Something For Nothing

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: Something For Nothing

Post by Skepdick »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:35 pm Hey, you cited it. You made it the basis of your claim. You just "owned" yourself.
I did cite it. The views (expressing the views of all the contributors to that page) support of my claim.

Does that make the wiki mine?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:41 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:35 pm Hey, you cited it. You made it the basis of your claim. You just "owned" yourself.
I did cite it. The views (expressing the views of all the contributors to that page) support of my claim.
Oh. So you just followed the herd, and they told you they were right, so you believed them. Yep.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

simplicity wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:36 pm
henry quirk wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:16 pm This fact, combined with the fatal tendency that exists in the heart of man to satisfy his wants with the least possible effort, ...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=32456
There are certainly many folks out there who would fit nicely into the above category, but there are also many others who seem to understand that you get out of life EXACTLY what you put into it.
Oh, I think every man, and I mean every man, can be tempted by the easy road.

That doesn't mean every man succumbs.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:04 pm Unless you have a very hard head, you'll probably die. Most deadly, "accidents," are the result of people being where they shouldn't be and not paying attention. There are no guarantees, except if you do not do your best you will fail.
I am not sure about that but it would be nice if it were true. Again, thinking that you have control over things in general is a pretty optimistic view. OTOH, being highly productive and doing good things certainly doesn't hurt one's chances for a positive outcome.
simplicity wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:49 pm There are many things that occur that are out of our control [pretty much everything]. The only thing we can do is react [or be proactive] with the greatest skill possible.
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:04 pmIt's actually not a, "we," thing. Though I'm not sure exactly what you mean by things out of our control, unless you mean things like weather, climate, other natural events, or the behavior of governments (like wars or printing money and causing inflation). Most things do not happen in a instant and preparation can be made for them, as you suggest.
You've probably heard this one, "You want to make God laugh, make a plan!"
Last edited by simplicity on Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Age »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:44 pm
simplicity wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:15 pm I am certain that few would argue against the notion that our kind has a ways to go. Until we can get beyond this deranged desire to covet what is not ours, over-all human progress will be severely retarded.
Sounds like you're making a case for the rightness of the tenth commandment.
LOL This is a typical response from a VERY self-centered human being by relating 'commandments' to 'them'.

Post by Age »

mickthinks wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:33 pm all human progress will be severely retarded

Retarded in comparison to what? Other mammals? The insects? The dinosaurs?
Great clarifying questions.

Also, saying, " 'human progress' will be 'severely retarded' ", is an oxy-moron anyway, correct?

If no, then why not?

Post by Age »

simplicity wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:31 pm
mickthinks wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:33 pm all human progress will be severely retarded

Retarded in comparison to what? Other mammals? The insects? The dinosaurs?
In comparison to human potential.
Good, I was hoping you were referring to this. So, what is 'human potential', exactly?

And, when human beings STOP being human beings and evolution, itself, evolves out of and past the human being stage and part of evolution, then could the actual 'potential', which you are thinking about and referring to, exactly, then START existing?

See, 'you', human beings, can only do what 'you', human beings, can do, so if 'you' are retarding 'potential' or 'progress', then this may be only what 'you' can do.

And so the actual 'potential', which exists within 'you', human beings', may only actually being 'retarded' by 'you', human beings, and by what 'you' think and/or do. The REAL 'potential' may not actuate until after evolution progresses past the human being stage.

Post by Age »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:58 pm
simplicity wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:15 pm I believe the goal of obtaining, "something for nothing," is the greatest driver of human socio-pathological behavior.
Every social/political system (government) exists to fulfill the desires of those who seek to have more than they can produce or achieve by their own effort. One of the chief lies is the notion of, "rights," to what they have not produced themselves. Every government is a defiance of the true nature of justice and all life:

Produce or die!
What do you mean by 'produce' here?

Post by Age »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:42 pm
simplicity wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:29 pm I am not anti-capitalist, only anti-corporate and anti-government [except for very the very basics, e.g., protection of life and property].
It's the wanting to take what others have that's the problem.
What could "others" even possibly "have"?

And how?

But considering the FACT that you are absolutely incapable of backing up and supporting your BELIEFS here, we will NOT hear from you.
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:42 pm There's something truly horrible and unspeakably spiteful about a person who has food, clothing and shelter, as much as she needs, but cannot stand that thought that her neighbour might have a little bit more of something than she herself has.
Some might also think and say that there is something truly horrible and unspeakably spiteful about a person just like 'you', "immanuel can" who is Truly so 'judgmental' of and about "others", especially considering the FACT about all of the Wrong, which you continually perpetrate on "others". But, if they did, then they would be NO better than 'you', "immanuel can", and thus "they" would be identical to ALL of 'you', adult human beings.
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:42 pm Such people will never be happy, because they don't know how to be: to be satified with what you have, so long as you have what you need, is one of the great secrets to life.
LOL

And this coming from one of the GREEDIEST human beings.
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:42 pm Envy is a nasty, nasty thing.
And yet "immanuel can" is envious, and even ALLOWS "others" to die because 'it' is SO GREEDY and takes from "them".
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:42 pm And unfortunately, most of today's so-called calls for "justice" or "equity" do not come from the lips of people who do not have enough, but from those who simply always want more.
And, you ACTUALLY BELIEVE people do NOT have 'equality', nor that there should be 'justice' for ALL, as 'you', ACTUALLY BELIEVE that people like "yourself" are ACTUALLY BETTER than "others" are. Even though the ABSURDITY and RIDICULOUSNESS of this speaks for itself, you STILL are under the DELUSION that this is ACTUALLY TRUE.

Post by Age »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:51 pm
Belinda wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:20 pm
simplicity wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:15 pm I believe the goal of obtaining, "something for nothing," is the greatest driver of human socio-pathological behavior. People will literally do EVERYTHING...lie, cheat, steal, de-fraud, frame, extort, injury, murder, and even slaughter on a mass scale to these ends. And the kicker is that most folks seem to accept this as the simply the price of admission.

I am certain that few would argue against the notion that our kind has a ways to go. Until we can get beyond this deranged desire to covet what is not ours, over-all human progress will be severely retarded.
True, that is the case of people for whom washing machines and the like are the only something worth coveting. However there are many people for whom finding a meaning for their existence is more important than washing machines.
You won't have much time to spend, "finding a meaning for your existence," when your existence is spending all your time washing your clothes in the river by pounding them with stones. If you haven't figured out the meaning of your existence by the time you are fourteen, you never will.
What is the meaning of your existence "rcsaunders", and when did you figure this out?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:56 pm Oh. So you just followed the herd, and they told you they were right, so you believed them. Yep.
Can you paraphrase the above expression in your own language, perhaps?

You are just following the herd's use of words.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Age wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:30 am
Belinda wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:20 pm
True, that is the case of people for whom washing machines and the like are the only something worth coveting. However there are many people for whom finding a meaning for their existence is more important than washing machines.
You won't have much time to spend, "finding a meaning for your existence," when your existence is spending all your time washing your clothes in the river by pounding them with stones. If you haven't figured out the meaning of your existence by the time you are fourteen, you never will.
What is the meaning of your existence "rcsaunders", and when did you figure this out?
You have no reason to even want to know the answer to either of those questions. Answering them can serve no purpose whatsoever. The only thing you need to know is what the meaning of your life is, which you do not need to explain to me, because I have no interest in it.

Post by Age »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:41 am
Age wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:30 am
You have no reason to even want to know the answer to either of those questions. Answering them can serve no purpose whatsoever. The only thing you need to know is what the meaning of your life is, which you do not need to explain to me, because I have no interest in it.
Sounds like you have NOT YET figured out the meaning of your existence, so my second question posed to you is moot, which is fair enough. Especially considering your upbringing.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Age wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:58 am Especially considering your upbringing.
And what would you know about that? I'm sure I was bringing up my own children before you were even born.

Post by Age »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:44 pm
Age wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:58 am Especially considering your upbringing.
And what would you know about that?
What you are telling us.
RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:44 pm I'm sure I was bringing up my own children before you were even born.
LOL Okay.

And what is MORE OBVIOUS now is that you NEVER figured out the meaning for your own existence before you were 15 years of age.