Dichotomies Exist Even Under 3+ Distinctions

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Eodnhoj7

Dichotomies Exist Even Under 3+ Distinctions

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

If I divide a phenomenon a dichotomy occurs between what the phenomenon is and what it is not. This dualism between being and non-being is grounded as a dichotomy. Even if I divide a phenomenon into three parts a dichotomy arises where one part is what it is and the remaining phenomena, as a set, are not said phenomenon. All division begins with a dichotomy between "being" and "absence of being" and this dualistic division crosses all distinctions even if more than two are made.

So while claiming "division does not result in a dichotomy" but "a dichotomy results in division" I have to state the distinctions between these two statements are ambiguous considering one term is always dependent upon another, ie "division" is dependent upon "dichotomy". This ambiguity allows one thing, ie "division", to equivocate with another thing, "ie dichotomy". Distinction as a dichotomy always has an element of mutually exclusiveness considering all similar phenomenon contain sub elements which are mutually exclusive. There may be phenomena x, y, and z which at first glance have similarities but upon further analysis contain elements which exclude each other. To say "x" is to dually say "not x as y and z". To say "y" is to dually say "not y as x and z". To say "z" is to dually say "not z as y and x". Even amidst a trifold of distinctions a dualistic form of mutual exclusiveness occurs where you have "x" and "not x as ..."