Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: Why is slavery wrong?

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:57 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:38 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:05 pm
That's like saying, "People are totally dry if they're wet."

If he's free, then by definition, he's not a slave.

If he's a slave, then by definition, he's not free.
If you have to pay for something it’s not free.

Life comes at a price.
Tu dis n'importe quoi.
Your a slave to your emotions that’s all.

How do you know your dog doesn’t secretly hate you, and that it has a real sense of the Stockholm syndrome being in human captivity, after all, it’s still a wild animal at its basic core, else it wouldn’t be peeing up the nearest lamp-post or against someone’s car wheels, or dry humping your guests when they come to visit.

Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:25 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:57 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:38 pm

If you have to pay for something it’s not free.

Life comes at a price.
Tu dis n'importe quoi.
Your a slave to your emotions that’s all.

How do you know your dog doesn’t secretly hate you, and that it has a real sense of the Stockholm syndrome being in human captivity, after all, it’s still a wild animal at its basic core, else it wouldn’t be peeing up the nearest lamp-post or against someone’s car wheels, or dry humping your guests when they come to visit.
Tu dis n'importe quoi encore un fois.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

une fois

😂
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:58 pm une fois

😂
Exactement. D'accord.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:08 am🤔

I think you should be enslaved because you are a waste of space, and I might be able to put you to some use.
I'm sure you don't mind!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:15 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:08 am🤔

I think you should be enslaved because you are a waste of space, and I might be able to put you to some use.
I'm sure you don't mind!
and I think your personhood ought be revoked (cuz it's just a legalism, not an inherency, right?): that way your parts can be used to keep worthwhile folks, in need of transplants, alive

and: I'm against slavery, and I've explained why

your turn, if you can (which you can't, so you won't)
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

I am fully willing to sell myself into slavery at 10 millions dollars if I have an option to buy my way out at 5 million. However, I would like first to assign my personhood to an off-shore trust -- this will involve about 20 thousand dollars of legal work which I will be happy to pay -- before any money changes hands. Then please make the check out to the trust . . .
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:40 am What's the difference between forcing someone to work and produce for you (slavery) and simply confiscating what someone has produced on their own (taxes). Aren't they both theft?

yep

Can you be against slavery and for taxes?

not if you understand slavery and taxation are the same, you can't
You do not have to pay taxes.
You can always leave the country. But whilst you are here , enjoying the protection from the poilce and armed services; and whilst you use the roads and benefit from a massive host of legal and health& safety protections though the legal system you are going to have to pay your fucking taxes.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:14 pm I am fully willing to sell myself into slavery at 10 millions dollars if I have an option to buy my way out at 5 million.
We're only talking about chattel slavery, Alexis.

You're mixing in the idea of indentured servitude...not at all the same thing. For one thing, there is no "price" paid to a chattel slave...any money exchanges hands between owner and buyer, and the slave sees none of it.

But you probably knew that.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

How many of you would willingly change places with women, men or children that are forced into sex trafficking, or change places willingly with women and children who are forced to marry someone without their consent or against their will and how many of you individuals on this forum would change places with human beings who are forced to work under the threat of violence and for no pay.

I am guessing not one of you would change places with any of the above, (willingly, that is).
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

reasonvemotion wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:38 pm How many of you would willingly change places with women, men or children that are forced into sex trafficking, or change places willingly with women and children who are forced to marry someone without their consent or against their will and how many of you individuals on this forum would change places with human beings who are forced to work under the threat of violence and for no pay.

I am guessing not one of you would change places with any of the above, (willingly, that is).
Relevance to the question? I can see none.

The question is, "Why is (chattel, i.e. involuntary, forced) slavery wrong (i.e. for the enslaver to do).

Nobody asked if slaves "like" it...of course they don't. That's dead obvious.

But if you're going to say their unhappiness with it constituted proof for the moral wrongness of it, you're going to have to explain why we should think that's so. How do you get that correlation?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:52 pm The question is, "Why is (chattel, i.e. involuntary, forced) slavery wrong (i.e. for the enslaver to do).
Has anyone here yet sufficiently given you an answer to the question?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

you are going to have to pay your fucking taxes

nope
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Has anyone here yet sufficiently given you an answer to the question?

yep
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

The question is, "Why is (chattel, i.e. involuntary, forced) slavery wrong (i.e. for the enslaver to do).

no: that's your overkill version

mine: Why is slavery wrong?