nihilism

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

popeye1945

Re: nihilism

Post by popeye1945 »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:15 am
Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:29 am
popeye1945 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:09 amPeople who are totally engaged with life tend not to think too deeply.
Which is why I'm almost tempted to say, the solution for people who are lamenting over the struggle to find meaning in life is to find out how to have fun, how to "totally engage". As shallow as it sounds, it may actually work.
Fun is not what we need to be producing.
To be engaged with life is.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

popeye1945 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:20 am

Which is why I'm almost tempted to say, the solution for people who are lamenting over the struggle to find meaning in life is to find out how to have fun, how to "totally engage". As shallow as it sounds, it may actually work.
To be engaged with life is.
Yes.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

popeye1945 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:09 amPeople who are totally engaged with life tend not to think too deeply.
Why not?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:58 am

Why not?
I see. However, what I see is in my mind's eye not my physical eyes and it is not what anyone ought to see. I don't wish such visions on anyone. I will not release them into the world. I will take them to my own grave if that is the right thing to do just so no one else has to experience them. Is that the right thing to do? Or does everyone else already also see what I am seeing in my imagination? Is it only my "imagination" that sees these things?
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:22 pm
Are you replying to the right thing?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:32 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:22 pm
Are you replying to the right thing?
I don't know.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Fun and totally engage are broad and probably vague concepts but if you can find activities that you yearn to get back to, that's huge. They've found that nature, friendship, close relationships in general, work we get satisfaction from (so probably activities you really enjoy and or find meaning, all lead to better health. Unfortunately the go to thing these days is drugs.

Thinking deeply might allow some people to totally engage. But rumination is another story.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

How could we help gary have fun? If someone said to you, "I don't know what I find fun", how do you help them find out what's fun for them?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:52 pm How could we help gary have fun? If someone said to you, "I don't know what I find fun", how do you help them find out what's fun for them?
At this point, fun is a distant hope that I cannot even aspire to. I will be happy just to succeed in getting the horrible visions I'm having out of my mind. And if they are not just in my mind, then I will be happy that they get out of reality.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:55 pm
Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:52 pm How could we help gary have fun? If someone said to you, "I don't know what I find fun", how do you help them find out what's fun for them?
At this point, fun is a distant hope that I cannot even aspire to. I will be happy just to succeed in getting the horrible visions I'm having out of my mind. And if they are not just in my mind, then I will be happy that they get out of reality.
Is this genuine? I'm not certain if it's a joke or not.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:57 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:55 pm
Is this genuine? I'm not certain if it's a joke or not.
It is NO joke nor meant to be a joke on my part. I can assure you of that. All I can say is that what is in my visions must not be real. Or if it is real then it must stop.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:00 pm It is NO joke nor meant to be a joke on my part. I can assure you of that. All I can say is that what is in my visions must not be real. Or if it is real then it must stop.
I wish I could help you, but I'm not a professional in that regard. Do you have access to real professional help? If not, is there something you could do to get access to it?

You're a veteran, right?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

From what I see below it seems like triage would look into these visions. I don't know what these are hallucinations, PTSD memories, psychic phenomena. I don't see us getting into that area with him online (not assuming in the least he'd want it). So, as you say, with professionals he can see in person.

But in general to find out what one finds fun/engaging....
What have you enjoyed doing?
When was a time when you were so engrossed in a positive way that you lost track of time?
Are there places you think of that you associate with happiness or being engaged? What did you do there?
Do you have skills you enjoy using? What are they? What are some options for applying them?
What is something you've always want to try? Why?
Is there something you would like to study? Why and how?
If you could learn a particular skill what would it be? What could you imagine apprenticing in?
Are there things you have enjoyed, think you would enjoy, but you balk at doing them because of social concerns, financial concerns, other concerns?
(then you can potentially do CBT or find alternative ways of doing these things or deal with phobias slowly or find cheaper ways of doing things or similar things that are less expensive and so on)

I'm sure anyone is capable of coming up with such questions on their own, but when it's done with another person, friend of professional, blind spots, assumptions, options can be found that might not have been found otherwise.
Last edited by Iwannaplato on Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Gary, what kind of support system or even family do you have for support? Remember that what is real is biological interpretation so something is awry, perhaps it is just a chemical imbalance, at any rate you shouldn't be facing this alone, don't be too proud to ask for help otherwise it could be your demise. Are some of these flashbacks? I take it you've tried various medications but have not found the right one or ones, it is probable that it is chemistry. WOW, man, I wish I could be there for you, but it is totally unreasonable if you're facing this alone. You are an intelligent guy, you know you need help, don't try to bear it alone.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:02 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:00 pm It is NO joke nor meant to be a joke on my part. I can assure you of that. All I can say is that what is in my visions must not be real. Or if it is real then it must stop.
I wish I could help you, but I'm not a professional in that regard. Do you have access to real professional help? If not, is there something you could do to get access to it?

You're a veteran, right?
No. I am not a veteran.