For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: Responsibility

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:36 pm
bahman wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:05 pm
Age wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:42 pm

But how could you even see [accept] there is meaning everywhere, or even anywhere, when you obviously choose to only see [accept] there is NO meaning in life?

It would not be possible to give you an example, because you have already chosen to not look at, look for, see, [nor accept] meaning anywhere in life.
Where? I cannot find any meaning in life.
We ALREADY KNOW this. Because you have ALREADY INFORMED us of this.

I was just POINTING OUT that NO one could SHOW you ANY meaning in Life, NOR where there is ACTUAL meaning in Life, BECAUSE you have ALREADY DECIDED that there is NO meaning in Life.

NO one can SHOW NOR REVEAL ANY thing to you, which you ALREADY BELIEVE WHOLEHEARTEDLY does NOT exist.
Do you know what the meaning is or can show it to me or can show the way to acquire it?
bahman

Post by bahman »

simplicity wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:40 pm
bahman wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:06 pm If I don't take responsibility then life/society punishes me.
Exactly. There is great incentive to acting like an adult.

Meaning can take many different forms. OTOH, a lack of meaning is ALWAYS the same.

I believe you are looking for some kind of profound meaning in things whereas reality suggests that you will find all the meaning you will ever need in everyday things.

Here's a few rules I try to live by...
1. DON'T worry. It doesn't help.
2. Do your best ALL THE TIME.
3. Leave EVERYTHING better than you found it.
4. Help others when you can but do not create dependency.

Meaning in life is just doing ordinary every day things with purpose. Once you get your own act together, you can help others...which will give your life GREAT meaning.
No, what you are suggesting is a way of living and it has nothing with having meaning.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

bahman wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:21 pm No, what you are suggesting is a way of living and it has nothing with having meaning.
What sort of meaning are you looking for?

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:19 pm
bahman wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:05 pm
Where? I cannot find any meaning in life.

I was just POINTING OUT that NO one could SHOW you ANY meaning in Life, NOR where there is ACTUAL meaning in Life, BECAUSE you have ALREADY DECIDED that there is NO meaning in Life.

NO one can SHOW NOR REVEAL ANY thing to you, which you ALREADY BELIEVE WHOLEHEARTEDLY does NOT exist.
Do you know what the meaning is or can show it to me or can show the way to acquire it?
I KNOW what the meaning is of EVERY thing.

While you BELIEVE some 'thing' does NOT exist, NO one can show you that 'thing'.

Yes I can show you the way to acquire the meaning of 'it' [ANY thing].

When, you show, that you are OPEN to the fact that you could find meaning in life, then I can show you even the meaning of 'Life', Itself.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

simplicity to bahman wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:40 pm ...reality suggests that you will find all the meaning you will ever need in everyday things.

Here's a few rules I try to live by...
1. DON'T worry. It doesn't help.
2. Do your best ALL THE TIME.
3. Leave EVERYTHING better than you found it.
4. Help others when you can but do not create dependency.

Meaning in life is just doing ordinary every day things with purpose. Once you get your own act together, you can help others...which will give your life GREAT meaning.
Agreed. (#4 is a clever one!)

There is much that can be experienced in every moment. The more present I am, the more meaning and fulfillment I experience. If my mind is off swimming somewhere else, I will surely miss something really beautiful or sweet right in front of me. I think any 'grander meaning' I might imagine, pales in comparison to witnessing the vibrancy in the moment. Why would there be, or even need to be, more than that?

It's like the difference between dreaming about euphoria, or experiencing it in the current moment.
stevie

Post by stevie »

simplicity wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:12 am
stevie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:29 am People who seek meaning through taking on responsibilities may also be seeking responsibilities while those who do not seek meaning through taking on responsibilities may not be seeking or even be indifferent towards responsibilities without necessarily refusing to take on responsibilities in case the mere necessities of everyday life require this at times.
That's quite the sentence.

Meaning is what happens when you take responsibility. What would be the point of taking responsibility otherwise?

It's one of the true differences between childhood [adolescence] and adulthood. Children do things because they want to...adults do things because they have to [otherwise, they are better referred to as adult-children].
Obviously our perspectives don't match. No problem.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:56 pm

While you BELIEVE some 'thing' does NOT exist, NO one can show you that 'thing'.

When, you show, that you are OPEN to the fact that you could find meaning in life, then I can show you even the meaning of 'Life', Itself.
I try my best to be open. Show the meaning to me.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

In what way does responsibility give any meaning to life?

I think I might need a little more than this.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:12 pm

I try my best to be open.
Either you are open, or you are not.

'Trying' is NOT the same as 'doing' nor 'being'.
bahman wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:12 pm Show the meaning to me.
Show the meaning of 'what', exactly, to you?
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:34 pm In what way does responsibility give any meaning to life?

I think I might need a little more than this.
Perhaps we should ask what meaning is.

Meaning is similar to economic value. It is something that must be desired as well as something that must have a component of human effort [similar to a commodity having a market and the addition of labor-value]. Just like things that are "free" [i.e., widely available...like air] have no economic value, things that lack effort [the taking of responsibility] have no meaning. Again, meaning is what we add to things through our efforts/care.

This is why people who refuse to take responsibility are miserable. There is no free lunch. Although another can supply you with economic fruits, you will never have the satisfaction of doing for yourself [one of the many reasons why welfare systems destroy adults]. In the same vane, those [adults] who refuse to take responsibility are essentially children, completely dependent and living lives without meaning. Look out any window, you can see them by the millions...folks obsessed by all of the addictions that have taken the place of meaning in modern life.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:44 pm

Meaning of life.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:53 pm

Meaning of life.
How to find the meaning of ANY 'thing' is VERY SIMPLE and VERY EASY to do, and it is done in the EXACT SAME way. That is; just LOOK in a dictionary. What you will find is the meaning of 'life' is; living, being alive.

Now, if you want to agree with and accept this meaning is SOLELY up to 'you', the observer. You, however, may choose to find another meaning and use that meaning of (the word) 'life'.

But, what will be found is, when, and if, one finds and uses that meaning of 'life', then absolutely EVERY thing else can and does fit in PERFECTLY with that meaning, which then forms a CRYSTAL CLEAR unified, True, and FULL Picture of 'Life', the Universe, and Existence, Itself. For example, the purpose of 'life', being alive and living, starts becoming far more clear, and understood. It is ALL very simple and easy, REALLY.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:51 pm

Meaning of life.
How to find the meaning of ANY 'thing' is VERY SIMPLE and VERY EASY to do, and it is done in the EXACT SAME way. That is; just LOOK in a dictionary. What you will find is the meaning of 'life' is; living, being alive.

Now, if you want to agree with and accept this meaning is SOLELY up to 'you', the observer. You, however, may choose to find another meaning and use that meaning of (the word) 'life'.

But, what will be found is, when, and if, one finds and uses that meaning of 'life', then absolutely EVERY thing else can and does fit in PERFECTLY with that meaning, which then forms a CRYSTAL CLEAR unified, True, and FULL Picture of 'Life', the Universe, and Existence, Itself. For example, the purpose of 'life', being alive and living, starts becoming far more clear, and understood. It is ALL very simple and easy, REALLY.
You are not serious. Are you?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Age wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:51 pm

Meaning of life.

Only there’s a problem—to say that life means living and/or being alive is to give an essentially circular definition, don’t you think?
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Love is great, but extra great, I suppose for people born with extrovert traits. I am not myself without giving and receiving love, I have a family, wife and kids, and I love living in a family. When people however goes on about like "love is everything that counts", well, not for me. What I read, what I exprerience, what I feel or think - to be alive and have a consciousness is really a miracle. Even if times gets rough sometimes.

The word "Responsibility" is however mostly a word connected to being with others( of course, smoking or careless living might hurt yourself ). If one do not take responsibility, that normally means creating some kind of mess that someone else will have to take care of. And that is, in itself, as I see it, really psychopatic.