What is the meaning of life?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: What is the meaning of life?

Post by bahman »

RCSaunders wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:17 pm
bahman wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:08 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:13 am turritopsis dohrnii, a small jellyfish found in the Mediterranean and in the waters of Japan, is "immortal," but since it does not have to reproduce it is not alive,
Strange. I have never heard about such a thing. How do they come to be if they don't reproduce?
If evolution is correct every species originally came into existence without reproducing--there had to be a first.
How come? Are you saying all mammal species were originally asextual?
RCSaunders wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:17 pm The turritopisi dohrnil can reproduce sexually, but do not have to and could theoretically exist forever without reproducing.
Interesting.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

bahman wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:10 pm
bahman wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:08 pm
Strange. I have never heard about such a thing. How do they come to be if they don't reproduce?
If evolution is correct every species originally came into existence without reproducing--there had to be a first.
No, I'm saying the first horse that evolved couldn't have had horse parents, else it would not have been the first horse. The first horse could not have been, "reproduced," because it was the first produced.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

RCSaunders wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:31 am
bahman wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:10 pm
No, I'm saying the first horse that evolved couldn't have had horse parents, else it would not have been the first horse. The first horse could not have been, "reproduced," because it was the first produced.
Where the term 'evolution' is involved there is no question of 'the first' this or that. Else you will be entering theism's territory of insisting on the first cause.
The evolution of the horse, a mammal of the family Equidae, occurred over a geologic time scale of 50 million years, transforming the small, dog-sized,[1] forest-dwelling Eohippus into the modern horse.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_horse
Note the small changes and adaptions that occurred over 50 million years!!
bahman

Post by bahman »

DPMartin wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:59 pm
bahman wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:32 pm
DPMartin wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:12 pm

maybe you should look into that if you want to know, such info is available to gen public
I have been discussing this with Catholics for a long time. Noone could convince me that there is a meaning in the relation with God. Could you?
you're not that important. if you have an honest question fine, otherwise, again if you want to know, such info is available to gen public
Could you?
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

bahman wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:35 pm
bahman wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:32 pm
I have been discussing this with Catholics for a long time. Noone could convince me that there is a meaning in the relation with God. Could you?
you're not that important. if you have an honest question fine, otherwise, again if you want to know, such info is available to gen public
Could you?
if you mean the God of Israel in the name of Jesus Christ. i can field most questions.
bahman

Post by bahman »

DPMartin wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:36 pm

Could you?
if you mean the God of Israel in the name of Jesus Christ. i can field most questions.
Could you? How Jesus can give meaning to life?
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

bahman wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:42 pm
Could you?
though many say He does to encourage others but the reality is He came into the world to restore to the faithful the Life Adam and Eve originally had, which is a Life of Peace with man's Maker in the Presence of man's Maker. hence man is to walk in the Spirit of His Creator, and according to Jesus God is a Spirit.

don't get me wrong people can make up their own ideas in their own judgement of what the meaning of this life is, but all of that returns to the ground, you may have heard of "all is vanity". so that which is of God remains with God and that which is of the ground returns to the ground, you know, dust to dust. as I'm sure you know, all of this life is a losing proposition, you will loss everything either peace meal, or all at once but you will loss it all.
Last edited by DPMartin on Wed May 04, 2022 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bahman

Post by bahman »

DPMartin wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:58 pm

though many say He does to encourage others but the reality is He came into the world to restore the Life Adam and Eve originally had and lost to the faithful, which is a Life of Peace with man's Maker in the Presence of man's Maker. hence man is to walk in the Spirit of His Creator, and according to Jesus God is a Spirit.

don't get me wrong people can make up their own ideas in their own judgement of what the meaning of this life is, but all of that returns to the ground, you may have heard of "all is vanity". so that which is of God remains with God and that which is of the ground returns to the ground, you know, dust to dust.
I am not talking about peace between Adam, Eve, and God, given that the story is right. I am talking about meaning.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

bahman wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:01 pm
though many say He does to encourage others but the reality is He came into the world to restore the Life Adam and Eve originally had and lost to the faithful, which is a Life of Peace with man's Maker in the Presence of man's Maker. hence man is to walk in the Spirit of His Creator, and according to Jesus God is a Spirit.

don't get me wrong people can make up their own ideas in their own judgement of what the meaning of this life is, but all of that returns to the ground, you may have heard of "all is vanity". so that which is of God remains with God and that which is of the ground returns to the ground, you know, dust to dust.
I am not talking about peace between Adam, Eve, and God, given that the story is right. I am talking about meaning.
that would be to execute God's Judgements which is Life, in the earth. note Jesus healed, restored life even to the dead. He was executing God's Judgement in the earth. but to execute God's Judgement one must be aware of what that is, hence being in God's Presence or maybe better said walking in His Spirit.
bahman

Post by bahman »

DPMartin wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:06 pm

that would be to execute God's Judgements which is Life, in the earth. note Jesus healed, restored life even to the dead. He was executing God's Judgement in the earth. but to execute God's Judgement one must be aware of what that is, hence being in God's Presence or maybe better said walking in His Spirit.
So you are saying that being in the presence of God or walking in His spirit gives meaning to life?
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

bahman wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:40 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:59 pm The meaning of life is when one realizes that the physical world is utterly meaningless in the absence of a conscious subject, life, biology is then creator of all meaning, which it bestows upon the world at its discretion. Biological reaction to the physical world is your everyday reality/experience you are free to bestow what values you will.
How the consciousness can grant meaning to the life. The problem start with consciousness when you realize that something is missing.
You have hit the nail in the head there.

When you feel meaninglessness, you feel like something is missing, from YOU.

So, it stands to reason, that when you feel complete, that you have found the meaning you felt had been lost.

So, one should look for the one thing which gives a feeling of completion, which cannot be lost.

The problem is impermanence. Everything which depends on conditions and causes can cease to be. Chocolate cake can give a sense of completion, for maybe a second. Sex for maybe a few minutes.

Beyond that, what is there?

Some choose to live in constant striving, and call that meaning, yet, like the donkey with the carrot always just out of reach, they only fool themselves by kicking the can further and further down the road, not wanting to face the inevitable crash of motivation and everything which had previously kept them going.

One must find stability in instability. The only thing which can be relied on to provide any kind of inherent meaning, is awareness of awareness. Not as one’s identity, because, even that can go. But simply being aware of awareness.

Awareness can be nothing, and also everything. It can be the small self, and the large self. It can be emptiness. It can be god, Brahman, etc.

One does not need to acquire it. So one need not chase it.

It is complete self reliance, and therefore not dependent upon anything in the world of experience.

When one comes to rest, it is right here.

When one attempts to chase some goal, it remains always out of reach.

Meaninglessness is paradoxical in that, the thing one is searching for, one has never lost. Yet one is estranged from it, seemingly. So a search or question begins in the material world.

Once that search has been exhausted externally, the search naturally turns inwards. This natural turning is the very key to ending the struggle, yet, it can’t be done intentionally.

It is always the last place we look where we find what we were looking for. The only way out, is in.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Meaning is what occurs through experience of the physical world as an object to a conscious subject, it is the relation of subject and object but only the subject is a conscious experiencing agent, thus the subject is the only beholder of meaning. This necessarily infers that all meaning is a reaction to the physical world.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

bahman wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:20 pm
So you are saying that being in the presence of God or walking in His spirit gives meaning to life?
words have meaning, life is received, lived, and given, more like, has purpose then meaning.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Dimebag wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:57 pm
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:40 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:59 pm The meaning of life is when one realizes that the physical world is utterly meaningless in the absence of a conscious subject, life, biology is then creator of all meaning, which it bestows upon the world at its discretion. Biological reaction to the physical world is your everyday reality/experience you are free to bestow what values you will.
How the consciousness can grant meaning to the life. The problem start with consciousness when you realize that something is missing.
You have hit the nail in the head there.

When you feel meaninglessness, you feel like something is missing, from YOU.

So, it stands to reason, that when you feel complete, that you have found the meaning you felt had been lost.

So, one should look for the one thing which gives a feeling of completion, which cannot be lost.

The problem is impermanence. Everything which depends on conditions and causes can cease to be. Chocolate cake can give a sense of completion, for maybe a second. Sex for maybe a few minutes.
I don't think that the problem is the lack of permanence. Suppose you could eat chocolate cake forever and enjoy it. Does that give meaning to your life?
Dimebag wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:57 pm Beyond that, what is there?

Some choose to live in constant striving, and call that meaning, yet, like the donkey with the carrot always just out of reach, they only fool themselves by kicking the can further and further down the road, not wanting to face the inevitable crash of motivation and everything which had previously kept them going.

One must find stability in instability. The only thing which can be relied on to provide any kind of inherent meaning, is awareness of awareness. Not as one’s identity, because, even that can go. But simply being aware of awareness.

Awareness can be nothing, and also everything. It can be the small self, and the large self. It can be emptiness. It can be god, Brahman, etc.

One does not need to acquire it. So one need not chase it.

It is complete self reliance, and therefore not dependent upon anything in the world of experience.

When one comes to rest, it is right here.

When one attempts to chase some goal, it remains always out of reach.

Meaninglessness is paradoxical in that, the thing one is searching for, one has never lost. Yet one is estranged from it, seemingly. So a search or question begins in the material world.

Once that search has been exhausted externally, the search naturally turns inwards. This natural turning is the very key to ending the struggle, yet, it can’t be done intentionally.

It is always the last place we look where we find what we were looking for. The only way out, is in.
Have you ever found the meaning?
bahman

Post by bahman »

DPMartin wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:55 pm
bahman wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:20 pm

words have meaning, life is received, lived, and given, more like, has purpose then meaning.
That does not follow.