What is the point of Higher Education?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: What is the point of Higher Education?

Post by Skepdick »

Belinda wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:53 pm "Fuck up" meaning sorrow, pain, or loss is common to everyone from birth to death. Education in the humanities helps people to find a variety of narratives that explain and so help to map out a way ahead.
Narratives/explanations only pacify us. You can always construct a post-facto justification - that's trivial and natural, but not optimal.

The way ahead necessarily needs to incorporate a step in which you ask yourself "What could have I done differently? Was it in my control to prevent this outcome?". Some times the answer is no. Some times it's yes.

Retrospection. Introspection. Self-correction. That's learning.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:57 pm
Belinda wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:53 pm "Fuck up" meaning sorrow, pain, or loss is common to everyone from birth to death. Education in the humanities helps people to find a variety of narratives that explain and so help to map out a way ahead.
Narratives/explanations only pacify us. You can always construct a post-facto justification - that's trivial and natural, but not optimal.

The way ahead necessarily needs to incorporate a step in which you ask yourself "What could have I done differently? Was it in my control to prevent this outcome?". Some times the answer is no. Some times it's yes.

Retrospection. Introspection. Self-correction. That's learning.

Maybe so but there is nothing but narratives, unless you believe in the correspondence theory of truth.

"Post-facto justifications " is not fair, as many people try very hard to find out the best or most probable explanation. Some explanations are better than others for several reasons: they work better: they are statistically more significant: they save more lives and make for more happiness: they make more time for fun by plumping for traditions over innovations: they are better for saving one's creative soul.

Indeed we do learn from experience whenever possible.Vicarious experiences when presented by a great artist are experiences too.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Belinda wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:53 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:15 am
Sculptor wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:07 am You would not know because it is outside your experience.
No, it isn't, but I guess they have to explain things to you more than once in Higher Education?

When you have contact with reality you learn the first time you fuck up.
"Fuck up" meaning sorrow, pain, or loss is common to everyone from birth to death. Education in the humanities helps people to find a variety of narratives that explain and so help to map out a way ahead.

Some lucky people are fortunate in having a real life mentor, and religious people have a ready-made Mentor, but for most of us we have recourse to stories from fairy tales to Shakespeare.
Indeed.
It's not as if students are in some sort of test tube.
Completing a course of higher education can be much harder than just going out and getting a job.
Many students have to work as well as study.
But I guess anyone who has studied in Higher education would know that! :D
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:50 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:40 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:15 am
No, it isn't, but I guess they have to explain things to you more than once in Higher Education?

When you have contact with reality you learn the first time you fuck up.
Please refer to the posts I made above.
👆that's what they teach in Higher Education it seems :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keep guessing
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:39 pm Keep guessing
It's no use guessing unless you test your predictions against reality.

They teach that in Higher Education, but you actually need to practice it to understand it.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:45 pm

:D :D :D
Duh fucking duh
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:49 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:45 pm

:D :D :D
Duh fucking duh
There you are saying it.

And there you are still not doing it in practice.

You are still in your Higher Education safe space. Afraid to be wrong. Shame.
Annette Campbell

Post by Annette Campbell »

If you think higher education is important or beneficial then get it otherwise don't, how simple is that right. But In it's better to get it than not. Higher education [mytutorsource.qa/blog/the-5-best-european-countries-for-education/] is more than just attending classes and taking exams It isn’t just about earning a degree. Higher education is about learning new ways of thinking and acquiring problem-solving skills. Plus In real life, we may not learn as much in a few years as we can learn through higher education. You are asked to reason outside of your comfort zone. Students are taught to engage in critical thinking as an individual and member of a classroom. It also teaches us many other skills along the way and in practical life, we can learn fast as we already have over basics through education. In my opinion higher education teaches you what to learn and how. But you retain more from real-life experiences
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Annette Campbell wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:05 am If you think higher education is important or beneficial then get it otherwise don't, how simple is that right. But In it's better to get it than not. Higher education [mytutorsource.qa/blog/the-5-best-european-countries-for-education/] is more than just attending classes and taking exams It isn’t just about earning a degree. Higher education is about learning new ways of thinking and acquiring problem-solving skills. Plus In real life, we may not learn as much in a few years as we can learn through higher education. You are asked to reason outside of your comfort zone. Students are taught to engage in critical thinking as an individual and member of a classroom. It also teaches us many other skills along the way and in practical life, we can learn fast as we already have over basics through education. In my opinion higher education teaches you what to learn and how. But you retain more from real-life experiences
Well said Annette Campbell !
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Annette Campbell wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:05 am If you think higher education is important or beneficial then get it otherwise don't, how simple is that right. But In it's better to get it than not.
Might need a bit of punctuation here, and editing.
Higher education [mytutorsource.qa/blog/the-5-best-european-countries-for-education/] is more than just attending classes and taking exams It isn’t just about earning a degree. Higher education is about learning new ways of thinking and acquiring problem-solving skills. Plus In real life, we may not learn as much in a few years as we can learn through higher education. You are asked to reason outside of your comfort zone. Students are taught to engage in critical thinking as an individual and member of a classroom. It also teaches us many other skills along the way and in practical life, we can learn fast as we already have over basics through education. In my opinion higher education teaches you what to learn and how. But you retain more from real-life experiences
Aside from the garbled start I agree. The last sentence is however of limited truth. First there is no dichotomy between real life and education, though you might want to make it so. Second, people without a good education tend to learn so much less from "real life" than those with little or no education. And I would suggest that those three plus years spent in higher education tend to be the richest years of your life in learning (as long as you engage fully). Last, your sentence is only true if you compare your whole life against the three years of H.ed.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:10 pm Bullshit.
Your ignorance is astoninshing.
THe people in control are the IVy league in the US, mostly capitalist, financiers, lawyers, shareholders. Kunts like Trump.
There is a strong leaning left amongst college professors in the US. And in the social sciences, that is people much more likely to talk about politics than other disciplines - there is even more of a left leaning faculty.

The institutions are at root run by monied interests, and that certainly holds for the Ivy League. But that doesn't lead to the faculty having the same views.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:56 am
Sculptor wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:10 pm Bullshit.
Your ignorance is astoninshing.
THe people in control are the IVy league in the US, mostly capitalist, financiers, lawyers, shareholders. Kunts like Trump.
There is a strong leaning left amongst college professors in the US. And in the social sciences, that is people much more likely to talk about politics than other disciplines - there is even more of a left leaning faculty.

The institutions are at root run by monied interests, and that certainly holds for the Ivy League. But that doesn't lead to the faculty having the same views.

Well obvious more intelligent people are left wing. Just like there are proportionally more Theists in prison than on the outside.
But last time I looked it was not college professors running the country.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Well obvious more intelligent people are left wing.
How'd you arrive at that conclusion?
Just like there are proportionally more Theists in prison than on the outside.
And this one? Where'd this come from? Who told you this?

I reckon there are more jailhouse conversions, yeah. Doesn't seem to me, though, theists are more likely to go to the hoosegow (which is what you seem to be sayin') than non-theists.
No, but the commie profs taught those that made their way into seats of power.

Keep in mind, though: The State isn't left or right, or commie or cappie. Those distinctions are just to muddy the water.

The State and its agents aren't ideological: they're slavers, straight up. All the hokum is meant to distract you from what is and what always has been and will be: the war between free men and slavers.

And they've been wildly successful at that distractin' (see any and all public discourse).
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:05 pm
Well obvious more intelligent people are left wing.
How'd you arrive at that conclusion?
Facts.
Evidence.
Live with it.
Just like there are proportionally more Theists in prison than on the outside.
And this one? Where'd this come from? Who told you this?
Facts.
Evidence.
Live with it.
I reckon there are more jailhouse conversions, yeah. Doesn't seem to me, though, theists are more likely to go to the hoosegow (which is what you seem to be sayin') than non-theists.
No, but the commie profs taught those that made their way into seats of power.
Not really.
It's the guys with inherited wealth like the Trump moron; psychopaths
Intelligent people are not so obsessed with wealth and power; megalomaniacs are.
And dumb fucks like Ted Cruz and the Bushes.

Keep in mind, though: The State isn't left or right, or commie or cappie. Those distinctions are just to muddy the water.
The state and both main parties are both right wing, and have been moving that way for 60 years. One reason why inequality, poverty and homelessness have been on the increase whilst job security and human rights have been on the way down with literacy.

The State and its agents aren't ideological: they're slavers, straight up. All the hokum is meant to distract you from what is and what always has been and will be: the war between free men and slavers.

And they've been wildly successful at that distractin' (see any and all public discourse).
You seem to lack basic processing skills. Did you attend school at some point in your life?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Facts.
Evidence.
So: let's see it.
Intelligent people are not so obsessed with wealth and power; megalomaniacs are.
Can I please see the facts & evidence?
The state and both main parties are both right wing
Can I please see the facts & evidence?
You seem to lack basic processing skills.
Facts? Evidence?