For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: Why is slavery wrong?

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:42 am
Sculptor wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:31 pm
Gosh unusually verbose.
It’s a Fredrick Douglass influence from the past caused by transmissions he was receiving from his future and adapting for his time.

In other words, Douglass was in the thick of slavery, so since you’re interested in who knows slaves and how many, read some of his speeches and get to know his mind a bit. Like a real historian would do. Then you can post some mature and relevant commentary that is well within your capacity to do so, while remaining on high alert for new and perhaps surprising insights that could challenge a lifetime of buttressing the known, that is, unless paradigm protections have grown too dense and impenetrable* for objectivity to shine through, in which case new insights won't get past the sneer or the leer, and into the noggin.

* It's an age-related condition called ossification that keeps the noggin from exploding.
More verbal diareah
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:47 am
attofishpi wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:51 am
Sculptor wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:34 pm

:lol: :lol:
You DO know that you are quoting yourself??
:lol:
I am getting confused by this entire page pretty much - is Walker actually Henry Quirk (when stoned) ?
Not sure if they are the same person, but they might as well be. You can't get a Rizla between them. They should just get a room together.
jealous bitches are the worst
Walker

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:10 pm Walker,

How is it that folks who have it so much better than miserable slaves, are more miserable than slaves?

It's easier to be defiant (and isn't that really what hope is?) when the obstacle or enemy is obvious.

The spiritual-singin' slave had no doubts about his circumstance: he knew his obstacle and enemy.
:thumbsup:

From another angle, I’d say a source of creative solace for the enslaved is just knowing there must be a better world somewhere, and the knowing is inherent to human biology, although scientists who have not isolated the final cause of the inherency can toss the details of particulars into the dark-matter file until things get sorted out … and the way I figure it, if the expert scientist has access to that leniency, so can we* average folks.

* Is the proper grammar we, or us?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:16 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:47 am
attofishpi wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:51 am

I am getting confused by this entire page pretty much - is Walker actually Henry Quirk (when stoned) ?
Not sure if they are the same person, but they might as well be. You can't get a Rizla between them. They should just get a room together.
jealous bitches are the worst
Oh you beeatch
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Walker wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:26 pm
henry quirk wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:10 pm Walker,

How is it that folks who have it so much better than miserable slaves, are more miserable than slaves?

It's easier to be defiant (and isn't that really what hope is?) when the obstacle or enemy is obvious.

The spiritual-singin' slave had no doubts about his circumstance: he knew his obstacle and enemy.
:thumbsup:

From another angle, I’d say a source of creative solace for the enslaved is just knowing there must be a better world somewhere, and the knowing is inherent to human biology, although scientists who have not isolated the final cause of the inherency can toss the details of particulars into the dark-matter file until things get sorted out … and the way I figure it, if the expert scientist has access to that leniency, so can we* average folks.

* Is the proper grammar we, or us?
As I say: a person knows he is his own, knows it's wrong for another to treat him as property. When the slaver is obvious, a man can focus his defiance. Today, though, a person is come at from all directions, half a million voices tellin' him what to do, what to think, what value, what to abhor (it's the tyranny of we). You gotta get out to the edge of the crowd to stop bein' pushed around by the crowd, and -- when you do -- you discover the crowd is just another slaver.

*hell if I know
Walker

Post by Walker »

Interesting. Peer-pressure becomes the slaver.
Too many choices can cause confusion.

Three possibilities with peer-pressure enslavement:
- Be the slaver; apply the pressure.
- Adopt the slaver’s premise; be enslaved.
- Be peerless: apart from, part of.

(Six words enslave each provocative statement.)

:|
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Walker wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:44 pm Interesting. *Peer-pressure becomes the slaver.
Too many choices can cause confusion.

Three possibilities with peer-pressure enslavement:
- Be the slaver; apply the pressure.
- Adopt the slaver’s premise; be enslaved.
- **Be peerless: apart from, part of.

(Six words enslave each provocative statement.)

:|
*Well, more like a tool of the slaver.

**Seems like the sensible thing to do and be.