Definition of Philosophy

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Jori

Definition of Philosophy

Post by Jori »

My own definition of philosophy: Philosophy is the methodical study of the nature and principles of abstract concepts such as reality, knowledge, morality, religion, society, and politics, by means of logical reasoning and critical thinking. Did I miss anything?
Veritas Aequitas

Re: Definition of Philosophy

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Yes, you have missed the critical function of what is philosophy.

The question is WHY do humans need,
"[a] the methodical study of the nature and principles of abstract concepts such as reality, knowledge, morality, religion, society, and politics, by means of logical reasoning and critical thinking."

WHY? and a few 'WHYs' thereafter.

Thus "what is philosophy" must always be qualified with its 'why' especially when we are doing philosophy at present and not merely semantics nor language games.

Post by Age »

Jori wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:16 am My own definition of philosophy: Philosophy is the methodical study of the nature and principles of abstract concepts such as reality, knowledge, morality, religion, society, and politics, by means of logical reasoning and critical thinking. Did I miss anything?
HOW could ANY thing be 'missed' with "another's" own definition?

If that is your definition, then that is what it is. End of story.

Post by Age »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:39 am Yes, you have missed the critical function of what is philosophy.

The question is WHY do humans need,
"[a] the methodical study of the nature and principles of abstract concepts such as reality, knowledge, morality, religion, society, and politics, by means of logical reasoning and critical thinking."

WHY? and a few 'WHYs' thereafter.

Thus "what is philosophy" must always be qualified with its 'why' especially when we are doing philosophy at present and not merely semantics nor language games.
WHY would you even ASSUME humans 'need' any such thing as this above? Obviously they do NOT.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

I don't see that the answer to '"what?" must also answer "why?", though that is not to deny that "why?" can be a more important question.
Veritas Aequitas

mickthinks wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:06 pm I don't see that the answer to '"what?" must also answer "why?", though that is not to deny that "why?" can be a more important question.
In the case of philosophy and for philosophical sake, the 'WHY' is very critical.

Without the 'why' then one can easily state 'because I define it so' and you don't have any grounds to counter it.
This why it is said, the number of definitions of 'what is philosophy' is the same as the number of people who attempted to define it.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Without the 'why' then one can easily state 'because I define it so' ...
This makes no sense. One can easily state 'because I define it so' with or without the "why". The "why" provides no obstacle or constraint on "because I say so". On the contrary, it provides something else that can be unilaterally asserted.

... and you don't have any grounds to counter it.
Of course you do! If a definition is flawed, "because I say so" does nothing to prevent the flaws from being examined.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Jori wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:16 am My own definition of philosophy: Philosophy is the methodical study of the nature and principles of abstract concepts such as reality, knowledge, morality, religion, society, and politics, by means of logical reasoning and critical thinking. Did I miss anything?
There really is not a, "thing," called philosophy. It's not a particular discipline, like music, or chemistry, or history. It's essentially an approach to knowledge at its most fundamental level, and as such, is a totally failed effort. Ninety nine percent of the corpus of recorded, "philosophy," is worse than nonsense and more dangerous than any religion. H.L. Mencken correctly described it thus:
Philosophy consists very largely of one philosopher arguing that all others are jackasses. He usually proves it, and I should add that he also usually proves that he is one himself.
Jori

Post by Jori »

How about this. Philosophy is the love of wisdom.

Post by Age »

Jori wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:32 am How about this. Philosophy is the love of wisdom.
That is what the word 'phil-o-sophy', literally, once meant.

But like ANY word ANY one can make it mean whatever they want or like.

Now, if ANY one is still a True 'philosopher', like EVERY human being was and is at birth, in the context of your definition above, then all they have to do is just remain Truly OPEN. Which just means NOT BELIEVING and BEING CURIOS.

Simple, really.
Veritas Aequitas

RCSaunders wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:19 pm
There really is not a, "thing," called philosophy. It's not a particular discipline, like music, or chemistry, or history. It's essentially an approach to knowledge at its most fundamental level, and as such, is a totally failed effort. Ninety nine percent of the corpus of recorded, "philosophy," is worse than nonsense and more dangerous than any religion. H.L. Mencken correctly described it thus:
Philosophy consists very largely of one philosopher arguing that all others are jackasses. He usually proves it, and I should add that he also usually proves that he is one himself.
There you go again with your shallow and narrow thinking.

The point is 'philosophy' is reducible to an inherent human impulse to facilitate its "teleological" mission of 'survival' of the human species [not specifically of the individual(s)].

The problem with this inherent impulse is, it is very vague and hidden within the psyche of humans whilst most are aware of its wide ranging outer manifestations.

This is why the originally philosophy was instinctively associated with 'wisdom' i.e. the "optimal application of knowledge on hand" or "a way of life" which is directed ultimately to the survival of the individual[s] and critically therefrom to that of humanity as a species.

Because the inherent impulse of 'philosophy' is vague and hidden, it has been hijacked as 'normative philosophy' and bastardized especially as academic philosophy.

The most effective understand of "what is philosophy" [teleologically for survival] is to trace its inherent impulse to the human brain and to discover how they are represented by which neural networks. Therefrom we will be able to make more expeditious progress re 'What is philosophy' for the effective and optimal survival of the human species.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:39 am
RCSaunders wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:19 pm
There you go again with your shallow and narrow thinking.

The point is 'philosophy' is reducible to an inherent human impulse to facilitate its "teleological" mission of 'survival' of the human species [not specifically of the individual(s)].

The problem with this inherent impulse is, it is very vague and hidden within the psyche of humans whilst most are aware of its wide ranging outer manifestations.

This is why the originally philosophy was instinctively associated with 'wisdom' i.e. the "optimal application of knowledge on hand" or "a way of life" which is directed ultimately to the survival of the individual[s] and critically therefrom to that of humanity as a species.

Because the inherent impulse of 'philosophy' is vague and hidden, it has been hijacked as 'normative philosophy' and bastardized especially as academic philosophy.

The most effective understand of "what is philosophy" [teleologically for survival] is to trace its inherent impulse to the human brain and to discover how they are represented by which neural networks. Therefrom we will be able to make more expeditious progress re 'What is philosophy' for the effective and optimal survival of the human species.
Everything you say is an excellent example of exactly what philosophy is--academic nonsense.
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Maybe : Free thinking done by the guy who was best in class growing up. :)
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

philosophy- a series of classes (usually electives) that one takes to earn a degree in the "arts"

-Imp
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Try this:

Philosophy is the application of mental faculties to conceptual problems in the belief that one's intelligence and imagination can deliver better understanding and improved results over what passes for "common sense".