Solving Climate Change.

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

simplicity

Re: Solving Climate Change.

Post by simplicity »

Vitruvius wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:29 pm
Vitruvius wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:00 pmEveryone can predict the future. The difficult part is to do so accurately. To accurately predict the future, you have to understand the causes of effects. The physical causes of climate change are fairly simple. The thicker the atmosphere, the more heat it holds. The principle was first used to explain the surprisingly high surface temperature of Venus. So, are you saying the thick atmosphere of Venus isn't the reason for the unusually high surface temperature? Are you saying that, if we make earth's atmosphere thicker - the temperature won't change?
simplicity wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:48 pmObviously you are not a student of history as looking rearward reveals that few have had any clue as to what the future holds because 99% of what makes the future what it is has not yet occurred. Factor that in with the notion that our pea brains are capable of exceedingly little as well as having absolutely no access to Reality what-so-ever, revealed by the idea that our perception exists in the past [time lag].
Vitruvius wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:29 pmThat's untrue. I could explain at great length how and why this kind of subjectivist bullshit is promoted by philosophy, but it would then appear I'm responding to your accusation of ignorance by demonstrating my historical knowledge. Instead, I'll give you the evolutionary explanation of why subjectivism is wrong. If our senses were not accurate to reality, we could not have survived.
Please don't hold back your feelings [which is exactly what you are sharing]. Explain why we would not be able to survive if our senses were not accurate to reality. What we can process is rudimentary, at best. Do you really believe that anything thought to be true today will also be thought to be true in 100 or 500 years?
simplicity wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:48 pmIn my life, the "experts" said we were going to have another ice age and now we are all going to fry. Seems like they have covered all the bases in a short period of time.
Vitruvius wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:29 pmI believe that's an urban myth based on a media misrepresentation of science. Or at least, every-time someone has mentioned this, and I've challenged them to produce the paper - no-one has ever done so. It's just a right wing, climate change denial talking point - throwing flak in the air to hide the reality, and excuse continued fossil fuel use.
I get it. What you believe is the hard, fast truth and what doesn't fit your narrative is urban legend. Makes sense.
simplicity wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:48 pmPeople seem to worry about everything except what they can direct control [their own behavior].
Then control yourself. You've been told, whether climate is real - is not up for debate here. If you want to discuss that topic, start your own thread.
This thread is about solving climate change.
My friend, everything is changing all the time. Welcome to the physical world. What is causing the changes is another matter [that obviously you have figured out already].

As long as you're going to solve the climate change thing, can you lower the humidity a little? Also, can you work on getting rid of the gnats and I'd like an extra hour/hour and half of daylight during December and January, as well? Can you put that on my account? Thanks!
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

simplicity wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:48 pm My friend,
We're not friends. This was the only meaningful thing in your post worth responding to - which is why we are not friends. I cannot begin to comprehend the attitude I've met with on this forum. Did you know that philosophy translates as 'love of wisdom.' I have found no wisdom here - nor even basic courtesy. Could you please take your adolescent assholery elsewhere? Thanks!
Last edited by Vitruvius on Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

If COP 26 (in the UK in October/November) follows the same pattern as the previous 25 such meetings, the biggest achievement will be the group photo! 25 years they've been meeting to discuss climate change - and we are still doomed. Why? This is not a rhetorical question. It needn't be so.

Technologically speaking, we could solve climate change - and if we'd started 25 years ago with that aim in mind, we'd be on top of it by now. However, IMO - because the right have stuck their head in the sand on climate change, the narrative has been dominated by left wing thought, based in Malthusian pessimism and limits to resources, feeding into anti-capitalist politics, and as a consequence - it seems, the idea of solving climate change has never even been considered. Every measure assumes we must back down, tax this, stop that, have less and pay more. This is absolutely the wrong approach.

The Malthusian prophecy of mass starvation, resulting from the disparity between geometric population growth and arithmetic agricultural development, was overcome through the development of new technologies - tractors and fertilizers. Food production has outpaced population growth through the application of technology. Technology multiplies resources - so how can there be a limit to resources? Apply the right technologies, and there is no inherent limit.

The earth is a big ball of molten rock - containing a virtually limitless amount of energy. If we harnessed that energy, we could extract carbon from the atmosphere and sequester it, produce limitless amounts of clean electricity, hydrogen fuel, desalinate water to irrigate land, recycle - it's not that complicated. Technologically, we could solve climate change. Why haven't we?

Post by Age »

Vitruvius wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:53 pm
Age wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:41 amAnd YET I NEVER even said ANY thing like that.
So, what are you saying then?
What I was saying is in the ACTUAL WORDS that I used. But feel FREE to PRESUME or ASSUME what was MEANT, ANYWAY you like, okay?

Post by Age »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:19 pm
Vitruvius wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:53 pm
Age wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:41 amAnd YET I NEVER even said ANY thing like that.
So, what are you saying then?
A word of advice - if you want your thread to be about climate change and your preferred sci-fi fix for it, you need to not engage with Age.

He has a one track mind dedicated to the "simple solution" he has for all of the word's problems, not just that one. He will make your thread be about that, and yet you will never understand what this thing he is selling even is; he will only tell you that you have failed to understand because you aren't asking open enough questions. If you want to poke that turd, let him hijcack a stupid thread about something you aren't interested in, and do so there, all conversations with him are the same anyway irrespective of OP.
Or, if ANY one REALLY wants to LEARN how to solve ALL problems, then ALL they have to do is just become Truly Honest about the Wrong that they Truly do and just be Truly serious about Wanting to CHANGE for the better. That way what is causing ANY human made environmental can and WILL be solved, or fixed.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Age wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:43 am What I was saying is in the ACTUAL WORDS that I used. But feel FREE to PRESUME or ASSUME what was MEANT, ANYWAY you like, okay?
I'm not having a discussion about the discussion. Let it go.
For anyone still not clear on the concept, this thread is about how to solve climate change.
My OP explains an approach that does not imply taxes and price rises to supress demand.
If you'd rather pay more and have less - keep it up!

Post by Age »

Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:14 am
simplicity wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:48 pm My friend,
We're not friends. This was the only meaningful thing in your post worth responding to - which is why we are not friends. I cannot begin to comprehend the attitude I've met with on this forum. Did you know that philosophy translates as 'love of wisdom.' I have found no wisdom here - nor even basic courtesy. Could you please take your adolescent assholery elsewhere? Thanks!
You made the claim that we could solve, so called, 'climate change', and then asked WHY have we not solved 'climate change'?

I informed you, because of 'greed', itself.

If you REALLY did have a 'love of wisdom', then you would be OPEN, and CURIOUS. And, if you were, then you could DISCOVER how you could STOP being 'greedy', which WOULD solve the "climate change' issue, ONCE and FOR ALL.

Now, if you REALLY do have a 'love of wisdom', in order to become wiser, then a Truly OPEN and PEACEFUL two-way discussion is NEEDED.

So,

Firstly, what does the term 'climate change' mean or refer to, to you?

Secondly, what do you envision causes 'climate change'?

Be Honest with your answers, then we can move forward to becoming wiser.

Post by Age »

Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:02 am
Age wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:43 am What I was saying is in the ACTUAL WORDS that I used. But feel FREE to PRESUME or ASSUME what was MEANT, ANYWAY you like, okay?
I'm not having a discussion about the discussion. Let it go.
You brought 'it' up, through discussing.
Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:02 amFor anyone still not clear on the concept, this thread is about how to solve climate change.
And I have INFORMED you what CAUSES 'climate change'. Now that you have the CAUSE, you therefore have the SOLUTION, as well.

In other words, when you STOP being 'greedy', then you will also STOP 'climate change'.
Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:02 amMy OP explains an approach that does not imply taxes and price rises to supress demand.
So, you explain an approach, AND, you asked WHY have we not used that approach. I just answered the ACTUAL question you posed and asked. If what you REALLY want is something different, then do NOT ask a question.
Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:02 am If you'd rather pay more and have less - keep it up!
I TELL you that 'greed', which is having the LOVE OF MONEY (compared to having the LOVE OF WISDOM) CAUSES 'climate change', and you INSTANTLY JUMP to talking about MONEY, and about MORE or LESS of it.

The BLINDNESS here is just about UNBELIEVABLE.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Age wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:11 am I TELL you that 'greed', which is having the LOVE OF MONEY (compared to having the LOVE OF WISDOM) CAUSES 'climate change', and you INSTANTLY JUMP to talking about MONEY, and about MORE or LESS of it. The BLINDNESS here is just about UNBELIEVABLE.
Greed does not explain anything. It's not definable, less yet measurable. What you call greed, I call success. Do you not understand that people acting upon their rational economic interests allows for the production of goods and services without totalitarian political control? Do you really want a dictatorial government that construes human needs and wants as greed? Do you have only what you need and no more? Do you really need the internet? If you're not greedy, switch it off!
Age wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:05 am Firstly, what does the term 'climate change' mean or refer to, to you?

The first question entails the second. I could not explain what climate change means without explaining what causes it. So, scratch question two.

Climate change refers to anthropogenic climate change - which is to say, an alteration of the composition of the atmosphere caused by fossil fuel use over the past 300 years. Naturally, carbon is sequestered through processes of fossilization - and this has been going on for billions of years. We have reversed that natural process by digging up coal, oil and gas and burning it - putting large amounts of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases back into the atmosphere. This traps more energy in the atmosphere, leading to rising global temperatures and more volatile weather - which in turn threatens civilisation in numerous ways: hurricanes, floods, forest fires, crop failures, droughts, famines, sea level rise etc. It's very serious - and we need to address it. The question is how?

The kneejerk left wing dominated narrative makes moralistic arguments like greed, but that's just sustainability used as an anti-capitalist battering ram, and my post proves that - because technologically, it's not necessary to undermine capitalism to solve climate change. If the left were actually concerned about climate change, they'd be promoting the same carbon free alternate energy source I am - not dictatorial government imposing poverty on people - while still pumping oil. Assuming we can drill for magma energy - and I think it's entirely feasible, we would not need to pay more and have less, beneath the jack boot of an increasingly authoritarian government to solve climate change. No-one need have a carbon footprint. There's immense energy in the molten interior of the earth, and as a matter of physical fact, resources are a function of the energy available to create them. So, given enough clean energy we can continue to prosper.

Post by Age »

Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 am
Age wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:11 am I TELL you that 'greed', which is having the LOVE OF MONEY (compared to having the LOVE OF WISDOM) CAUSES 'climate change', and you INSTANTLY JUMP to talking about MONEY, and about MORE or LESS of it. The BLINDNESS here is just about UNBELIEVABLE.
Greed does not explain anything. It's not definable, less yet measurable.
If this is what you BELIEVE is true, then OBVIOUSLY you will NOT become any MORE WISER.
Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 am What you call greed, I call success.
LOL So now you TELL ME what I think and even mean. This could NOT get any more CLOSED.

To me, 'greed' has absolutely NOTHING AT ALL to do with, so called, "success". But you are FREE to BELIEVE whatever you life.
Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 am Do you not understand that people acting upon their rational economic interests allows for the production of goods and services without totalitarian political control?
This has absolutely NO bearing on absolutely ANY thing I have been saying, and POINTING OUT.
Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 am Do you really want a dictatorial government that construes human needs and wants as greed?
You are just getting FURTHER and FURTHER AWAY from what I have been ACTUALLY talking about.
Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 am Do you only have what you need and no more? Do you really need the internet? If you're not greedy, switch it off!
AGAIN, your ASSUMPTIONS have DISTRACTED you completely.

You asked WHY have we not solved 'climate change'? I was just providing you with the ACTUAL cause of WHY.

Either we can discuss this, or you can BELIEVE whatever you want to BELIEVE. The choice is yours alone.
Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 am
Age wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:05 am Firstly, what does the term 'climate change' mean or refer to, to you?

The first question entails the second. I could not explain what climate change means without explaining what causes it. So, scratch question two.

Climate change refers to anthropogenic climate change - which is to say, an alteration of the composition of the atmosphere caused by fossil fuel use over the past 300 years.
So, very basically and essentially, to you, 'climate change' is caused by human behaviors.
Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 am Naturally, carbon is sequestered through processes of fossilization - and this has been going on for billions of years. We have reversed that natural process by digging up coal, oil and gas and burning it - putting large amounts of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases back into the atmosphere.
Okay, fair enough. Now, WHY do human beings do this?

Do they 'need' to?
Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 am This traps more energy in the atmosphere, leading to rising global temperatures and more volatile weather - which in turn threatens civilisation in numerous ways: hurricanes, floods, forest fires, crop failures, droughts, famines, sea level rise etc.
So what?

Human beings have lived with these occurrences for millions of years. In fact, if it was not for the first three and the last one, then human beings would not even be here in the first place anyway.
Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 am It's very serious - and we need to address it.
'Climate change' is very serious to who, and WHY do we 'need' to address it?

Also, more or less fire and rain is NOT of great concern in comparison to the POLLUTION human beings create. See, human beings, collectively, can adapt to and live with 'climate change', as they have been for millions of years. However, human beings can NOT adapt to and live with what, literally, kills them, that is, POLLUTANTS. Human beings, collectively, will NOT survive POLLUTANTS, but collectively they can EASILY survive 'climate change'.

This is OBVIOUSLY and CERTAINLY NO reason to keep doing those behaviors that cause and create 'climate change', but this is just putting things into perspective.
Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 am The question is how?
Just CHANGE your behaviors. OBVIOUSLY, if 'climate change' is caused by some of your behaviors, then just CHANGE those behaviors.

How much SIMPLER and EASIER could this be?

Just FIND OUT WHY you are doing the behaviors that CAUSE 'climate change', then you will KNOW what you NEED TO DO to STOP doing those behaviors, in order to CHANGE for the better, for EVERY one. Very SIMPLE, REALLY.
Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 am The kneejerk left wing dominated narrative makes moralistic arguments like greed, but that's just sustainability used as an anti-capitalist battering ram, and my post proves that - because technologically, it's not necessary to undermine capitalism to solve climate change. If the left were actually concerned about climate change, they'd be promoting the same carbon free alternate energy source I am - not dictatorial government imposing poverty on people - while still pumping oil.
BUT, your, so called, "carbon free alternate energy source", is NOT necessarily 'carbon free' AT ALL. One mistake with "your alternative" could release MORE CARBON into the atmosphere than using fossil fuels do, in the days when this is being written.
Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 am Assuming we can drill for magma energy - and I think it's entirely feasible, we would not need to pay more and have less, beneath the jack boot of an increasingly authoritarian government to solve climate change.
Magma has 'sequestrated' carbon dioxide. So, what is the difference between using 'magma energy' from using 'coal, oil, and gas energy'? Carbon dioxide will be released either way, correct?

Also, and to further note, there are other forms of far more sufficient forms of energy, which are completely free of carbon dioxide.

But first things first, let us rid "ourselves" of our greedy behaviors FIRST, and then START LOOKING INTO what is Truly beneficial for EVERY one, and NOT just SOME.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:14 amWe're not friends. This was the only meaningful thing in your post worth responding to - which is why we are not friends. I cannot begin to comprehend the attitude I've met with on this forum. Did you know that philosophy translates as 'love of wisdom.' I have found no wisdom here - nor even basic courtesy. Could you please take your adolescent assholery elsewhere? Thanks!
You might wish to seek some help for your anger issues.

Good luck!
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Age wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:01 am So, very basically and essentially, to you, 'climate change' is caused by human behaviors.
No. Climate change is caused by fossil fuel use. Using clean energy, the same behaviour would not cause climate change.
Age wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:01 am Okay, fair enough. Now, WHY do human beings do this? Do they 'need' to?
What do you mean by "need"? Perhaps you are referring to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, but I doubt it!
Age wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:01 amMagma has 'sequestrated' carbon dioxide. So, what is the difference between using 'magma energy' from using 'coal, oil, and gas energy'? Carbon dioxide will be released either way, correct?
No, because I do not suggest drilling into magma, but rather through hot rock close to magma chambers and subduction zones. As I said earlier:

"Most 'geothermal' is in fact hydrothermal - which is to say, tapping into underground hot water - that under pressure can reach 2-300'C. I'm talking about temperatures in excess of 700'C - the temperature necessary to produce dry superheated steam. The thermal expansion of super heated steam is tremendously powerful. Uncontained, it causes earthquakes. My plan is to contain the liquid in pipes running through very hot rock, and harness all the energy of that thermal expansion."
Age wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:01 am So what? Human beings have lived with these occurrences for millions of years. In fact, if it was not for the first three and the last one, then human beings would not even be here in the first place anyway.
If your response to hurricanes, drought and famine is 'so what' - you clearly don't care about human beings. That so, a) you're clearly not referring to Maslow, and b) why should I care about anything you say? Take this for example:
Age wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:01 am Also, and to further note, there are other forms of far more sufficient forms of energy, which are completely free of carbon dioxide.
It's not just that you make such a statement, and don't say what those energy sources are - but that you think there are "far more sufficient forms energy" than the molten interior of the earth; a ball of molten rock - 4000 miles deep and 26,000 miles around, with an average temperature of around 5,000 degrees centigrade. Are you mentally ill? Because I would hate to call you a moron if you are actually a moron!
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

simplicity wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:24 am
You might wish to seek some help for your anger issues.

Good luck!
I'm not angry - I'm just disappointed.

Post by Age »

Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:56 am
Age wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:01 am So, very basically and essentially, to you, 'climate change' is caused by human behaviors.
No. Climate change is caused by fossil fuel use. Using clean energy, the same behaviour would not cause climate change.
Okay. So, to you, human behavior does NOT cause 'climate change', and ONLY 'fossil fuel use' causes 'climate change'.

To you, will 'magma fuel use' cause 'climate change', or is 'magma fuel use' a 'clean energy'?
Age wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:01 am Okay, fair enough. Now, WHY do human beings do this? Do they 'need' to?
What do you mean by "need"? Perhaps you are referring to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, but I doubt it!
WHY would you "doubt it"?

'need', can NOT live without.
Age wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:01 amMagma has 'sequestrated' carbon dioxide. So, what is the difference between using 'magma energy' from using 'coal, oil, and gas energy'? Carbon dioxide will be released either way, correct?
No, because I do not suggest drilling into magma, but rather through hot rock close to magma chambers and subduction zones. As I said earlier:
AND, as I said earlier:

'One mistake with "your alternative" could release MORE CARBON into the atmosphere than using fossil fuels do, in the days when this is being written.'
Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:56 am "Most 'geothermal' is in fact hydrothermal - which is to say, tapping into underground hot water - that under pressure can reach 2-300'C. I'm talking about temperatures in excess of 700'C - the temperature necessary to produce dry superheated steam. The thermal expansion of super heated steam is tremendously powerful. Uncontained, it causes earthquakes. My plan is to contain the liquid in pipes running through very hot rock, and harness all the energy of that thermal expansion."
Would the term "magma energy" then be somewhat misleading?

Also, is carbon dioxide from magma released through water or not?

And, when does one KNOW EXACTLY where to stop drilling?
Age wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:01 am So what? Human beings have lived with these occurrences for millions of years. In fact, if it was not for the first three and the last one, then human beings would not even be here in the first place anyway.
If your response to hurricanes, drought and famine is 'so what' - you clearly don't care about human beings.
LOL You completely and utterly MISSED the POINT.
Vitruvius wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:56 am That so, a) you're clearly not referring to Maslow, and b) why should I care about anything you say? Take this for example:
Age wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:01 am Also, and to further note, there are other forms of far more sufficient forms of energy, which are completely free of carbon dioxide.
It's not just that you make such a statement, and don't say what those energy sources are - but that you think there are "far more sufficient forms energy" than the molten interior of the earth; a ball of molten rock - 4000 miles deep and 26,000 miles around, with an average temperature of around 5,000 degrees centigrade. Are you mentally ill? Because I would hate to call you a moron if you are actually a moron!
Call 'me' whatever you like. You are STUCK on and CLOSED TO one thing ONLY here.

As someone suggested earlier why not just go and do what you BELIEVE WHOLEHEARTEDLY will work, instead of just talking about it?

Will YOUR WAY work for EVERY one, EQUALLY?
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Vitruvius wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:38 pm
Vitruvius wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:53 pmSo, what are you saying then?
FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:19 pmA word of advice - if you want your thread to be about climate change and your preferred sci-fi fix for it, you need to not engage with Age.
What do you mean "sci fi fix"?
Is the earth not a big ball of molten rock containing a virtually limitless amount of heat energy?
What's sci fi about that?
Is it not possible to extract carbon from the atmosphere - if you have such energy to spend?
Is it not possible to produce hydrogen from sea water, desalinate and irrigate, recycle - if you have the energy to spend?
You can't use a drill to make the holes in the ground to those depths, the combined heat of the rocks and the friction would break the drill bit unless you deliver significant quantitites of coldness to a location that doesn't really allow for that. Also the extreme length and heat of the shaft would buckle the thing that is supposed to deliver torque to it.

So your magma mining plan requires an sci-fi tunnel boring machine that can operate in heat equivalent to a sustained orbital re-entry, piping in tremendous quantitities of coolant, somehow maintaining cutting blades that neither gum up nor break when eating through super-hot rock. Or else you need a mechanism to maintain your boring machine when it is two miles below ground and in need of new cutting gear.

If a workable device could even be designed using the ceramics and metallurgy of the early 21st C it would take more than just money to do what you describe. You need probably about 20 years of R&D, which is something the solar and wind industries already had.