For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Responsibility

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:09 pm
Age wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:51 pm
bahman wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:53 pm
Meaning of life.
How to find the meaning of ANY 'thing' is VERY SIMPLE and VERY EASY to do, and it is done in the EXACT SAME way. That is; just LOOK in a dictionary. What you will find is the meaning of 'life' is; living, being alive.

Now, if you want to agree with and accept this meaning is SOLELY up to 'you', the observer. You, however, may choose to find another meaning and use that meaning of (the word) 'life'.

But, what will be found is, when, and if, one finds and uses that meaning of 'life', then absolutely EVERY thing else can and does fit in PERFECTLY with that meaning, which then forms a CRYSTAL CLEAR unified, True, and FULL Picture of 'Life', the Universe, and Existence, Itself. For example, the purpose of 'life', being alive and living, starts becoming far more clear, and understood. It is ALL very simple and easy, REALLY.
You are not serious. Are you?
No. 'I' am NOT that 'thing'. But what I have said and POINTED OUT here is absolutely True, Right, AND Correct. Which, OBVIOUSLY, you are INCAPABLE of refuting.

Post by Age »

commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:06 pm
bahman wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:53 pm
Meaning of life.
How to find the meaning of ANY 'thing' is VERY SIMPLE and VERY EASY to do, and it is done in the EXACT SAME way. That is; just LOOK in a dictionary. What you will find is the meaning of 'life' is; living, being alive.

Now, if you want to agree with and accept this meaning is SOLELY up to 'you', the observer. You, however, may choose to find another meaning and use that meaning of (the word) 'life'.

But, what will be found is, when, and if, one finds and uses that meaning of 'life', then absolutely EVERY thing else can and does fit in PERFECTLY with that meaning, which then forms a CRYSTAL CLEAR unified, True, and FULL Picture of 'Life', the Universe, and Existence, Itself. For example, the purpose of 'life', being alive and living, starts becoming far more clear, and understood. It is ALL very simple and easy, REALLY.
Only there’s a problem—to say that life means living and/or being alive is to give an essentially circular definition, don’t you think?
No, because;

1. I did NOT use the word 'life' again in the definition. The words 'living' and 'being alive' were used, and have their own different meanings.

2. I obtained that definition from a dictionary. So, if that, to you, is 'essentially a circular definition', then that is how dictionaries work. And, where 'we', human beings, obtain all of our definitions, and meanings, is from 'dictionaries', themselves.

3. One meaning of the word 'life' is living; being alive, among other meanings/definitions. But, I found when I used that speaks for itself, and very simple and very easy to understand, meaning, then it worked PERFECTLY with all the other meanings and definitions I was seeing, in dictionaries, and started using. In fact when combined together they formed One PERFECTLY formed Unified Picture of 'Life' and Existence, Itself. Remember, though, 'you' are completely and utterly FREE to use absolutely ANY meaning you like for absolutely ANY word you like, including the word 'life', itself. But, to me, the most SIMPLEST definition and meaning here has proven itself to be the most True. Adult human beings, from my perspective, can and do have a tendency to over complicate things, which, in turn, then makes them overlook or MISS the absolute SIMPLICITY and BEAUTY that exists of 'Life', and living, itself.

To me, the meaning of 'life' is, JUST, living and being alive. And, contrary to popular BELIEF absolutely EVERY thing is alive, and living. The reason most people do not yet see this is because they have just narrowed and/or shorted their sight, and thus view, of things. But what I am saying, and meaning, can be and WILL BE backed up and PROVED irrefutably True, Right, AND Correct.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Ansiktsburk wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:43 pm Love is great, but extra great, I suppose for people born with extrovert traits. I am not myself without giving and receiving love, I have a family, wife and kids, and I love living in a family. When people however goes on about like "love is everything that counts", well, not for me. What I read, what I exprerience, what I feel or think - to be alive and have a consciousness is really a miracle. Even if times gets rough sometimes.

The word "Responsibility" is however mostly a word connected to being with others( of course, smoking or careless living might hurt yourself ). If one do not take responsibility, that normally means creating some kind of mess that someone else will have to take care of. And that is, in itself, as I see it, really psychopatic.
Love is nothing other than an emotion that drives you to do certain things!
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:37 pm

No. 'I' am NOT that 'thing'. But what I have said and POINTED OUT here is absolutely True, Right, AND Correct. Which, OBVIOUSLY, you are INCAPABLE of refuting.
When I ask about the meaning of life I mean something that gives value to it.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:59 pm
Ansiktsburk wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:43 pm Love is great, but extra great, I suppose for people born with extrovert traits. I am not myself without giving and receiving love, I have a family, wife and kids, and I love living in a family. When people however goes on about like "love is everything that counts", well, not for me. What I read, what I exprerience, what I feel or think - to be alive and have a consciousness is really a miracle. Even if times gets rough sometimes.

The word "Responsibility" is however mostly a word connected to being with others( of course, smoking or careless living might hurt yourself ). If one do not take responsibility, that normally means creating some kind of mess that someone else will have to take care of. And that is, in itself, as I see it, really psychopatic.
You appear to think, or believe, that words can have one meaning/definition only, is this correct?

If yes, then okay.

But if no, then WHY do you state and claim that 'love' is nothing other than an emotion?

Is it IMPOSSIBLE, to you, that 'love' could be an action or behavior as well?

Also, if you are 'driven' by emotions, then this helps in explaining WHY you write some of the Incorrect things that you do.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:00 pm
Do you not find ANY value in just, living and being alive?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:04 pm

You appear to think, or believe, that words can have one meaning/definition only, is this correct?
No. Some words have different meanings so you have to understand the meaning based on context.
Age wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:04 pm If yes, then okay.

But if no, then WHY do you state and claim that 'love' is nothing other than an emotion?

No. Your behavior or act could be based on love but love cannot be either.
Age wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:04 pm Also, if you are 'driven' by emotions, then this helps in explaining WHY you write some of the Incorrect things that you do.
I can resist emotions. I let act based on them when I think it is appropriate.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:05 pm

There is no value in life.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:47 am
Age wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:04 pm
No. Some words have different meanings so you have to understand the meaning based on context.
Well, when 'you' understand the meaning, based on context, then you WILL understand the meaning of 'life', as well, OBVIOUSLY.
Age wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:04 pm If yes, then okay.

No. Your behavior or act could be based on love but love cannot be either.
Okay. But you OBVIOUSLY do NOT YET understand the meaning, based on context.

Also, WHY is it absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for 'love' to be an action or behavior, to you?
Age wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:04 pm Also, if you are 'driven' by emotions, then this helps in explaining WHY you write some of the Incorrect things that you do.
I can resist emotions. I let act based on them when I think it is appropriate.
I suggest you STOP 'acting' and just START 'behaving', instead.

But each to their own.

Post by Age »

Age wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:05 pm
There is no value in life.
So, we are BACK to EXACTLY where we were when this STARTED. Which is;

You asked, "Where? I cannot find ANY meaning in life". And,

I replied, 'NO one can SHOW NOR REVEAL ANY thing to you, which you ALREADY BELIEVE WHOLEHEARTEDLY does NOT exist.'

You BELIEVE WHOLEHEARTEDLY that; "There is NO value in life".

WHICH MEANS that while you HOLD ONTO and MAINTAIN this BELIEF of YOURS, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the WHOLE of thee Universe that could show you otherwise.

When you just ACCEPT this IRREFUTABLE FACT, then you will STOP asking for things that OBVIOUSLY could NOT come about, and so STOP wasting 'yours' and "others" "time".

Now, if you REALLY can NOT find ANY value in life, then this means that there is either:

NO value in life.

You are NOT looking hard enough. Or,

You are being TOTALLY BLINDED by your OWN BELIEF that, "There is NO value in life".

Take you pick. But which one you WILL choose, is BLINDINGLY OBVIOUS.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

simplicity wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:15 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:34 pm In what way does responsibility give any meaning to life?

I think I might need a little more than this.
Perhaps we should ask what meaning is.

Meaning is similar to economic value. It is something that must be desired as well as something that must have a component of human effort [similar to a commodity having a market and the addition of labor-value]. Just like things that are "free" [i.e., widely available...like air] have no economic value, things that lack effort [the taking of responsibility] have no meaning. Again, meaning is what we add to things through our efforts/care.

This is why people who refuse to take responsibility are miserable. There is no free lunch. Although another can supply you with economic fruits, you will never have the satisfaction of doing for yourself [one of the many reasons why welfare systems destroy adults]. In the same vane, those [adults] who refuse to take responsibility are essentially children, completely dependent and living lives without meaning. Look out any window, you can see them by the millions...folks obsessed by all of the addictions that have taken the place of meaning in modern life.
That is a personal view.
You might do better to present it as such rather than try to push it as a generalised case.
A budhist would probably say that you shall never understand the world until you have let go all possession, expecially your responsibilities.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:23 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:34 pm In what way does responsibility give any meaning to life?

Meaning is similar to economic value. It is something that must be desired as well as something that must have a component of human effort [similar to a commodity having a market and the addition of labor-value]. Just like things that are "free" [i.e., widely available...like air] have no economic value, things that lack effort [the taking of responsibility] have no meaning. Again, meaning is what we add to things through our efforts/care.

This is why people who refuse to take responsibility are miserable. There is no free lunch. Although another can supply you with economic fruits, you will never have the satisfaction of doing for yourself [one of the many reasons why welfare systems destroy adults]. In the same vane, those [adults] who refuse to take responsibility are essentially children, completely dependent and living lives without meaning. Look out any window, you can see them by the millions...folks obsessed by all of the addictions that have taken the place of meaning in modern life.
Sculptor wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:23 pmThat is a personal view.
You might do better to present it as such rather than try to push it as a generalised case.
Do you believe I am capable of presenting anything other than my personal view?
Sculptor wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:23 pmA budhist would probably say that you shall never understand the world until you have let go all possession, expecially your responsibilities.
A Buddhist who truly understood would say nothing of the sort. Realization is simply seeing things as close to reality as is possible, nothing more.

Post by Age »

But you started this thread by making the claim that:
Assuming responsibility is what gives meaning to life.

And what this implies is that you have ALREADY asked the question;
What is meaning?

And, answered it, properly and correctly.

Now, if you have NOT ALREADY done this, then HOW could have arrived at the conclusion and made the claim; "Assuming responsibility is what gives meaning to life" Accurately, and conclusively?
simplicity wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:15 pm Meaning is similar to economic value. It is something that must be desired as well as something that must have a component of human effort [similar to a commodity having a market and the addition of labor-value].
Not necessarily so.

HOW, and WHY, did you arrive at this "conclusion"?
simplicity wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:15 pm Just like things that are "free" [i.e., widely available...like air] have no economic value, things that lack effort [the taking of responsibility] have no meaning. Again, meaning is what we add to things through our efforts/care.
This sounds like you are just 'trying to' "rationalize" and "justify" your ALREADY obtained and held onto BELIEFS.

In fact you appear to be putting some 'effort' into "rationalizing" your BELIEF here.
simplicity wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:15 pm This is why people who refuse to take responsibility are miserable.
There is said to be almost eight billion people alive, on the day when this was written, how many of these people did you interview for your claim here? What are you judging/assessing 'taking responsibility' on, EXACTLY? And, what are you judging/assessing 'miserable' on, EXACTLY?

And, when a person, let us say, 'takes responsibility' on one day, or on one morning, does this mean that they are "happy", on that morning or that day, but, if they do 'not take responsibility' that afternoon, or the following day, then they become "miserable" that afternoon or the following day?

Now, is it at all possible that the idea, "Assuming responsibility is what gives meaning to life", just arose in that head, you began BELIEVING that it is true, and now you are just 'trying to' find the "right" words that you hope will justify/prove true your BELIEFS here?
simplicity wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:15 pm There is no free lunch.
This does NOT, in ANY WAY, make your claim that, 'meaning of life is given by taking responsibility'.

This is NOT to say NOR claim that 'the (ACTUAL) meaning of life' is NOT uncovered or revealed during and while one is 'taking responsibility', but to say that just 'taking responsibility' is what gives meaning to life.

What gives 'meaning' to ANY thing is human beings, "themselves". Or, what the intrinsic value or nature of some 'thing' is within itself. Human beings doing some 'thing', like 'taking responsibility', by itself does NOT 'give' 'meaning' to ANY thing.
simplicity wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:15 pm Although another can supply you with economic fruits, you will never have the satisfaction of doing for yourself [one of the many reasons why welfare systems destroy adults].
You really do have, and take, a very narrowed, short sighted, and generalized view of things.

1. Not EVERY human being who refuses to 'take responsibility' are "miserable". I have observed MANY human beings, on MANY occasions, NOT 'take responsibility' and just go out with "others", as though they do not need to 'take responsibility', and enjoy life, living, and being alive.

2. Not EVERY adult who has accessed the welfare system has been "destroyed". I have observed MANY adults who have accessed the welfare system, and then go on and be NOT "destroyed".
simplicity wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:15 pm In the same vane, those [adults] who refuse to take responsibility are essentially children, completely dependent and living lives without meaning.
If you were Truly Honest and OPEN with us I can SHOW and REVEAL MANY TIMES when you are NOT 'taking responsibility'.

Or, do you ACTUALLY BELIEVE that you ALWAYS 'take responsibility'?
simplicity wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:15 pm Look out any window, you can see them by the millions...folks obsessed by all of the addictions that have taken the place of meaning in modern life.
And some of those things you are ALSO addicted to.

Or, do you REALLY BELIEVE that you are DIFFERENT from ALL of those "others"?

Instead of arguing for, and PROVING your claim here irrefutably True, what you are doing more is just using your claim to LOOK AT and JUDGE "others" for NOT being as "good" as you BELIEVE you are.

Talk about NOT 'taking responsibility' here.
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Every emotion and experience affects you.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Ansiktsburk wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:52 pm

Every emotion and experience affects you.
Yes, but I can resist it.