For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: Limitations

Post by Belinda »

simplicity wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:42 pm
Belinda wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:30 pm
simplicity wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:00 pm

Embittered people are those who do what they want...successful people are those who do what they must.

Seeing things as close to what they are is the greatest skill one can cultivate.
"Must" indeed! How inauthentic is that! Sartre would grind up and throw away that "must" .
Inauthentic. What exactly does that mean?
To be inauthentic is to be in bad faith. Bad faith is denial of ability , such as it be, to make a free moral and practical choice, and to deny moral responsibility for what was freely chosen.

There are 'successful' people who deny and distort facts about how they managed to be 'successful'. Better to admit you are selfish and greedy and shame the devil, as that is a start at least towards shedding bad faith.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:54 am
Belinda wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:30 pm

"Must" indeed! How inauthentic is that! Sartre would grind up and throw away that "must" .
To be inauthentic is to be in bad faith. Bad faith is denial of ability , such as it be, to make a free moral and practical choice, and to deny moral responsibility for what was freely chosen.

There are 'successful' people who deny and distort facts about how they managed to be 'successful'. Better to admit you are selfish and greedy and shame the devil, as that is a start at least towards shedding bad faith.
Thank you for the explanation.

Why do you assume that "successful" only applies to financial gains? I believe it is well-understood that we live in an era of massive corruption and much of the financial success people are having is the result of all kinds of fraud and other non-sense.

Success to me means living a balanced life.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

simplicity wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:29 pm

Why do you assume that "successful" only applies to financial gains? I believe it is well-understood that we live in an era of massive corruption and much of the financial success people are having is the result of all kinds of fraud and other non-sense.

The meaning of 'successful ' depends on the word's context. Note I put single inverted commas around the word. You are probably in the minority who use the word 'successful' to mean anything other than worldly gains of wealth, sex, fame, good health, or financial solvency and so forth.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:21 pm

The meaning of 'successful ' depends on the word's context. Note I put single inverted commas around the word. You are probably in the minority who use the word 'successful' to mean anything other than worldly gains of wealth, sex, fame, good health, or financial solvency and so forth.
I would argue that there is nothing wrong with any of these things if they are in balance.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

simplicity wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:55 pm
Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:21 pm

I would argue that there is nothing wrong with any of these things if they are in balance.
It's the nature of the balance that intellligent people are discussing. People who are bigoted are not bothered by balance
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:52 am It's the nature of the balance that intellligent people are discussing. People who are bigoted are not bothered by balance
It sounds like you are bigoted against people who you believe are bigoted.

People are what they are. You can only control your own behavior. Human nature has been this way for 200,000 years and isn't going to be changing anytime soon.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

simplicity wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:10 pm
Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:52 am It's the nature of the balance that intellligent people are discussing. People who are bigoted are not bothered by balance

People are what they are. You can only control your own behavior. Human nature has been this way for 200,000 years and isn't going to be changing anytime soon.
Why are you here? Do you want to learn anything? I'm afraid you come across as simply wanting to complain.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:15 pm

Why are you here? Do you want to learn anything? I'm afraid you come across as simply wanting to complain.
I am here to chat with interesting folks about all kinds of things. Why are you here?

Oh, I get it, if I don't agree with you, I am complaining and not learning.

Btw, what would you care to teach me? If you follow these conversations, it's all about people seeking affirmation for their personal reality. People are welcome to subscribe to whatever reality they wish, but I've kind of got my own which works quite well for me, thank you very much.

And although [occasionally] somebody says something really interesting in these discussions, each individual's own experience is ALWAYS their best teacher.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

simplicity wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:35 pm
Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:15 pm

I am here to chat with interesting folks about all kinds of things. Why are you here?

Oh, I get it, if I don't agree with you, I am complaining and not learning.

Btw, what would you care to teach me? If you follow these conversations, it's all about people seeking affirmation for their personal reality. People are welcome to subscribe to whatever reality they wish, but I've kind of got my own which works quite well for me, thank you very much.

And although [occasionally] somebody says something really interesting in these discussions, each individual's own experience is ALWAYS their best teacher.
Yes but how you interpret your own experience is a further step you need to take.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Belinda wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:48 am Yes but how you interpret your own experience is a further step you need to take.
So you are trying to teach me that how I am interpreting my own experience is not accurate?

Exactly how would you know this is the case?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

simplicity wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:33 pm
Belinda wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:48 am Yes but how you interpret your own experience is a further step you need to take.
So you are trying to teach me that how I am interpreting my own experience is not accurate?

I think you don't want to be taught so I won't even try.

BTW I was taught something today by a poster who has very different opinions from mine.I enjoy being informed by someone else.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Belinda wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:06 pm

BTW I was taught something today by a poster who has very different opinions from mine.I enjoy being informed by someone else.
[Like most here] you probably went to school for many, many years. Perhaps you have a masters or doctorate degree? Of all of those years of teachers attempting to impart [viz., cram down your throat] information, how much did you retain? Compare that to actually doing something yourself.

Listening to somebody going on about what they think can sometimes be amusing, but what's the chance that whomever's reality has anything to do with your own? Don't worry so much about what other people think. Learn the old fashioned way by doing the hard work yourself.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

simplicity wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:17 pm

[Like most here] you probably went to school for many, many years. Perhaps you have a masters or doctorate degree? Of all of those years of teachers attempting to impart [viz., cram down your throat] information, how much did you retain? Compare that to actually doing something yourself.

Listening to somebody going on about what they think can sometimes be amusing, but what's the chance that whomever's reality has anything to do with your own? Don't worry so much about what other people think. Learn the old fashioned way by doing the hard work yourself.
What I learned from a poster here today was a matter of historical fact, not an idea, so no problem there.

|As for learning ideas from others I can learn only what ideas I am ready to learn. Modern school teachers don't cram kids, thank goodness!They teach the kid what he is ready to learn.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Belinda wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:28 pm
simplicity wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:17 pm

What I learned from a poster here today was a matter of historical fact, not an idea, so no problem there.

|As for learning ideas from others I can learn only what ideas I am ready to learn. Modern school teachers don't cram kids, thank goodness!They teach the kid what he is ready to learn.
Historical fact? Unless you were there, I would always be a bit skeptical [keeping in mind exactly who is penning said history].

Modern school teachers [on the whole] are kind of a joke. Not that there aren't really excellent teachers out there, but look at the state of education in this country...calling it a train-wreck would be waaaaaaay too kind.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

simplicity wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:01 pm Not that there aren't really excellent teachers out there, ...
If someone calls themself a teacher and practices their profession in a GSDP (Government Child Day Prison) aka, "public school," they are not a teacher, they are a propaganda spreader and mind destroyer. If there are any, "excellent teachers," they aren't employees of any government agency.