For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: Diversity

Post by Sculptor »

simplicity wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:10 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:57 pm
simplicity wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:11 pm
I live in the LA area and have worked with a great number of Hispanics and can tell you are absolutely wrong. Most folks like Hispanics because they are really nice people. Who they are against [Hispanic Americans included] are people of all types who enter our country illegally. I would think this would be the case everywhere else in the world, as well.
Living in America is like being blind living in the same room as a massive elephant. each of you only feel one part.
But in reality the US elephant is a racist elephant. Possibly the worst racism anywhere in the world can be found there.
Good metaphor...really poor application.

You need to turn off CNN. I would bet there is less racism in the U.S. then there is anywhere else in the world. If that wasn't the case, why do so many people still want to come here? What other country would you do better being a person of color? What kind of research have you done or personal experience do you have with racism in America?
I do not watch CNN. I have lived in the US and it is institutionally and culturally racist.
If you do not know that they you only have the elephant by the tail.
Why do people want to come here?
Why do people want to go anywhere?
Often it is because the US has blown the fuck out of their own country, or destroyed it with economic tariffs, sanctions and other power plays such as land grabs, and political intrigue.
And the impression most people get of the US is via Hollywood, which paints a rosey glow of the AMerican "dream" (nightmare).
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

'Institutional racism' i.e. another meaningless bullshit term used by wankers. 'Oh, there seem to be a dispropotionate number of 'persons of colour' in prison. This is because of 'institutional racism' and has nothing whatever to do with the fact that they possibly committed crimes that got them put in prison'. Blah blah blah.... How exactly does this 'institutional racism' work?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

simplicity wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:37 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:54 pm
simplicity wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:16 pm
Most folks don't have a clue.
But they vote. How's that for scary.
It's not scary at all. Most people know essentially what's good for them and their family and can pick the lesser evil. It's the highly educated folks I worry about. Look at the garbage the Ivy League has been dumping on the world over the past fifty years. Corruption...corruption...and more corruption [not even to mention all the woke idiocy]. You could stuff all the ethical Harvard grads [over that period] in a small phone booth.
You're scary too. If you can say with a straight face, "can pick the lesser of two evils," as though that were a good thing, you are without a clue. The lesser of two evils is evil.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:08 am
Sculptor wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:57 pm

Living in America is like being blind living in the same room as a massive elephant. each of you only feel one part.
But in reality the US elephant is a racist elephant. Possibly the worst racism anywhere in the world can be found there.

You need to turn off CNN. I would bet there is less racism in the U.S. then there is anywhere else in the world. If that wasn't the case, why do so many people still want to come here? What other country would you do better being a person of color? What kind of research have you done or personal experience do you have with racism in America?
I do not watch CNN. I have lived in the US and it is institutionally and culturally racist.
Often it is because the US has blown the fuck out of their own country, or destroyed it with economic tariffs, sanctions and other power plays such as land grabs, and political intrigue.
And the impression most people get of the US is via Hollywood, which paints a rosey glow of the AMerican "dream" (nightmare).
You really believe that people around the world come to the U.S. because of Hollywood? Come on. Hollywood hates the U.S. and has since the 70's. It's totally left-wing. People come here because there is [was] freedom. Unfortunately, the corporate-state is slowly but surely doing away with such because it interferes with their Utopian plans for everyone, but even despite doing nearly everything in their power to destroy the middle class, folks still see greater opportunity here than anywhere else on the planet.

And as far as destroying other countries, I am not sure the U.S. could favorably compare to previous empires in that department including your own which did unspeakable things home and abroad.

BTW, I'd rather have a helping of your anger with well-thought-out responses than your new-found politeness with a side of lame rhetoric.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:13 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:54 pm
But they vote. How's that for scary.
It's not scary at all. Most people know essentially what's good for them and their family and can pick the lesser evil. It's the highly educated folks I worry about. Look at the garbage the Ivy League has been dumping on the world over the past fifty years. Corruption...corruption...and more corruption [not even to mention all the woke idiocy]. You could stuff all the ethical Harvard grads [over that period] in a small phone booth.
You're scary too. If you can say with a straight face, "can pick the lesser of two evils," as though that were a good thing, you are without a clue. The lesser of two evils is evil.
There's nothing new under the sun when it comes to politics, is there? Being a philosophical anarchist, it's hard to see politics in any other light [or shadow].

You hope you're alive during a period when the sine wave for corruption is at a minimum. Unfortunately, it seems quite the opposite at the moment.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

simplicity wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:09 pm

You really believe that people around the world come to the U.S. because of Hollywood? Come on. Hollywood hates the U.S. and has since the 70's. It's totally left-wing.
What has left wing got to do with it?? That is laughable.
Where do you think people learn about the US.
Are you so stupid?
People come here because there is [was] freedom.
You are totally clueless. It s really hard to get a green card. Most people come from the South through Mexico which is at the mercy of the economy of the US. The US has bought off the governments of S America and any who try to to assert economic independence have to suffer with economic sanctions, or coups by the CIA.
You are pathetically ignorant of the activities of your own country. The US is great at imposing right wing dictatorships and funding media campaigns against left leaning parties by interfering in elections.
You are so naive, it is untrue.

Unfortunately, the corporate-state is slowly but surely doing away with such because it interferes with their Utopian plans for everyone, but even despite doing nearly everything in their power to destroy the middle class, folks still see greater opportunity here than anywhere else on the planet.

And as far as destroying other countries, I am not sure the U.S. could favorably compare to previous empires in that department including your own which did unspeakable things home and abroad.
Whataboutery!!
:roll:

BTW, I'd rather have a helping of your anger with well-thought-out responses than your new-found politeness with a side of lame rhetoric.
That is the price of freedumb
vegetariantaxidermy

simplicity wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:09 pm

You really believe that people around the world come to the U.S. because of Hollywood? Come on. Hollywood hates the U.S. and has since the 70's. It's totally left-wing. People come here because there is [was] freedom. Unfortunately, the corporate-state is slowly but surely doing away with such because it interferes with their Utopian plans for everyone, but even despite doing nearly everything in their power to destroy the middle class, folks still see greater opportunity here than anywhere else on the planet.

''Hollywood hates the US'', ''Hollywood is left wing''. I will leave you to work out how idiotic those comments are.
Btw, it's not possible to be both intelligent and right wing. Nothing in the right wing world view makes any logical sense.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:25 pm What has left wing got to do with it?? That is laughable.
Where do you think people learn about the US.
Are you so stupid?
That's the Sculptor we all know and [tolerate].

The left is doing what all cultural revolutionists attempt to do...re-write history [see Mao]. The 1619 Project in the U.S. is a perfect example.
Sculptor wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:25 pmYou are totally clueless. It s really hard to get a green card. Most people come from the South through Mexico which is at the mercy of the economy of the US. The US has bought off the governments of S America and any who try to to assert economic independence have to suffer with economic sanctions, or coups by the CIA.
You are pathetically ignorant of the activities of your own country. The US is great at imposing right wing dictatorships and funding media campaigns against left leaning parties by interfering in elections.
You are so naive, it is untrue.
There is a lot of truth to what you say but that's just part of the story. The other part is that the U.S. is attempting to deal with the demographic reality which is having [going to have] a profound effect on many countries moving forward [Europe, Japan, and China, in particular]. Since natives in many countries are no longer reproducing themselves at replacement levels, this is not so wonderful for their economies and is the largest factor affecting immigration globally.

The U.S. has severely turned left over the past fifty years. First in Academia, then in the MSM and culture, and finally on the political front with the election of all the globalists [Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, and now Biden (who is barely a puppet)]. This has already begun to change as the global system breaks down and the U.S. turns inward. Everybody in this country has had it with these morons!

Europe is in for some tough sledding because you're going to be on your own during the coming retrenchment. Whether this transition period is marked by major war or not [probably will be], the U.S. [Western hemisphere, anyway] is going to be the place to be. Be it the least dirty shirt in the laundry, we can still recover quickly due to all the things that make us what we are [geography, arable land, most energy resources, two oceans and two friendly countries bordering, highest levels of research and technology, best schools, on and on and on...
Last edited by simplicity on Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:28 pm 'Hollywood hates the US'', ''Hollywood is left wing''. I will leave you to work out how idiotic those comments are.
Btw, it's not possible to be both intelligent and right wing. Nothing in the right wing world view makes any logical sense.
I don't really know anybody who is "right-wing."

You might not believe it, but it is true. You check out what Disney's agenda is for the young people of the world?

Hollywood is probably one of the most leftist thinking places in California. But, of course, like all good leftists, the "solutions" only apply to other people. They can't be bothered with such as they roll up to their mansions in all the familiar places in LA and contemplate their much anticipated future purchases.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

simplicity wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:15 pm
There's nothing new under the sun when it comes to politics, is there? Being a philosophical anarchist, it's hard to see politics in any other light [or shadow].

You hope you're alive during a period when the sine wave for corruption is at a minimum. Unfortunately, it seems quite the opposite at the moment.
I have no objection to anyone believing government is the solution to all their problem, or their working for them, or promoting them. I am not an anarchist. Governments are inevitable so long as the great mass of people believe they have claims on things they never earned or produced by their own effort and that some agency of force can produce the kind of society they think will provide all those free goodies.

They will all be disappointed and all governments will always be oppressive, and so long as there are governments there will be wars and those who have supported and voted for them will suffer the consequences. But you and they asked for them. There are no innocent victims of government oppression and atrocities.

I don't really care what any government does. I know what they are and no part of my life depends in any way on what any government does or does not do. It's a difficult and often risky life and definitely not for everyone, but it is the only life an individual who prizes his own life, integrity, and virtue, above all other thing, who will settle for nothing less than achieving and being the best human being he can be finds worth living.

If you, or anyone, is willing to settle for a life dependent on a government or some other agency to make a society in which you think your life will be worth living, I have no objection. It won't work, and I'm sure you'll spend whatever life is possible to you under such conditions, always trying to change that government and always complaining about what is wrong with it, but it's what you asked for.
vegetariantaxidermy

simplicity wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:43 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:28 pm 'Hollywood hates the US'', ''Hollywood is left wing''. I will leave you to work out how idiotic those comments are.

That's very funny. You talk about 'left wing' in a derrogatory way a lot, therefore you must be acquainted with 'right wing'. So what you are saying is that you are 'left wing'? Or are you saying that there is a 'left wing' but no 'right wing'? What a fuckwit.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:47 pm

I have no objection to anyone believing government is the solution to all their problem, or their working for them, or promoting them. I am not an anarchist. Governments are inevitable so long as the great mass of people believe they have claims on things they never earned or produced by their own effort and that some agency of force can produce the kind of society they think will provide all those free goodies.

They will all be disappointed and all governments will always be oppressive, and so long as there are governments there will be wars and those who have supported and voted for them will suffer the consequences. But you and they asked for them. There are no innocent victims of government oppression and atrocities.

I don't really care what any government does. I know what they are and no part of my life depends in any way on what any government does or does not do. It's a difficult and often risky life and definitely not for everyone, but it is the only life an individual who prizes his own life, integrity, and virtue, above all other thing, who will settle for nothing less than achieving and being the best human being he can be finds worth living.

If you, or anyone, is willing to settle for a life dependent on a government or some other agency to make a society in which you think your life will be worth living, I have no objection. It won't work, and I'm sure you'll spend whatever life is possible to you under such conditions, always trying to change that government and always complaining about what is wrong with it, but it's what you asked for.
Thinking you are completely independent from the government's sledge hammer seems rather naive. It might be similar to those who believe they can be insulated from market forces. We are all part of the whole [as distasteful as that might seem]. You sure sound like a philosophical anarchist to me but who cares about labels. I believe we can probably agree on 99% of all things governmental.

I do care what governments do [in much more than the abstract] because it can [and does] have a profound effect on the quality of my life. Again, no man is an island. Spiritually, I am able to keep my distance but you can see the profound effect that the corporate/government coalition has had on individuals. In my own field of medicine, this change over the forty plus years I have been in practice has been astounding. And nobody I know asked for any of it.

Yes, government is what it is, but [as you well understand] there are degrees of such. You could have 19th century American government or 20th century Nazi Germany government. Although I only voted once, I still recognize that allowing perfection to be the enemy of the good is a very easy trap to fall into when idealism often colors one's world.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:14 pm

That's very funny. You talk about 'left wing' in a derrogatory way a lot, therefore you must be acquainted with 'right wing'. So what you are saying is that you are 'left wing'? Or are you saying that there is a 'left wing' but no 'right wing'? What a fuckwit.
Your adolescent language is pretty typical of left-wing folks these days. That's one of the ways everybody knows.

I know conservative and liberal people but nobody I would characterize as right-wing.

How would you define somebody who is right-wing?
vegetariantaxidermy

simplicity wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:37 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:14 pm

Your adolescent language is pretty typical of left-wing folks these days. That's one of the ways everybody knows.

I know conservative and liberal people but nobody I would characterize as right-wing.

How would you define somebody who is right-wing?
How would you define someone who is left wing? (Btw, you calling someone 'adolescent' is pretty rich. 'Somebody', 'folks'? :lol: )
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

simplicity wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:31 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:47 pm

Thinking you are completely independent from the government's sledge hammer seems rather naive.
It would be naive. No one ids independent of any aspect of reality which includes all that is, including all governments and cultures in the world, and like all other aspects of reality, one must learn what they are and how to deal with them. One must learn how to avoid the threats that exist in this world, both natural and man-made. Government is just one of them.
simplicity wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:15 pm You sure sound like a philosophical anarchist to me but who cares about labels.
Apparently you do, you've used that one twice. I don't care if you want to label me that, I usually called much worse. But an anarchist is someone who opposes government ideologically and is usually promoted with an agenda, which I definitely do not have.
simplicity wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:15 pm I do care what governments do [in much more than the abstract] because it can [and does] have a profound effect on the quality of my life. Again, no man is an island. Spiritually, I am able to keep my distance but you can see the profound effect that the corporate/government coalition has had on individuals. In my own field of medicine, this change over the forty plus years I have been in practice has been astounding. And nobody I know asked for any of it.
I know why people embrace governments. Most do, just as you have. I never expect others to have my view of government.
simplicity wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:15 pm Yes, government is what it is, but [as you well understand] there are degrees of such. You could have 19th century American government or 20th century Nazi Germany government. Although I only voted once, I still recognize that allowing perfection to be the enemy of the good is a very easy trap to fall into when idealism often colors one's world.
All social/political ideologies are idealistic.