Philosophy Is NOT Your Friend

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

simplicity

Re: Philosophy Is NOT Your Friend

Post by simplicity »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:26 am That is my final point on the topic and I am giving it a pass.
Thanks for the conversation!

Post by Age »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:00 pm
Age wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:26 am
Terrapin Station wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:26 pm

I've no interest in getting into an argument about what philosophy refers to.
If you SEE that when I just ask you a Truly OPEN CLARIFYING QUESTION, for CLARITY, is "getting into an argument", then you are FAR MORE DISILLUSIONED than I first observed and noticed.
Terrapin Station wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:26 pm You do philosophy when you think and write in a philosophical way, using philosophical methodology.
Is it REALLY just to hard and/or complex for you to just inform us of the word 'philosophy' actually means or refers to, to you, EXACTLY?

Before I ask you what is 'a philosophical way', exactly, and does 'using philosophical methodology' mean or refer to, to you, I will WAIT to SEE what the word 'philosophy' even means or refers to, to you.
When I write "I've no interest in getting into an argument about what philosophy refers to" I'm not being dishonest. Either you're capable of learning something about how I feel, my preferences, etc. or not. But whether you're capable or not, it's not going to change my disposition that I've no interest in getting into an argument about what philosophy refers to.
But I just asked a VERY SIMPLE and VERY STRAIGHT FORWARD, Truly OPEN CLARIFYING QUESTION, to you, ONLY.

ANY ASSUMPTION or BELIEVE about "arguing" is ALL of your OWN making and imagination, ALONE.

If you are UNABLE to just CLARIFY what just one word means or refers to, to you, (and especially within a philosophy forum) then so be it. You are just INCAPABLE of doing that, and that is ALL. ANY talk of about "getting into arguments" has absolutely NOTHING whatsoever to do with me.

Your OBVIOUSLY INABILITY to inform us of what the word 'philosophy' means or refers to here, to you, just SHOWS and REVEALS MORE about 'you' and your abilities and INABILITIES.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Age wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:05 am
Age wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:26 am

If you SEE that when I just ask you a Truly OPEN CLARIFYING QUESTION, for CLARITY, is "getting into an argument", then you are FAR MORE DISILLUSIONED than I first observed and noticed.

Is it REALLY just to hard and/or complex for you to just inform us of the word 'philosophy' actually means or refers to, to you, EXACTLY?

Before I ask you what is 'a philosophical way', exactly, and does 'using philosophical methodology' mean or refer to, to you, I will WAIT to SEE what the word 'philosophy' even means or refers to, to you.
When I write "I've no interest in getting into an argument about what philosophy refers to" I'm not being dishonest. Either you're capable of learning something about how I feel, my preferences, etc. or not. But whether you're capable or not, it's not going to change my disposition that I've no interest in getting into an argument about what philosophy refers to.
But I just asked a VERY SIMPLE and VERY STRAIGHT FORWARD, Truly OPEN CLARIFYING QUESTION, to you, ONLY.

ANY ASSUMPTION or BELIEVE about "arguing" is ALL of your OWN making and imagination, ALONE.

If you are UNABLE to just CLARIFY what just one word means or refers to, to you, (and especially within a philosophy forum) then so be it. You are just INCAPABLE of doing that, and that is ALL. ANY talk of about "getting into arguments" has absolutely NOTHING whatsoever to do with me.

Maybe if you could get a retrofit.

Your OBVIOUSLY INABILITY to inform us of what the word 'philosophy' means or refers to here, to you, just SHOWS and REVEALS MORE about 'you' and your abilities and INABILITIES.
^^^
Hence why I'm not about to get into a discussion re what "philosophy" refers to with you. You'd need to possess a completely different personality for me to engage in that with you.

Post by Age »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:33 pm

^^^
Hence why I'm not about to get into a discussion re what "philosophy" refers to with you.
WHY would you ASSUME that there was EVER going to be a discussion about what the word 'philosophy' just refers to, to you?

OBVIOUSLY, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the WHOLE Universe that could be DISPUTED or REFUTED in relation to what the word 'philosophy' means or refers to, to you. Therefore, AGAIN, WHY would you ASSUME there was EVER going to be ANY discussion AT ALL about this?
Terrapin Station wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:33 pm You'd need to possess a completely different personality for me to engage in that with you.
So, this person here can ONLY SEE words in front of them, but yet they CLAIM to be ABLE TO KNOW the personality behind those words.

Oh, and by the way, you have ALREADY been engaging with me, and STILL ARE.

Also, if you do NOT like to engage with someone who just asks you a CLARIFYING QUESTION for the purpose of BETTER UNDERSTANDING 'you', then so be it.

But, there is NO wonder WHY there are people like this one here who NEVER gets to FULLY UNDERSTAND and KNOW "another".
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Age wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:46 am

^^^
Hence why I'm not about to get into a discussion re what "philosophy" refers to with you.
WHY would you ASSUME that there was EVER going to be a discussion about what the word 'philosophy' just refers to, to you?

OBVIOUSLY, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the WHOLE Universe that could be DISPUTED or REFUTED in relation to what the word 'philosophy' means or refers to, to you. Therefore, AGAIN, WHY would you ASSUME there was EVER going to be ANY discussion AT ALL about this?
Terrapin Station wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:33 pm You'd need to possess a completely different personality for me to engage in that with you.
So, this person here can ONLY SEE words in front of them, but yet they CLAIM to be ABLE TO KNOW the personality behind those words.

Also, if you do NOT like to engage with someone who just asks you a CLARIFYING QUESTION for the purpose of BETTER UNDERSTANDING 'you', then so be it.

But, there is NO wonder WHY there are people like this one here who NEVER gets to FULLY UNDERSTAND and KNOW "another".
Doubling down on the negative personality quirks probably won't do the trick.

Post by Age »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:35 pm
Age wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:46 am
^^^

Doubling down on the negative personality quirks probably won't do the trick.
Will NOT do "the trick" of what, EXACTLY?

If you are UNABLE to just inform us of what the little word 'philosophy' means or refers to, to you, EXACTLY, then so be it.

I suggest that you just do NOT expect ANY one "else" to KNOW what you are meaning or referring to when you talk about and use the word 'philosophy' here.
Last edited by Age on Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Age »

repeated.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

When browsing a philosophy menu I usually run a tripartite test before I place my order.

First I ax 'is this nonsense.' I don't mean nonsense as in 'this is stupid or patently wrong or offensive'. I mean literally nonsense... something that is so unintelligeable, muddled and confused it can't possibly be true nor false.

If the first test is passed, I then ax 'is this true or false.' This is a little more difficult than the first test since recognizing nonsense is fairly easy.

Finally, if I find it to be true, I then ax 'is this truth useful to me'. And it's here, gentlemen, that I discover most philosophical truths are almost entirely useless.
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

The myth is the outcome only as myth. In practice, this means that if emotion at a supermarket belonging to the people of a different nation is for nationalism per se, the possession of the inversion is only a pseudo-value. In further practice, this vindicates outer space travel, despite daylight's anti-climax.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Oh I see what you're saying.

I'm an American citizen (kinda), so if I'm in a Japanese grocery store one day, and I'm suddenly overcome with a strong feeling of patriotism for American values, culture and identity, upon recognizing that if I were to pretend to adopt a sense of patriotism for Japan rather than America, I would be absolved of any guilt I might feel for traveling into space, even if daylight failed to deliver an exciting and unexpected conclusion?

Bro this is pure genius.