Causality and continuous process

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: Causality and continuous process

Post by bahman »

Belinda wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:07 pm
bahman wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:25 pm The cause and effect cannot lay at the same point. Therefore, the effect comes after the cause. Therefore, there is no continuous causal chain.
Certainly! The effect(s) of a cause may even be very distant from each other in time or locality. A causal chain is nothing but the sequence of events in some man's story. If God exists then God alone knows the true sequence of events.
Glad to see that you agree. :mrgreen:
seeds

Post by seeds »

Belinda wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:14 pm
seeds wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:31 am
bahman wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:30 am
No, the cause of paradox is the pairing of two sentences. The effect is the paradox itself. Think of it this way, if you don't pair the sentences you don't have any paradox, therefore, pairing them leads to the paradox, which means that the cause is the pairing.
No, bahman, the paradox (i.e., the "effect") is caused by the contradiction implicit in the pairing of the two sentences. Thus the "contradiction" holds both the cause and its effect at the same point.
_______
But seeds , it was not bahman, it was you who selected these two sentences. Out of all possible sentences you could have set up for comparison you chose two that clash with each other.
Yeah, I know.

However, bahman insisted that...
bahman wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:25 pm The cause and effect cannot lay at the same point.
So, for funsies, I am trying to word my rebuttals in such a way where cause and effect might seem a little blurred together when viewed from a particular angle, and thus difficult to know whether I have a valid point or not.

Again, just for funsies, I'm simply trying to give bahman the same sort of hard time that he gives the rest of us in his dogged defense of the dubious premises he often presents in his numerous threads.
_______
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

seeds wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:36 pm
Belinda wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:14 pm
seeds wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:31 am
No, bahman, the paradox (i.e., the "effect") is caused by the contradiction implicit in the pairing of the two sentences. Thus the "contradiction" holds both the cause and its effect at the same point.
_______
But seeds , it was not bahman, it was you who selected these two sentences. Out of all possible sentences you could have set up for comparison you chose two that clash with each other.
Yeah, I know.

However, bahman insisted that...
bahman wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:25 pm The cause and effect cannot lay at the same point.
So, for funsies, I am trying to word my rebuttals in such a way where cause and effect might seem a little blurred together when viewed from a particular angle, and thus difficult to know whether I have a valid point or not.

Again, just for funsies, I'm simply trying to give bahman the same sort of hard time that he gives the rest of us in his dogged defense of the dubious premises he often presents in his numerous threads.
_______
Seeds, if your aim is to show that effects are causes, and causes are effects, then I will back your claim.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

bahman wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:25 pm The cause and effect cannot lay at the same point. Therefore, the effect comes after the cause. Therefore, there is no continuous causal chain.
The cause and effect are not simultaneous. That doesn’t negate the possibility of continuous mess.
bahman

Post by bahman »

commonsense wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:22 pm
The cause and effect are not simultaneous. That doesn’t negate the possibility of continuous mess.
If there is a gap between cause and effect then that means that there is an interval that there is no process.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

bahman wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:25 pm
If there is a gap between cause and effect then that means that there is an interval that there is no process.
Yes, but it isn’t impossible for there to be no gap.
bahman

Post by bahman »

commonsense wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:48 pm

If cause and effect are not simultaneous then there is a gap between them. That is certain.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

bahman wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:49 pm
commonsense wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:48 pm
If cause and effect are not simultaneous then there is a gap between them. That is certain.
No, they can abutt one another.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Bahman wrote:
The cause and effect cannot lay at the same point. Therefore, the effect comes after the cause. Therefore, there is no continuous causal chain.
But the force of gravity is a cause of events.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Belinda wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:57 am Bahman wrote:
The cause and effect cannot lay at the same point. Therefore, the effect comes after the cause. Therefore, there is no continuous causal chain.
Gravity is nothing more than the exchange of graviton between two objects. It takes time that a graviton to travel from one object to another one.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

bahman wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:00 am
Gravity is nothing more than the exchange of graviton between two objects. It takes time that a graviton to travel from one object to another one.
Gravity, which is constantly present, causes things to fall down. Not so?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Belinda wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:07 am

No. Gravity is not constant. Scientists recently observe gravitational waves which means that gravity is subject to change.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

bahman wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:51 pm
No. Gravity is not constant. Scientists recently observe gravitational waves which means that gravity is subject to change.
Okay, but heavier than air things falling down is a more regular cause than otherwise.Heavier than air thing falling down is as much a cause of a broken wine glass as is my being temporarily drunk. My point is that some causes endure over and are partial causes of many events.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Belinda wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:37 pm
bahman wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:51 pm
Okay, but heavier than air things falling down is a more regular cause than otherwise.Heavier than air thing falling down is as much a cause of a broken wine glass as is my being temporarily drunk. My point is that some causes endure over and are partial causes of many events.
I cannot understand what you are talking about.