The Poverty of Environmentalism

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

simplicity

The Poverty of Environmentalism

Post by simplicity »

In my mind, nobody captures the essence of the environmental movement as did George Carlin in one of his HBO specials years ago but here's something a bit more contemporary which I believe strikes at the heart of what's wrong with the folks that have adopted this "ism" as their current religion. And allow me to preface the following by stating that I have never met another human being who was pro-dirty water, dirty air, etc. As far I can tell, everybody wants to exist in a clean, healthy environment. Corporations and governments are another story altogether.

I consider myself a car guy. I have enjoyed sports cars [and particularly Porsche 911's] since they were first introduced in 1964. I currently own a very nice Jaguar F type and truly enjoy its beautiful styling inside and out [as well as its titillating performance]. As I live on the main residential thoroughfare in my small town [and I spend a fare amount of time reading on my front porch], I take note of many comings and goings [and quite a few very nice vehicles].

A couple of weeks ago, a bright white Porsche Taycan Turbo [ev] pulled up to the corner stop sigh, turned right [in front of my house] and took off down the street as if it were shot out of a cannon...but no sound other than tires. It was surreal, to say the least.

I have also seen several utube videos on the Taycan and the newer Tesla Plaid [which has over 1000 equivalent HP] and the comments are similar. All this movement and no engine noise = really weird experience.

If you watch little boys play with their toy cars, it's all about the noise. A silent car has no soul. And this is what the environmental movement does not understand. Soul [meaning] is what people live for, the reason they strive. Leaving out the engine noise in a sports car is like making love to a person who is completely silent. No soul.

If the environmentalists wish to capture the attention of the public [instead of having most everything they put forward mandated by government decree], they need to understand what soul is and how to make it "green." Otherwise, the vast majority of people [who have the same concerns they do] will never take them seriously [just like the atheists who try to convince the vast majority that because they cannot find any reason to know God, that nobody else should either].

Environmentalism should be a word. It should just be the way it is [and will be once the fanatics get out of the way and allow the normal people to integrate such into the mainstream of life]. The religion needs to be left at the door.
Walker

Re: The Poverty of Environmentalism

Post by Walker »

Fast and silent acceleration. Every animal's dream.

The critters crossing the road don't stand a chance without the noise.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Everybody wants to exist in a clean, healthy environment, but we aren''t willing to give up carbon emissions because we're still kids inside and we only want to go "vroooom"?

Seems an utterly vacuous viewpoint, simplicity. Even for you.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

mickthinks wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:32 pm Everybody wants to exist in a clean, healthy environment, but we aren''t willing to give up carbon emissions because we're still kids inside and we only want to go "vroooom"?

Seems an utterly vacuous viewpoint, simplicity. Even for you.
Although putting folks down seems to be a mainstay of some of the participants in this forum, you may wish to consider that perhaps you may have mildly bothered another for a short period of time, those same words will be part of you for the rest of your life.

Isn't it time to stop digging the hole deeper and [at the very least] bite your tongue when you feel the need to denigrate others. As well, there is a fair percentage of the population who still believe that the Earth is doing just fine [and will be billions of years after our short run as the preeminent surface nuisance is up].
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

There there—Is nasty mick being mean to poor simple diddums?

I think everyone can see for themselves how little actual thought you've put into your climate crisis denial.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

mickthinks wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:23 amI think everyone can see for themselves how little actual thought you've put into your climate crisis denial.
The climate is what it is. Do what is within reason to live the best we can and things will take care of themselves [as they have forever].

Since when are you the spokesperson for everyone? Can I assume that you are one of those environmental heroes?
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

The climate is what it is.

No, if by that you mean human society has had no effect on it and can have no effect on it. On the contrary, the climate is very much what we are making of it.

Do what is within reason to live the best we can and things will take care of themselves [as they have forever].

The CEOs of the big polluters will decide to stop polluting all by themselves? No, of course they won't.

Since when are you the spokesperson for everyone? Can I assume that you are one of those environmental heroes?

Let's not make this nonsense thread of yours about me, because that would let you off the hook.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

mickthinks wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:15 pm Let's not make this nonsense thread of yours about me, because that would let you off the hook.
When you respond to this "nonsense," is somebody else putting words in your mouth? And why would you respond anyway? Do you feel as if you must save the forum/world from all kinds of threats?

Things change either at the point of a bayonet or under conditions of considerably more freedom where the subject-matter is thoroughly discussed and a consensus is reached. Much of the information out there about environmental matters has been politicized to the point where who knows what the truth is? In the seventies, it was a new ice age coming. Now it's global warming. It doesn't matter though, because it's most likely another way to scam good folks out of their hard earned money.

In any case, rest assured that the Earth will be fine. OTOH, it appears as if humanity might not be. Oh well...