What is the meaning of life?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

popeye1945

Re: What is the meaning of life?

Post by popeye1945 »

bahman wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:12 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:57 pm Meaning is the conscious experience of the body, the physical world as apparent reality is a biological readout.
No. Even animal experience their body but they are not cognitively open to understanding that there is such a thing as meaning.
Experience is knowledge in all animals and one cannot escape the fact that knowledge is meaning. They certainly are not going to write a novel but they definitely understand meanings.
bahman

Post by bahman »

popeye1945 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:30 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:57 pm Meaning is the conscious experience of the body, the physical world as apparent reality is a biological readout.
No. Even animal experience their body but they are not cognitively open to understanding that there is such a thing as meaning.
Experience is knowledge in all animals and one cannot escape the fact that knowledge is meaning. They certainly are not going to write a novel but they definitely understand meanings.
Really? How come they understand it and humanity cannot?
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

The meaning obviously registers with the animal in order to affect its behavior, does he define it in English no, but he does have the ability to communicate meaning to his like kind.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

bahman wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:14 pm
simplicity wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:37 pm
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:53 pm
By being indifferent.
Perhaps it's not being indifferent, it's just "being." Being indifferent is an active posture and creates a reaction, whereas just being creates only empty space [many people call it peace].

Keep "just being" and you will retain your peace.
Just being does not work since you are constantly under influence of feelings and thoughts.
Just being is just being...no feelings, no thoughts.

Post by Age »

simplicity wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:30 pm
Age wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:53 pm
simplicity wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:10 pm Thought of as the central inquiry of philosophy [essentially the same as, "Who am I ?"], this question alone paints an accurate picture of the human ego.

When one considers the enormity of the Universe, how is it possible that some insignificant species on a planet out in the middle of nowhere could have, "a purpose," AND, if [by some miracle] there was some sort of purpose, that we have the cognitive ability to understand such?
WHY do some of 'you', insignificant human beings, think or imagine that 'you' would have some purpose that would be different from EVERY other living 'thing'?

Is it NOT possible that 'the purpose' of ALL living 'things' is the EXACT SAME?

The answer, by the way, is found WHEN finding what the meaning of life IS, EXACTLY.
simplicity wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:10 pm I say we spend our time figuring out why the vast majority of humanity spends so much of its time attempting to procure something for nothing.
Will you list the 'things' that you are attempting to procure for nothing?

If no, then WHY NOT?

If you did, then we would have something to LOOK AT, which we could then DISCUSS, and then find out WHY 'you', and the 'vast majority of you', spend so much of your time attempting to procure something for nothing.
You should consider simply engaging instead of having to re-define EVERYTHING.
But I am NOT re-defining absolutely ANY thing here. I am just asking you to back up and support YOUR CLAIMS here.

If you can NOT do this, then so be it.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

bahman wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:38 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:36 am
bahman wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:34 pm
I know what you are saying but that is not the meaning that I am looking for.

Peace is good but provided that there is a meaning to it.

You will never find one if you don't look for it.
Your OP is destined to fail.
How can you find "it" if you don't know what you are looking for?

Are you familiar with Meno's Paradox, in particular this line;
  • "If you don't know what you're looking for, inquiry is impossible. "
I know what I am looking for as it is illustrated in OP.
How can that be.

You wrote:
Whatever it is it cannot be in the thought and feeling category.
Well, if there is such a thing as the meaning of life then one should be able to experience it.

If it cannot be thought [or felt], how can it be ever known.
I take your 'felt' to be possible to be experienced and empirically verifiable.

You are begging the question and killing your own hypothesis right from the start.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:16 am Whatever the meaning or fact, it has to be conditioned and qualified to some specific Framework and System of Knowledge [FSK].

For example, what is meaning to Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, sociology, anthropology, mathematics, logic, politics, legal, customs, traditions, language, etc. has to be qualified within its specific FSK.

In this case, you need to qualify what is the Framework and System and Knowledge of 'What is life' specific to yours' or a groups' expectations before you can establish what is the meaning of life.

Note in your OP, nothing is specified clearly.
It is specified clearly. Meaning is neither thought nor feeling. It is a different category.
This is false.
Whatever is 'meaning' it is conditioned upon a framework of thoughts & experienced.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:16 am To go somewhere, you need to at least state some compass point and the specific variables, else yours will be a never-ending search.
Even in Science, you have to start with some hypothesis, then prove whether it is right and if wrong to change the variables in the hypothesis or abandon it.
I have tried to impute by sense of rationality into your question but you're just not receptive to anything rational.

To be more credible you have to ensure your conclusions are verified empirically and justified with sound philosophical reasonings.

In your case, your seeking is 'infected' with Meno's Paradox and you will forever be lost in this pursuit.
I don't think so.
As explained above you are.

What you are stating is,
"I want to know something that is impossible to be known" :shock:
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:18 pm The meaning of life is to wake up every morning and ask yourself ''what is the meaning of life'' until you die.

The food is terrible, and such small portions.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:56 pm
SAYS WHO?
Exactly. Rationality indicates WHO is the same energetic force that revealed Base-10 reasoning to hoomans, giving rise to the phrase, Who's on first?
bahman

Post by bahman »

popeye1945 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:15 am
The meaning obviously registers with the animal in order to affect its behavior, does he define it in English no, but he does have the ability to communicate meaning to his like kind.
If animals can communicate what feeling is then why humans do not agree with its definition?
bahman

Post by bahman »

simplicity wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:59 am
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:14 pm
simplicity wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:37 pm
Perhaps it's not being indifferent, it's just "being." Being indifferent is an active posture and creates a reaction, whereas just being creates only empty space [many people call it peace].

Keep "just being" and you will retain your peace.
Just being does not work since you are constantly under influence of feelings and thoughts.
Just being is just being...no feelings, no thoughts.
That is the definition of being indiferent. So it seems that we agree.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:40 am
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:38 pm
Your OP is destined to fail.
How can you find "it" if you don't know what you are looking for?

Are you familiar with Meno's Paradox, in particular this line;
  • "If you don't know what you're looking for, inquiry is impossible. "
I know what I am looking for as it is illustrated in OP.
How can that be.

You wrote:
Whatever it is it cannot be in the thought and feeling category.
Well, if there is such a thing as the meaning of life then one should be able to experience it.

If it cannot be thought [or felt], how can it be ever known.
I take your 'felt' to be possible to be experienced and empirically verifiable.

You are begging the question and killing your own hypothesis right from the start.
No, there is the example of feeling that it is not in the category of thought. What I am suggesting is that meaning is in neither categories.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:16 am Whatever the meaning or fact, it has to be conditioned and qualified to some specific Framework and System of Knowledge [FSK].

For example, what is meaning to Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, sociology, anthropology, mathematics, logic, politics, legal, customs, traditions, language, etc. has to be qualified within its specific FSK.

In this case, you need to qualify what is the Framework and System and Knowledge of 'What is life' specific to yours' or a groups' expectations before you can establish what is the meaning of life.

Note in your OP, nothing is specified clearly.
It is specified clearly. Meaning is neither thought nor feeling. It is a different category.
This is false.
Whatever is 'meaning' it is conditioned upon a framework of thoughts & experienced.
Experience, yes. Thought, no.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:16 am To go somewhere, you need to at least state some compass point and the specific variables, else yours will be a never-ending search.
Even in Science, you have to start with some hypothesis, then prove whether it is right and if wrong to change the variables in the hypothesis or abandon it.
I have tried to impute by sense of rationality into your question but you're just not receptive to anything rational.

To be more credible you have to ensure your conclusions are verified empirically and justified with sound philosophical reasonings.

In your case, your seeking is 'infected' with Meno's Paradox and you will forever be lost in this pursuit.
I don't think so.
As explained above you are.

What you are stating is,
"I want to know something that is impossible to be known" :shock:
I didn't say so.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

bahman wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:41 pm
DPMartin wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:45 pm
bahman wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:31 pm Whatever it is it cannot be in the thought and feeling category. Well, if there is such a thing as the meaning of life then one should be able to experience it.
without a relationship to the Living God, there's no meaning unless you make one up (family, country, self satisfactions, religions, yada yada). but all of those are just temporary. you could leave a legacy like Caesar or Hitler but that fades away in the memory of those that will come later. it all returns to the ground. if you're looking for meaning in something you will loss and will be lost. have at it.
How relation with God can give meaning to life?
maybe you should look into that if you want to know, such info is available to gen public
bahman

Post by bahman »

DPMartin wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:12 pm
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:41 pm
DPMartin wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:45 pm

without a relationship to the Living God, there's no meaning unless you make one up (family, country, self satisfactions, religions, yada yada). but all of those are just temporary. you could leave a legacy like Caesar or Hitler but that fades away in the memory of those that will come later. it all returns to the ground. if you're looking for meaning in something you will loss and will be lost. have at it.
How relation with God can give meaning to life?
maybe you should look into that if you want to know, such info is available to gen public
I have been discussing this with Catholics for a long time. Noone could convince me that there is a meaning in the relation with God. Could you?
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

[" If animals can communicate what feeling is then why humans do not agree with its definition?
[/quote]

Bahma,

This is pretty wild statement, what makes you think that the morality of the dos and don'ts of an animal pack would be in disagreement with you? It really doesn't make sense does it.
bahman

Post by bahman »

popeye1945 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:51 pm
" If animals can communicate what feeling is then why humans do not agree with its definition?
Bahma,

This is pretty wild statement, what makes you think that the morality of the dos and don'ts of an animal pack would be in disagreement with you? It really doesn't make sense does it.
This is due to my experience of discussing with people for ages. Just read this thread to see how much people's opinions are different.