Responsibility

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

simplicity

Responsibility

Post by simplicity »

Assuming responsibility is what gives meaning to life.

It's all the "philosophy" any [thinking] person needs.
Veritas Aequitas

Re: Responsibility

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

That will not work if one do have any reasonable grounds to base one's responsibility on.
If one do not have reasonable grounds, then would be steering one's life like a captain steering his ship in rough waters full of rocks and cliffs without a lighthouse or maps.

As I had justified, ALL humans are "programmed" to ensure the survival of the individual[s] and therefrom the species, and vice-versa.
As such for whatever each human is rightly responsible for, it is reducible to the above.

Post by Age »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:41 am That will not work if one do have any reasonable grounds to base one's responsibility on.
If one do not have reasonable grounds, then would be steering one's life like a captain steering his ship in rough waters full of rocks and cliffs without a lighthouse or maps.

As I had justified, ALL humans are "programmed" to ensure the survival of the individual[s] and therefrom the species, and vice-versa.
As such for whatever each human is rightly responsible for, it is reducible to the above.
Considering the fact that EVERY human being "dies", to conclude that one has "justified" that ALL humans are "programmed" to ensure the survival of 'the individual', is just plain old absurd to the extreme.
stevie

Post by stevie »

simplicity wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:15 am Assuming responsibility is what gives meaning to life.

Some individuals may impute meaning to their lives through taking on responsibilities but I don't think that this approach can be generally valid. First of all the premise that there should be meaning isn't generally valid and second even if someone is seeking a satisfactory idea of "meaning" why shouldn't she/he be successful without taking on responsibilities?
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

simplicity wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:15 am Assuming responsibility is what gives meaning to life.
Being, I humbly declare, a Black Belt responsibility assumer, that sounds like absolute rubbish. It gives SOME meaning. But for instance reading a good book, enriching your brain is way more meaningful. To be able to have time to do that, and other things that enrich your brain, the only known and observed miracle maker in universe, people do of course have to take responsibilities to create a society where brains flourish. But the resposibility as such, is it really more than a collectivist IQ 95 activity?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Assuming responsibility is not the only thing that gives meaning to life. Love gives meaning to life. Love is not a responsibility.
bahman

Post by bahman »

There is no meaning in life. Have you ever experienced that? Some take responsibility because life/society dictates it to them. Others don't take responsibility and get trashed by life/society.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

bahman wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:49 pm Some take responsibility because life/society dictates it to them. Others don't take responsibility and get trashed by life/society.
But does that mean there’s no meaning in life?
bahman

Post by bahman »

commonsense wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:15 pm
bahman wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:49 pm Some take responsibility because life/society dictates it to them. Others don't take responsibility and get trashed by life/society.
But does that mean there’s no meaning to life?
What is the meaning? Have you experienced that?
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:41 am That will not work if one do have any reasonable grounds to base one's responsibility on.

Whatever the [legit] responsibility is...is enough. Therefore, the more responsibility you take on, the more meaning your life has [keeping the balance being essential].
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

stevie wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:57 am Some individuals may impute meaning to their lives through taking on responsibilities but I don't think that this approach can be generally valid. First of all the premise that there should be meaning isn't generally valid and second even if someone is seeking a satisfactory idea of "meaning" why shouldn't she/he be successful without taking on responsibilities?
Observe people who refuse to take on responsibility. They are miserable. The narcissism that is so pervasive in Western culture present a perfect petri dish to study folks who were raised without any sense of responsibility. They are a mess.

What kind of success can be had in a life without meaning?
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Ansiktsburk wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:41 am
Being, I humbly declare, a Black Belt responsibility assumer, that sounds like absolute rubbish. It gives SOME meaning. But for instance reading a good book, enriching your brain is way more meaningful. To be able to have time to do that, and other things that enrich your brain, the only known and observed miracle maker in universe, people do of course have to take responsibilities to create a society where brains flourish. But the resposibility as such, is it really more than a collectivist IQ 95 activity?
It is the sum total of all of your responsibilities that counts. There is nothing wrong with any leisure time activity as long as you have achieved the correct balance in your life.

How much sweeter is the fruit that has been harvested from a seedling you brought to maturity with care?
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

bahman wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:49 pm There is no meaning in life. Have you ever experienced that? Some take responsibility because life/society dictates it to them. Others don't take responsibility and get trashed by life/society.
There is meaning everywhere if you choose to see [accept] it.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

commonsense wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:34 pm
Assuming responsibility is not the only thing that gives meaning to life. Love gives meaning to life. Love is not a responsibility.
Love is not a responsibility? I am not sure too many folks would agree with you there.

To me, love is The Ultimate responsibility [more than life itself] which is why it give folks the most meaning in their lives.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

simplicity wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:54 pm
commonsense wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:34 pm
Love is not a responsibility? I am not sure too many folks would agree with you there.

To me, love is The Ultimate responsibility [more than life itself] which is why it give folks the most meaning in their lives.
Love is a feeling. It is not a duty. Love makes life better, but it is not a requirement for life. It is not necessary to obtain or take on love.

But if love is the ultimate responsibility, greater than survival, I would certainly have to agree.