Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Christianity

Post by Age »

seeds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:16 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:56 pm
seeds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:46 pm
First of all, to me, the fact that you find it odd that the Creator of the universe would be interested in a human is the metaphorical equivalent of finding it odd that a fully grown human woman would be interested in the embryo forming in her womb.

And secondly, try not to be overwhelmed by the size of the universe, because, in a certain sense, your own mind is just as "infinite" as you imagine the universe to be (neither of which are actually infinite).
_______
Well, unless the universe is ours exclusively for the taking, then I would hope "God" hasn't set us up with competitors in other parts of it that might visit and either get in our way or push us out of the way. Otherwise, the probability that it won't be an even match is probably high and we humans don't have too great a history with respect to how we handle unfamiliar people or beings. If there's no other life in the universe, then sure, maybe we're made in God's image. If not, then maybe we're little more than pets in a divine goldfish bowl along with everything else.
Several of the members of this forum have gotten on my case for over-using my illustrations.
However, I keep getting into these same sorts of debates where I need to use them to help clarify the concepts I am proposing.

But some of the concepts, which you are proposing here, are just an empirical and logical IMPOSSIBILITY.
seeds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:16 pm So, here's the one I like to use to define what it means to be created in the image of God...

Here are a few of the captions:
"...God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.”
Realize that God's "true image" is in a form that allowed him to create the universe.
"...I shall change your vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto my glorious body, according to the working whereby I am able even to subdue all things unto myself..."
"...it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is..."
All of which implies that...
We and God are of the same "species" of being.
The true image of God is not that of our bodies, it is of our spirits [our eternal souls].
Now of course I don't expect you to simply accept what the illustration implies, however, it does provide us with what I believe is a proper (more elevated) interpretation of Christian metaphysics.

And lastly, just to quickly address the issue you raised about us being pitted against other "competitors" throughout the universe. If the true purpose of the universe is to function as a cosmic "womb" in which God is able to conceive her very own offspring (again, as is suggested in Christian metaphysics),...

...then as long as they have at least reached the human level of consciousness, then they too (their eternal "souls") would also be created in the image of God, regardless of the configuration of their outer (material) facades...

And like us, they also must experience a second and final birth (via death) in order to awaken into the higher (outer) context of reality where their true and eternal form (the same form as the Creator of this universe) will finally be revealed to them.

We're inside of a womb-like phenomenon, Gary, suspended in the cosmic "amnios" of our ultimate parent's spirit body. And just like it was when we were suspended in the amniotic water of our human mother's womb, we cannot see or comprehend what lies on the other side of God's "abdomen."
_______
IF you started off with premise that COULD actually BE POSSIBLE, then this would help you somewhat. BUT, IF you started off with premises that were ACTUALLY True, Right, AND Correct and remained with those ones ONLY, then this would help you TREMENDOUSLY in CLARIFYING.

you just, however, have to WAIT for those who are SEEKING ACTUAL CLARITY.

SEE, ALL of the ones you are DEBATING WITH here are just like you in that they ALREADY BELIEVE that they ALREADY KNOW what IS true, right, and correct here. And, just like you they are NOT OPEN to SEEKING ACTUAL CLARITY, FIRST
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:05 am
attofishpi wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:51 am We are on an English speaking forum, surely Christianity reads better than Xianity and only takes an extra five key presses. Still not sure how Xianity is pronounced, perhaps I need to live in Greece, learn Greek and find a forum there to discuss Christianity.
The 'X' comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Christós (Greek: Χριστός, translit. Khristós, lit. "anointed, covered in oil"), which became Christ in English.
OMG. Yes Jacobi, I have understood the point since Dubious made it. My point is, that it is disrespectful to use it here with ianity tapped on. (that is my personal opinion, and guess what, I am entitled to my opinion, and certainly as a Christian)

Post by Age »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:40 pm
seeds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:30 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:19 pm OMG .now we got star trek...wot moronic hell is this..
Are you calling me a moron because I use some playful imagery to get my point across to Gary?
Nobody can get anything across to Gary. He prefers the 'professionals' because they give him pills that dumb his mind down, thus we mere amateurs have no chance.

seeds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:30 pm That's okay, atto, just let your beautiful "Christian spirit" shine through for all to see. It's quite moving, especially how you constantly call people vile expletives that allude to a particular body part on a female.
Im pretty certain the times I've called people cunts Christ would have done the same.
LOL
LOL
LOL

At least you USED the 'pretty' word here.

seeds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:30 pm Oh, and by the way, Mr. do as I say, not as I do, as per you chastising Belinda in this particular exchange,...
Belinda wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:24 am The following is a reply to the original claim about Xianity.
Xianity will be taking another body blow now that the environmental crisis is become urgent, and people are scrambling around every man for himself.
attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:23 am Is it so hard to type Christianity?
...is it so hard for you to type "what" instead of "wot"?

I'd call you a hypocrite, but I think It's more of a lack of self-awareness.
_______
PLEASE explain wot Xianity is? I mean how the fuck does one pronounce that GENIUS?

wot = what - pretty simple

'wot' about ALL of the OTHER misspellings of words, which you continually keep MIS/USING?

It is VERY HYPOCRITICAL to QUESTION someone about is it SO HARD to type just ONE word when you do it with many words, continually.
attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:40 pm Nobody shows any respect for Christ around here...it's CHRIST_IANITY.
Is it SO HARD for you to type CHRIST_INSANITY?

Or, did you mean something ELSE?

Post by Age »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:10 pm
seeds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:04 pm

Nobody can get anything across to Gary. He prefers the 'professionals' because they give him pills that dumb his mind down, thus we mere amateurs have no chance.
I truly would be a moron if I was to swallow that load of deflecting horse crap. You clearly implied that my using images from Star Trek has drawn us into some kind of "moronic hell."

N̶i̶c̶e̶ try.
seeds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:30 pm That's okay, atto, just let your beautiful "Christian spirit" shine through for all to see. It's quite moving, especially how you constantly call people vile expletives that allude to a particular body part on a female.
attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:40 pm Im pretty certain the times I've called people cunts Christ would have done the same.
Now that is an example of what the word "moronic" actually means.
_______
Boo Hoo.

Are u going to explain how to pronounce Xianity?
Can you pronounce Xmas?

If yes, then what is the DIFFERENCE?

Post by Age »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:39 pm
Dubious wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:33 pm Why say Xmas instead of Christmas. Why would that and Xianity be so Greek to us since so much of our vocabulary, especially in philosophy and religion, is of Greek origin?
Well, I remember when I was a little tacker my Mum complaining about people writing Xmas on Christmas cards, it IS disrespectful. If yer atheist and can't be bothered to show some respect, then just write Season Greetings or woteva!
REALLY.

And, WHO is the DISRESPECT or RESPECT here meant to be being SHOWN TO, EXACTLY?

you mom?

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:50 pm
seeds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:30 pm
Are you calling me a moron because I use some playful imagery to get my point across to Gary?
It's not all that easy to quit meds. I've tried many times and eventually ended up psychotic every time. But if I didn't think talking to you all "amateurs" was worthwhile then I wouldn't. I'm just not keen on narrowing myself to a particular religious doctrine.
Except for the religious doctrine of 'agnoticism', right?
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:50 pm As I say, my hunch is that there is something to mysticism worth exploring and I believe all the seemingly different conscious states experienced by various mystics across the spectrum of human cultures, may very well point to some profound common core as to what it is to be a conscious human being in the world. Whether that core can only be explained as "divine" or "spiritual" or else by psychological and biological chemical interactions in the brain is perhaps debatable. But I've read that most mystics claim their experiences are ineffable and therefore any attempt to put their experiences in writing is fraught with potential for misunderstandings and misinterpretations. And I've read that mystics tend to shape their descriptions of their experiences per the customary prejudices present in their societies. Therefore, perhaps mystic experience can be achieved through whatever practice required to induce the state and perhaps the individual can experience much the same coming at it from any religious perspective once they achieve "mystic union" as they call it.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:45 am

It's not all that easy to quit meds. I've tried many times and eventually ended up psychotic every time. But if I didn't think talking to you all "amateurs" was worthwhile then I wouldn't. I'm just not keen on narrowing myself to a particular religious doctrine.

Agnosticism isn't a "religious doctrine". An agnostic is not "religious" and therefore if it is a doctrine, then agnosticism it's not a "religious" doctrine.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:18 am
attofishpi wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:47 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:19 am

Agnosticism is my preference. One can also be a theist (of any one of many different 'flavors') or an atheist. I don't see where agnosticism should bother anyone except those who insist that their god hates people that don't believe in him or her. I'm not going to push agnosticism on anyone other than to say it seems like the most rational way to approach divinity to me. But if others want to believe in divinities, then I'm not going to proverbially "lose sleep over it." That's their business.
The only criticism I have is that you stated you are going to make the rest of your life quest to seek the truth. (there are plenty of Sikhs around here also trying to do that :wink: ) So where within a reality that God exists and has advised faith in it's possible existence is required for IT to provide personal revelation...well, agnosticism isn't such a wise position.
Like I say, I'm pretty skeptical of God being a "personal" God who grants favors or else curses or whatever. A lot of people on Earth seem to suffer regardless of what religion they practice so I see little reason to think that anyone's version of God looks out for those who believe in it or does otherwise for those who don't. Also, the universe is a big place and if God didn't create the universe, then something else must have created the universe, in which case, should we be worshiping the creator of the universe or just the creator of Earth?
That is a strange comment. Personally I am with the ATHEISTS on that one, I don't believe the Earth or the Universe required a creator. It just happens to be so, that there is an intelligence that appears to have formed at least planet Earth (and it is a personable entity).

(Oh and worship - the God I know doesn't care for it)
Gary Childress wrote:Or when we leave our solar system do we have to switch to the local god of the next solar system we encounter? How does that work?
Yes, I've been considering that a God may have formed each galaxy. I guess if we went to another galaxy - (by way of our God teleporting us!!) - then our God may insist we show some respect for the other God! (and when in Rome, do as the Romans do)

Post by Age »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:51 am
seeds wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:35 am
Dubious wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:39 am To avoid any misunderstanding, I wouldn't use the X symbol for either term,...
Agreed. And neither would I.
Dubious wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:39 am In effect, there is nothing in the least disreputable in X, as a Greek abbreviation, being identified as an acceptable representation of the word, Christ. It's been used as such since the 1500s!
I was unaware of the Greek interpretation of X. Or, if I had come across it in my studies, it had no staying power in my aging brain.

Anyway, thanks for the information.
We are on an English speaking forum, surely Christianity reads better than Xianity and only takes an extra five key presses. Still not sure how Xianity is pronounced, perhaps I need to live in Greece, learn Greek and find a forum there to discuss Christianity.
Who else does 'that word' read, supposedly, 'better than' the 'other word', besides you and your mom, of course?

Post by Age »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:35 am
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:05 am
attofishpi wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:51 am We are on an English speaking forum, surely Christianity reads better than Xianity and only takes an extra five key presses. Still not sure how Xianity is pronounced, perhaps I need to live in Greece, learn Greek and find a forum there to discuss Christianity.
The 'X' comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Christós (Greek: Χριστός, translit. Khristós, lit. "anointed, covered in oil"), which became Christ in English.
OMG. Yes Jacobi, I have understood the point since Dubious made it. My point is, that it is disrespectful to use it here with ianity tapped on. (that is my personal opinion, and guess what, I am entitled to my opinion, and certainly as a Christian)
Finding some 'thing' DISRESPECTFUL like what 'you' do here, "attofishpi", is an opinion that "jesus christ", itself, would fine Truly ABSURD and Truly UNNECESSARY.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:47 am

Agnosticism isn't a "religious doctrine".
Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE?

Could the peoples of your day just had NOT YET LEARNED and become AWARE of what the 'religious' and 'belief' words were in relation to, EXACTLY?
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:47 am An agnostic is not "religious" and therefore if it is a doctrine, then agnosticism it's not a "religious" doctrine.
So, BELIEVING (in) some 'things' is 'religious', to you, but NOT 'religious' with OTHER 'things', right?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

seeds wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:35 am
I was unaware of the Greek interpretation of X. Or, if I had come across it in my studies, it had no staying power in my aging brain.

_______
Yeah, well, join the club! Unfortunately, in my case, there's a hell of a lot more than one that recently flew over the cuckoo's nest never to return! I have a feeling it's not the last flock to permanently leave! :( :mrgreen:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Attofishpi wrote:
We are on an English speaking forum, surely Christianity reads better than Xianity and only takes an extra five key presses. Still not sure how Xianity is pronounced, perhaps I need to live in Greece, learn Greek and find a forum there to discuss Christianity.
You make me self conscious! In evaluating which institutions are on the side of the angels Christianity is one of the foremost. Xians often have outdated , pre-enlightenment, ideas. And the hellish behaviour of many self styled Christians has been pointed out often on these pages. Nevertheless despite all that the core message of Christianity, altruism, is intact. I don't think it helps the cause of enlightened altruism to get het up about mere "disrespect" as Xianity must be in fighting mode now the crisis is upon us. Sheep and goats time now.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Belinda wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:59 am Attofishpi wrote:
You make me self conscious! In evaluating which institutions are on the side of the angels Christianity is one of the foremost. Xians often have outdated , pre-enlightenment, ideas. And the hellish behaviour of many self styled Christians has been pointed out often on these pages. Nevertheless despite all that the core message of Christianity, altruism, is intact. I don't think it helps the cause of enlightened altruism to get het up about mere "disrespect" as Xianity must be in fighting mode now the crisis is upon us. Sheep and goats time now.
That's ok and I wouldn't expect you to change your mode. '
Personally I think it reads poorly as Xianity, it's not something one can enunciate on reading the lettering. Pretty certain it's not a Greek thing to tap the X in front of ianity...I'd be surprised if any Christians would write it that way. Each to their own.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:26 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:47 am

Agnosticism isn't a "religious doctrine".
Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE?

Could the peoples of your day just had NOT YET LEARNED and become AWARE of what the 'religious' and 'belief' words were in relation to, EXACTLY?
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:47 am An agnostic is not "religious" and therefore if it is a doctrine, then agnosticism it's not a "religious" doctrine.
So, BELIEVING (in) some 'things' is 'religious', to you, but NOT 'religious' with OTHER 'things', right?
Agnosticism is not a "religious doctrine". Believing that 2+2=4 is not a religious doctrine. Believing in gravity is not a religious doctrine. Being unsure if the universe is finite or not isn't a "theory" in physics.
Last edited by Gary Childress on Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.