Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Age »

uwot wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:58 am
Age wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:53 am
uwot wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:24 pmAge, who are you quoting?
The people that think, say, or write that.
That's cheating Age; you don't get Brownie points for invoking a strawman. Only idiots waste their time countering arguments no one has made, like Mr Can.
Are you saying here that NO one has thought nor said this?

If NO one has thoughts like this, then WHY are there people like "yourself" who say and CLAIM that the Universe IS expanding and DID begin? What are these people basing their BELIFS and CLAIMS on, EXACTLY?

See, it is NOT only the people within "christian" 'relgions' who hold BELIEF in their "leaders" and have FAITH in 'religion' so to do the people within the "scientific" 'religions' who has hold BELIEF in their "leaders" and have FAITH in that 'religion'.

As evidenced and PROVEN by your own words "uwot".

Re: Christianity

Post by Age »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:03 pm
Age wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:37 am
Sculptor wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:29 pm

You can ask empty quesions till you are blue in the face and then one day you die never knowing there aint no answer.
And do 'you', "sculptor", KNOW, FOR SURE, WITHOUT ABSOLUTELY ANY DOUBT AT ALL, that there are some questions that for absolutely FOREVERMORE there will be ABSOLUTELY NO answers for?

If yes, then would you like to share some of those questions here with us readers?

If no, then WHY NOT?
Those questions have been asked since writing began. I have no doubt that they were asked long before the dawn of writing too (a thing for which no evidence is necessary).
And there have been no satisfactory, consistent, coherent, not verifiable answers.
But there is no shortage of smart Alecs who think they know better. Some are risible, you are hilarious.
And, you are too SCARED and AFRAID to provide those ALLEGED and SUPPOSED questions because if you did you could be PROVED Wrong, and you would absolutely HATE that "sculptor", correct?

What can also be CLEARLY SEEN here is that you are AGAIN to AFRAID and SCARED to just be truly Honest.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Age wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:01 am
uwot wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:58 amOnly idiots waste their time countering arguments no one has made, like Mr Can.
Yes Age; only you have said:
Age wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:42 pmI wonder if the irony in, "It is written in peer-reviewed scientific text. Therefore, it must be true", is also missed?
Age wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:01 amIf NO one has thoughts like this, then WHY are there people like "yourself" who say and CLAIM that the Universe IS expanding and DID begin? What are these people basing their BELIFS and CLAIMS on, EXACTLY?
Read these words Age:
There is a difference between a belief and a theory.
They will have made almost no impact on you, not because you are stupid, but because they undermine your belief that other people are. Your problem, well one of them, is that you have been infected with a conservative meme:
Age wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:01 amSee, it is NOT only the people within "christian" 'relgions' who hold BELIEF in their "leaders" and have FAITH in 'religion' so to do the people within the "scientific" 'religions' who has hold BELIEF in their "leaders" and have FAITH in that 'religion'.
Whatever the truth of that, scientific theories, even those which at some point are believed by some scientists, change in ways that religious beliefs do not. What conservative and particularly religious thinkers wish you to believe is that religion and science have equal stature; not because of something noble about religion, but instead by smearing science with the same dogmatism that plagues religion.
Age wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:01 amAs evidenced and PROVEN by your own words "uwot".
Only in your head Age.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:23 pm
uwot wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:58 amOnly idiots waste their time countering arguments no one has made, like Mr Can.
Yes, idiots and/or liars -- as such requires that they misinterpret and/or distort what others are saying, so that they can then state their CORRECTION! :lol:
Well, it's projection. Conservative (not exclusively politically conservative) thinkers often aren't terribly bright, certainly they don't embrace diversity and novelty in the way more interesting thinkers do. Basically they think there's just one plot, but with different characters.

Post by Age »

uwot wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:04 am
Age wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:01 am
Yes Age; only you have said:
Age wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:42 pmI wonder if the irony in, "It is written in peer-reviewed scientific text. Therefore, it must be true", is also missed?
Yes that is what I DID WRITE. But, are you now saying that you KNOW the thoughts of EVERY human being hitherto?

You did, after all, just state and claim that NO one has 'thought' that.
Age wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:01 amIf NO one has thoughts like this, then WHY are there people like "yourself" who say and CLAIM that the Universe IS expanding and DID begin? What are these people basing their BELIFS and CLAIMS on, EXACTLY?
Read these words Age:
There is a difference between a belief and a theory.
Yes I KNOW. I have pointed this Fact out previously.
uwot wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:04 am They will have made almost no impact on you, not because you are stupid, but because they undermine your belief that other people are.
Have you FORGOTTEN, or does being told thee ACTUAL Truth of things NOT have an impact on you?

Read these words AGAIN "uwot" - I HAVE NO BELIEFS.

By the way what does the word 'they' here refer to, EXACTLY. And, I have NEVER even thought that "other" people are stupid, let alone believed it.
uwot wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:04 am Your problem, well one of them, is that you have been infected with a conservative meme:
Age wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:01 amSee, it is NOT only the people within "christian" 'relgions' who hold BELIEF in their "leaders" and have FAITH in 'religion' so to do the people within the "scientific" 'religions' who has hold BELIEF in their "leaders" and have FAITH in that 'religion'.
Whatever the truth of that, scientific theories, even those which at some point are believed by some scientists, change in ways that religious beliefs do not.
Really?

In what ways do "scientific" 'religious' BELIEFS change in ways that other 'religious' BELIEFS do not?
uwot wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:04 am What conservative and particularly religious thinkers wish you to believe is that religion and science have equal stature; not because of something noble about religion, but instead by smearing science with the same dogmatism that plagues religion.
How do you KNOW what those things 'wish'?

Also, I gain my IRREFUTABLE Facts NOT from those things anyway.

Anyway, what those things 'wish for' has absolutely NOTHING AT ALL in regards to what I have just been saying and POINTING OUT here.
Age wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:01 amAs evidenced and PROVEN by your own words "uwot".
Only in your head Age.
Again, REALLY?

Would you like to even 'try' and PROVE your CLAIM here?

If yes, then GREAT.

But if no, then WHY NOT?

Post by Age »

uwot wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:37 am
Lacewing wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:23 pm
Yes, idiots and/or liars -- as such requires that they misinterpret and/or distort what others are saying, so that they can then state their CORRECTION! :lol:
Well, it's projection. Conservative (not exclusively politically conservative) thinkers often aren't terribly bright, certainly they don't embrace diversity and novelty in the way more interesting thinkers do. Basically they think there's just one plot, but with different characters.
Like the plots, "the earth is flat", "the sun revolves around the earth", and/or "the Universe began and is expanding", which some people STILL actually BELIEVE is true, in the days when this was being written.

And then the are some who actually BELIEVE the plot there is NO One Truth.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Age wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:06 am
Age wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:37 am

And do 'you', "sculptor", KNOW, FOR SURE, WITHOUT ABSOLUTELY ANY DOUBT AT ALL, that there are some questions that for absolutely FOREVERMORE there will be ABSOLUTELY NO answers for?

If yes, then would you like to share some of those questions here with us readers?

If no, then WHY NOT?
Those questions have been asked since writing began. I have no doubt that they were asked long before the dawn of writing too (a thing for which no evidence is necessary).
And there have been no satisfactory, consistent, coherent, not verifiable answers.
But there is no shortage of smart Alecs who think they know better. Some are risible, you are hilarious.
And, you are too SCARED and AFRAID to provide those ALLEGED and SUPPOSED questions because if you did you could be PROVED Wrong, and you would absolutely HATE that "sculptor", correct?
:P no.
Go ahead and "prove" me wrong.

What can also be CLEARLY SEEN here is that you are AGAIN to AFRAID and SCARED to just be truly Honest.
Run along little mouse.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Age wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:52 am... my IRREFUTABLE Facts...
The reason your facts are irrefutable is because you won't tell anyone what they are. Which makes this all the more laughable:
Age wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:06 amAnd, you are too SCARED and AFRAID to provide those ALLEGED and SUPPOSED questions because if you did you could be PROVED Wrong, and you would absolutely HATE that "sculptor", correct?
It's projection. Classic.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:01 am
Belinda wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:12 pm My point is that it is not such a big thing for me to thank God for my life as it is when somebody who is suffering thanks God for their life.
The opposite is also true.

They might have some cause -- or at least an understandable motivation -- to be tempted not to be quite as thankful as you, one might say.

Apparently, you say are not fortified with any such excuse: your life has gone well. Thank God.
Undoubtedly someone who experiences unremitting and unendurable suffering is unlikely to be motivated to thank anyone for it.

In the absence of anyone else to thank, I often do thank God for the good, the beautiful, and the true that I experience. On these occasions I am expressing feelings, but I am not exercising my reason.
owl of Minerva

Post by owl of Minerva »

By Emanuel Can:

“This is why, for example, the more ancient, well-inhabited places in the world, such as China and India, did not discover science. They had their own ad hoc "technologies," to be sure, like gunpower or cloth-making; but only in a very limited way. They remained backward countries, in spite of the fact that we know they not only had many people but many highly intelligent people under their regimes. What they lacked, and what Western Europe, starting with Bacon, was able to have was the systematic methodology that allowed technologies and discoveries to be integrated and expanded through discipined hypothesizing and testing.”

By owl of Minerva:

You are ignoring the nature of reality here. The human brain has two hemispheres, the world has two hemispheres. Each expresses according to what it emphasizes. We have not reached a point yet where both can be in balance and expressed accordingly. Leonardo Da Vinci expressed both hemispheres, having an analytical and artistic approach to life. Few people or cultures are capable of that balance. Also the cultures you mention had their higher ages when life was more in balance between the two modes of expressing.

The West is now experiencing an imbalance where some of its progress is beginning to backfire, as is its analytic approach to life. The churches are emptying out. Not everyone wants to sit erect in a pew on Sunday and listen to a sermon. People are turning to the East; to yoga and meditation.

To have a scientific approach to life and to be an artist in living life at the same time is not easy. It requires balance not to go too far, to go to extremes in one mode or the other. Two religions in the Dark Ages banned images. Protestantism did at the Reformation which led to an industrial mindset. When carried to extremes; the mind is too denuded, it can lead to inordinate greed; where nothing satisfies. To be too immersed in one mode of life gives satisfaction with a consequential inertia, two immersed in the other mode; greed.

At some point we may be able to balance both modes in ourselves and in the world. Until then it is best not to crow about where we are.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:22 pm
Belinda wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:12 pm My point is that it is not such a big thing for me to thank God for my life as it is when somebody who is suffering thanks God for their life.

They might have some cause -- or at least an understandable motivation -- to be tempted not to be quite as thankful as you, one might say.

Apparently, you say are not fortified with any such excuse: your life has gone well. Thank God.
Undoubtedly someone who experiences unremitting and unendurable suffering is unlikely to be motivated to thank anyone for it.
The oldest book in the Bible is Job. And it deals with this very subject: where is God when it hurts. The answer, of course, is that God is still God, and a Job discovers, too, God is still good.

Job himself says to God,

"I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear;
But now my eye sees You;

Therefore I retract,
And I repent, sitting on dust and ashes.”
(42:5-6)

I don't know if you know anyone whose suffering compares to that of Job, far less exceeds it. But the answer Job found is always the same: God knows best what each person needs to go through, in order to become a citizen of eternity. And whatever happens here, compared to eternity, it is, as Paul would say much later, "For our momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal." (2 Cor. 4: 17-18)

Compared to eternity, all suffering is ultimately but "momentary" and "light," no matter how we think of it. If it were necessary to produce eternal joy, we would all choose it freely. As hard as that might be for you to imagine from an earthly perspective, it's actually the only possible choice. Anything less is simply a failure to understand what's involved.
In the absence of anyone else to thank, I often do thank God for the good, the beautiful, and the true that I experience. On these occasions I am expressing feelings, but I am not exercising my reason.
Then, I regret to say, you are probably not actually thanking God at all...merely speaking to the stars, to Lady Luck, to the abyss from which our accidental existence allegedly sprang, or to some other minor deity one might choose to imagine. And I don't know why you'd be grateful to things you know are merely self-made fictions...but in all honesty, I wouldn't.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:49 pm That's a strange claim. It's only slightly more plausible than me saying, "I am a product of Edwardianism".

By all accounts, Modernism has been rendered a "dead" worldview since possibly the mid '70s, if not earlier. And "Modernity," such as it was, has passed into either "postmodernity" or possibly "post-postmodernity." It seems a little odd for one to say, "I'm stuck in something that is not the present, and can't get out." I don't know what to make of such a claim.
Yet I doubt that you failed to understand what I actually meant?

What I said is that once one has been taken out of a genuine, social and religious context where one's faith is a part of oneself, that it is difficult to enter back in. And I used the term 'modernism’ as a simple way to express the condition of having been removed.
AJ: "But recognizing and respecting hierarchies-of-value enables me to perceive that in the larger bulk of areas Christianity is at a higher level. But it took quite a number of years of direct study to prove to myself that this is true."
IC: "That's interesting. How did you come to that?"
Largely through a process of turning against many of the assertions that operate strongly in our present. This process, reflecting an inner need, or evolution, arrived at organically, was stimulated by my reading of Richard Weaver and Robert Bork.

Another important element was some years spent on a forum started by some Australian fellows who felt that the necessary evolution in the Occident was through rationalism, Buddhism and an atheism that was adamantly counter-Christian, if not to say anti-Christian. I realized that the motive of these individuals was important -- to reconnect with authentic currents on which a full and proper living could be constructed -- but finally I realized that they were missing all the important pieces.

And when I realized this I concluded that it would be wise to consider and reconsider every category that they rejected with such adamancy. It was then that I realized that I could gain great advantage by realizing that our culture had gone off its rails and was rejecting the core elements that made it what it was. And if this was so (and I am convinced it is so) it therefore was necessary to rediscover, to reencounter, to reanimate my own relationship with the 'fundamental categories'.

So through this process I thought: "Our culture has rejected Christianity", which is true in a wide, general sense, and because this is so it is likely because it has rejected what is most important because of core, essential, confusion and misunderstanding. I certainly realized that all these errors had operated in me, and in the culture I grew up in. As I said previously I am a product of definite forms of radicalism. But I use that word in its common sense. Used in that way it means extremist rejectionism while simultaneously other traditions, other modalities, are explored with tremendous force.

I am attempting to explore and refine a Euro-centric radicalism if radical is taken as *root*. Philosophically that is where I stand. And this must combine itself with *praxis* (and I am not using this in its Marxist sense!)
[Medieval Latin prāxis, from Greek, from prāssein, prāg-, to do.]
Here, you will remember that I have referred often to paideia. That which is at the core of *European being*.

Overall, the project I have stumbled into is one of recovering and protecting *Europe*. In this sense (I assume this is obvious and was when I was writing under the name Gustav Bjornstrand) I have been exploring a very defined and strong Conservatism but one that borders into Traditionalism. I am not any less convinced that this is necessary. While I agree that Christianity should be -- as you describe it -- a path of inner rebirth in relation to a transformative divinity, I also feel that there are related, though lesser, octaves of this that are expressed by people who cannot or will not submit themselves to the processes you outline. And yet in my view they must be rallied, they must be worked with and also respected for their difference of emphasis.

So this leads me, necessarily, to what seems to be a far more open stance than the one you have. I see Christianity as a very very wide field and there are a wide array of ways to engage with it. In my case (as I said) I define myself as an 'intellectual Christian' but this more in relation to external relationships. The inner relationship is something distinct, different, and personal.

But the most important things, that is according to the way I see things, is to recognize the need to protect Occidental cultures (the West, Europe, term it as you wish) from those forces that eat away at it. I think that a person could respect and even *love* Christian Europe, and seek to work with those who are religiously oriented (where the sole motor of protection and renovation resides), while not being oneself a 'person of faith' and possibly even not a 'believer'.

Because one has arrived, through mental processes, intellectual processes, at an understanding. I do not mean to say here that I myself do not have an inner spiritual life and connection, I do, but my orientation is intellectual clarification and description (similar to what yours seems to be and many who write on this philosophy forum).

So I have to be far more open and far more forgiving, let's say, than you appear to be. But I do not disrespect your adamancy. Defending the *cores* is crucial work. There is no way around it.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:01 pm I used the term 'modernity' as a simple way to express the condition of having been removed.
An unusual use of the term. I didn't recognize what you meant.

I don't ordinarily think of Modernity as "removing" anybody from anything. And it seems to me that it's essentially a defunct term, by way of having been relegated to history, like "Edwardian" or "Medieval." I don't really think anybody's "Modern" today.
This process, reflecting an inner need, or evolution, arrived at organically, was stimulated by my reading of Richard Weaver and Robert Bork.

I've read both Weaver and Bork, and enjoyed both. But for some reason, they did not have quite the same effect on me. They didn't make me "evolve" out of anything. Was it because I was already "there"? Maybe. I found myself agreeing with them often.
...realizing that our culture had gone off its rails and was rejecting the core elements that made it what it was. And if this was so (and I am convinced it is so) it therefore was necessary to rediscover, to reencounter, to reanimate my own relationship with the 'fundamental categories'.

Well, I think there's a lot to that critique. The West is indeed presently "eating its own flesh" by undermining all the fundamental values that made the West and "Modernity" possible in the first place.

But here's a thought: what is it that allowed that to happen? I ask, because if we don't know the answer to that question, and if we just campaign for some sort of resetting-to-the-Western-past, then what is there to prevent the same cycle from happening again? Something, apparently, in that worldview opened up the possibility of us getting to where we are now, eating our own flesh. How do we make sure that that never happens again, if we don't know what made it happen in the first place?

Or to put it another way, "Postmodernism" is sometimes called "Late Modernism." And there is truth to both names. Something was terribly wrong with Modernity, and Postmodernism tries to pick out what that was, critique it, suspect it, and reject it. But in a very real sense, Postmodernism is insufficiently different from Modernity: it's really the fruit of the Modern "tree" rotting and falling off, at the end of the withering of Modernist optimisms, one might say. It's the "late" form of dysfunctional "Modernity."

This raises the essential problem: what are we going back TO? If it's to the way things were at the turn of the previous century, then what's to keep us from sliding into a similar, or worse, place than we find ourselves in now?
So through this process I thought: "Our culture has rejected Christianity",

Well, it's not really "Christianity." What our culture has really rejected is a pseudo-Christian posture, one that was uncommitted to Christianity at a ground level of commitment, but was happy to be nominal in its allegiances and to milk the benefits of maintaining a vaguely "Judeo-Christian" style of moralizing.

I don't think the evidence is good that this society, this culture in the West, has every really understood or responded to Christianity at all. And as soon as anybody starts talking about "a Christian culture," I know they're speaking about that. So far, the West has only been willing to go along with the demands of Christ to the point that they became inconvenient -- unhelpful to things like trade, or desire, or ambition, or comfort -- and then no farther.

As Chesterton once so pithily put it, “The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult; and left untried.”
Overall, the project I have stumbled into is one of recovering and protecting *Europe*. In this sense (I assume this is obvious and was when I was writing under the name Gustav Bjornstrand) I have been exploring a very defined and strong Conservatism but one that borders into Traditionalism. I am not any less convinced that this is necessary. While I agree that Christianity should be -- as you describe it -- a path of inner rebirth in relation to a transformative divinity, I also feel that there are related, though lesser, octaves of this that are expressed by people who cannot or will not submit themselves to the processes you outline. And yet in my view they must be rallied, they must be worked with and also respected for their difference of emphasis.
It would seem to me you're realizing what I said above, but in other words, and perhaps less bluntly. You speak of "people who cannot or will not submit themselves to the processes you outline," i.e. nominal "Christians" who are not willing to pay the price of actually being Christians.

Christ Himself speaks of the existence of such people, and he says, "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, “I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have no need of anything,” and you do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked..." (Rev. 3:15-17)

Can you mobilize such people? Can you "rally" them, "work with" them, and "respect" their luke-warmness? Should any real Christian want to do so, since Christ finds such people so viscerally revolting?

I submit to you that such people are not likely to be reliable allies for anything. They are both too earth-bound to be any use for Heaven, and too nominall religious to be any good for Earth. They'd be better off as Atheists...at least then they would be something definite, rather than mere corrupters of truth.

In fact, nominalism among those professing to be "Christian" is the very reason why Christianity was so easy for the West to dismiss in the first place, I think.
The inner relationship is something distinct, different, and personal.
It is. But without it, one is not a Christian at all. One is merely one of the nominalists.
But the most important things, that is according to the way I see things, is to recognize the need to protect Occidental cultures (the West, Europe, term it as you wish) from those forces that eat away at it. I think that a person could respect and even *love* Christian Europe, and seek to work with those who are religiously oriented (where the sole motor of protection and renovation resides), while not being oneself a 'person of faith' and possibly even not a 'believer'.
That's actually a very "Modern" kind of optimism. Dewey, among others, was fond of that view. The idea of the "Judeo-Christian consensus" was of a race to the lowest common moral denominators, supposed to allow Jews, Christians and Catholics to get along, and their morality to dominate society, while the particulars of faith were left to the private sphere. What eventually brought that project to grief was the arrival of groups harder to assimilate into the "Judeo-Christian" minimum: the Orthodox first, but also Free Thinkers and secularists, and Animists, Materialists, Egoists, Hedonists, and then Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims, etc., etc.

It got too hard to reconcile it all. The lowest common moral denominator turned out to be so low that any sense of common moral orientation failed completely. It turned out that there was no "Judeo-Christian consensus" at all; that the whole project had been a mere temporary compromise, but one that failed the first test of multiculturalism.

I don't think a return to that makes any sense today. And I know it makes no sense for real Christians. The nominalists...I think even they have given up that hope.
So I have to be far more open and far more forgiving, let's say, than you appear to be. But I do not disrespect your adamancy. Defending the *cores* is crucial work. There is no way around it.
I see what you're saying. Like Dewey, you're hoping to revive some common minimum, and thus save society. I just don't think you're going to find many buyers anymore.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:57 pm
Belinda wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:22 pm

The oldest book in the Bible is Job. And it deals with this very subject: where is God when it hurts. The answer, of course, is that God is still God, and a Job discovers, too, God is still good.

Job himself says to God,

"I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear;
But now my eye sees You;

Therefore I retract,
And I repent, sitting on dust and ashes.”
(42:5-6)

I don't know if you know anyone whose suffering compares to that of Job, far less exceeds it. But the answer Job found is always the same: God knows best what each person needs to go through, in order to become a citizen of eternity. And whatever happens here, compared to eternity, it is, as Paul would say much later, "For our momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal." (2 Cor. 4: 17-18)

Compared to eternity, all suffering is ultimately but "momentary" and "light," no matter how we think of it. If it were necessary to produce eternal joy, we would all choose it freely. As hard as that might be for you to imagine from an earthly perspective, it's actually the only possible choice. Anything less is simply a failure to understand what's involved.
Then, I regret to say, you are probably not actually thanking God at all...merely speaking to the stars, to Lady Luck, to the abyss from which our accidental existence allegedly sprang, or to some other minor deity one might choose to imagine. And I don't know why you'd be grateful to things you know are merely self-made fictions...but in all honesty, I wouldn't.
I have thought of Job, and I don't understand how his story explains evil in the presence of good all-powerful God. I gather that he was by nature a very patient very faithful man. I doubt if patience and faith are worthy qualities when we are having to face evil maybe not to ourself but to countless others not all of them human by any means. Men have to combat evil, not accept it.

I disagree with you about undirected expression of awe, or gratitude. It is not possible to communicate with most things in the environment, so we need to express the feelings by non-rational means.

Post by Age »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:55 am
Age wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:06 am

:P no.
Go ahead and "prove" me wrong.
Obviously you have MISSED THE POINT, AGAIN, that you HAVE TO ACTUALLY answer the question FIRST, by providing the ACTUAL questions, BEFORE ANY one is even able to begin to PROVE you wrong here.
Sculptor wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:55 am

Run along little mouse.
As I was saying.