For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Vitruvius

Re: Solving Climate Change.

Post by Vitruvius »

Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

A quad is a unit of energy equal to a quadrillion BTU. The unit is used by the U.S. Department of Energy in discussing world and national energy budgets. The global primary energy production in 2004 was 446 quad.

Status of the Magma Energy Project
Dunn, J. C.
Abstract
The current magma energy project is assessing the engineering feasibility of extracting thermal energy directly from crustal magma bodies. The estimated size of the U.S. resource (50,000 to 500,000 quads) suggests a considerable potential impact on future power generation. In a previous seven-year study, we concluded that there are no insurmountable barriers that would invalidate the magma energy concept. Several concepts for drilling, energy extraction, and materials survivability were successfully demonstrated in Kilauea Iki lava lake, Hawaii. The present program is addressing the engineering design problems associated with accessing magma bodies and extracting thermal energy for power generation. The normal stages for development of a geothermal resource are being investigated: exploration, drilling and completions, production, and surface power plant design. Current status of the engineering program and future plans are described.

Publication:
Presented at the Symposium on Geothermal Energy, New Orleans, La., 10 Jan. 1988
Pub Date: 1987
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Climate change food calculator: What's your diet's carbon footprint?
By Nassos Stylianou, Clara Guibourg and Helen Briggs
BBC News

Published 9 August 2019.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46459714
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Vitruvius wrote:
It's a long list. Let's start with slavery. If it weren't for capitalism providing for personal economic and political freedom, we'd still have slavery. It was the way of the world since the dawn of time. Under communism you are not an individual. You are a factor of planned production. So it cannot be argued that communism overcomes slavery when people are owned and disposed of by the state; often in numbers that make Hitler look like an amateur genocidal maniac.
The political right wing promotes itself to the have-nots (like the guys not driving beautifully engineered sports cars)by claims of trickle-down benefits such as abolition of the slave trade. Lancashire cotton, and Scottish sugar refineries, prospered with the same labour force and the same machinery after the slave trade was abolished. Profiteers from the slave trade were investors large and small.

Extremes of communism are not the only alternative to extremes of capitalism.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Belinda

Post by Belinda »

I love heroes as much as anyone.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

A quad is a unit of energy equal to a quadrillion BTU. The unit is used by the U.S. Department of Energy in discussing world and national energy budgets. The global primary energy production in 2004 was 446 quad.

Status of the Magma Energy Project
Dunn, J. C.
Abstract
The current magma energy project is assessing the engineering feasibility of extracting thermal energy directly from crustal magma bodies. The estimated size of the U.S. resource (50,000 to 500,000 quads) suggests a considerable potential impact on future power generation.

In a previous seven-year study, we concluded that there are no insurmountable barriers that would invalidate the magma energy concept. Several concepts for drilling, energy extraction, and materials survivability were successfully demonstrated in Kilauea Iki lava lake, Hawaii. The present program is addressing the engineering design problems associated with accessing magma bodies and extracting thermal energy for power generation. The normal stages for development of a geothermal resource are being investigated: exploration, drilling and completions, production, and surface power plant design. Current status of the engineering program and future plans are described.

Publication:
Presented at the Symposium on Geothermal Energy, New Orleans, La., 10 Jan. 1988
Pub Date: 1987
Last edited by Vitruvius on Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Climate change food calculator: What's your diet's carbon footprint?
By Nassos Stylianou, Clara Guibourg and Helen Briggs
BBC News

Published 9 August 2019.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46459714
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Belinda

Post by Belinda »

A young girl who had the courage and tenacity to bring the crisis to the attention of the world.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:47 pm A young girl who had the courage and tenacity to bring the crisis to the attention of the world.
You don't seem to be picking up what I'm laying down here. In the US alone there's 50,000-500,000 quads of magma energy available - when global energy demand was 446 quads. That's about as close to limitless clean energy as it gets.

Meanwhile the earth is burning and melting in all the wrong places, and yet, to tackle climate change, they're asking:

"What's your diets carbon footprint?"

That's what I mean by How Dare You?
How dare you put this on us?
How dare you risk environmental catastrophe?
How dare you....sail across the ocean rather than fly?
She's part of the problem, and you call her a hero?
She's peddling lies or ignorance - guilt tripping people into a 'have less, pay more, tax this and stop that' policy approach - rather than demanding that the technology is applied to produce the limitless amounts of clean energy available.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Vitruvius wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:02 pm
Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:47 pm A young girl who had the courage and tenacity to bring the crisis to the attention of the world.
You don't seem to be picking up what I'm laying down here. In the US alone there's 50,000-500,000 quads of magma energy available - when global energy demand was 446 quads. That's about as close to limitless clean energy as it gets.

Meanwhile the earth is burning and melting in all the wrong places, and yet, to tackle climate change, they're asking:

She's peddling lies or ignorance - guilt tripping people into a 'have less, pay more, tax this and stop that' policy approach - rather than demanding that the technology is applied to produce the limitless amounts of clean energy available.
I know that is what you mean. I understand and I understand your frustration.I have told you I don't understand the science and technology and my ignorance is typical of most people. I also know that it may be too much to hope that conservative efforts will stop the crisis. Conservative efforts if these can be sufficiently popularised are better than no effort at all.

I do wish magma energy to be used to save our children and grandchildren and the rest of the biosphere from disaster. Why is it not happening? It is not vegetarians and other frugal people who are stopping it.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Vitruvius wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:02 pm

Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:25 pmI know that is what you mean. I understand and I understand your frustration. I have told you I don't understand the science and technology and my ignorance is typical of most people. I also know that it may be too much to hope that conservative efforts will stop the crisis. Conservative efforts if these can be sufficiently popularised are better than no effort at all. I do wish magma energy to be used to save our children and grandchildren and the rest of the biosphere from disaster. Why is it not happening? It is not vegetarians and other frugal people who are stopping it.
My frustration is not with you. You're aces. Pulling that NASA magma project data off the internet was a game changer. I thought it was just me - who'd come up with a bright idea that existed in a blind-spot - due to a left wing anti capitalist environmentalist narrative - in combination with climate denial on the right; but it's so much worse than that. They knew all along that there's limitless clean energy available from magma - or at least, have known for the past 40 years. It just became a very different fight, and I'm unsure how to proceed. I've often times entertained myself with the idea of a different political spectrum - one that ranges - not from left to right, but from ideological traditionalist to scientific rationalist. I never imagined it might become a reality; it's just placing issues on that spectrum helps to understand them. Now I'm thinking that's the real scale of this challenge.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Since 2005, I've been fighting against the likely prospect of human extinction. I'm done. No act, nor lack of act on my part will cause or prevent your certain doom! If they knew all along there was limitless clean energy, and are doing this anyway, y'all got problems I can't help you with. It's above my paygrade - it's not my responsibility, I'm done. Thanks to everyone here, and all the other forums I've frequented. I'm not a philosopher anymore. I'm free.