What is the point of Higher Education?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: What is the point of Higher Education?

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:40 pm
Facts.
Evidence.
So: let's see it.
Intelligent people are not so obsessed with wealth and power; megalomaniacs are.
Can I please see the facts & evidence?
The state and both main parties are both right wing
Can I please see the facts & evidence?
You seem to lack basic processing skills.
Facts? Evidence?
Henry, evidence is not usually required when the claim is common knowledge.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

And as for psychopathy predicting high in business..

Hare reports that about 1 percent of the general population meets the clinical criteria for psychopathy. Hare further claims that the prevalence of psychopaths is higher in the business world than in the general population. Figures of around 3–4% have been cited for more senior positions in business.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopat ... 20business.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:40 pm
Facts.
Evidence.
This is the face which I see in your comments
Face
Face
Capture.JPG (25.78 KiB) Viewed 534 times

https://www.psypost.org/2019/09/people- ... inds-54369
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

And here is a perfect example of some right wing morons..

Ever heard of RINO Hunting??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A8Cpea77Dw
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

And as we should expect it is the RED states that abuse free speech, support Big Food to the detriment of the health of the people..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzX1QTSSw88
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Henry, evidence is not usually required when the claim is common knowledge.
I dispute that...

(M)ore intelligent people are left wing.

(T)here are proportionally more Theists in prison than on the outside.

Intelligent people are not so obsessed with wealth and power; megalomaniacs are.

The state and both main parties are both right wing

(I) seem to lack basic processing skills.

These are, I believe, prejudices, not knowledge.

However, as sculptor was so kind as to provide links, I'll give his evidence a look-see.

Gimme time and I'll give you my conclusions later in the day.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

You don't need stats to confirm this one, Henry. C'mon dude tighten up. Shirley more than three quarters of prison inmates are religious of some variety or another. Whereas on the street we might find only five eighths of the population to be theists.

While there are less theists in prison than on the street, proportionately there are more theists in prison.

You don't need hard data or even some time in prison to figure this one out Haus.

In fact I knew two atheists in six years of jail/prison time. These among thousands of inmates.

And as far as the intelligence test for conservatives and liberals, a single YouTube video of a conservative or group of conservatives saying or complaining about anything in either a random interview on the street or at some organized rally/event, is enough to conclude that the great majority of conservatives must be idiots... if these are a trustworthy sample of the conservative community. And they most certainly are.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

You don't need stats to confirm this one, Henry. C'mon dude tighten up. Shirley more than three quarters of prison inmates are religious of some variety or another. Whereas on the street we might find only five eighths of the population to be theists.

While there are less theists in prison than on the street, proportionately there are more theists in prison.

You don't need hard data or even some time in prison to figure this one out Haus.
There's a context (really, read the thread before pipin' in)...
(I said) I reckon there are more jailhouse conversions, yeah. Doesn't seem to me, though, theists are more likely to go to the hoosegow (which is what (sculptor) seem(s) to be sayin') than non-theists.
And as far as the intelligence test for conservatives and liberals, a single YouTube video of a conservative or group of conservatives saying or complaining about anything in either a random interview on the street or at some organized rally/event, is enough to conclude that the great majority of conservatives must be idiots... *if these are a trustworthy sample of the conservative community. And they most certainly are.
*they're not...I could post scores of utube pieces wherein commies such as yourself come across as utter morons...if I did, would you accept those clips as trustworthy samples? I reckon not. How quick you are to eat propaganda (from your own side).

Me: i find you all on both sides a bit limited.
Walker

Post by Walker »

These days in the US, the point of higher education is to shape talent into the corporate man. For example, in higher education, engineering students are taught to work as a team, ideally composed of various talents and academic aptitudes based on academic performance. The corporate man being shaped like academic tendrils sunk into clay, becomes a pack animal. In the corporate hive culture of hierarchy, one could call it a socialized system, even a creative wolf such as Musk can find a niche within the formal and informal corporate matrix, if he be clever enough.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

I fervently disagree. let's take a sample group each from the millennial generation. The only moron liberals from that sample group will almost exclusively be uneducated lower class democrat black peoples, while the smartest will almost exclusively consist of Caucasian and Asian peoples with average to above intelligences.

On the other side, the smallest minority of intelligent conservatives would be folks from the boomer generation who could hold a legitimate conversation about the principles of free market for longer than sixty seconds. The rest of the conservative population of the voting millennial generation are usually either affluent white bourgeoisie or backwood protestant redneck racists who are too stupid to not only not recognize they're being underpaid at their job driving a forklift all day, but are also proud of having the opportunity to drive a forklift at all. I mean it's the quintessential plebian ethos par excellence. You can't find a dummy dummer than a conservative dummy. Granted, each side produces dummies, as I've conceded, but a conservative dummy is a special breed of dummy.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:04 pm These days in the US, the point of higher education is to shape talent into the corporate man. For example, in higher education, engineering students are taught to work as a team, ideally composed of various talents and academic aptitudes based on academic performance. The corporate man being shaped like academic tendrils sunk into clay, becomes a pack animal. In the corporate hive culture of hierarchy, one could call it a socialized system, even a creative wolf such as Musk can find a niche within the formal and informal corporate matrix, if he be clever enough.
And what is your personal experience of higher education?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

promethean75 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:21 pm You don't need stats to confirm this one, Henry. C'mon dude tighten up. Shirley more than three quarters of prison inmates are religious of some variety or another. Whereas on the street we might find only five eighths of the population to be theists.
Being religious and converting to religion looks better to parole boards. Presenting oneself as religious can help you in these situations. Further, prisoners see a box with Christian say, and check that off. They grew up in a Christian household, they are white Christians nominally. I think it's unlikely most of the murderers, bank robbers and rapists are theists or would even recognize that word.

Then there are race and class issues. Blacks are more religious than whites as are latinos. They are also more likely to end up in prison, since things like the drug war have been aimed at those groups. The poor are also more likely to turn to crime, at least the crimes that get you into prison. And the poor tend to be more religious or identify in a mechanical way with a religious category. This doesn't mean they believe in God.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:18 pm
promethean75 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:21 pm You don't need stats to confirm this one, Henry. C'mon dude tighten up. Shirley more than three quarters of prison inmates are religious of some variety or another. Whereas on the street we might find only five eighths of the population to be theists.
Being religious and converting to religion looks better to parole boards. Presenting oneself as religious can help you in these situations. Further, prisoners see a box with Christian say, and check that off. They grew up in a Christian household, they are white Christians nominally. I think it's unlikely most of the murderers, bank robbers and rapists are theists or would even recognize that word.

Then there are race and class issues. Blacks are more religious than whites as are latinos. They are also more likely to end up in prison, since things like the drug war have been aimed at those groups. The poor are also more likely to turn to crime, at least the crimes that get you into prison. And the poor tend to be more religious or identify in a mechanical way with a religious category. This doesn't mean they believe in God.
Racism and classism as a justification for ignorance.
How low can you go?