Say You're Grading a Philosophy Essay

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

jason_m

Say You're Grading a Philosophy Essay

Post by jason_m »

And:

- There are very few (or no) syntactic mistakes.
- The ideas are clear and well-written.
- It says something philosophically interesting.
- There are no logical fallacies.
- There is no plagiarism.
- The paper is on-topic.
- Forget about word counts, fonts, APA format, and all other 'periphery' issues.

Does the paper get an "A?" Why or why not?
Last edited by jason_m on Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlashDangerpants

Re: Say You're Grading a Philosophy Essay

Post by FlashDangerpants »

jason_m wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:47 am - Forget about word counts, fonts, APA format, relatedness to the topic, and all other 'periphery' issues.
Forget about relatedness to topic??? Sounds like you've got your answer for why your grades are bad.
jason_m

Post by jason_m »

Who said my grades are bad? I didn't...
jason_m

Post by jason_m »

Okay. I'll fix that.
jason_m

Post by jason_m »

Maybe the problem is that I can't even imagine writing an off-topic paper, but then that's just me...

And for those who think there is no such formula, consider the "GRE Analytical Writing" section...
FlashDangerpants

jason_m wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:58 am Okay. I'll fix that.
Well now you seem to be describing a clearly A grade paper.
What controversy are you attempting to address?
jason_m

Post by jason_m »

Several papers I had recently written had gotten bad marks, and they were as consistent with respect to the above formula as always - which usually receives an "A/A-." I was trying to test the forum to see why I got those marks, as I feel the instructors would not be honest with me. Nonetheless, I got an A- in both courses, so I'm not unhappy, but I'm worried that there was some prejudice or disparity in those two courses and that is why I am asking; to see if someone has a reasonable explanation as to how such a paper could get a "B" or even "B-," which is rare for me. I aced both final exams anyway, so I am not unhappy. I am just curious for future reference and especially for writing an essay in graduate school.

Post by Age »

jason_m wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:47 am And:

- There are very few (or no) syntactic mistakes.
- The ideas are clear and well-written.
- It says something philosophically interesting.
- There are no logical fallacies.
- There is no plagiarism.
- The paper is on-topic.
- Forget about word counts, fonts, APA format, and all other 'periphery' issues.

Does the paper get an "A?" Why or why not?
It would depend on 'confirmation biases'.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Holy shit that's a good question. How DOES one judge the essay? And what does the grader do when he finds he does not agree with a conclusion, but can find no technical or formal faults in its presentation?

We have a very strange and possibly dangerous philosophical situation here, boys. I think this warrants some deconstructive analysis.

Let's suppose the grader were to write his own essay in which he describes how and why he disagrees with the conclusion, and presents that paper to another grader who will do the same.

If we did this a hunerd times, we'd be no surer about any content and certain only about the form.

Jesus christ. This means there are no 'concepts', only logical form and rule following. The only thing given to sense is the abstract structure of the text... a single plane of immanence with absolutely no depth. You see, to explain a conceptual falsity, one would have to present a critique of the essay... but that essay, itself, would be subject to the same. You end up with an infinite regress of structural formalities and nothing whatsoever of conceptual presence, depth or stability.

My god, Jason M. I think you just accidentally solved philosophy.
Last edited by promethean75 on Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
jason_m

Post by jason_m »

Your comment assumes that all (or most) of my essays receive poor grades, which is not the issue and was insulting. Hence, my remark 'snippity' remark in return.
jason_m

Post by jason_m »

promethean75 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:04 am Holy shit that's a good question. How DOES one judge the essay? And what does the grader do when he finds he does not agree with a conclusion, but can find no technical or formal faults in its presentation?

We have a very strange and possibly dangerous philosophical situation here, boys. I think this warrants some deconstructive analysis.

Let's suppose the grader were to write his own essay in which he describes how and why he disagrees with the conclusion, and presents that paper to another grader who will do the same.

If we did this a hunerd times, we'd be no surer about any content and certain only about the form.

Jesus christ. This means there are no 'concepts', only logical form and rule following. The only thing given to sense is the abstract structure of the text... a single plane of immanence with absolutely no depth. You see, to explain a conceptual falsity, one would have to present a critique of the essay... but that essay, itself, would be subject to the same. You end up with an infinite regress of structural formalities and nothing whatsoever of conceptual presence, depth or stability.

My god, Jason M. I think you just accidentally solved philosophy.
And from your end, too; is that ever an intelligent, well thought out response. Imagine handing that in as an essay. I think it would get an A!
FlashDangerpants

jason_m wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:06 am Your comment assumes that all (or most) of my essays receive poor grades, which is not the issue and was insulting. Hence, my remark 'snippity' remark in return.
Well forgive me for pointing out the obvious here, but in this thread you seem to be marking your own homework while complaining about somebody else's marking.

It's somebody else's job to determine of you've covered enough aspects of the question to merit an A, and it's not really for you to decide that your argument is philosophically interesting. This is why they get somebody else to grade your work.

Also, maybe take stuff less personally both in school and on a fairly shit internet forum.
jason_m

Post by jason_m »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:21 am
jason_m wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:06 am Your comment assumes that all (or most) of my essays receive poor grades, which is not the issue and was insulting. Hence, my remark 'snippity' remark in return.
Well forgive me for pointing out the obvious here, but in this thread you seem to be marking your own homework while complaining about somebody else's marking.

It's somebody else's job to determine of you've covered enough aspects of the question to merit an A, and it's not really for you to decide that your argument is philosophically interesting. This is why they get somebody else to grade your work.

Also, maybe take stuff less personally both in school and on a fairly shit internet forum.
Holy cow! Is that response ever good! Forget it. You simply won the debate. Fin.
FlashDangerpants

I shall buy a grand new hat to celebrate this great victory. Possibly a fez.