We are on our own

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

We are on our own

Post by Lacewing »

Whether or not we’ve had parents capable of parenting, or schooling to help us advance further in life, or true friends we can rely on, or a loving partner to share a path with, or a job we can enjoy, or a government that is capable of governing and responding in ways that suit us, or a god we can imagine/believe in for comfort... it has been my impression that we are on our own.

It is up to each of us to create, survive, and make the best we can of our life experience. We need to be self-sufficient in mind, body, spirit –- divining our next moves amidst the shifting landscape of challenges and rewards in life. It may be tempting to want to believe in something or someone else to have our back when things get the roughest... but, we may discover, at those times, they will likely have to take care of themselves or other duties.

I’m just now reminded that the very few times I’ve needed emergency help from a neighbor, everyone was gone! Very strange... and kinda brings it home: how it’s ultimately up to each of us and we need to be there for ourselves. I also remember seeing a lady during Hurricane Katrina who was outraged as she screamed into the camera “Where is the government?! Why aren’t they helping us?!” That really struck me because I honestly wouldn’t even think of the government or anyone coming to my aid in a disaster. The people/organizations who do show up are angels... but it doesn’t even occur to me to expect it.

Blaming life, the world, or anyone for not being there for us is surely misdirecting the responsibility for ourselves. Although life makes no promises, it has a lot to offer those who don’t reject it or take it for granted.

What if we set aside our expectations and demands of life, and look at it with fresh eyes each day? What might we see about life and ourselves that we’re otherwise missing? It doesn’t have to meet our vision or agendas. It is an impersonal wonderland. And I think that’s exactly what’s great about it! Being on our own in such a place is a fantastic adventure. Regardless of what we make-up... life and this planet are just here as a space for our creativity. Rather than asking why that is (as if we could know)... I've felt more compelled to ask: what are we creating? That’s what we have some control over -- that's the product of our existence -- so that seems to be the place to look for insights, yes?
simplicity

Re: We are on our own

Post by simplicity »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:23 am Rather than asking why that is (as if we could know)... I've felt more compelled to ask: what are we creating? That’s what we have some control over -- that's the product of our existence -- so that seems to be the place to look for insights, yes?
Thinking will lead you astray as gaining insight is the natural product of engaging/doing.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

simplicity wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:25 am
Lacewing wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:23 am Rather than asking why that is (as if we could know)... I've felt more compelled to ask: what are we creating? That’s what we have some control over -- that's the product of our existence -- so that seems to be the place to look for insights, yes?
Thinking will lead you astray as gaining insight is the natural product of engaging/doing.
I gain insights from observing and simply being too.

Thinking can be a dance of the mind -- but too much obsessive thought seems to drown out clarity.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:41 pm
simplicity wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:25 am
I gain insights from observing and simply being too.

Thinking can be a dance of the mind -- but too much obsessive thought seems to drown out clarity.
So long as the 'obsessive' thought is rational, clarity may actually not drown but surface.