In Bristol, in the UK, can people use Capitol Hill's architecture to protect themselves from domestic abuse?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

trokanmariel

In Bristol, in the UK, can people use Capitol Hill's architecture to protect themselves from domestic abuse?

Post by trokanmariel »

promethean75

Re: In Bristol, in the UK, can people use Capitol Hill's architecture to protect themselves from domestic abuse?

Post by promethean75 »

Well it wouldn't be logically or physically impossible to do so, but perhaps a bit excessive, given other more reasonable alternatives for providing protection against domestic abuse in Bristol.

For instance, compare the circumstances involved in acquiring one of the front columns from the Capitol Hill building to be used as a means of self defense, with something simpler and more practical like pepper spray.

The former would first have to be taken, which would involve both trespassing and theft. Then the column would have to be transported to either an airfield or shipping deck to be loaded on a plane or ship. Being that the column was stolen, customs officials would have to be paid off to allow its entry into the United kingdom. Once there, the column would have to be resized and transported again to the place it will be used for protection. If, for example, a British citizen named Charles McKinston, who lives in a second story flat, is having problems with his girlfriend (who lives with him) assaulting him, he might want to have the column placed in the living room. To do this would involve quite a bit of structural modification to the floor to create load bearing points to support the weight of the column. This being done, the column could now be used. Typically, during a physical confrontation with his girlfriend, Charles could run around the column as his girlfriend chased him, and at least temporarily avoid some amount of domestic abuse to that extent. However the effectiveness of this method is questionable. For instance, as Charles rounded the column, his girlfriend could switch directions and run the other way, thereby catching Charles as he came around.

These are just a few things to think about when considering using architectural pieces of Capitol Hill as protection against domestic abuse in Britain. As you can see, it would be quite difficult, time consuming and expensive to do so.

Contrarily, Charles might find it much more convenient and cost effective to purchase some pepper spray at the local department store down the street. One could also argue that pepper spray would provide much better protection against the girlfriend's assaults.
trokanmariel

Re: In Bristol, in the UK, can people use Capitol Hill's architecture to protect themselves from domestic abuse?

Post by trokanmariel »

promethean75 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:40 am Well it wouldn't be logically or physically impossible to do so, but perhaps a bit excessive, given other more reasonable alternatives for providing protection against domestic abuse in Bristol.

For instance, compare the circumstances involved in acquiring one of the front columns from the Capitol Hill building to be used as a means of self defense, with something simpler and more practical like pepper spray.

The former would first have to be taken, which would involve both trespassing and theft. Then the column would have to be transported to either an airfield or shipping deck to be loaded on a plane or ship. Being that the column was stolen, customs officials would have to be paid off to allow its entry into the United kingdom. Once there, the column would have to be resized and transported again to the place it will be used for protection. If, for example, a British citizen named Charles McKinston, who lives in a second story flat, is having problems with his girlfriend (who lives with him) assaulting him, he might want to have the column placed in the living room. To do this would involve quite a bit of structural modification to the floor to create load bearing points to support the weight of the column. This being done, the column could now be used. Typically, during a physical confrontation with his girlfriend, Charles could run around the column as his girlfriend chased him, and at least temporarily avoid some amount of domestic abuse to that extent. However the effectiveness of this method is questionable. For instance, as Charles rounded the column, his girlfriend could switch directions and run the other way, thereby catching Charles as he came around.

These are just a few things to think about when considering using architectural pieces of Capitol Hill as protection against domestic abuse in Britain. As you can see, it would be quite difficult, time consuming and expensive to do so.

Contrarily, Charles might find it much more convenient and cost effective to purchase some pepper spray at the local department store down the street. One could also argue that pepper spray would provide much better protection against the girlfriend's assaults.

I appreciate the responses, to all the extravagant questions that I've posted; finally, with this particular one, I think I found an angle to respond.

With this particular topic, the unknown insinuation is that the means lies outside the physics.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Lol it was really just a joke played on a oddly/badly phrased question which I treated literally and answered in kind. Nevermind.

I do prefer joking over 'serious discussion' if and when I do pass by a forum, though. It can be amusing; I imagine the reader of my posts thinking 'what the fuck is this asshole talking about', and this gives me a chuckle now and then. My attitude, I think, is what it is because I have come to the final conclusion that philosophy posters, by and large, are terribly sick, broken and confused people, and I want to be as far away as possible unless I stop by to crack a joke at em.
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

promethean75 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:01 pm Lol it was really just a joke played on a oddly/badly phrased question which I treated literally and answered in kind. Nevermind.

I do prefer joking over 'serious discussion' if and when I do pass by a forum, though. It can be amusing; I imagine the reader of my posts thinking 'what the fuck is this asshole talking about', and this gives me a chuckle now and then. My attitude, I think, is what it is because I have come to the final conclusion that philosophy posters, by and large, are terribly sick, broken and confused people, and I want to be as far away as possible unless I stop by to crack a joke at em.

I'm motivated, to post questions in order to combat daylight's immunity from subjectivity. Week after week, people get airstriked, every member of the Kremlin is a biological organism, and this subjectivity isn't showing up.

Might you deem it a work of art, to be an opponent of daylight?