Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

seeds

Re: Christianity

Post by seeds »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:15 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:41 pm
promethean75 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:42 pm "the ‘original mating pair’ argument to clarify the A&E fable. It would be laughed out of any room."
Educate me, Prom.

What's the alternative? Describe human history without making it pass through an original mating pair. How did it happen?

I eagerly await.
It is not that a mating pair is not considerable zoologically or anthropologically, it is that the Adam&Eve story was not intended to be a zoological treatise! You blend epistemological categories that cannot be blended.

There is no ‘human history’ contained in the A&E story! There was nothing before them.

You honestly cannot reason. Your reasoning capability is wondrously afflicted.

My mouth hangs open in aMaZeMeNT.
Right!

None of this should be a question of whether or not there was an "original mating pair."

No, the question...

(at least in terms of how this all fits in with the Christian narrative)

...is when did this original mating pair encounter the phantasmagorical situation of being misled by the ultimate demon (Satan) who appeared to them in the guise of a "talking snake"? Who then cleverly convinced the female half of the pair to eat a "forbidden fruit" that should never have been planted in the garden in the first place.

And, of course, Satan, being super-intelligent (not to mention, a dude), knew that the male half of this knuckleheaded duo was obviously prone to doing anything a pretty girl asked him to do...

...("...take a bite of this apple?...sure baby, anything for you...").

I mean, is Mr. Con seriously trying to blend non-fiction (science/evolution) with fantasy (religious mythology)?

Does someone need to re-read my...

...post - viewtopic.php?p=597494#p597494 - where I suggest that if the ultimate horticulturist (God) would have simply employed some routine garden pest control measures, then this whole "original sin" mess could have been avoided.
_______
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

IC what the hell is an 'original mating pair' anyway? if you're aksing for a set of first male and female individuals of every living and extinct species, u ain't gonna get it. you're thinking about this all wrong. the observable variety of organisms on this planet is just a collection of genetic morphologies over an immense period of geological time. if you want the first definitive life form it's prolly gonna be one of those freak polymeric molecules that formed around those vents on the ocean floor.

everything started from those thingies, and each one experienced its own unique genetic modification as it evolved and became more and more complex in the changing environments... branching into lines called species and so forth.

there's no original mating pair man. plus organisms were asexual for the longest fuckin time anyway. 
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

promethean75 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:21 am IC what the hell is an 'original mating pair' anyway?
So you didn't know...but you were going to criticize anyway? :lol:

It's a very simple idea. Either all the creatures in a particular stage of evolution got to that stage when a particular mating pair coupled...or you're going to need some other explanation. And I'm just waiting to see what that alternate "explanation" might be.
...an immense period of geological time...
"Time" won't answer the question. How could it happen? Regardless of the time span you posit, you need a narrative, a story about how the mechanics of the thing would work: how would you get from, say, Neanderthal to modern man, without some sexual act, i.e. some original mating pair being involved in that particular transition?
if you want the first definitive life form

I don't. I want to know how one animal progresses from any stage to the next, absent any sexual reproduction. Because that's exactly what you're going to need to explain, if you want to say there need be no original mating pair for any such stage.

And I've given you an example. What's your story of how Neanderthal man became modern humans, without involving any explanation requiring an original mating pair of Neanderthals?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

I'm saying that i can safely infer that biochemical interspecies reproductive compatibility had to be possible over hundreds of millions of years becuz the only alternative theory is infinitely more ridiculous; that every individual species alive right now wuz instantly created, fully formed and complete just like it is presently, at some moment in the past.

i mean siriusly man. like abracadabra all of a sudden a giraffe materializes outta thin air. get a'hold of yourself for god sakes IC!
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

correction. a third alternative would be alien designers who made all the aminals... but then you gotta aks where'd they come from and how... and you're back to square one.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:41 pmreligions which can attract enough people to form shared values which are impersonal
Institutionalized, yes.

As I say: European Christians who indulged in such acts (murder, rape, mutilation, and sodomy [of children & adults] were, every last one of 'em, institutional christians, congregants in, servants of The Church. The Church, the Institution, is not the source of Christianity, but only the corrupter of Christianity. There's nuthin' at all in the thinking/words/living attributed to Jesus that can lead a man to commit, or that can justify a man committing, murder, rape, mutilation, sodomy or any other physical and moral atrocity.
I doubt you are interested in the details
Oh, it's interestin', yes, but off-point.

You assert...
Sculptor wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:30 pmChristianity is a series of Institutions. Just a matter of scale and success.
...and nuthin' more.

I say there is Christianity, a moral code derived from Jesus's thinkin' and life (call it Jesuism), and there is institutional christianity, the machine that takes the man's thinkin' and life and commoditizes them (call it Paulism). Quite apart from the possibility/probability Native Americans committed moral and physical atrocities prior to the arrival of Euro-christians, I say these Paulists, these agents of Crown and Church, who did commit atrocities, were not any kind of Christian at all. They were institutional men, recipients and users of a commodity (and themselves commodities).

Again: there's nuthin' at all in the thinking/words/living attributed to Jesus that can lead a man to commit, or that can justify a man committing, murder, rape, mutilation, sodomy or any other physical and moral atrocity. Moreover: nuthin' the man said or did lends itself to bein' institutionalized, commodified.
ThinkOfOne

Post by ThinkOfOne »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:36 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:15 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:41 pm
Educate me, Prom.

What's the alternative? Describe human history without making it pass through an original mating pair. How did it happen?

I eagerly await.
It is not that a mating pair is not considerable zoologically or anthropologically,
No, indeed. In fact, even given Darwinism, there's no way for reproduction to happen without a mating pair.

But if there was no original mating pair, then they only hypothesis must be something like multiple mating pairs, all evolving simultaneously...that is, assuming you're not trying to say evolution took place without sexual reproduction... :?

The problem for such a theory that would remain is that we know of no material mechanism capable of making multiple mating pairs all evolve simultaneously -- an event which, given Evolutionism, would have to have taken place not once but innumerable times over millions of years...every time a new phase of evolution is posited, in fact.

So there are a ton of logical and scientific holes left unfilled by any such narrative.

But I'm willing to hear it, if you have it.

Go ahead.
Like many Christians you seem to have an extremely simplistic understanding of evolution. There are many sites that explain speciation which can be easily found. Unfortunately with many Christians this seems to be a willful ignorance. With others their simplistic thinking / views seem to render them incapable of understanding anything other than the basics. Read the article at the link provided below from which I've provided the following excerpt.
Speciation is how a new kind of plant or animal species is created. Speciation occurs when a group within a species separates from other members of its species and develops its own unique characteristics. The demands of a different environment or the characteristics of the members of the new group will differentiate the new species from their ancestors.
...There are five types of speciation: allopatric, peripatric, parapatric, and sympatric and artificial.

From <https://education.nationalgeographic.or ... speciation>
ThinkOfOne

Post by ThinkOfOne »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:23 am
Sculptor wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:41 pmreligions which can attract enough people to form shared values which are impersonal
Institutionalized, yes.

As I say: European Christians who indulged in such acts (murder, rape, mutilation, and sodomy [of children & adults] were, every last one of 'em, institutional christians, congregants in, servants of The Church. The Church, the Institution, is not the source of Christianity, but only the corrupter of Christianity. There's nuthin' at all in the thinking/words/living attributed to Jesus that can lead a man to commit, or that can justify a man committing, murder, rape, mutilation, sodomy or any other physical and moral atrocity.
I doubt you are interested in the details
Oh, it's interestin', yes, but off-point.

You assert...
Sculptor wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:30 pmChristianity is a series of Institutions. Just a matter of scale and success.
...and nuthin' more.

I say there is Christianity, a moral code derived from Jesus's thinkin' and life (call it Jesuism), and there is institutional christianity, the machine that takes the man's thinkin' and life and commoditizes them (call it Paulism). Quite apart from the possibility/probability Native Americans committed moral and physical atrocities prior to the arrival of Euro-christians, I say these Paulists, these agents of Crown and Church, who did commit atrocities, were not any kind of Christian at all. They were institutional men, recipients and users of a commodity (and themselves commodities).

Again: there's nuthin' at all in the thinking/words/living attributed to Jesus that can lead a man to commit, or that can justify a man committing, murder, rape, mutilation, sodomy or any other physical and moral atrocity. Moreover: nuthin' the man said or did lends itself to bein' institutionalized, commodified.
Unfortunately "Christianity", as the word is typically understood, does not have the teachings of Jesus as its foundation. Rather its foundation is based upon the teaching of those other than Jesus. There's no reasonably escaping this fact. As such, there have been and are very few of what you call "Christians". To insist on calling them "Christians" seems folly.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

ThinkOfOne wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:13 amUnfortunately "Christianity", as the word is typically understood, does not have the teachings of Jesus as its foundation. Rather its foundation is based upon the teaching of those other than Jesus. There's no reasonably escaping this fact. As such, there have been and are very few of what you call "Christians". To insist on calling them "Christians" seems folly.
👍
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

ThinkOfOne wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:55 am Like many Christians you seem to have an extremely simplistic understanding of evolution.
Good to know. Educate me.

Explain how human beings moved up from one evolutionary stage to the next, but without referring to a mating pair. Give me that story.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

ThinkOfOne wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:13 am Unfortunately "Christianity", as the word is typically understood, does not have the teachings of Jesus as its foundation.
"Christianity" does...it's a belief system that is defined by the teachings of Jesus. One is a better or worse "Christian" depending entirely on how much of Christ's teachings and example one takes to heart and lives by.

"Christendom" doesn't. "Christen-dom" is a combination of "Christian" and "kingdom." It's a human political-institutional-religious program that sometimes mimics and sometimes contradicts what Christ said, but is never the center of what Christ taught. But Christ was definite: He said, "My kingdom is not of this world."

I would suggest the distinction is highly relevant.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

promethean75 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:10 am I'm saying that i can safely infer that biochemical interspecies reproductive compatibility had to be possible over hundreds of millions of years
Explain how it went. Give me the story.

Here. Let me get you started.

"At one time, there were only Neanderthals upon the Earth..." [fill in the plausible story here] "...and after that, human beings were modern humans, and there were no more Neanderthals.

See? I've given you the beginning and the end. All you've got to do is fill in the middle.
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:03 am People will always heckle and ridicule each other for perceived differences or wrong doing or whatnot.
There's a categorical difference between heckling and ridiculing others merely for perceived differences as opposed to calling out others and taking them to task for genuine wrongdoing. It seems to me that you're conflating the two.
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:03 am I am also not saying you or Seeds are "racist"
Atto is though.
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:36 pm In respect to your general position I have made the observation that I see your ethical value-system as a very real *imposition* that chooses to act against the way things are in our world
This use of "imposition" can only be figurative, because ethics and values cannot literally impose upon anything: only living beings (humans included) are capable of imposing upon one another (via their chosen actions). My point is that in this literal rather than figurative sense, choosing to act in accordance with ethical values is least impositional, because ethical behaviour minimises harm inflected upon others - the worst type of imposition.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:36 pm
Harry Baird wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:37 amYou seem to be alluding to a very strange sort of logic here: that other species sometimes behave in nature in certain ways, therefore we as human groups should behave (or at least are justified in behaving) in the same way as those species towards other human groups.
What I am saying is that *we* arise within a naturalistic context and, as it pertains to a specific instance -- in this case the founding and the construction of South Africa, which can become an 'emblem' for a great number of similar situations, from *time immemorial* up to and including our present -- which I personally take as a sort of *model*, that in one way or another these are inevitable processes that pertain to 'the world of becoming'. The world of mutability and mutation. The world of growth and decline. The world of 'planting' and also 'construction'.
That didn't really address my point. It simply more or less restated your own point in different terms. The strange logic is still operative: given our "naturalistic context" (that which I'd referred to as "other species sometimes [behaving] in nature in certain ways") we as human groups should behave in - or at least are justified in behaving in - the same way, such as by stealing the land of others so as to "found and construct" our own (more modern) societies upon that land.

You even take it a little further here, arguing not just that we are justified, and not even just that we should do it, but that it is inevitable that human groups behave in this unethical way.

Reordering from later for better relevance and flow:
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:36 pm
Harry Baird wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:37 amI don't otherwise follow your logic.
Well, of course you don't! How could you?
Right. I can't, because it seems to be incomplete.

Here's how I see the situation in our exchange as it stands:

(A) I've affirmed that choices are unavoidable, and that when we inevitably make our choices, we should make ethically principled ones. I also affirm that one of the most generic ethical principles is to avoid (minimise) harm to others where it is avoidable, and that, in the context of our discussion, two more specific (derivative) applicable ethical principles are (1) that we should not steal from others (whether a pencil or land), and (2) that stolen property should be returned to its owner.

(B) You've fairly explicitly endorsed these principles, although with something of a seeming qualifier: that your endorsement applies to these principles "on the mental and abstract plane".

(C) You've gone on, though, to point out (according to my paraphrasing and framing) that the natural world to a large extent does not seem to operate according to these principles: that there seems to be a whole lot of harm (including theft without return) going on out there, with living beings and species acting out of self-interested power rather than ethical principles. I'd say it's arguable given the design of the world (obligate carnivore species, etc) the extent to which that harm really could be avoided, but that simply shifts that which is in this context ethically unprincipled from the behaviour of the living beings in the natural world to its designer (or to whatever its origin otherwise is), so it doesn't get around your point.

Finally, you've claimed (according to my paraphrasing and framing), apparently based on (C) that:

(D) Therefore, human groups are justified in rejecting the principles in (A) even though you (with a qualifier) endorsed them in (B), and, instead, in acting out of self-interested power, such as by stealing the land of other peoples to build more modern societies upon it.

Here's where I don't follow your logic: I don't see how (D) follows from (C). There seem to be some missing connecting premises/inferences.

I also think it's worth noting with respect to (C) that there are also aspects of the natural world that operate with little or minimal harm. Consider the fact that plants survive harmlessly by photosynthesis, and that flowering plants and bees have a mutually beneficial and harmless symbiosis. Similarly, trees have a mutually beneficial and harmless symbiosis with fungi in the form of mycorrhizae (forming the so-called "wood wide web").

So, even if you could supply the missing premises/inferences, it's not clear why we should take the lead from the parts of the natural world that seem to ignore the relevant ethical principles as opposed to the parts that seem to be in accordance with them.

Moving on:

Re your proposal to "assimilate" colonised indigenous peoples and African Americans: of course I am intensely opposed to it, because it is genocide by another name. Who in their right mind would not intensely oppose genocide?
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:36 pm A tribal people, living off the land (more or less), without a written language and without a sophisticated material culture and technology will, simply by proximity, be subsumed into the dominant and dominating culture.
This is not inevitable and can be resisted. The awareness in colonial societies as to how deeply wrong they have been to deny an already-mistreated people their right to self-determination is slowly but surely increasing. We can only hope that this process is not hijacked by reactionaries.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:36 pm in South Africa we must take into consideration the people who took over the system and, as it is happening, run it into the ground. You are quite aware that I am referring to Black Africa itself. And you are also aware of the perception that *they cannot run a country* and they cannot *manage civilization*. And so we must then note that they never wanted it in the first place, did they? It was *imposed* on them by Europeans and European culture.
I haven't studied the situation in South Africa in much depth so I don't know how true this is, but I do know that there are a host of factors - aside from government corruption and presumed incapacity to run a country - that play into the mix, including an ongoing wealth gap with a lot of black poverty (and, if I'm remembering correctly, unemployment too). The legacy of Apartheid is far from over.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:36 pm What interests me is the 'turn against oneself'. The review of history, the revisioning of it, the vilification of historical processes, and the development of a kind of reverse-trajectory.
Again, according to whom do we determine the "unrevised" history? The original land thieves or their original victims? The answer will naturally be different in each case. You're not being objective here even whilst making unqualified statements which seem to be intended to be objective.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:36 pm Nothing is absolutely settled for me. In the final analysis I cannot say with clear certainty what *view* to cultivate and hold to.
Perhaps not, but you do have some... strong tendencies, at the very least.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:36 pm The entire conversation however is very interesting to me.
I'm not sure to what extent I play a part in that, but I can't promise to engage promptly going forward given my energy levels.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:36 pm One final note. When I said "I am nothing if not self-interested" it has a double-meaning. You take self-interest as a negative. But I transvalue it into a positive. If I cannot have self-interest I cannot, literally, build and achieve in the realm of becoming. I would be nothing if I did not have self-interest to accrue to me all that I do have, all that I am, and all that I choose to remain being.
Sure - self-interest is a positive in the sense of taking responsibility for oneself and having reasonable goals and objectives for oneself upon which one acts. It becomes a negative when those goals and objectives are pursued by unreasonably imposing on - and causing avoidable harm to - others. This applies as much at the level of human societies, races, cultures, and tribes as at the level of individuals.
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

iambiguous wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:15 pm What you have no interest in, in my view, is grounding your own moral objectivism in a discussion that revolves around a particular "conflicting good" given a particular context.
That too, except insofar as, and to the extent that, I'm already doing that with AJ.
iambiguous wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:15 pm From a post of mine over at ILP

[Content snipped for brevity]
I see. That helps me to understand.
iambiguous wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:15 pm Note to others:

You decide which of us is being more evasive.
I wrote only a little way into our exchange:
Harry Baird wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:41 am As I've repeated multiple times to IC recently, I've sufficiently expressed my arguments for the grounding of objective morality already in my first spate of posting to this forum quite a few years back, so I won't get into it again here with you.
That you want to discuss something that I have made it clear I don't want to doesn't make me "evasive". Only if I'd committed to that discussion in the first place - whether explicitly or implicitly - and I'd then dodged your questions and points, could you fairly accuse me of evasion. I didn't though. I explicitly told you I wasn't interested in having that discussion, and why.

What I was interested in was learning what you meant by "dasein".

It seems that for you, morality and dasein are intertwined, and that you are not interested in trying to parse out your meaning of "dasein" separately. Fine. That's your choice. It leaves me somewhat baffled, but such is life.