life is without meaning, a lot of protoplasma with an urge to reproduce but with one species that asks the question, the answer has to be you have to make it meaningful, or not. The fact that biology is the source of all meaning means we are creators in this world and thus it is within our power to make life meaningful. Nature should give you a good indication of just how meaningless life is in its nature of red in tooth and claw.
We are aware that something is missing in our lives, meaning, but we don't know what it is.
bahman,
Perhaps it is different for different people, for most of us I think it is others and the world in which we find ourselves, community love, and sense of feeling useful to ourselves and others. Whatever it is it's not something transcendent.
It is transcendent.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:36 am
bahman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:04 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:44 am
Point is the meaning of life is inherent and one effectively has to experience it spontaneously and naturally.

Are you familiar with 'Flow'

In a flow state, one enable the inherent meaning to flow spontaneously and naturally without being conscious of what the meaning should be in accordance to one's beliefs.

Even the Bible advise one to be natural like the lilies in the field;
And which of you by being anxious can add one cubit unto [a]the measure of his life? 28 And why are ye anxious concerning raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: [Mathew 6:27-28]

It is common wisdom in Eastern Spirituality not the be too bothered with the meaning of life but merely to allow it to flow and live it, but of course one must be serious in cultivating such a condition to achieve such a state of freedom;

Note the common wisdom; "Chop Wood, Carry Water" to denote spontaneous enlightenment without any concern to be conscious of what is the meaning of life. This has to come about after the effective rewiring of the brain to achieve such a state, not by intellectualizing what is the meaning of life.

What you want is for one to be conscious intellectually of such meaning. As such one can only be intellectually conscious to the degree of one's intellectual capacity but not one's spiritual capacity.
Unfortunately it is the suicidal who fall into this trapping, and when they failed to grasp the meaning of life in this intellectual sense, they commit suicide.
Yes, I am familiar with positive psychology. So do you agree that we don't have the mental capacity to experience the meaning of life?
I do not agree we don't have the mental capacity to experience the meaning of life.

I believe otherwise.
If it is only the suicidal and those who have committed suicide who don't have the mental capacity [due to brain defects] to experience the inherent meaning of life.
OK. I think it is otherwise, it prevents committing suicide.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

bahman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:58 pm
bahman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:58 pm
We are aware that something is missing in our lives, meaning, but we don't know what it is.
bahman,
Perhaps it is different for different people, for most of us I think it is others and the world in which we find ourselves, community love, and sense of feeling useful to ourselves and others. Whatever it is it's not something transcendent.
It is transcendent.

bahman,

Are you speaking from a religious point of few?
bahman

Post by bahman »

popeye1945 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:27 pm
bahman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:58 pm

bahman,
It is transcendent.

bahman,

Are you speaking from a religious point of few?
No, I am speaking from the spiritual point of view.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

bahman,

Ok, just wanted to be sure where this was going. If the term is understood as an exceptional experience I can identify, it being available in the realm of nature.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

bahman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:00 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:36 am
bahman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:04 pm
Yes, I am familiar with positive psychology. So do you agree that we don't have the mental capacity to experience the meaning of life?
I do not agree we don't have the mental capacity to experience the meaning of life.

I believe otherwise.
If it is only the suicidal and those who have committed suicide who don't have the mental capacity [due to brain defects] to experience the inherent meaning of life.
OK. I think it is otherwise, it prevents committing suicide.
It is the same of what I had presented>

Where people are aligned with the meaning of life subconsciously or/and consciously, they are not likely to commit suicide, thus prevents committing suicide.

Where people are NOT aligned with the meaning of life subconsciously or/and consciously, they WILL commit suicide eventually.
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

The meaning of life, can be that Trisl (God) having physics create the singularity's heat communities from her demonstration of her crystal matrix (Cryst Littleboo's and Mason Dertry's philosophical ambition to possess, as a safe user of plot twist before end of story), can be a safe observer, of the one to one history, between physics being an aristocratic governor of ingenuity story and the helping of physics through the theme democracy (the insinuation, of the value status of Trisl's reach of observation to the one to one story, being that at the end of each identity, of the one to one system, there is the parallel construction - ingenuity story/theme democracy - the one to one system, as it happens, being a gravity puller from the Thomas Heath-Brittney Havers psychology, of name-calling is the imaginary yet physical screen shot).
Annette Campbell

Post by Annette Campbell »

Meaning of life, according to Frankl, can be found by: Experiencing reality via authentic interactions with nature and others. Giving back to the real world via growth and self learning, as well as modifying our perspective when confronted with a situation or scenario over which we have no control.

They claim that life has purpose, but that value is created in our thoughts and subject to change throughout time. Landau claims that meaning is fundamentally a perspective of worth that we can all acquire in different ways, such as via connections, imagination, professional success, or kindness, among other things.
Veganman

Post by Veganman »

Annette Campbell wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:00 am Meaning of life, according to Frankl, can be found by: Experiencing reality via authentic interactions with nature and others. Giving back to the real world via growth and self learning, as well as modifying our perspective when confronted with a situation or scenario over which we have no control.

They claim that life has purpose, but that value is created in our thoughts and subject to change throughout time. Landau claims that meaning is fundamentally a perspective of worth that we can all acquire in different ways, such as via connections, imagination, professional success, or kindness, among other things.
I'm a fan of Frankl but simply put I don't think life has any meaning, other than the reproductive cycle, which is nature's idea of providing it for us. Anything more can only be found in the spiritual meanings we give to ourselves. For me, it lies in the caring for others, be they either human or non human.