All Humans are "Programmed" with the Potential for Evil

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

All Humans are "Programmed" with the Potential for Evil

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

All Humans are "Programmed" with the Potential for Evil.

Basically, all humans are 'programmed' with the potential for "Good" but at the same time, specifically to humans,
all humans are 'programmed' with the potential for "Evil."
Such 'programs' exist as 'algorithms' i.e. sets of neurally-connected-system in the brain.

'Good' is whatever human acts that are net-positive to the well being of the individual[s] and therefrom to humanity.
'Evil' is whatever human acts that are net-Negative to the well being of the individual[s] and therefrom to humanity.
Note reference to 'human acts' ONLY, not non-human acts.

To manage [soothe] the desperate manifestations of 'evil' and sufferings within oneself, the majority of individual humans resort to create the idea of a God in their brain and mind.

So 'Satan' is not "out there" but is inside the theists' brain and mind.

Therefore it is only through the understanding and grasping of the above knowledge that humanity can begin to resolve [mitigate to the minimum] all human related evil acts.
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skepdick

Re: All Humans are 'Programmed' with the Potential for Evil

Post by Skepdick »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:26 am All Humans are 'Programmed' with the Potential for Evil.

Basically, all humans are 'programmed' with the potential for "Good" but at the same time, specifically to humans,
Such 'programs' exist as 'algorithms' i.e. sets of neurally-connected-system in the brain.

'Good' is whatever human acts that are net-positive to the well being of the individual[s] and therefrom to humanity.
'Evil' is whatever human acts that are net-Negative to the well being of the individual[s] and therefrom to humanity.

To manage [soothe] the desperate manifestations of 'evil' and sufferings within oneself, the majority of individual humans resort to create the idea of a God in their brain and mind.

Therefore it is only through the understanding and grasping of the above knowledge that humanity can begin to resolve [mitigate to the minimum] all human related evil acts.
So you finally identified psychological splitting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splitting_(psychology)
Veritas Aequitas

Skepdick wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:14 am

Splitting (also called black-and-white thinking or all-or-nothing thinking) is the failure in a person's thinking to bring together the dichotomy of both positive and negative qualities of the self and others into a cohesive, realistic whole. It is a common defense mechanism.[1] The individual tends to think in extremes (i.e., an individual's actions and motivations are all good or all bad with no middle ground).
Loose canon as usual.

That all humans are 'programmed' with a potential for evil do not necessary entail 'splitting' i.e. taking things to the extremes of either black or white.
As stated in the OP, all humans are also 'programmed' with the potential for 'good'. As such, in this case, there is room for the complementarity of 'good' with 'evil' just like Yin in complementarity with Yang, i.e. they are not absolutely independent of each other.

Post by Age »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:26 am All Humans are 'Programmed' with the Potential for Evil.

Basically, all humans are 'programmed' with the potential for "Good" but at the same time, specifically to humans, all humans are 'programmed' with the potential for "Evil.

Instead of "all humans are 'programmed' with the potential for good and evil". ALL human beings obtain the ability to do good (what is right) and evil (what is wrong). And, ALL adult human beings do BOTH good AND evil.

The word 'program' implies that there is some thing that is 'programming' 'you', human beings, in a particular way.

Are you implying that there is some thing/creator, which is 'programming' 'you', human beings, in particular ways. If no, then WHY use the word 'program'?
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:26 am 'Good' is whatever human acts that are net-positive to the well being of the individual[s] and therefrom to humanity.
Taking drugs is "net-positive" to the well being of the individual/s. This can be PROVEN True by just asking them. Or, are you going to TELL "others" what is so-called the "net-positive" to the well being of "them"?
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:26 am 'Evil' is whatever human acts that are net-Negative to the well being of the individual[s] and therefrom to humanity.
Note you will be able to achieve agreement on what is "net-positive and net-negative to the well being of the individual/s and therefrom to humanity?

If yes, then HOW?

But, if no, then how do you KNOW what is 'net-positive' AND 'net-negative' here?
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:26 am To manage [soothe] the desperate manifestations of 'evil' and sufferings within oneself, the majority of individual humans resort to create the idea of a God in their brain and mind.
LOOK, I have INFORMED you PREVIOUSLY that just because this is EXACTLY what you did, this does NOT then transfer to YOUR CLAIM that "others" have done the EXACT SAME thing. You BELIEVED, and STILL BELIEVE, in ILLOGICAL and NONSENSICAL things for your OWN reasons. Although ALL of 'you', human beings, do things for the EXACT SAME reason/s, what you are saying and claiming here is NOT one of those reasons.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:26 am So 'Satan' is not "out there" but is inside the theists' brain and mind.
LOL But "satan" is NOT in "veritas aequitas" head, and this is because "veritas aequitas" does NOT accept that it does and thinks wrong nor evil things?
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:26 am Therefore it is only through the understanding and grasping of the above knowledge that humanity can begin to resolve [mitigate to the minimum] all human related evil acts.
But 'you' are one of the MOST EVIL characters on earth "veritas aequitas".
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:32 am

Splitting (also called black-and-white thinking or all-or-nothing thinking) is the failure in a person's thinking to bring together the dichotomy of both positive and negative qualities of the self and others into a cohesive, realistic whole. It is a common defense mechanism.[1] The individual tends to think in extremes (i.e., an individual's actions and motivations are all good or all bad with no middle ground).
Loose canon as usual.

That all humans are 'programmed' with a potential for evil do not necessary entail 'splitting' i.e. taking things to the extremes of either black or white.
As stated in the OP, all humans are also 'programmed' with the potential for 'good'. As such, in this case, there is room for the complementarity of 'good' with 'evil' just like Yin in complementarity with Yang, i.e. they are not absolutely independent of each other.
You really struggle with reading comprehension, don't you?

The very first paragraph:
the failure in a person's thinking to bring together the dichotomy of both positive and negative qualities of the self and others into a cohesive, realistic whole.
Positive qualities a.k.a GOOD.
Negative qualities a.k.a EVIL.

That is black and white thinking. By virtue of the number of categories you've chosen.
Veritas Aequitas

Skepdick wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:02 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:32 am

Loose canon as usual.

You really struggle with reading comprehension, don't you?

The very first paragraph:
the failure in a person's thinking to bring together the dichotomy of both positive and negative qualities of the self and others into a cohesive, realistic whole.
Positive qualities a.k.a GOOD.
Negative qualities a.k.a EVIL.

That is black and white thinking. By virtue of the number of categories you've chosen.
You are the one who have comprehension problem.
Note I stated
"As such, in this case, there is room for the complementarity of 'good' with 'evil' just like Yin in complementarity with Yang, i.e. they are not absolutely independent of each other."

But the point in the OP [re the title and emphasis in the post] is focused on the Problem of Evil which I am claiming exists within one's brain and mind, thus not from outside.
My mention of 'good' is purely as a comparative purpose, i.e. a side issue to the OP.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:27 am You are the one who have comprehension problem.
Note I stated
"As such, in this case, there is room for the complementarity of 'good' with 'evil' just like Yin in complementarity with Yang, i.e. they are not absolutely independent of each other."

But the point in the OP [re the title and emphasis in the post] is focused on the Problem of Evil which I am claiming exists within one's brain and mind, thus not from outside.
My mention of 'good' is purely as a comparative purpose, i.e. a side issue to the OP.
So why doesn't your OP say "All Humans are 'Programmed' with the Potential for Good and Evil" ?

Why have you ommited the potential for good?
Why are you only focusing on Evil?

If they both exist in one's mind why is Evil "a problem", but Good isn't?

Probably because you haven't figured out that any human judgment of something being a "problem" is a moral judgment.
Veritas Aequitas

Skepdick wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:29 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:27 am You are the one who have comprehension problem.
Note I stated

So why doesn't your OP say "All Humans are 'Programmed' with the Potential for Good and Evil" ?

Why have you ommited the potential for good?
Why are you only focusing on Evil?

If they both exist in one's mind why is Evil "a problem", but Good isn't?

Probably because you haven't figured out that any human judgment of something being a "problem" is a moral judgment.
WHO ARE YOU to decide for me on what I decide to discuss on??

Note my later points especially the last para;

• To manage [soothe] the desperate manifestations of 'evil' and sufferings within oneself, the majority of individual humans resort to create the idea of a God in their brain and mind.

From the above, my intention is to focus on the issue of evil [as defined] only.

The question for you re this OP is whether you agree with,
"All Humans are 'Programmed' with the Potential for Evil"
or not?

If not, you agree evil is from Satan or the devil?
if not, from where else.

If you agree with the OP,
then you need to deliberate on the neural mechanisms that is responsible for evil acts and how this can be mitigated.
It will be good for you since your potential to commit evil is rather high and ready to go at present.

Anything re 'Good' have to be dealt in another OP.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:03 am WHO ARE YOU to decide for me on what I decide to discuss on??
I am not deciding anythign. I am asking you questions.

Who are you to decide that I can't ask questions?

I am asking WHY are you focused only on Evil, when all humans are programmed with the potential for Good also?
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:03 am Anything re 'Good' have to be dealt in another OP.
Yeah... WHY? Good and Evil is a continuum. Evil is the absence of Good.

You can't split them apart and only deal with the one.
Scott Mayers

Re: All Humans are "Programmed" with the Potential for Evil

Post by Scott Mayers »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:26 am All Humans are "Programmed" with the Potential for Evil.

I think that what is 'good' is only a definition of what IS funcitonal to the particular being AND not just limited to humanity. It is an assigned value during periods of development and not something universal apart from negotiating beings to the same standards of behavior.

For instance, before we can 'taste' something, the neural cells of the brain need a 'period' that seeks to set aside memory space for bodily peripherals that are being used. Those that do not get used during this period, free the brain to be assigned to distinctly other functions. So, if you do not actively use your taste buds during the period that tests to see if it is functioning, the brain will not learn to 'taste'.

When one does taste something in this period, it only interprets whatever it tastes during this period of development as 'tasty', like how we might first taste our mothers breast milk for the first time. AFTER development, the brain then associates those tastes that closely resemble those that were initially sensed when setting up the part of the brain that holds taste memory, these become assigned as 'tasty' too. Those that are furthest away from this assignment are 'untasty'.

The same goes for evaluating complex activities to which we refer to as 'moral' conduct. The moral conduct is artificial and only then related to the group. This is why animals can learn to kill and eat other animals (a 'good' thing) while learning also that killing ones' own (a 'bad' thing) is DEFINED 'moral'. That is, the group acts as a second stage of assignments for the more complex behaviors. Note though that we can 'learn' a distinctly opposite sense of what is 'good' from the group we are in even while we recognize that our internal evaluation is mismatched with the others. This creates social problems. For the individual who has a drastically distinct sense of evaluations from their group, he or she may be begged to define their feelings as 'immoral' or 'wrong' outwardly yet not internalize it as their own.

There is thus no need for any actual universal morality. But if you want to seek it, you CAN find means to get these in sync with the community by being sure to know when the periods of development are and attend to helping frame the environment of the child so that they get the same assignments. This should stand to reason. If everyone shared the same beliefs from the same sources, the social 'agreement' would align the same values equally amongst them. This of course is not easy and likely impossible in any absolute way because it requires a politic of all humans to be 'in sync' with the same shared set of values ....AND the same rewards or punishments that help shape these. Because evolution only favors the individual with priority, this is not likely to be successful even under the best of ideal conditions with respect to all beings. Certainly, for instance, it would be against someone's evolution should you expect a bear to respect the value of not eating fish [that is, not 'killing another being' as a VALUE shared].

I know I argued with you on this before. But does this not make better sense yet for you? It still points to requiring to deal with politics if you want to 'amplify' a shared set of values. It requires community agreement as to how to raise 'our' children in the critical development periods with the same set of standards. I don't see any other way.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:26 am All Humans are "Programmed" with the Potential for Evil.
All sub-humans believe this, and they are right.

Human beings are not, "programmed," at all. True human beings, of which there are very few, are volitional beings who must consciously choose all they think and do.

Only non-human animals have programs to determine their behavior.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

RCSaunders wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:06 pm

Human beings are not, "programmed," at all. True human beings, of which there are very few, are volitional beings who must consciously choose all they think and do.

Go ahead and show us then. Hold your breath for 15 minutes. On your own volition.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:29 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:06 pm

Go ahead and show us then. Hold your breath for 15 minutes. On your own volition.
It is not possible to, "show," those who have rejected their own nature as volitional beings anything, because they have intentionally reverted to something less than human. It's their choice. Sorry!
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

\...

Are you saying that humans are born with such programming, or that they are programmed afterward? I could agree with the latter.

I did not interpret any of my early experiences as evil -- nor did it occur to me to imagine or seek a god for any reason. I was just navigating the life I found myself in, and there were many terrors to navigate. Those experiences actually made me more aware and more reliant on myself. I was completely accepting of the possibility that life might just wipe me out. Like being naked (vulnerable) and moving through a jungle... I was attuned to living in the moment. It was all very natural. It made a huge impact (I guess) on how I am.

I think theism is the birthplace of all that it imagines and teaches (including evil) -- and, thus, creates a lot of it to varying degrees as self-fulfilling evidence that such potential is true -- rather than actually being representative of truth that naturally exists. I never conceptualized a Hell or Satan or demons or evil until theists got hold of me. It is really horrible superstitious abuse to do that to a child! By the time such things were being introduced to me, I had already experienced being a child without a god watching over me. So I had to learn to ignore my experiences, in order to subscribe to the theist story and explanations about a loving god. At least the Christians around me were trying to be loving. That was worth something, even if they seemed mentally intoxicated.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

RCSaunders wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:49 pm It is not possible to, "show," those who have rejected their own nature as volitional beings anything, because they have intentionally reverted to something less than human. It's their choice. Sorry!
You can reject your nature?

As a volitional human being maybe you can - maybe you can't.

Once again... show us. Reject breathing for 15 minutes.