Empiricism

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: Empiricism

Post by Skepdick »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:57 am It is waste of time trying to be a smart alec in this case.
The principle here is that a Contradiction-in-General do not exist and cannot be real.
The intended example re square-circle in the typical sense is merely to denote such a contradiction.
That's all fine. But you used square circles as an example of a "contradiction" (something that doesn't exist). And I am pointing out that square circles exist just fine.

So I am simply asking what the difference would be between an empirical and a non-empirical square circle.

I could just as well have asked what the difference would be between empirical and non-empirical thirst.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:57 am A two-sided triangle is a contradiction
No, it's not. Is just incoherent.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:57 am
and I can bring in 100s or 1000s of examples of other contradictions.
Well, no. You can't. Because contradictions don't exist and cannot be real (these are your words).

So if you bring me ANY examples of what you call a "contradiction" then those examples would obviously exist as real! See the problem?
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:42 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:41 pm Given the probabilistic nature of empiricism given a long enough timeline of events anything is possible.
Yes, as long as that-whatever-is-possible is within the empirical domain, i.e. verifiable empirically.

Whatever is transcendentally outside the empirical domain cannot be empirically possible, e.g. the idea of God which is abstracted and concluded by Pure Reason only.
God as the totality of being, with the totality of being necessitating empirical observation, necessitates God as not only empirical but fundamentally existing.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:17 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:41 pm Given the probabilistic nature of empiricism given a long enough timeline of events anything is possible.
If philosophy is the activity of drawing fundamental distinctions, and if the possible/impossible distinction is seen as a fundamental distinction.

Then you are thinking like David Deutsch
If the "possible/impossible distinction" is connected to the nature of "fundamental distinction" then philosophy is grounded in the nature of observing connections given one type of "distinction" is connected to another type of "distinction".
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

simplicity wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:38 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:41 pm ...anything is possible.
This might be the ultimate expression of human intellectual folly.
"Anything is possible" is possible given the appropriate context as context allows for possibility. With the expansion of context comes the expansion of possibility.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

bahman wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:05 pm
The universe is infinite therefore anything is possible. By waiting long enough you cannot reach an infinite future therefore anything is not possible if you wait enough long.
That would necessitate the premise of the universe being subject to only one observer. With the passing of one observer to another "anything" is eventually observed as there are infinite observers following through the infinite timeline.

I think you are stating, however, that under the presence of infinite time things are always finite (thus negating anything being possible at anyone moment). However I would disagree with this given

1. an infinite timeline as summated as one moment (viewing all time from outside of time) results in not only all that is possible existing but anything existing in some way shape or form due to the connection of previously disconnected contexts.

2. Anything being possible given the low probability of occurence eventually being actualized within this summation of all time under one moment.

3. Anything being possible requires a negation of forms as "anything" is a negation of a specific static form. All time, infinitely progressing yet summated under one moment of "totality", is fundamentally formless thus equivocable to "anything".
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:40 pm
It is not possible that anything in the past ever be different than it was. It is not possible for anything to both be and not be. It is not possible that you have any idea of what you are talking about.

Einstein was right. The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
1. With the possibility of time travel comes the possibility of changing the past.

2. It is possible for anything to both be and not be through grades. A shade of yellow, such as reddish yellow, is both yellow and non-yellow

3. Do you know completely what you are talking about?
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:00 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:41 pm ...anything is possible.
"Anything is possible" is possible given the appropriate context as context allows for possibility. With the expansion of context comes the expansion of possibility.
What does, "anything is possible," actually mean?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Skepdick, that diagram you posted of squaring the circle is exciting! If it were possible to draw a Euclidean point, would you rather have drawn it instead of a red circle?

There is an ontological idea in here somehow. I think it is something to do with my current interest in nexuses.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

simplicity wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:36 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:00 pm
What does, "anything is possible," actually mean?
If anything is possible then reality at its core is formless given anything results in multiple contradictory phenomenon occuring.