Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dubious

Re: Christianity

Post by Dubious »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:05 am If you want that badly to be in a war, then knock yourself out. Just be aware that all of it is in your head. Or don't be. I won't be joining your folly. You'll have to wing it yourself. Just don't fuck up the world any worse than it already is.
The world is fucked up and continues to be ever more fucked up because of the kind of wars we're already in and continue to be. Wars strategically are becoming evermore personal having long ceased to be in its state-driven "conventional format."

Wars advance consistently, clandestinely into areas they've never been before due to all the invasive technologies causing armies of opinion among the citizenry with major consequent disruptions; and that's just part of it, it's effects being both internal and external to a society. We're all in that war, the media itself proves it in all its miscellaneous, often agenda based manifestations creating in its wake a war of perception in how to sift the veritable from the purposely false.

War and peace perceptions within the so-called Fourth and Fifth-Generation Warfare scenarios are now not nearly as dichotomized as they historically used to be when the state itself subsumed all power. Though non-combatant, the citizen has become a member of an army conjoining to one or another kind of perspective as programmed or preferred causing the latest generation of warfare to be the most insidious of all...a battle of mental memes.

In short, it's knocking all of us for a loop even if you can't feel or fail to acknowledge it.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:07 amYou don't need to say anything. Those are my words you are talking about.
Then why presume to say anything about my words?
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:07 amYou are supposed to shut the fuck up and listen so you can grok your misunderstanding of what I said.
Then let's have another look.
Not for the first time, I said to Immanuel Can:
tillingborn wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:30 am 1. If it is only your fear of God that prevents you from doing terrible things, you confess to being a dangerous lunatic that needs to be controlled.
2. If you are not a dangerous lunatic, you admit that your sense of morality is independent of God.
To which you responded:
Skepdick wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:28 amIt's 2023 dude. This dichotomous thinking is so lame.

ALL moral arguments are appeals to authority or revelation.
When I answered with your own words:
tillingborn wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:34 pmIt's 2023 dude. This dichotomous thinking is so lame.
suddenly they become insulting:
Skepdick wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:16 amYou dumb, dismissive, uncharitable sophist!
You continued with a howl of anguish:
Skepdick wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:16 amWhy are you misinterpreting the meaning of my "OR? It's parametric function, not a dichotomous logical connective!
"Dichotomous logical connective" are very much your words; a google search found no one else using them in that sequence. If you are tossing a word salad, you might at least try to explain the result in terms people other than yourself are familiar with. Call it a parametric function if you will, it's still a dichotomy as generally understood, which you proceeded to demonstrate:
Skepdick wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:16 amSo whether you appeal to a Moral authority; OR you appeal to Moral revelation; OR you appeal to God; OR you appeal to your Moral intuition; OR you appeal to the moral virtues of your pet doplhin; OR you appeal to <whatever> (ad infinitum).
Every one of which is an appeal either to "authority or revelation". Only two options: it's a dichotomy.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:11 am
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:07 amYou don't need to say anything. Those are my words you are talking about.
Then why presume to say anything about my words?
Because you misunderstood and misrepresented my words.
tillingborn wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:11 am When I answered with your own words suddenly they become insulting
When you answered with my own words you assumed my own words applied to what I am saying.

In attempting to accuse me of hypocrisy; In addition to committing the Tu quoque fallacy you also demonstrated that you have misunderstood my words as a dichotomy.

Hence me correcting your misunderstanding. Because "authority or revelation" is not a dichotomy. I am using two different connotations for one and the same denotation. I am using the words synonymously.
tillingborn wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:11 am Every one of which is an appeal either to "authority or revelation". Only two options: it's a dichotomy.
Q.E.D Despite your "second look", despite your attempt to review the situation you continue to interpret the non-dichotomy as a dichotomy.

You continue to misunderstand the meaning of "or" in "authority or revelation".
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:37 am
We are in a war. Wars are going on around us daily. And these are wars-of-consequence.

But I am very convinced that wars are being conducted around us.

When I refer to being at war I mean to be acutely aware of what is at stake.

How do you form your ideas of this world and what is going on, now, today, in it?
What if we are actually dreaming everything and people who go insane are those who wake up?

What if there is an illusory war on for your mind. How do you know something exists [aka] your(mind/consciousness) if it's not measurable?

What if human reality is just completely insane and irrational and absurd. What if the human reality is not the perfect fantasy we've made everyone believed it to be?

An ancient Chinese text written by Daoist philosopher Zhuangzi during the late Warring States period (476–221 BCE), a story tells that Zhuang Zi once dreamed he was a butterfly, flitting and fluttering around, happy, and doing as he pleased. As a butterfly, he did not know he was Zhuang Zi. All of a sudden, he awoke and found he was Zhuang Zi, solid and unmistakably human.
But then he did not know whether he was Zhuang Zi dreaming he was a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming he was Zhuang Zi.

Is it really known by the butterfly itself, that butterflies do not know they are a butterfly?

Exactly WHO is driving the dream bus?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:56 pm What if we are actually dreaming everything and people who go insane are those who wake up?
Butterfly or no butterfly what did that PERV do with that pizza?!?
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:51 pm..."authority or revelation" is not a dichotomy. I am using two different connotations for one and the same denotation. I am using the words synonymously.
Despite their being functionally equivalent, they are quite clearly two different things. That you only see one is literally half witted.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:55 pm Despite their being functionally equivalent, they are quite clearly two different things. That you only see one is literally half witted.
You want to suck the cock while getting fucked by it too, eh? OK.. spread them cheeks at both ends.

Why is it that a list of two functionally identical things is "quite clearly two different things". Why am I halfwitted when I see 1 instead of 2?
But then a list of five functionally identical things is also "quite clearly two different things". Why aren't you halfwitted when you see 2 instead of 5?

Why does a lsit of 5 aggregate down to 2; but a list of 2 doesn't aggregate down to 1?

You are misinterpreting and misrepresenting the number of categories my ontology aggregates into you fucking socksucking twat!
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:45 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:56 pm What if we are actually dreaming everything and people who go insane are those who wake up?
Butterfly or no butterfly what did that PERV do with that pizza?!?
As for the unnecessary PERV interjection, which ought really to be defined, so as to have some sort of appropriate relevance here.
The pizza would no doubtedly have been eaten. Anything other than being eaten would have been a complete waste of a pleasurable oral experience, much like resisting the oral experience of kissing the lips of a beautiful woman via the civil act of mutual consent.
So yes, sadly, a missed opportunity to not have eaten the pizza, which I think would have been a pretty obvious thing to do with it.

tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:11 pmWhy am I halfwitted when I see 1 instead of 2?
What is 1/2?
Skepdick wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:11 pmWhy does a lsit of 5 aggregate down to 2; but a list of 2 doesn't aggregate down to 1?
For the reason I have already given you:
tillingborn wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:11 amEvery one of which is an appeal either to "authority or revelation". Only two options: it's a dichotomy.
Skepdick wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:11 pmYou are misinterpreting and misrepresenting the number of categories my ontology aggregates into you fucking socksucking twat!
And you can't tell the difference between authority and revelation.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:37 pm Every one of which is an appeal either to "authority or revelation". Only two options: it's a dichotomy.
But they are functionally equivalent and therefore synonymous. So only one option; ergo - not a dichotomy.
tillingborn wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:37 pm And you can't tell the difference between authority and revelation.
And you can't tell the difference between authority, revelation, guessing, making things up and randomly choosing from the available options.

So you don't like functional equivalence.
You don't like qualitative difference.

You just like dichotomies.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:46 pm
tillingborn wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:37 pmEvery one of which is an appeal either to "authority or revelation". Only two options: it's a dichotomy.
But they are functionally equivalent and therefore synonymous.
Bollocks.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:52 pm
Skepdick wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:46 pm
tillingborn wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:37 pmEvery one of which is an appeal either to "authority or revelation". Only two options: it's a dichotomy.
But they are functionally equivalent and therefore synonymous.
Bollocks.
OK fine! They are all different!

Which means I gave you at least 5 different things. So still not a dichotomy; and you are still wrong.

That's why you are a time-wasting, intentionally misunderstanding halfwit - I told you there's no dichotomy in my words, yet you are desperately trying to invent it.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

We’ve got off to a questionable start today …

Though Brother Dubious laid down some of the Lord’s truth. (Technically yesterday…)

Gary? When will you grovel to admit your errors?

“That’s PRIDE fuckin’ witchu . . .”
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:25 pm Gary? When will you grovel to admit your errors?
I thought Gary handled you very well.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"Exactly WHO is driving the dream bus?"

If I may, the WHO drives a magic bus, not a dream bus.