The Role of Anger in Philosophical Introspection

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

simplicity

The Role of Anger in Philosophical Introspection

Post by simplicity »

One would expect many of the participants in a philosophy forum such as this one to have significant anger issues as one of the purposes of this type of discovery is the long and arduous process of working through such. This is particularly common among young men and specifically left-leaning individuals [who can seemingly only relate to the bad in life (forgetting that there is an equal amount of good and bad in everything)].

Reaching a balance in one's life is no easy task but well worth the effort. I would just like to say to those who feel it is ok to beat-up on your fellow participants that we are all here not only to self-explore, but also to help each other. Whereas everybody should be thoroughly challenged on any intellectual point, denigrating others is only a reflection of your own insecurities and ruins the flow of conversation.

If you find that you must be nasty to get your point across, you probably need to deal with your anger issues professionally [something that many can benefit from]. This gives folks a chance to step back and gain some perspective. There are all kinds of really nice and interesting people here. Allow them to have their say. After all, nobody holds the truth...it's only that some espouse a sweeter smelling brand of bullshit.
simplicity

Re: The Role of Anger in Philosophical Introspection

Post by simplicity »

I've been participating in these forums since the beginning of "use groups" way back when. Since I was in my thirties at the time and dealing with a full plate [wife, multiple kids, dogs, cats, practice, house, office building, etc.], I am sure I had my share of issues. And the fact that my first marriage ended in my forties [as most failed marriages do], I was left with a fair amount of anger, as well.

What I learned through my journey is that we own our own anger. Life is not fair nor is it just nor is it equal. You play the hand you are dealt using your skills and determination to succeed. Add in hard work, a little luck, and hope for the best. The key is to stop blaming other people. Take responsibility for your own life. To some degree, everybody is a victim of something. Some are too tall or short, some are not good looking enough, some are not very bright, and others suffer from a variety of health issues. Nobody gets a free pass.

Thing is...the majority of us have all we need to live wonderful lives despite the obstacles. It's just a matter of accepting whatever our burden is and putting all of our energies into maximizing our strengths. If we allow our anger to fester, it will not only distract you from the real work that must be done, but you will bring down those around you, an anathema to the goal of uplifting all with whom you come into contact.

Despite our circumstances, it is our choice whether our lives are going to be positive or negative. Choose positive and help others do the same. As my former partner used to say, "The best way to help the [fill in the blank] is to not be one of them."
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

One fundamental point is, 'anger' [an emotion] as part of human nature is a critical necessity for survival of the individual and therefrom the species.

Anger is driven by an embedded neural correlate and coded in the DNA.
'Anger' is not simply 'angry' but represented by a complex set and web of neural connections with a wide range of subsets and hierarchy with its respective functions.

Anger is only a problem when its manifestation are combined with other emotions into malignant secondary emotions such as hate, other evil impulses without any impulse control.

Thus we need to note Aristotle's

• Anybody can become angry-that is easy;
    • but to be angry
      with the right person, and
      to the right degree, and
      at the right time, and
      for the right purpose, and
      in the right way
    -that is not within everybody’s power and is not easy.

This is why the wise of the past with their insights and wisdom have been introducing various techniques and approaches [meditations, education, exercises, breathing techniques, etc.] to enable humans to modulate their anger emotions with effective impulse control valves for positive purposes as stated by Aristotle above.

For some fortunate ones, they may not have an anger problem, but for the majority, it require deliberate and conscientious hard work to manage one's anger positively to one well being.
Walker

Post by Walker »

simplicity wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:42 pm One would expect many of the participants in a philosophy forum such as this one to have significant anger issues as one of the purposes of this type of discovery is the long and arduous process of working through such. This is particularly common among young men and specifically left-leaning individuals [who can seemingly only relate to the bad in life (forgetting that there is an equal amount of good and bad in everything)].

Reaching a balance in one's life is no easy task but well worth the effort. I would just like to say to those who feel it is ok to beat-up on your fellow participants that we are all here not only to self-explore, but also to help each other. Whereas everybody should be thoroughly challenged on any intellectual point, denigrating others is only a reflection of your own insecurities and ruins the flow of conversation.

If you find that you must be nasty to get your point across, you probably need to deal with your anger issues professionally [something that many can benefit from]. This gives folks a chance to step back and gain some perspective. There are all kinds of really nice and interesting people here. Allow them to have their say. After all, nobody holds the truth...it's only that some espouse a sweeter smelling brand of bullshit.
Anger is an energy source for any purpose required of any realm, including philosophy and artistic precision. In the intellectual realm, the energy is used to activate thought. Direction of the energy is a matter of understanding and working with existent energy however it manifests such as anger, which can be a bit of an energy surge. Appropriately working, acting, in an intellectual realm, such as philosophy, requires the equanimity that detaches emotion from energy, so that energy fuels thought. The understanding of equanimity can be pursued via action through virtually all traditions which involve mind, such as the religions and sciences for example, or the trades, or farming.