What is the point of Higher Education?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: What is the point of Higher Education?

Post by Sculptor »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:13 pm
Belinda wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:08 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:53 pm
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ching.html That's the UK. In the US, a similar thing is going on: the purging of classics, of hard science, of data, and so forth from subjects that used to rely upon them, in favour of "ethnographies" and "lived experience" retellings treated as if they were hard data. It's so universal that to name only one or two universities would be impossible; it would be easier to locate those few who are opting out of the new politically-correct curricula and programming.

Here's a balanced article, one that focuses on the data rather than extrapolation. Make your own conclusions, if you like: https://www.aei.org/articles/are-colleg ... s-climate/

Or take your own local university. And check, and see if they are still using scientific methodology in your own area, history. I'll warrant you they are not.

If they are, they're an exception to the rule.
Regarding your Daily Mail article, Nahim Zahawi is a right wing politician not a professional educationist.
Ad hominem. That doesn't do one thing to tell us whether in this case, we're getting the truth or a lie. And I can tell you that the perspective is no different from any professional "educationist," as you call them. The facts are the facts, like 'em or not.
TO be able to make such claims and them be taken seriously you would have to have knowledge. Zahawi is expressing an opinion about a subject he knows nothing about. Teachers are pretty fucked off about Right wingers from Public school fucking up kids education. IN all my years as a teacher we had to fend off basic ignorance from the politicians.
It's a case of Lions being led by lambs.

So go and check your own university. I'm not even asking you to believe me. Or I can send you a dozen more articles you can cheerfully ignore.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:21 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:13 pm
Belinda wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:08 pm
Regarding your Daily Mail article, Nahim Zahawi is a right wing politician not a professional educationist.
Ad hominem. That doesn't do one thing to tell us whether in this case, we're getting the truth or a lie. And I can tell you that the perspective is no different from any professional "educationist," as you call them. The facts are the facts, like 'em or not.

So go and check your own university. I'm not even asking you to believe me. Or I can send you a dozen more articles you can cheerfully ignore.
It's not ad hominem . It's about you have not applied due scepticism regarding the objectivity of your source.
Go and read the article. It is very fair in the way it treats the data. It recognizes, right at the start, that the undisputed preponderance of Leftie professors (about 85%) does not automatically mean Leftism is being taught, for example -- even though that supposition is surely more winsome than any alternate hypothesis. Still, it refuses to take that "easy win," and takes care, and gets into the data instead.

So go and read it with an open mind. Or don't. I can see you don't want to know.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:25 pm IN all my years as a teacher ...
Oh my...pity the children. :shock: